Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 14, 1958)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/10/03

Brenda Starr 6/25-27/51

Smokey Stover 3/5/56

Everyday Movies 9/1/36

"I'm dying to get down to 150; that's when I can cross my legs."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/22-24/41

Bonus Ad! Hey kids! Win an exotic pet neither you nor your parents know how to take care of, and which in some cases is unsuited to be a pet in the first place! We don't care, just buy our cookies!

(and yes, "African-American Baby Monkey" is a little eye-watering to a modern reader although I'm pretty sure back then it would have been read as geographical, not racial)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 11, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(August 19, 1917)

Little Nemo(January 13, 1907)

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! Hey kids! Win an exotic pet neither you nor your parents know how to take care of, and in some cases is unsuited to be a pet in the first place! We don't care, just buy our cookies!

(and yes, "African-American Baby Monkey" is a little eye-watering to a modern reader although I'm pretty sure back then it would have been read as geographical, not racial)

Ah, yes. Classic pets such as: Shetland pony, several RARE turtles, 'baby' alligator, and even a parrot(where state law allows)

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 11, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hippocrass posted:

Ah, yes. Classic pets such as: Shetland pony, several RARE turtles, 'baby' alligator, and even a parrot(where state law allows)

It was common back then for unscrupulous animal dealers in Florida to sell baby alligators as pets to tourists who had no idea that gators live as long as humans or how large they get.

That's the genesis of the urban legend about albino alligators living in New York City's sewers -- supposedly the descendants of "pet" gators who got flushed when they became too troublesome to keep.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Jesus christ this 1980s Mary Worth arc is DIRE.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Rhinosay!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rhoggers

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rhuh Rhoh!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Snitch teacher.

Crabgrass has to be set in the past, because there is no way public school kids are learning about trade unions in the current education environment; at least not in a positive way.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Haven't posted for a few days but today is a good batch!

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Heartthrob you never post feet for free!

No word yet on whether Curtis had to use his AK.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What did mom make you for breakfast, C-Breeze?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Howard Beale posted:

There were several programs in the 40s which produced radio versions of the big budget adaptations that MGM et al released (often with many of the same stars repeating their roles). After a little bit of looking I've so far found that "Screen Guild Theater" presented The Yearling in 1947 (from the 1946 film), and the "Academy Award" program in 1946 put on The Prisoner of Zenda, but presumably based on the film from a decade previously.

On the other hand, David Lean directed a big production of Great Expectations which was released in the US in '47, and that Dickens story had been adapted as a radio play several times over without the context of a big film tie-in, so that's my slightly-educated guess. It certainly was prevalent in American pop culture.

The 900 pound gorilla of the movies-for-radio genre was Lux Radio Theater, which was basically the trailblazer that made studios recognize people would listen to boiled-down movie plots with big stars in them and still pay for a ticket to see the same plot on the screen.

But really, there was a lot of the Canon being bounced around during the Golden Age of American commercial radio, back when high culture was enough of a culturewide default that Toscanini was on the payroll at 30 Rock. My favorite example was the summer of 1937, when NBC and CBS got into a ratings war with Shakespeare adaptations. And all that before Orson Welles got warmed up.

Anyway, time for cartoons.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (August 13, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire: Ka-RERUN!

Thimble Theater, in which Popeye's even more ready for the main event than we are. (March 15, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 13-15, 1942)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Angular Cyrus posted:

Underworld LA Weekly 07/31/1997–08/07/1997

Panel 1 there is foreshadowing the rise of vapes.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know Josh is an rear end in a top hat in retail but since most of the others are too, I find him less annoying than most of the others. I used to work with a guy like him who was by the book, no rule bending, nothing. But once you got to learn that, it was loving easy to work with him because there was no ulterior motive for him.

Wait. How is there global warming and climate change in Safe Havens of all loving places? Can't the main characters just DNA magic some bullshit up like they always do?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Josh ridiculed the idea that employees who are underpaid will work harder if given cash incentives, entirely on his own without prompting or teaching from Stuart.

He may be a tolerable evil day to day but he's the enemy.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is a pretty good gag. No wonder this kid's losing the nerd contest if he thinks Han Solo's cooler than Chewie. :wookie:

Also a good lesson here. If someone's being a jerk, it's their problem; it's not up to you to fix them.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wait. How is there global warming and climate change in Safe Havens of all loving places? Can't the main characters just DNA magic some bullshit up like they always do?

No, see, DNA Wizard can't make her findings public because what if someone misuses her potions?* She can't let it be known that she can just make broad, sweeping changes to the world at her leisure.**

* Please ignore that she uses her lab and lackeys in the university to conduct unethical experiments all the goddamn time.
** Please ignore the time she created an entirely new hosed-up ecosystem for Mars that's public knowledge and caused the scientific community to hate her guts. Or that other time where the mermaids revealed their existence to the world and DNA Wizard solved racial tensions by introducing a mermaid hookup app for humans with a mermaid fetish.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

In elementary and middle school you're just kind of stuck with the people you're stuck with, but I cannot comprehend why anyone in high school or especially college would voluntarily spend time with this rear end in a top hat.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

The 900 pound gorilla of the movies-for-radio genre was Lux Radio Theater, which was basically the trailblazer that made studios recognize people would listen to boiled-down movie plots with big stars in them and still pay for a ticket to see the same plot on the screen.

Oh, there we go! Wikipedia says Lux did Great Expectations on October 13, 1947. (Howard Beale says dammit, my collection is incomplete; I didn't see the ep when I looked thru my stuff earlier.)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Gil's getting cucked by the golf pro?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "194 - 'Happy New Year. Pusztai Pál''

''I Won't Have Any Adventure Today...''

"195 - Jucika Helps Out"

"Ruhatar = coat check"

amigolupus posted:

No, see, DNA Wizard can't make her findings public because what if someone misuses her potions?* She can't let it be known that she can just make broad, sweeping changes to the world at her leisure.**

I was thinking after reading this post

I wonder how many people DNA Wizard has killed by poisoning their food and letting them become a mouse or bug and get eaten or naturally expire even if they adapt to it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (July 13-15, 1942)

Oof, this one is particularly ill-timed, considering what was happening to the US Army's last horse-cavalry unit in 1942.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "194 - 'Happy New Year. Pusztai Pál''

''I Won't Have Any Adventure Today...''

"195 - Jucika Helps Out"

"Ruhatar = coat check"

I was thinking after reading this post

I wonder how many people DNA Wizard has killed by poisoning their food and letting them become a mouse or bug and get eaten or naturally expire even if they adapt to it.

OMG none! She's not RL, she's like Kell who only kills and eats Bad People Who Deserve It.

as a kid I remember watching Gargoyles and Batman: The Animated Series, and both had stories where mad scientists made people into humanoid animals. And all I could think was, gently caress, I'd sign up for that! I want to be a cat person who has electric powers! I don't want to really be a gorilla person though, but can I pick what I can be? Like a dragon or something cool? I had no idea what furries were (and am not one, but as a kid the idea of being able to have that kinda body was cool) and always thought those scientists were morons. Nowadays the idiots could charge for that kinda poo poo and they'd never have a day off.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some people just aren't satisfied until they get their rear end beat

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Vargo posted:

Haven't posted for a few days but today is a good batch!

Breaking Cat News

Is Princess Magazine supposed to remind me of that one photo of a woman with a dress made out of cheese slices from an old Reddit scavenger hunt?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

OMG none! She's not RL, she's like Kell who only kills and eats Bad People Who Deserve It.

Well as long as her judgement is infallible I see no reason to regulate her mad scientist super powers.

old man about to need cybernetic teeth, that's an enormous blunder

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

amigolupus posted:

* Please ignore that she uses her lab and lackeys in the university to conduct unethical experiments all the goddamn time.
** Please ignore the time she created an entirely new hosed-up ecosystem for Mars that's public knowledge and caused the scientific community to hate her guts. Or that other time where the mermaids revealed their existence to the world and DNA Wizard solved racial tensions by introducing a mermaid hookup app for humans with a mermaid fetish.

It's not relevant, but remember when it was suddenly revealed that she's actually practically immortal because of mermaid DNA? Unless she's stopped, she'll be around forever.

Cowslips Warren posted:

as a kid I remember watching Gargoyles and Batman: The Animated Series, and both had stories where mad scientists made people into humanoid animals. And all I could think was, gently caress, I'd sign up for that! I want to be a cat person who has electric powers! I don't want to really be a gorilla person though, but can I pick what I can be? Like a dragon or something cool? I had no idea what furries were (and am not one, but as a kid the idea of being able to have that kinda body was cool) and always thought those scientists were morons. Nowadays the idiots could charge for that kinda poo poo and they'd never have a day off.

I had a similar thought watching Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster, which has a Mars Needs Women/Devil Girl from Mars type plot. I've seen the internet, if these aliens had just landed and said "we need volunteers to help repopulate our planet," they'd be spoiled for choice. If anything, the volunteers would be disappointed that the aliens are just people in space suits.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Awkward timing. Also, OMG!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/22-24/51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZiYA06Ntk

Old Lady Head Trauma Week Continues 11/20-22/47

Okay, you got me with that last one, Bob.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Them Archie’s can really hit.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Doh!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"So what I'm tryin' to say is - do you know where I can find the guy who had to unclog the backstage toilet at the show?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The Mozz Always Wins

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
They should strap Bernice and Gunther together and throw them into the sea

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I genuinely do not understand hate-reading comics you dislike and getting worked up about them, the world's stressful enough as it is. That being said:

mycatscrimes posted:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

What did the sea do to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits