Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I stumbled into the secret you can unlock from the very first starting point in The Witness, just by looking randomly in the right spot. Without context since I hadn't played any of the actual game yet, I was very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

happyhippy posted:

The part of The Witness and Talos that pissed me off was when it goes from small contained puzzles, to 'you need to be standing in the correct position, angle, and looking in the exact specific angle to see that you can connect to something a mile away' ones.

Those are as far as I remember optional though, so they don't hinder you from finishing the game

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jack Trades posted:

Current Bottom 10 games on Steam.

I'd have purged spacebase DF9 from my account personally.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I'd have purged spacebase DF9 from my account personally.

It's there as a reminder to punch Tim Schafer in the face if I ever meet him for some reason.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thimbleweed Park's finale made me say "holy poo poo" out loud at how goddamn stupid it is

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

Thimbleweed Park's finale made me say "holy poo poo" out loud at how goddamn stupid it is

WELL AKUALLY that's Ron Gilbert i.e. the other Luscasarts guy

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hwurmp posted:

Ron Gilbert only knows how to end a game one way

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mycot posted:

WELL AKUALLY that's Ron Gilbert i.e. the other Luscasarts guy

I know, the timing is just coincidence

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

The Gripper posted:

The Witness' later puzzles really needed you to be loving them for peak enjoyment, so the difficulty for me was that I preferred the puzzles at about the mid-point of the game and was more interested in the (light) story and exploration by the late game.

I enjoyed it up until around where I quit but I'm too old to play a game that's getting tedious and repetitive just for the payoff of knowing I finished it. The puzzle I quit on was pretty late in the game, not long after you've done enough lasers and get back to the mountain.

The Looker really scratched an itch. It nails the Witness so completely that I'm not surprised JBlow hates it. I don't think The Looker was doing it purposefully but it skewers a lot of his opinions on The Witness being this untouchable, unreproducible masterpiece.

I'd be all over a similar puzzle game that doesn't spike in difficulty at the end, I think just casually doing some challenging puzzles and exploring a mysterious island is a cool concept and people should do it more.

Taiji is in a lot of ways a 2d Witness without the pretension. I had a really good time with it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141580/Taiji/

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Gromit posted:

With The Witness, if a puzzle looks like nonsense you probably missed an earlier one nearby that worked you up to what it needs you to do.

There's a delicate and admittedly difficult balance between subtly guiding a player to "stumble across" the thing that reveals something and making it too obvious and gamey. The problem I had with The Witness is that wandering around looking at stuff is just not interesting enough to keep me looking long enough to make up for the lack of visual guidance.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Was there ever a fan attempt to do something with Spacebase?

Kinda bummed people are so down on Witness, and discovering Blow is a shithead. Absolutely loved the game at the time.

Also appreciated it when I got an HDR tv, but it kinda caused some of the colour puzzles to be easier to cheese.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, some dudes rethemed it for fantasy. It's called Dwarf Fortress.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, but it went nowhere from what I recall. Double Fine open-sourced it and then nobody seemed to have the passion to tame the lackluster code when there were just flat-out better games to work with or mod by that point.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've started playing Stray Gods and I have been having a blast! Honestly, the only issue I have with this game so far has been the fact that I'm not able to make a save for every song; I'm pretty happy in my choices, I just want to hear some of them again!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

Oh man, monkey's paw wish right there. The Homeworld remaster was hot trash for the OG game as they basically forward ported it as a total conversion mod for their shiny new Homeworld 2 engine. Was a total mess with a bunch of mechanics not implemented.

That was, AFAIK, mostly if not entirely fixed in later patches.

Bad Seafood posted:

I remember reading an article that said "The Witness is Jonathan Blow's answer to Myst."

After checking out the Witness I'm pretty sure it was a wrong answer.

The comparison between the two has always been bizarre to me. Like, I aint gonna say The Witness has zero percent Myst in the mix, but beyond "island + puzzles" their sensibilities are wildly different.

The earlier comparison of Pyst to The Looker was similarly kinda nutty, but mostly because it's unfair to The Looker which is genuinely a good game on its own merits while Pyst was a half-baked shovelware joke from a company that specialized in half-baked shovelware jokes.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

no one remembers the superior myst parody game, "mylk"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7xAi19R1cg

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

Also if it helps, Jon Blow hates The Looker and even mentioning it on his Twitch streams will get you banned from his chat.

Very funny to me because the looker is clearly made by someone who loves the witness. Jblow has such a fragile ego

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if he wasn't so unbearably arrogant then blow could have had a decent reputation as one of the vanguards of modern indie games (iirc Braid was a flagship title for xbox live)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

pyst had john goodman. the looker did not have john goodman. pyst > the looker

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Titan Quest 2

no release date

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1154030/Titan_Quest_II/

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

huh. ok sure

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Grimlore should be a good fit, they're really good at making absolutely gorgeous isometric environments, which was definitely TQ's strong point.

E: I wonder if it's gonna take place solely in Greece tho? The first game was pretty globe-spanning, for better or worse.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol is GBO2 on PC still that busted

It has a lot of jank
  • No mouse support in menus at all, you have to navigate them all with arrow keys / wasd.
  • The keyboard keys just pass down to an emulated ps4 controller so some key combinations lead to weird broken behavior if they lead to overlapping button combinations on the imaginary controller. For example boost is ps4 X, and "quickswap to weapon 2" is R1+X, so on PC you can't swap to weapon 2 while boosting no matter what keyboard keys you bind those two buttons to. This is especially bad because a lot of combos require you to do stuff like stun an enemy with your gun and then swap to your beam saber while boosting into range for it. But there are ways around it.
  • The matchmaking is kinda broken, it will often randomly fail mid search and then instead of automatically re-trying it kicks you out of the menu back to the hub zone so you have to talk to the npc and go through all the menus to restart it.
    This was way more common at launch (at peak hours in the most popular modes it happened like 90% of the time) but seems to have gotten better as the playerbase dropped
  • Sometimes a "ghost" player gets stuck in a matchmaking room taking up a player slot and you'll be frozen at 9/10 forever unable to fill the room. The only option is to quit and re-queue.
  • Launched with nonfunctional anticheat. The clan function on pc has now been disabled for weeks as cheaters were giving themselves infinite clan xp to get free resources
  • Bad party support, groups get automatically disbanded after every game so if you want to play with friends you have to constantly re-invite them between matches.
  • The UI for actually choosing your robot before a match is also pretty bad and janky. There are different power levels of gundams from 100 to 700 and each ranked mode is tied to one specific power level, so if you queue for 500 ranked you can only play 500 suits and not the low power 250 grunts or the 700 main-character suits that would wipe the floor with them. But the menu for picking something to play still lists all of your invalid non-selectable suits until you set up a filter, which you have to do again every time you open it. The menu is also kinda slow and laggy in general.

The actual gameplay is pretty fun though and I've been playing+liking it a lot.

I will say though that it has a big focus on stuff like stuns and a lot of players just really hate getting stunlocked in pvp games so some of the people who somehow get past all the other jank are probably rating it down just for that.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 11, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm stoked. I thought Spellforce 3 was really good and fun, so Grimlore getting a shot at this franchise is really cool.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think I'm quite burnt out on ARPGs.... But I'll still probably buy it and play it at least a little bit.

I hope they keep the feature where birds necks could get stuck on trees and stretch real long.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

That was, AFAIK, mostly if not entirely fixed in later patches.

The comparison between the two has always been bizarre to me. Like, I aint gonna say The Witness has zero percent Myst in the mix, but beyond "island + puzzles" their sensibilities are wildly different.

The earlier comparison of Pyst to The Looker was similarly kinda nutty, but mostly because it's unfair to The Looker which is genuinely a good game on its own merits while Pyst was a half-baked shovelware joke from a company that specialized in half-baked shovelware jokes.

I think it helps to think of The Witness Island as more glorified puzzle book than a coherent backdrop.

Orv
May 4, 2011

As both an abominable Titan Quest and Spellforce enjoyer this could be pretty cool.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tempest Rising, a biggish budget C&Clike also has a demo out now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486920/Tempest_Rising/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mordja posted:

Tempest Rising, a biggish budget C&Clike also has a demo out now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486920/Tempest_Rising/

Please be good, please be good, please be good :pray:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mordja posted:

E: I wonder if it's gonna take place solely in Greece tho? The first game was pretty globe-spanning, for better or worse.

Seems that way

Return to the classic mythology-inspired setting of Titan Quest and go toe-to-toe with the legendary monsters in this action-packed RPG as you journey across a fantastical reimagining of ancient Greece!

Nemesis, Goddess of Retribution, is out of control. She is corrupting the Threads of Fate and is punishing all those who oppose her. Pick up your weapon, fight epic battles alongside the Gods and change fate itself in Titan Quest II!

But I honestly wouldn't mind

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

if he wasn't so unbearably arrogant then blow could have had a decent reputation as one of the vanguards of modern indie games (iirc Braid was a flagship title for xbox live)

Say what you want about him, he didn't end up like Phil Fish.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Also from that THQ event, the upcoming reboot of Alone In The Dark featuring David Harbour and Jodie Comer has a downloadable "prologue" (in which apparently you are a different character from those two).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1310410/Alone_in_the_Dark/

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Is the TQ2 coming from Grim Dawn devs or from the TQ later expansions developers (or similar)? That's honestly my biggest question.

Even though Jonathan definitely blows, The Witness definitely was one of the best of that year for me. I haven't had that kind of strokes of just suddenly understanding the problem or mechanics in a puzzle game elsewhere than something like Baba Is You. The whole playing experience just flowed smoothly as hell for me. On comparison Talos Principle felt much more standard a puzzle game. The whole deeper padding and theme around both was just pretty eh. But they are both great games and really looking forward to Talos Principle 2.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lunsku posted:

Is the TQ2 coming from Grim Dawn devs or from the TQ later expansions developers (or similar)? That's honestly my biggest question.

It's a different studio making TQ2, not even one that was credited with the Titan Quest expansions made in more recent years.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 11, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The team that did Spellforce 3 and its expansions are developing Titan Quest 2. I enjoyed that game a lot too so I have high hopes for Titan Quest 2.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Say what you want about him, he didn't end up like Phil Fish.

did phil fish cape for more white supremacists than blow did?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mierenneuker posted:

Also from that THQ event, the upcoming reboot of Alone In The Dark featuring David Harbour and Jodie Comer has a downloadable "prologue" (in which apparently you are a different character from those two).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1310410/Alone_in_the_Dark/

The protagonist there was a playable character in the original series.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oh poo poo that's my favourite ARPG ever.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Speaking of ARPGs, now that Ghostlore has been out for a bit, has anyone played it? Impressions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Weedle posted:

did phil fish cape for more white supremacists than blow did?

It was the dude's brand to be not-so-subtly racist. He was one of the front-and-center faces for the talks about how inferior Japanese games couldn't possibly match up to Western works of genius.

To his credit he appears to have walked that back somewhat and seems to have chilled out but he exploded pretty hard for a while there. He's kind of the poster boy for "mild success gets right up his own rear end" and unfortunately for him the part where he was a weird racist and told people to kill themselves is going to be remembered a lot more than the part where he chilled out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 11, 2023