Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ro5s posted:

Making a start of the Leviathan tyranids

I had some of the old rending claws spare so I could give the Neurotyrant some big hands to match his old version.

totally seriously: you should put some little pink flowers in that grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

totally seriously: you should put some little pink flowers in that grass.

Huh, that could look pretty cool. Got any recommendations on where to get little flowers? How would be best to add them in, just little dots of glue on the grass?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ro5s posted:

Huh, that could look pretty cool. Got any recommendations on where to get little flowers? How would be best to add them in, just little dots of glue on the grass?

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics-SP4188-Scenery-Flowers/dp/B00843TRKY/

it's a bunch of shredded up foam that looks like flowers when applied onto grass. easiest way to apply is to thin down pva glue, spray it on, then sprinkle this stuff on, then spray more of that pva. You can get little spray bottles at the dollar store which may be cheaper than buying 30 of them at a time but it's not a terrible idea to have some for terrain/dioramas/basing. just remember to clean out the spray nozzle by squirting water through it once you're done

Here's how it looks:

in case you don't want to get it off amazon, check your local area for hobby stores geared towards model trains as they have a lot of this style of terrain decorations

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

WIP on this Magmadroth. Gonna spend some time thinking on if I need to change anything with this guy, and in the meantime move onto the rider.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Verisimilidude posted:

WIP on this Magmadroth. Gonna spend some time thinking on if I need to change anything with this guy, and in the meantime move onto the rider.

Spoiler warning; you dont, hes fantastic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What are good gap fillers that can be sanded? I need the surface to be smooth because it's armor plates on vehicles. I've tried making a batch of slurry but that still seems to be soft and greenstuff just comes off in chunks if I try to sand it.

OP says procreate and magic sculpt, but also says those are for large areas and sculpting so would they be fine to use for small gaps?

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 11, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Chill la Chill posted:

What are good gap fillers that can be sanded? I need the surface to be smooth because it's armor plates on vehicles. I've tried making a batch of slurry but that still seems to be soft and greenstuff just comes off in chunks if I try to sand it.

OP says procreate and magic sculpt, but also says those are for large areas and sculpting so would they be fine to use for small gaps?

Easy: Milliput
Medium: Mix milliput and green stuff
Hard: baking soda + super glue

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

It looks fantastic, but maybe gloss his claws or teeth so they look shinier? If it ends up being distracting you can always matte them back down.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Arcturas posted:

It looks fantastic, but maybe gloss his claws or teeth so they look shinier? If it ends up being distracting you can always matte them back down.

I thought about it, but decided against it. Neither of those features are focal points, and the addition of gloss varnish would just make them stand out in a very odd way, especially considering everything else is so matte.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Puts down paintbrush and dumps out the paint water over my head

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

The stuff for larger gaps is also the stuff for sanding. You want something dense, hard, inflexible, and ideally nontoxic.

A few more good options in addition to Milliput and those two:

Apoxie Sculpt is synthetic clay and also nice. it's similar to Milliput, and while it's not as popular, it may be easier to find if you're US or NA based. (The manufacturer is American.) i've never tried mixing it with green stuff but otherwise it's almost exactly like Milliput. It has a clay-like texture you can mold with your hands or water- or oil-lubricated tools, it's tacky for an hour, resistant but sculptable for an hour, dries to sandable/self-supporting hardness, with a plastic-like finish if smooth. The price is about comparable to Milliput as well.

UV resin. UV resin has a bunch of limitations that you'd need to work around but it lets you sculpt whatever you want and remains shapeable until you hit it with the UV light to harden it completely solid. There's a ton of neat stuff you can do with them because they don't need to hold up their own weight while semi-solid to dry. However, they're always transparent (or else they wouldn't solidify!) and they can only be dried in places where light can reach. Additionally, they're almost always toxic, so you want to use gloves and wet-sand them to control and dispose of the dust.

Most household filler putties dry too fast, shrink, or can't be handled too well. The only one I've ever seen anyone have any success with is Bondo, but you need gloves to handle that and it stinks to high heaven when drying. However, it's very cheap compared to all of the things aimed at hobbyists or sculptors. It still works well, too: it doesn't shrink, takes texture like a sculptor's putty, and it's very hard and strong once dried.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Vallejo sells plastic putty which is more of a paste than epoxy putty so it's easier to apply in smaller gaps, and is sandable once it dries and hardens. There's generic home repair versions but I don't know if they'd work as well.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Nice! I remember seeing these in the old white dwarfs. Are they metal or plastic?

I would get some to paint myself but they're hard to find even on eBay.

I’m afraid that 3-D printed designs by Fabelzel - he has sculpted pretty much the entire range from scratch!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'm willing to say he's done! I'm pretty happy with this colour scheme, so now I just have to paint twenty more of these guys!!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

Goddamn that's a sweet paint job.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Dumb question but what do you guys use to help shake the poo poo outta your little paint pots? I've got a dozen or so I need to resurrect with water and flo aid.

I've used a little triangle sander before but I let a friend borrow it and it's long gone now. Any suggestions?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

ro5s posted:

You can just use unthinned paint and kinda blob it on. I've done it before, it's easy and can look decent!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

crime fighting hog posted:

Dumb question but what do you guys use to help shake the poo poo outta your little paint pots? I've got a dozen or so I need to resurrect with water and flo aid.

I've used a little triangle sander before but I let a friend borrow it and it's long gone now. Any suggestions?

Laboratory-style vortex mixer: https://www.amazon.com/INTLLAB-Function-Vortexer-Adhesives-Centrifuge/dp/B08CR43XR3/

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

You're about to get suggestions on vortex mixers of a couple varieties from online stores like Amazon, to eBay to Ali Express.

There's also a cyclonic mixer like the one available from Green Stuff World which is alright.

Then some goon is going to arrive suggesting some kind of crazy lifehack shaker they've come up with and everyone will be like :stare:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Use your arms and shake really really hard

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Stick your paints in a friend's pockets, then take them for a ride in the car from "Death Proof"

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

You're about to get suggestions on vortex mixers of a couple varieties from online stores like Amazon, to eBay to Ali Express.

There's also a cyclonic mixer like the one available from Green Stuff World which is alright.

Then some goon is going to arrive suggesting some kind of crazy lifehack shaker they've come up with and everyone will be like :stare:

Strapping the paint bottle to an oscillating saw isn't stupid!

It's only unsafe.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Dollar Tree joint compound

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rogue Hobbies did their miniatures photography video. CW: involves Photoshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ggrYDmdnLw

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Paint.net is a completely reasonable and free alternative to photoshop, at least in my use case of cropping, adjusting levels and resizing.

Shop your shots, you owe it to your minis.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Also https://pixlr.com/ is very very good.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Painted up this cool dude who will definitely be able to enjoy a peaceful retirement once these Unification Wars are all done with.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I'm getting back into 40k after 15ish years. I want to finish all these orks I have but I forgot what greens I used for their skin. Can anyone here identify the ones I used or their modern equivalent? I want the new guys to look similar (but better). I think the base was dark angels green.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

rain dogs posted:

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I'm getting back into 40k after 15ish years. I want to finish all these orks I have but I forgot what greens I used for their skin. Can anyone here identify the ones I used or their modern equivalent? I want the new guys to look similar (but better). I think the base was dark angels green.

Even if we could reliably identify colors via a photograph, the paint line has changed at least once in the last 15 years so the colors won't be the same.
Get some dark, mid, and light greens from your prefered line and try it out. Or paint them yellow and hit them with ork flesh contrast paints.
Also, orks don't all need to be the same color green, go wild and have some variety.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Anyone have resources for what a reasonable desktop infrastructure looks like for using oil paints on minis? It seems a lot more complex than the infrastructure you need for acrylics.

(All the resources I've been able to find for oil paint setups have been for painting on canvas, which is a bit more involved than is needed for minis.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 12, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Stephenls posted:

Anyone have resources for what a reasonable desktop infrastructure looks like for using oil paints on minis? It seems a lot more complex than the infrastructure you need for acrylics.

(All the resources I've been able to find for oil paint setups have been for painting on canvas, which is a bit more involved than is needed for minis.)

Oil Paints
Thinners - I got artists odourless but turps/white spirit should be fine AFAIK
Piece of cardboard to squeeze the oil paint into to wick out some of the carrier oil and make it dry sooner
Matt varnish for finishing
Palette

If you're doing washes then:

Tiny disposable shot glasses as mixing cups for making washes
Cotton buds/Q-tips to wipe away washes
Gloss varnish for washes

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

rain dogs posted:

Dark Angels Green base, Goblin Green mid, Rotting Flesh highlight, dark green wash or ink

Look up modern equivalents to those and you'll be good to go

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Silhouette posted:

Dark Angels Green base, Goblin Green mid, Rotting Flesh highlight, dark green wash or ink

Look up modern equivalents to those and you'll be good to go

Thank you!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

Oil Paints
Thinners - I got artists odourless but turps/white spirit should be fine AFAIK
Piece of cardboard to squeeze the oil paint into to wick out some of the carrier oil and make it dry sooner
Matt varnish for finishing
Palette

If you're doing washes then:

Gloss varnish for washes

This, but I'd add that your palette is a piece of parchment on top of a second piece of cardboard, and you want one (or more) brush to apply paint, that gets cleaned when making big jumps in color, and another brush that never ever ever touches white spirit to blend / remove brush strokes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Mix superglue and talcum powder into a paste and use that. It will be sandable in a few hours and rock hard in 24.

Best fill material if you need a smooth, sandable hard surface, particularly for small defects since the putties have a habit of falling out if they don't have enough space to adhere.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Southern Heel posted:

Gloss varnish for washes

24-pack of small stainless-steel ramekins, two sizes included. Handy for hobbies and in the kitchen. I gave about half of them to mom.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1Z7BHF/

I have some of Tamiya's hobby swabs, which are way better than Q-tips for cleaning up washes, but these would be way cheaper,

https://www.amazon.com/Norme-Cleaning-Pointed-Ceramics-Electronics/dp/B086217FH3/

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I picked up a pack of 200 plastic disposable shotglasses from Amazon for like $10 and I've thrown away maybe 3 of them. I reuse them a lot and I don't even wash them, just throw new paint in since acrylics dry into plastic, I just don't mix oil-based cups with acrylic-based cups. Cups that are too far gone I simply flip over and use as stands with some putty.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I tried the prismatic blade affect here, but I’m not sure it works. Does this read as a magical weapon?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

I tried the prismatic blade affect here, but I’m not sure it works. Does this read as a magical weapon?

I think it needs more value and saturation contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just reads as natural shadow, more glow would help a lot