Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 65 days!)

cancelling the sword of the triune, calling all the temples and letting them know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

studs n chuds posted:

discovering some problematic passages in the sermons of vivec

what is it with would-be assassins targeting feet in this forum

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

[Vidojuegos]And Molag Bal crushed the warrior-poet's feet, which were not invulnerable

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Buck Wildman posted:

what is it with would-be assassins targeting feet in this forum

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

god-poet vivec, colorized, 3E 308

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lol at the posts

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

studs n chuds posted:

disintegrating the tavern wench after she makes a snide comment about my helm

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Halser posted:

speaking of tabletop and dice rolls, has anyone played high level tabletop D&D?

I remember playing Throne of Bhaal, casting Time Stop with Improved Alacrity and dumping my entire spellbook instantly on a group of enemies. Throwing enough dice to resolve the result of 8 Horrid Wiltings and 14 Magic Missiles must take hours

Had a 3.0 campaign that made it up to 24th or so, it was completely insane and unplayable. The wizard and the cleric both had epic feats that made it so whenever anyone within 100ft cast Time Stop, they also got Time Stop. So every fight started with each of them casting Haste, (which let you cast 2 spells/round in 3.0) then Time Stop, which would let each of them cast 4-10 spells. Then, once Time Stop ended, the other one would cast Time Stop on their turn in the normal turn order, allowing them each another 4-10 spells. So round 1 of any challenging combat was an absurd flurry of 15+ high level spells with DC's in the 30s.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Had a 3.0 campaign that made it up to 24th or so, it was completely insane and unplayable. The wizard and the cleric both had epic feats that made it so whenever anyone within 100ft cast Time Stop, they also got Time Stop. So every fight started with each of them casting Haste, (which let you cast 2 spells/round in 3.0) then Time Stop, which would let each of them cast 4-10 spells. Then, once Time Stop ended, the other one would cast Time Stop on their turn in the normal turn order, allowing them each another 4-10 spells. So round 1 of any challenging combat was an absurd flurry of 15+ high level spells with DC's in the 30s.

awesome

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

magic rules

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

at some point i would have van damme start popping up mid-timestop and cause trouble lmao

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

just as balanced as the CRPGs are then, nice

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

ive never found a dm willing to run high-level play. we're always starting at level 3 and closing things out by 10-12. its bullshit

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

al start a bi-weekly pathfinder game for cspam imo

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

studs n chuds posted:

al start a bi-weekly pathfinder game for cspam imo

which one?

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Al! posted:

which one?

2e looks pretty good tbh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

60 bucks for the book?!?

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

hmu on the glenn discord i have a copy of the trove from before it went down and i believe it has some of the pdfs...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

studs n chuds posted:

ive never found a dm willing to run high-level play. we're always starting at level 3 and closing things out by 10-12. its bullshit

one day I want to run the slumbering tsar for pathfinder 1e, which is a level 11-20 megadungeon that basically operates on “yeah you’re a big poo poo and can do crazy things. so can everyone else. get good”

it’s like the dark souls of pathfinder 1e. one of the challenges midway through is clearing out a ruined city filled with demons and undead. not too bad. except, prowling the walls of the city is a permanently invisible bow ranger who can one shot PCs from thousands of feet away, and he already hates you. that ranger just adds on to whatever combat he feels like. “big fight? alright let me roll some dice okay the cleric’s dead let’s roll initiative”

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Arivia posted:

one day I want to run the slumbering tsar for pathfinder 1e, which is a level 11-20 megadungeon that basically operates on “yeah you’re a big poo poo and can do crazy things. so can everyone else. get good”

it’s like the dark souls of pathfinder 1e. one of the challenges midway through is clearing out a ruined city filled with demons and undead. not too bad. except, prowling the walls of the city is a permanently invisible bow ranger who can one shot PCs from thousands of feet away, and he already hates you. that ranger just adds on to whatever combat he feels like. “big fight? alright let me roll some dice okay the cleric’s dead let’s roll initiative”

run it on roll20 and i guarantee a dozen goons will be clamoring for it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

studs n chuds posted:

run it on roll20 and i guarantee a dozen goons will be clamoring for it

oh I know the problem is more my time and energy and if I was gonna do that I’d want a physical copy of the book myself first

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i live just down the street from a tabletop place, they probably have a used edition of the book and a binder. i talked to them about running old school shadowrun once. tiny town but it has a vintage game store and a tabletop store out of maybe 20 businesses. nerds ftw

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Al! posted:

i live just down the street from a tabletop place, they probably have a used edition of the book and a binder. i talked to them about running old school shadowrun once. tiny town but it has a vintage game store and a tabletop store out of maybe 20 businesses. nerds ftw

i think i would fly to oregon every two weeks to play shadowrun 2e

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

studs n chuds posted:

i think i would fly to oregon every two weeks to play shadowrun 2e

i have the pdf.........

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also, 4e doesn't really have any "total newbie" friendly options, which limits the ability to bring new players in. Champion fighter in 5e is not mechanically good, but I have gotten people playing 5e with that class that would have been utterly lost with any 4e character, especially after like 3rd-4th level.

This is a stupid idea in general because all it does is that if anybody wants to play a fighter they're stuck playing the boring stupid class without anything thay lets actually be fun or useful ecause he's got to be the the "beginner"

Here's what you do for someone new to 4e. You play at level 1. If somehow 4 abilities is too complicated for them then perhaps rpgs aren't for them.

Dr Pepper has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Aug 11, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GIRL BRAINS posted:

*kicking in the door to some peasants cottage and annihilating his house cat with three bolts of pure force* playtime is over

Fuckin lmao

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

studs n chuds posted:

I only have had 2 campaigns run past like 13th, both were in 3.0, one was the time stop fiesta, the other I ruined with an 18th level cleric that broke my DM's will to continue the game.

I had a feat (Persistent spell, I think) that let me make cleric buffs that were normally 1rd/level last 24 hours, making me a better than everyone else at everything, which was making everyone sick of my poo poo already. During a really important fight, I revealed my secret weapon: I had discovered I could access a completely broken spell in the splatbook for Bards, that no one other than me had read.

Clerics 9th level wish equivalent, Miracle, let you copy a spell from any other class that was 7th level or lower, which was fine, EXCEPT, that bard spells worked different, so bards highest level spells, that they got at 18th level, were only 6th level spells. So I used Miracle to request a Fanfare (the broken bard spell), which is an AOE multi-round stun with no saving throw and (if I remember right) no Spell Resistance. So with two Miracles I stunlocked the whole BBEG group for 4 or so rounds and they didnt get to even take a turn before they were all dead.

The DM ended the campaign that night and then I got to run a HERO system campaign that is probably my favorite campaign of all time.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
the trove went down? wtf

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Al! posted:

i have the pdf.........

maybe we can meet in santa nella

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

Cuttlefush posted:

the trove went down? wtf

yeah it sucks. i forget which tabletop freakazoid made it happen. BUT i do have a tb and a half of rpg books now

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I dont think the podcast thing would have worked as well with 4e, given that it has way more complicated, fiddly, and slower combat than 5e.

Like, for example, Critical Role has 8 players. For me, 4 player 4e was hard to keep track of with all the overlapping short-term effects, has anyone here ever done 8?

Also, 4e doesn't really have any "total newbie" friendly options, which limits the ability to bring new players in. Champion fighter in 5e is not mechanically good, but I have gotten people playing 5e with that class that would have been utterly lost with any 4e character, especially after like 3rd-4th level.

The first big DND podcast was acquisitions incorporated, the penny arcade guys, playing 4e afaik.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

GIRL BRAINS posted:

*kicking in the door to some peasants cottage and annihilating his house cat with three bolts of pure force* playtime is over

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Why does BG3 have ability increases mutually exclusive with feats anyway? I don't feel like that's a good idea for the game since it reduces the stuff you actually get on a level-up, which is a bad idea for 5e considering how many level ups are insanely boring for many classes.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

This is a stupid idea in general because all it does is that if anybody wants to play a fighter they're stuck playing the boring stupid class without anything thay lets actually be fun or useful ecause he's got to be the the "beginner"

Here's what you do for someone new to 4e. You play at level 1. If somehow 4 abilities is too complicated for them then perhaps rpgs aren't for them.

Its only Champion fighter thats super simple in 5e, the other fighter archetypes have more going on. Champion is clearly intended for the player who just wants to say "I shoot/hit that guy" and roll dice. With the right feat choices it can even be fairly effective.

All the fighter at-will abilities in 4e have an equation with a variable in them, as well as (sometimes more than one) if-then statements. 3 out of 4 also have at least one paragraph of text.

As a long term RPG guy, this doesnt sound like much, but I've gotten to play 5e with folks who freeze up trying basic math, but enjoy RP and puzzle solving. They would have 100% bounced off 4e.

There are rules-light systems that would serve those folks better than 5e, but anyone arguing about D&D knows that getting a group to play anything other than D&D is like pulling loving teeth.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Dice rolls? Basic math? puzzle solving? What is this a thread for grannies to talk about sewing? I thought this thread had real gamers. If you're a real gamer answer me this:

Who is the most italian Nintendo character? :colbert:

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Dice rolls? Basic math? puzzle solving? What is this a thread for grannies to talk about sewing? I thought this thread had real gamers. If you're a real gamer answer me this:

Captain Olimar

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Toads been to a couple bunga bunga parties

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah i tried to go back to 4th to play darksun and a single character is as complicated as a whole 5e party to set up
that game desperately needed automation

it seems like this should be easy to do with an app at this point. actually thinking about for the first time, it if an official D&D campaign mobile app doesn't exist I will be dumbfounded. it seems like such an obvious and useful tool especially for a DM and they could charge $15 for a DM version and $5 for a player version

e: like you could create and store characters in there and when you show up to the game everyone punches in the DM's PIN and they're all added to a roster where the DM can see each characters' abilities and stats and poo poo, make notes, etc. wtf this has to exist right

indigi has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Meowth is a proud Italian american.