Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

My loose understanding is that Iran is a large enough country that a US/allies invasion would not have a high chance of actually toppling the government. The nuclear deterrent would be a way to make the cost going high enough that even a truly desperate American president would not take the gamble.

Having the nuclear weapon isn't even about using it - its about Iran recognizing its the only way to keep a US invasion away AND the only way to be taken seriously on the geopolitical stage.

mlmp08 posted:

Here is the ODNI unclassified document on missile and nuclear development. Iran is pursuing a tech to be able to "sprint" to a nuclear weapon or long-range missiles if they made the policy decision to do so. But for now, they are electing not to develop these capabilities.
https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/Iran-Nuclear-Weapons-Capability-and-Terrorism-Monitoring-Act-of-2022.pdf

Yup. Iran is taking the Japanese method with Nuclear Weapons - Have all the parts there, everything ready so that if you suddenly have a need, its a matter of weeks to getting it built. Like you said, a sprint program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite thing to ask in Iran Nuke discourse is "Why shouldn't they have them?"

No one has had a real good answer on that one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

My favorite thing to ask in Iran Nuke discourse is "Why shouldn't they have them?"

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. They are surrounded by angry neighbors and constantly have sword rattling geopolitical adversaries making noise about them.

Not to say that Iran's government is good or anything, but frankly it makes 100% sense for Iran to pursue them. Hell, we're practically the ones that motivate them to do so.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bulletsponge13 posted:

The main answers seemed to be 'they'd nuke Israel' or 'they'd give one to terrorists.'

In the 1970s perhaps these were more understandable worries, but it has been long enough now that I'm starting to think everyone's run the numbers on nuclear terrorism and it doesn't add up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

The main answers seemed to be 'they'd nuke Israel' or 'they'd give one to terrorists.'

In the 1970s perhaps these were more understandable worries, but it has been long enough now that I'm starting to think everyone's run the numbers on nuclear terrorism and it doesn't add up.

Especially given that Mutually Assured Destruction would apply, and Israel no doubt has nuclear weapons.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

Because nuclear proliferation is bad. It puts more nukes in the hands of unstable governments/leaders who are going to be more inclined to use them.

They do not provide any actual deterrent effect. The US has been prepared for a nuclear battlefield for 75 years. A couple of nukes aren't going to scare them. Beyond that, unless you have enough for MAD, using one simply assures your own destruction in retaliation.

Countries with nukes also have large conventional militaries, and it is the conventional military that provides the deterrence, not the nukes.

Nukes have no practical value to a small country. They're a waste of money.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I mean, if you're Iran's current government: the only reason not to have them is that it might provoke even more aggression or someone else nuking you first to be sure they don't get nuked first.

If you're everyone else: because Iran's current government is a theocratic state that would probably use the nuke as leverage to get away with even more hosed up things than they already do, also there's every chance they'd trade the know-how of how to produce nukes, and probably some of the spare parts for it, to other states that we similarly do not want to be even more immune to outside pressure.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Because nuclear proliferation is bad. It puts more nukes in the hands of unstable governments/leaders who are going to be more inclined to use them.

They do not provide any actual deterrent effect. The US has been prepared for a nuclear battlefield for 75 years. A couple of nukes aren't going to scare them. Beyond that, unless you have enough for MAD, using one simply assures your own destruction in retaliation.

Countries with nukes also have large conventional militaries, and it is the conventional military that provides the deterrence, not the nukes.

I think the deterrent is the prospect of having a nuke go off on your invasion force or fleet, destroying a large chunk of it. You also get the thorny question of using a country using a nuclear weapon in its own territory, which seems like a very likely "actual" use case to me, but which I do not often see discussed.

Most of this is the new imperial reality Dick Cheney and co made, I guess. Thanks, Dick!

e: Like to be clear I am not in favor of these countries being more resistant to Western pressure, in and of itself, but to bring it back to the core topic, what if Ukraine had had a small nuclear force held in reserve? Would Russia have invaded at all? A question I imagine Zelensky and his cabinet have wondered about at least once.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nessus posted:

I think the deterrent is the prospect of having a nuke go off on your invasion force or fleet, destroying a large chunk of it. You also get the thorny question of using a country using a nuclear weapon in its own territory, which seems like a very likely "actual" use case to me, but which I do not often see discussed.

Most of this is the new imperial reality Dick Cheney and co made, I guess. Thanks, Dick!

e: Like to be clear I am not in favor of these countries being more resistant to Western pressure, in and of itself, but to bring it back to the core topic, what if Ukraine had had a small nuclear force held in reserve? Would Russia have invaded at all? A question I imagine Zelensky and his cabinet have wondered about at least once.

And the US would take that into account in their invasion plans. If they were serious about it, a couple nukes wouldn't slow them down in the least.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Nuclear Proliferation is bad, but at this point its a genie that is well out of the bottle and the knowledge and capability is out there, we are hardly the ones who are going to be bottling proliferation back in. Especially given our inability to honor our treaties/agreements.

And Deterrence is questionable, yes, but it also has a noted impact on the willingness of risking an army in the first place, regardless of the size of the opposing army.

Deteriorata posted:

And the US would take that into account in their invasion plans. If they were serious about it, a couple nukes wouldn't slow them down in the least.

Eh, no, I don't think we'd even risk the first step if we believed the other side would use them, there'd be a general global outcry to using nuclear weapons even in response and its a political poison pill.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 11, 2023

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

The real thorny issue with Iran is that negotiating to silo the nuclear proliferation issue and the regional destabilisation issue was a 'best of a bad situation' solution rather than one anyone actually liked.

Anyway on the worlds worst army to be in:

https://twitter.com/intermarium24/status/1689732601026609152

It's like a can of coconut milk without any of the coconut part, just the water.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
France's MAD policy claims they will just fuckin first strike your major cities if you gently caress with them hard enough , too. Of course tactically they're most useful against bunched up invasion forces, but strategically that means you've nuked your own territory with all the run-on effects that'll have. Perun did some really good videos with some sections about different pros and cons of different nuclear deterrent strategies. I could see Iran going for the same angle for their program too, even though they'd ultimately lose the war. They'd still make it so domestically costly to any aggressor nation who'd lose a few major metropolitan centers to nukes, that it wouldn't be worth invading them at all.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

One of the best answers is that then a some of its neighbors might also pursue them. Not sure I love the idea of KSA and Iran being in a nuclear arms race, UAE joining in, etc.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Nuclear Proliferation is bad, but at this point its a genie that is well out of the bottle and the knowledge and capability is out there, we are hardly the ones who are going to be bottling proliferation back up.

And Deterrence is questionable, yes, but it also has a noted impact on the willingness of risking an army in the first place, regardless of the size of the opposing army.

Eh, no, I don't think we'd even risk the first step if we believed the other side would use them, there'd be a general global outcry to using nuclear weapons even in response and its a political poison pill.

On the contrary, a country using nukes as a first strike would instantly turn international opinion against themselves. The US would not need to respond with nukes - they would have international backing to obliterate the country with their conventional forces.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, it wouldn't deter a well-thought out genuine strategic plan, but it seems like it would deter someone deciding to try for that George W. Bush re-elex bump.

Deteriorata posted:

On the contrary, a country using nukes as a first strike would instantly turn international opinion against themselves. The US would not need to respond with nukes - they would have international backing to obliterate the country with their conventional forces.
Ah, so you're saying we just have to invade and bait out their nukes and then we'll build an international coalition of support against the people who we invaded in the first place? Sounds like a reason to let them have nukes :dukedog:

Nessus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 11, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

If used against aggressor invading, I don't think that would work. Outcry if Iran used it again, say, Iraq or Israel. Sure.

But using a nuclear weapon in defense of their own territory would not likely bring the same outcry.

Nessus posted:

Yeah, it wouldn't deter a well-thought out genuine strategic plan, but it seems like it would deter someone deciding to try for that George W. Bush re-elex bump.

Pretty much, and that's what most of these come back to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Worth noting despite the level of effort, even the best estimates are that it only slowed their enrichment process by 6-8 months.

Yeah, but it was the Trinity test of malware targeting industrial control systems, developed through a clandestine program that was pretty breathtaking in scope for the post-Cold War era.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Yeah, but it was the Trinity test of malware targeting industrial control systems, developed through a clandestine program that was pretty breathtaking in scope for the post-Cold War era.

Oh no, it was amazing. One of my first malware analysis was working on looking into its impacts on SCADA controllers. It was amazing work.

But it also really didn't achieve the goal of setting them back enough for it to be worthwhile. In fact, the real value was more showing how they could slip in through an air gapped network, less the virus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

In fact, the real value was more showing how they could slip in through an air gapped network, less the virus.

What's funny is that I still deal with plenty of customers (laughably, most of them in the Middle East) who insist that data diodes and airgaps are an essential part of OT network security.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

What's funny is that I still deal with plenty of customers (laughably, most of them in the Middle East) who insist that data diodes and airgaps are an essential part of OT network security.

Yeah Airgaps have value, but treating them as an end all is the real problem. So many companies are looking for final security solutions rather than mitigations or controls that can be overwhelmed or bypassed and forgetting that security requires persistent upkeep and review.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nessus posted:

My loose understanding is that Iran is a large enough country that a US/allies invasion would not have a high chance of actually toppling the government. The nuclear deterrent would be a way to make the cost going high enough that even a truly desperate American president would not take the gamble.

True, but keep in mind the president most likely to order such an invasion would not be able to explain who the Shah was, what Shia Islam is, or locate the country on a map, and could look forward to retirement in unimaginable comfort no matter the outcome of the war.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

True, but keep in mind the president most likely to order such an invasion would not be able to explain who the Shah was, what Shia Islam is, or locate the country on a map, and could look forward to retirement in unimaginable comfort no matter the outcome of the war.
Doin' it

Now what?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Maybe if there wasn't a global superpower that regularly fucks over middle eastern countries for political capital back home, constantly refers to Iran as an evil nation and provides direct military support to their opponents in the region, they wouldn't be so keen on developing nukes?

From my very much non expert view, is there really anything Iran does that our delightful friends the Saudis and Israelis don't?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My man Iran literally hands out ballistic missiles to terrorist groups, they are by a country mile the worst actor in this space and it is not because they are mad about the US, it is because they seek regional hegemony.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

carrionman posted:

Maybe if there wasn't a global superpower that regularly fucks over middle eastern countries for political capital back home, constantly refers to Iran as an evil nation and provides direct military support to their opponents in the region, they wouldn't be so keen on developing nukes?

From my very much non expert view, is there really anything Iran does that our delightful friends the Saudis and Israelis don't?

You can search/replace Iran with Russia in your post and we've circled back to tankie america bad rhetoric.

Iran shouldn't have nukes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Two things can be true simultaneously: US middle east policy has been historically awful, and Iran's government sucks and doesn't deserve nice things or nukes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

My man Iran literally hands out ballistic missiles to terrorist groups, they are by a country mile the worst actor in this space and it is not because they are mad about the US, it is because they seek regional hegemony.

Man if only half of that wasn't a direct result of US interventions in Iran's political history.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war thread!

the joke so nice, I said it twice

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deteriorata posted:

Unfortunately the Russian invasion of Ukraine probably permanently destroyed the argument for nuclear deproliferation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I would not say Iran's government somehow deserves nukes, and ideally they should not get them, but it is difficult for me to say any given country shouldn't have nukes, given the ones that already do. And in the case of the topic of the thread, there were specifically security guarantees in return for nuclear weapons which, well, obviously did not stand the test of time.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the Clancy Thread! :dadjoke:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Unfortunately the Russian invasion of Ukraine probably permanently destroyed the argument for nuclear deproliferation.

They invaded over a 1000+ mile front. There is no evidence to suggest that Russia would give the slightest poo poo if Ukraine had dropped a couple of nukes on them - in fact, Russia would probably have used it as an excuse to use their own nukes in return.

You're simply postulating your conclusion.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Deteriorata posted:

They invaded over a 1000+ mile front. There is no evidence to suggest that Russia would give the slightest poo poo if Ukraine had dropped a couple of nukes on them - in fact, Russia would probably have used it as an excuse to use their own nukes in return.

If we’re getting into Clancy chat here, the front wouldn’t have been the primary target as that is their own territory. Moscow and other population centers would have been attacked.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Deteriorata posted:

I love how you're wrong on just about every count.

Nukes are the best deterrent per dollar you can get.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Deteriorata posted:

Would Russia have risked the Crimea and Donbass stuff in 2014 vs a Nuclear Ukraine? I don't think so.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

So are you, because the premise here is that a Ukraine that retained some nuclear weapons would have had a major deterrent to Russia invading at all. It wouldn't have been on the map.

They might well still have Crimea, too, although the fact that they don't give away their weapons for guarantees in 1993 doesn't mean they don't dismantle them for nuclear fuel in 2011 or something, but even then you have a different strategic landscape. It's unknowable, but what is known is that Ukraine gave up nuclear weapons and now their larger, nuclear-armed neighbor has invaded and is being only very slowly driven back.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deteriorata posted:

It's not my conclusion. End of the day, any country considering deproliferation is going to think "look what happened to Ukraine after they surrendered their stockpile" and then they won't deproliferate.

I mean, hell, nobody is counter invading Russia even now. They sure as hell couldn't hold the Kurils against Japan without nukes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

I love how you're wrong on just about every count.

Nukes are the best deterrent per dollar you can get.

I am of the opinion that Canada should have had a nuclear program instead of just helping out the US and Britain with theirs, primarily because we're literally in the path of any nukes going between the US and Russia.

No incineration without representation.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nessus posted:

So are you, because the premise here is that a Ukraine that retained some nuclear weapons would have had a major deterrent to Russia invading at all. It wouldn't have been on the map.

They might well still have Crimea, too, although the fact that they don't give away their weapons for guarantees in 1993 doesn't mean they don't dismantle them for nuclear fuel in 2011 or something, but even then you have a different strategic landscape. It's unknowable, but what is known is that Ukraine gave up nuclear weapons and now their larger, nuclear-armed neighbor has invaded and is being only very slowly driven back.
They also didn't just give up nukes, they also gave up a bunch of conventional cruise missiles some of which have now been used by Russia against Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

OddObserver posted:

They also didn't just give up nukes, they also gave up a bunch of conventional cruise missiles some of which have now been used by Russia against Ukraine.
Oh, the Iskandars? How far do those reach anyway?