Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

is that still Leto or is it just concept art? it's making me imagine Seann William Scott as the Joker lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I think it's just concept art

SWS would make a good Joker tho

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
But why is he wearing Bullseye from Affleck's daredevil's coat? And why is he walking out of a Warhammer 40k handbook?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Skullseye

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I kind of see Matthew Lillard, who I legit think could make an awesome Joker.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Odd he says "intent", why not say "original concept art"?

Okay, so, genuine question, if that was the intent, David Ayer, director, why did the final Mister Funnyjokeman end up like it did? This is not about whether you think it's better or worse, just why did it change so much?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The distinction comes from this image being AI generated. The abnormal skulls are the main tell.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MacheteZombie posted:

Ayer turning to AI to get his cut out

Release the AIyer Cut!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

josh04 posted:

Release the AIyer Cut!

lol

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Aha! So it's not actually concept art, it's recently made to show intent. Fair enough.

However the question still stands, if that was the intent, why the (IMO horrible) changes to The Jester? Why did the intent not pan out? Ayer seems peeved about it.

AIUI as an outsider picking up various lore, after MoS, The Other Absolute Boy was off pitching at LucasFilm with the famous "failed Star Wars pitch" (which is now Rebel Moon, the soon-to-be failed franchise on Netflix). So that naturally fell through and then at WB there was "a five-picture deal"(?) which was intended to be BvS + JL1+2+3 plus one more movie, which turned out to be Suicide Squad.

And this was put together in such a way that Ayer had six weeks to write it? What are they doing at WB?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Weirdo pimp Joker ruled, though. If whatever the gently caress is going on in that skull picture was the original intent, whatever that may mean, I have to gently deduct some points for Ayer because, with all due respect, that picture is dumb as gently caress.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I mean, if I'm David Ayer (just checked, I'm not, inshallah) the first thing I say is "lose the Damaged tattoo".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

NO

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Without having dug into it too deeply I'd assume it's concept art for the climax of the film, where Joker is working with Enchantress to get Harley back, so the swirling background of skulls is diegetic. The guy is basically wearing the final costume.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mexican Cartel Instagram Joker was cool. I don’t know why he broke so many nerds’ brains.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

Mexican Cartel Instagram Joker was cool. I don’t know why he broke so many nerds’ brains.

People complain about every new Joker just like they do about every new Batman or Superman. DC just has that issue.

Note that they shut up if the movie is well received (TDK) or see it as validation if not. And it's often the same people. It's their sports teams.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don’t know why he broke so many nerds’ brains.

They couldn't imagine themselves being that Joker.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Signing this, there's plenty of room in the world for all Jokers.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

However the question still stands, if that was the intent, why the (IMO horrible) changes to The Jester? Why did the intent not pan out? Ayer seems peeved about it.

I would guess it's tied to this:

I actually saw a version of this scene when the movie was still in production, and if I remember right, Joker's entrance was going to be accompanied by some VFX tied to the stuff Enchantress was doing, and a big cloud of smoky purple skulls would make sense.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Why skulls, though?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Wasn't Enchantress" machine thing originally supposed to be an attempt to warp in Darkseid and not just a generic "this thing will uh destroy the world...somehow I guess don't think about it" machine? The skulls are probably from an iteration where they glimpse other worlds Darkseid hosed up or maybe the machine was going to be more like the tomb (?) where Enchantress was first released in the beginning.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

Why skulls, though?

They're laughing with him, not at him

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Wasn't Enchantress" machine thing originally supposed to be an attempt to warp in Darkseid and not just a generic "this thing will uh destroy the world...somehow I guess don't think about it" machine? The skulls are probably from an iteration where they glimpse other worlds Darkseid hosed up or maybe the machine was going to be more like the tomb (?) where Enchantress was first released in the beginning.

Harley to Joker: "Pudding... are we the baddies?"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neo Rasa posted:

It's actually the thing that summons Steppenwolf originally, yes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

PriorMarcus posted:

It's actually the thing that summons Steppenwolf originally, yes.

I will never get over the fact that the original design for these movies would have led one into the other in a way that no other series had or would have done.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Warner Bros.: We want a connected cinematic universe

also Warner Bros.: No we don't

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sounds like originally Enchantress & Incubus were Apocalyptians that got left behind after the first invasion was repulsed.

And it makes sense for Chapo Crime Clown to join the space demons, then switch to the resistance once they've wrecked earth. That's why he's tha Joker babee

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Only Kindness posted:

I mean, if I'm David Ayer (just checked, I'm not, inshallah) the first thing I say is "lose the Damaged tattoo".

Why? He possesses awareness of his condition, and all his tats are crass self references.

Mr. Apollo posted:

They can't even admit that "upsetting fans, deliberately" is the most Joker thing to do!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Independently the design was whatever but I immediately lose interest in anything involving Jared Leto.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Blood Boils posted:

Why? He possesses awareness of his condition, and all his tats are crass self references.

I get what's behind it, but first, it's simply a poo poo graphic. (I know it's supposed to be, but, Poe's law.) Second, the "intent", as posted by Ayer himself, was not to have it. So I ask, why was it there? Did he have no say over his own movie, his own character designs?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's because those are fake tattoos. He wanted to trigger the fanboys before revealing his Jesus-like outfit in the Knightmare reality, where those same tattoos are conspicuously gone.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Because it's likely ai generated and getting that to include a damaged tattoo was behind his level of effort imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Because it's likely ai generated and getting that to include a damaged tattoo was behind his level of effort imo

But he could've gotten a dmrgagrgdd tattoo, that's pretty much the same thing

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's because those are fake tattoos. He wanted to trigger the fanboys before revealing his Jesus-like outfit in the Knightmare reality, where those same tattoos are conspicuously gone.

They aren't fake tattoos; Joker in the Snyder Cut is wearing face-paint that covers his tattoos even though his face was already bleached white. He's painted himself up to look like himself.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Only Kindness posted:

I get what's behind it, but first, it's simply a poo poo graphic. (I know it's supposed to be, but, Poe's law.) Second, the "intent", as posted by Ayer himself, was not to have it. So I ask, why was it there? Did he have no say over his own movie, his own character designs?

If reality disagrees with you, clearly reality must be the one in error.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

McSpanky posted:

If reality disagrees with you, clearly reality must be the one in error.

So you're saying David Ayer has some form of schizophrenia?

He says he actually wanted the Joker we saw in that pic he just posted, but instead ended up with the one we saw in his movie, because he couldn't tell the difference or something?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's absolutely the kind of entrance the Joker would make if he could manage it. Heh, I think since the 90s the Joker's always going to have a little Prince.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

shoeberto posted:

Independently the design was whatever but I immediately lose interest in anything involving Jared Leto.

loving rear end in a top hat shows up every time i watch blade runner 2 and ruins every scene he's in. turd just wont flush.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They aren't fake tattoos; Joker in the Snyder Cut is wearing face-paint that covers his tattoos even though his face was already bleached white. He's painted himself up to look like himself.

Even the Joker doesn't think desert sunburn is a laughing matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Ammanas posted:

loving rear end in a top hat shows up every time i watch blade runner 2 and ruins every scene he's in. turd just wont flush.

I've never seen the ending of Blade Runner 2049 because I walked out as soon as he showed up. I even asked for a refund.

The guy gave it to me, and then announced it to everyone in the lobby. I got a round of applause. Some people cried. Turned out Ana de Armas was in the crowd also and she was so impressed that she asked if I would be her boyfriend. I had to turn her down (too many girlfriends already at the time) but she still calls me pretty regularly to reconsider.