Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Stereotype posted:

it’ll be in the news again when the death toll rises from the current 55 to whatever the actual count is, likely in the mid to high hundreds.

also when there are riots about them building a 20 story building on front street.

Saw somewhere that there were 1,000 people missing. Absolutely tragic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

“what’s past is prologue”

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
ok ok weekend at bernies movie poster but bernie is the planet earth and the guys propping him up are bdelloids

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Seen some crap about purple earth hypothesis & maybe the boring billion was super dynamic and there isn't a record of it cause it was a period of few fossils

So I guess maybe earth life will fallback to hyper weird hyphae or whatever they're called

wdym the oceans have always been full of purple bacteria. now pipe down you're using up all the oxygen

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soggy Muffin posted:

Saw somewhere that there were 1,000 people missing. Absolutely tragic

The warning sirens that everyone on the island is familiar with never sounded. Just "emergency text messages" and "opt-in notifications."

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Vox Nihili posted:

The warning sirens that everyone on the island is familiar with never sounded. Just "emergency text messages" and "opt-in notifications."

And apparently some people didn't even get those until the flames were at their doorstep.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
thankfully by 2040 the new york pension fund will only invest in net* zero** carbon*** entities

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Vox Nihili posted:

Jfc

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
BRB gonna switch critical safety infrastructure to a god drat app

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Koirhor posted:

ok ok weekend at bernies movie poster but bernie is the planet earth and the guys propping him up are bdelloids

weekend at bernies but the clouds are sprayed sulphur dioxide

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Power it with AI and i have $200m ready to invest you can spend on fancy offices in san fran, nyc, and paris

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vox Nihili posted:

Less people afterward to challenge the land theft.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Can't even crank the old school warning siren, but have an app.

https://i.imgur.com/plQoHoB.mp4

Feeling these vibes this morning. lol, lmao. Where next for the climate hammer?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

funny that you mention that ...

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

betcha more people saw the nuclear strike message

neighborhood watch needs to upgrade its infrastructure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sPd9obwEU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

smoobles posted:

I guess we can close the thread now

we can close it when I die, which apparently will be in a firestorm, soon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stereotype posted:

we can close it when I die, which apparently will be in a firestorm, soon

any lasts requests when you die?

maybe we can glue your ashes back together...?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

it went from a small fire to the entire town being gone in like 2 hours. sustained 60mph winds and everything being dry and flammable is a bad combo. not to mention Maui is super poor and has very few services, since the insane rich don’t pay taxes pretty much.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xaris posted:

any lasts requests when you die?

maybe we can glue your ashes back together...?

my new burial request is enormous underground concrete effigy mound covered in trees so that my corpse creates a large area that is nearly impossible to develop.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Could all the king’s horses and all the king’s men glue the biosphere together again?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NYTScience/status/1690204690380623873?s=20
:cripes:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Loved the bottled water distribution centre that used to be in town - a small windowless warehouse in the middle of the industrial park. Didn't look a thing like the glacier on their label. I'm sure they filtered out all the herbicides leaching into the municipal water supply from the surrounding tree farms.

I must old. Still haven't got used to seeing Sigg fuel bottles used for water. I guess it's working out though since there doesn't seem to be many campers poisoning themselves with methanol or white gasoline. I suppose most campers probably use disposable canister propane stoves, eliminating the risk entirely..

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I only drink water that's come from a village well in Africa, shipped on a private flight (one bottle per seat) to california and been passed through an almond tree

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
liquid death has to be one of the most recent lmfao trends in bottled water

at least it's not in a plastic container so i suppose that's something

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Xaris posted:

liquid death has to be one of the most recent lmfao trends in bottled water

at least it's not in a plastic container so i suppose that's something

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVONw9Pr4w

lmao

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Wow. The more you know.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

oh yeah i knew that's a thing for coke/pepsi/7up/all sodas beacuse most of them are actually highly acidic and aluminum breaks down into the drink and then into the body fairly quickly. theoretically there's no reason for it in canned water because its mostly neutral, so i was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but i'm also guessing all cans come pre-fab with it in it

even all canned food has plastic films like canned beans, canned pineapple, canned tomato paste/sauce/diced, etc for same reasons in that aluminum can get etched away by most foods and is actually toxic to ingest dissolved aluminum

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah as bad as microplastics are you wouldn't want to eat or drink something out of an unlined can

in theory they can use plant oil to line the cans but it doesn't prevent contamination from corrosion

e: looked it up, oleoresins are the ones that are made from plants

https://www.foodpackagingforum.org/food-packaging-health/can-coatings

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Aug 12, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Haha, oh poo poo.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Guess what doomers, people have been replicating the super conductor in the last two weeks

and it's bullshit of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luVJ5IQH4Uo

starkebn has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Aug 12, 2023

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Seems like everyone I talk to lately is just like casually "yeah we're all doomed"

Were talking about moving, but it was like, "nah, the biosphere is gonna collapse before we can get our poo poo packed up"

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

quote:

He had heard stories about tainted water, like in Flint, Mich., and did not trust the faucet water at the hotel, he said, so he filled his reusable flask with ice from the hotel and poured bottled water over it. The hotel ice he trusted; the faucet water there, not so much.

quote:

“You have a decent water bottle and you get sick of it, or you’re used to seeing it all the time, and find a new one that’s pretty or it’s a new color or it holds more water or fits in a cup holder better.”

lmao

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Oglethorpe posted:

earth and most life will be fine

This is already demonstrably not true, most life is in fact very not fine.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Could all the king’s horses and all the king’s men glue the biosphere together again?

all the king's men turning all the king's horses into glue

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

it’s an extinction event we’re all supposed to die

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If there is an extinction event then why am i not extinct?

Checkmate liberals

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah as bad as microplastics are you wouldn't want to eat or drink something out of an unlined can

in theory they can use plant oil to line the cans but it doesn't prevent contamination from corrosion

e: looked it up, oleoresins are the ones that are made from plants

https://www.foodpackagingforum.org/food-packaging-health/can-coatings

you couldn’t drink soda from an unlined can because the soda would dissolve the can during distribution, and all the soda would leak out

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Anyways I knew this was going to be f****** horrible problem forever when I started reading about those f****** Spike proteins

Who taught viruses how to make guns

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

wait that guy thought the hotel ice would be good? hotel ice is for chilling externally only; those machines are bacteria farms. restaurant ones are ostensibly cleaned but in practice aren’t much better btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

you couldn’t drink soda from an unlined can because the soda would dissolve the can during distribution, and all the soda would leak out

ya and even if it didn’t other stuff would leech in and as bad as microplastics are I wouldn’t want to drink alloy solutions