Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got to fly my first livery-bus this week! It was the Stand Up To Cancer one. I’m gonna order a model of it and put it in my bookcase cause this is a COOL THING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

the popes toes posted:

Aeroflot Deactivates Brakes on Nine Aircraft, Relies Solely on Reverse Thrust

Due to Aeroflot's inability to replace worn-out brakes on its fleet, the airline has requested that its pilots turn off the brakes on affected aircraft. Currently, nine Aeroflot planes are flying with turned brakes: five Boeing 777-300ERs, one Airbus A330-300, one Airbus A320, and two Airbus A321s.

However, landing without the aid of brakes will significantly increase the amount of runway an aircraft uses on landing. Brakes are also necessary for aborting takeoffs, through the use of Auto Brakes, which automatically activate should pilots decide to abort a takeoff for whatever reason.

Despite the airline requesting pilots turn off brakes on affected aircraft, mechanics and technicians in Aeroflot's flight operations department are actively warning pilots of the increased risk of runway overruns.
https://aeroxplorer.com/articles/aeroflot-deactivates-brakes-on-nine-aircraft-relies-solely-on-reverse-thrust.php

Panic and screaming aboard is discouraged by loudly playing the Russian national anthem during landing.

Is this possible? Possibly true?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I could understand them saying to stop use autobrakes, especially on long runways. That leaves it to the pilots to let the reversers do most of the heavy lifting and then brake at low speeds. No brakes at all is a guaranteed off-roading adventure in an RTO situation.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Im calling bullshit on this as the only ones reporting this are aviation blogs, the Moscow Times, and a Chinese site that purports to have the memo Aeroflot sent to its flight crews. Until an actual Aeroflot pilot or a more reputable news source reports it I don't believe even Russian airline pilots would do something so brazen and stupid like fly a heavy jet with no loving brakes.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm an Aeroflot pilot I can confirm

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Btw i passed my checkride. They're gonna let me fly places, those suckers

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I can now dunk on people on the flight simulator forums with my vast treasure of real world experience

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I’ve corrected exactly 1 person online that was completely stupid about an airplane and they still doubled down on something involving something I was type rated on.

Then another time someone on Reddit messaged me flat earth poo poo after I posted a cool picture from FL500.

Basically I stick to here for aviation chat, too many places will melt your brain with wrongness.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I'm sure it's come up here (if not one of the other threads) the annoyingness of some airplane manufacturers having their overhead panel switches be up=on, while others are down=on... Down=on being justified under the rationale of actually being down=forward=on.

Well OK then, but here's a set of indicator lights on the overhead panel of a popular down=forward manufacturer

so lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Dude the lights on/off positions on the Airbus change depending on the specific model. I have to look at the text every time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Inverted light switches? In my cockpit? It's more likely than you think!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love that I finally fly something other people in this thread fly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

First revenue flight today!

Was somewhat anxious about it, but it went super smooth. 2.5 hours, 8 off-field landings.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Im calling bullshit on this as the only ones reporting this are aviation blogs, the Moscow Times, and a Chinese site that purports to have the memo Aeroflot sent to its flight crews. Until an actual Aeroflot pilot or a more reputable news source reports it I don't believe even Russian airline pilots would do something so brazen and stupid like fly a heavy jet with no loving brakes.

There might be some truth to it, since there's apparently a process whereby individual brakes on a main gear truck on something like a 767 can be MEL'd, so that would make more sense than totally disabling a set of brakes.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

azflyboy posted:

There might be some truth to it, since there's apparently a process whereby individual brakes on a main gear truck on something like a 767 can be MEL'd, so that would make more sense than totally disabling a set of brakes.

Something was lost in translation here for sure. My guess would be they are requesting reduced auto-brake settings from pilots.

article posted:

An aircraft can land without brakes, as during landing most of the work of stopping a commercial aircraft is done through the use of thrust reversers.

lol obviously false

Out of curiosity I looked up my company's brake MELs:

NG/MX: none
A320F, 319 only: one brake total (somewhat surprising)
777: one brake per truck
787: one brake per truck

That said I've never seen an a/c dispatched with an inop brake and I cannot imagine a US-based crew accepting a plane that way anyway.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

It's easy to land without brakes. Just make the runway a treadmill running the other direction!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gottagotowork posted:

That said I've never seen an a/c dispatched with an inop brake and I cannot imagine a US-based crew accepting a plane that way anyway.

I did it once. Airplane came in with a hot brake that we discovered was dragging and we were out of replacements. (large aircraft brakes come in big plastic cans as an assembled unit from the overhaul shop; You simply take the old one off, put it in the can and send it back as a core) That tail was on its way back to Europe via New York, and our station in JFK had some. I was expecting a discussion from the captain at least, but they ran the numbers, it was fine, and we dispatched on time.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

I also would have also expected some pushback, but hey, whatever works if the crew was comfortable with it. Like you said if the braking performance calcs still checked out... I'll keep that counterexample in my back pocket for my next petty gate call

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gottagotowork posted:

I also would have also expected some pushback, but hey, whatever works if the crew was comfortable with it. Like you said if the braking performance calcs still checked out... I'll keep that counterexample in my back pocket for my next petty gate call

I will say that it was a DC-10-30, so they still had 9 more to play with. Not quite the same when you’ve only got four brakes on board, and you’re down to one on that axle.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The Russian decree to please go easy on the auto brakes sounds like my chief flight instructor saying no please don't use the landing lights unless you have to because bulbs are expensive

You say but I wanna and he says ok

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

The Russian decree to please go easy on the auto brakes sounds like my chief flight instructor saying no please don't use the landing lights unless you have to because bulbs are expensive

You say but I wanna and he says ok

Haha, I was told to use the lights sparingly on the first rental I did my initial training in, but to be fair to the owner, that thing went through landing and taxi lights every 20 or 30 minutes of use. He was an A&P but couldn't figure it out and got so fed up with the lights burning out that he eventually sold that plane mostly for that particular reason.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
How is withholding parts from civilian aircraft because you are mad at their government in anyone’s best interest?

It seems like the only result you’re going to get is potentially killing a bunch of innocent people who don’t know any better when they book a flight.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Two Kings posted:

How is withholding parts from civilian aircraft because you are mad at their government in anyone’s best interest?

It seems like the only result you’re going to get is potentially killing a bunch of innocent people who don’t know any better when they book a flight.

The government in charge of regulating those aircraft could ground them, you know.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Fly or die

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Two Kings posted:

In general western sanctions are not thought out very well. This is probably not the right thread for a discussion of sanctions in general though.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Zero One posted:

Inverted light switches? In my cockpit? It's more likely than you think!

The best part about this is how the annunciation lights test position is consistent between aircraft but the dim/bright setting on the same switch isn't.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The US MIC playing both sides isn't unheard of but also mildly embarrassing so they don't want to do it lest it cause their investors to lose money. Also this sounds like the perfect opportunity for the Russian and Chinese aviation sectors to really show the decadent west who's boss!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Chinese civil aviation sector is like every other manufacturer in that they depend on the same group of companies that go into an Airbus, Boeing or Embraer.

Their military and space stuff is still descended from Soviet purchases and later Russian transfers but has diverged quite a bit shown by the fact that PLAAF/PLANAF can actually keep their planes in the air…

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Man I just slept for 10 hours. It was just a PPL checkride but man was that day draining, holy poo poo. But I'm really happy now. Also makes me feel a little bit closer to my late dad; he regretted never taking up lessons and really wanted to fly around with me. We would have flown around together a lot and of cancer hadn't taken him out this year. I could have taken him up if getting the medical hadn't taken so much time because I took SSRIs in the 2010s.

I kept getting questions throughout training about whether I wouldn't wanna go on with a CPL. Part of me thinks that would be a brilliant plan to pursue, there seem to be several guys around who have day jobs and do tourist flights as a sort of hobby that pays itself back over time. Would be a good way to spend my fourties and fifties. But being a CPL also seems kinda... intense? Nevermind that the standards seem to be much higher. I had my hours very close to the minimum when I scheduled the checkride and did well on theory, but that only worked because I put a lot of time into preparation, not because I'm very good at it. I probably also would seek for a place that's cheaper than the Benelux (what with an average hour of flight training in a C150 coming out to just under 300EUR including briefings).

I'm sorry if I poo poo up the thread with a stream of consciousness but it's just sinking in that I've achieved a long-held personal milestone. And that makes me pause and think for a bit.

For now, I'm content checking every other hour if the responsible authority has already processed my application papers for the license. But it's summer vacation time, and 3/4 of their staff is probably out of office.

Oh and @AWSEFT can I get myself added to that cool OP?

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 11, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If Russia wants to fix its planes it could at any point turn its slave soldiers around and cancel its unprovoked genocidal invasion

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Congrats on the shiny new PPL! If you can afford it, and it's something you're already thinking about, I think it's a good idea to get a CPL even if you don't really plan to use it. The worst case is: you are a better and more knowledgeable pilot for the additional training you've received. The standards are higher, yes, but in general those are standards you should be working your way towards as a private pilot as well, and that will come with experience.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ll throw out an endorsement for American Flyers if you’re looking to renew your CFI. It was drat near painless and I’m good for another two years.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Congrats on passing the checkride! That's awesome! :toot:

Lord Stimperor posted:

[...] that only worked because I put a lot of time into preparation, not because I'm very good at it.
Welcome to "how to pass checkrides"!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Man I just slept for 10 hours. It was just a PPL checkride but man was that day draining, holy poo poo. But I'm really happy now. Also makes me feel a little bit closer to my late dad; he regretted never taking up lessons and really wanted to fly around with me. We would have flown around together a lot and of cancer hadn't taken him out this year. I could have taken him up if getting the medical hadn't taken so much time because I took SSRIs in the 2010s.

Oh and @AWSEFT can I get myself added to that cool OP?

Congrats!

And AWSEFT if you're updating the OP, add ASES to mine :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh wicked what did you do it in? I’ve been wanting to get it forever.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Rolo posted:

Oh wicked what did you do it in? I’ve been wanting to get it forever.

Did it a while ago in a Piper at Jack Brown's in central Florida. I timed it so it counted as a BFR too. It was a blast, so much fun. I'll probably never use the rating but it was worth it just for the sake of doing it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That was me with tail-wheel. Will I ever use it? Could I actually land one today? Who knows, still fun to get and a neat checkmark to have.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Lord Stimperor posted:

I kept getting questions throughout training about whether I wouldn't wanna go on with a CPL. Part of me thinks that would be a brilliant plan to pursue, there seem to be several guys around who have day jobs and do tourist flights as a sort of hobby that pays itself back over time. Would be a good way to spend my fourties and fifties. But being a CPL also seems kinda... intense? Nevermind that the standards seem to be much higher. I had my hours very close to the minimum when I scheduled the checkride and did well on theory, but that only worked because I put a lot of time into preparation, not because I'm very good at it. I probably also would seek for a place that's cheaper than the Benelux (what with an average hour of flight training in a C150 coming out to just under 300EUR including briefings).

First off: Congrats, I'm sure your dad would be proud, and a bit jealous, of you.

Second off: PPL is probably the second hardest check ride with CFI being the hardest. Yes the standards are higher but everything after this point is just building on the knowledge and skill base that you already have. If you have any interest in going down the career route you still have a long way to go but for the most part it's easier than what you've already done.

Third off: Even if you're not going to be a professional pilot I would recommend working towards your instrument rating. Not only is the ability to fly and navigate in IMC a useful skill to have but having an instructor help Sherpa you over the peak of "Mt. Stupid" and out of the "valley of despair" on the Dunning Kruger graph isn't a bad idea. Don't forget you can totally go on VFR "fun" flights in between instrument lessons as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sleepy gary posted:

Haha, I was told to use the lights sparingly on the first rental I did my initial training in, but to be fair to the owner, that thing went through landing and taxi lights every 20 or 30 minutes of use. He was an A&P but couldn't figure it out and got so fed up with the lights burning out that he eventually sold that plane mostly for that particular reason.

All the planes at my flight school had LED landing lights, which seems like a great upgrade for planes that spend half their time in the pattern and 95% in congested airspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Some nightmare fuel courtesy Reddit: