Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
The crazy thing about the second one is that there's no grey area there, he's literally two meters outside the boundary line, which is helpfully painted on the surface to assist our very professional, highly skilled and not at all loving absolutely useless umpiring fraternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

There was a clear out of bounds last week in the Eagles/Bombers game. Someone ran a full metre out with the ball tucked and the umpire was literally 5m away staring at it. Ran around his opponent and back into play...

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The centre bounce to start the third quarter was atrocious. Bounced straight in the direction of Collingwood's goal, right onto the edge of the circle where it should've been called back. It forced Stanley to awkwardly backpedal while Cox had a full head of steam. He knocked it straight out, Collingwood got a clear centre clearance and kicked it straight down the throat of McStay who then goaled. Instant momentum for Collingwood which came from poor skill execution by the umpire.

They need to get rid of the bounce. It adds more needless randomness into the game. It's only there because 'footy history'. Just throw it up.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Should be bounced once at the beginning of the game by a celebrity bouncer.

The bounce is dumb. It adds an element of randomness to an already random game, sometimes the bounces are called back and sometimes they aren't when they clearly should be and it takes time off the clock rebouncing. It also prevents people who physically can't bounce the ball high enough from being umpires.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I mean, if my experience as a ruck in div 4 ressies is worth anything, throwing the ball up can still be a bit random (albeit less so than a bounce)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Go bloos

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lmao I didn't see the game so this makes it even worse - there's 3 umpires in the loving shot, one of which is also out of bounds??

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 12, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol the softest free kicks ever being paid

Umpiring is in such an atrocious state, my god

https://i.gyazo.com/62ea49bcd05f191cc2f8fb7f085b054a.mp4

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 12, 2023

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, nah that looks like a free kick

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What for? Slinging? If someone runs into you head on and you tackle them, chances are they're going over you. The whole adjudication of this in a contact sport is a massive joke. He just flops after dropping the ball.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Diet Crack posted:

What for? Slinging? If someone runs into you head on and you tackle them, chances are they're going over you. The whole adjudication of this in a contact sport is a massive joke. He just flops after dropping the ball.

Tackle continued on too long after the tackler knocked the ball out

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AFL and their goal reviews continue to cover themselves in glory

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Carlton riding the umpires coat tails to an elimination final embarassment

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Why do I keep watching this stupid sport?

Robbed of a win and possibly a home final as a consequence. It's just a gross feeling.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

St Kilda are going to lose to Richmond and bundle out of the 8 while GWS storms in, book it.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just watched the review process a bunch of times and there is no point the ball touches anyone. Like why do we have a review system if the goal ump can just guess and impact the result because the camera angles and implementation of the review system is so shithouse?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

monolithburger posted:

I mean, if my experience as a ruck in div 4 ressies is worth anything, throwing the ball up can still be a bit random (albeit less so than a bounce)

There are plenty of ways ball ups or throw-ins from the boundaries can be awful, they most important part is to know how and where they’ll be awful :haw:

The only good thing about the bounce is if your mate gives themselves a falcon trying to do a center bounce at training.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Eagles are playing as poo poo as the Northern Bullants who have conceded 1733 points this season and only scored 937.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

Eagles are playing as poo poo as the Northern Bullants who have conceded 1733 points this season and only scored 937.

Gonna take at least another few years of this before I could even begin feeling sorry for them though

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Go blues!

:toot:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Freo heave ho baby

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bummed the Crows lost another close game against a contender but the important thing is that we beat Port twice this year thus winning the Real Premiership

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Man it would be really nice if the AFL paid out for some good cameras for score reviews. The Carlton defender last night missed it with his left hand but it also did look like the path of the ball deviated slightly like it made contact with other parts of his body. Sure would be handy to be able to see if it had come off his right arm.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
This is the Darwin game against Adelaide and Trent Henschel all over again imo

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NicNat has retired. End of the era it seems. Still have 9 players from the 2018 flag, but these are the key senior leaders departing.

Gonna be an interesting 2-3 years and seeing what transpires.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-15/richmond-great-jack-riewoldt-set-to-call-it-a-day/102729968

Jack is done as well

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Helluva list of retirements this season

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hawkins, Danger, Tex, Zorko are all getting close to time as well I reckon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Adelaide has made a bad call and given another year to a clearly cooked Sloane, the only way it gets worse is if they give another year to Crouch as well

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Adelaide has made a bad call and given another year to a clearly cooked Sloane, the only way it gets worse is if they give another year to Crouch as well

Disagree on the latter sentiment, Crouch has been very good since returning. Sloane being re-signed is a bad decision though. Almost no chance he spends 2024 playing SANFL either, if they've re-signed him they're planning on playing him every opportunity :(

Meanwhile Ken Hinkley gets his two year extension. I know a couple of die-hard Port fans who will have put their fist through their wall hearing that.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

cmndstab posted:

Disagree on the latter sentiment, Crouch has been very good since returning. Sloane being re-signed is a bad decision though. Almost no chance he spends 2024 playing SANFL either, if they've re-signed him they're planning on playing him every opportunity :(

Meanwhile Ken Hinkley gets his two year extension. I know a couple of die-hard Port fans who will have put their fist through their wall hearing that.

I had to have a look at Big Footy to see the Port board melt down over Kern, didn’t disappoint.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Spedman posted:

I had to have a look at Big Footy to see the Port board melt down over Kern, didn’t disappoint.

The Port Bigfooty board is a strange place. I had a quick look around the time of the last Showdown and they all kept going on about "piss blasting", I'm not even sure what that was about but it was pretty weird.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

Zorko getting close to time as well I reckon.

:pray:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

cmndstab posted:

The Port Bigfooty board is a strange place. I had a quick look around the time of the last Showdown and they all kept going on about "piss blasting", I'm not even sure what that was about but it was pretty weird.

:whitewater:

They seem to be a small circle of very angry Port fans that hate the club more or less.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It’s not like zorko can say he wants to spend more time with his family

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Sad to see Paul Seedsman retire, particularly from concussion. Ripping player at his prime.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Crouch has been same old, which isn't enough, and him being in the team makes Laird worse by forcing him further away from the contest. He and Sloane both needed to be moved on.

We now have just 4 unconctracted senior list players come end of year - Crouch, Hately, McAdam, and Doedee. Seems a cast iron certainty now that Hately is being delisted, and that both McAdam and Doedee have already indicated they want trades.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Would love to see Tex retire and make it easier for me to actually want to support the team again tbh.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Crouch has been same old, which isn't enough, and him being in the team makes Laird worse by forcing him further away from the contest. He and Sloane both needed to be moved on.

We now have just 4 unconctracted senior list players come end of year - Crouch, Hately, McAdam, and Doedee. Seems a cast iron certainty now that Hately is being delisted, and that both McAdam and Doedee have already indicated they want trades.

Has McAdam indicated this? There have been "rumours" but as far as I can tell they are mostly because he's uncontracted and not from SA.

Seedsman presser was pretty tough to listen to. Sounds like he is still having headaches and dizzy spells regularly and if anything it is getting worse. He described his symptoms as being a "daily, almost constant occurrence", described short term memory issues, depression, anxiety, sometimes unable to even get out of bed. I've been guilty of hanging poo poo on the AFL for "going overboard" with suspensions, but something seriously needs to be done to prevent the number of concussions at AFL level. It's scary.

Chairchucker posted:

Would love to see Tex retire and make it easier for me to actually want to support the team again tbh.

Don't worry, the real Crows team (AFLW) is about to start playing again :unsmith: They had a nice win in the practice match over Brisbane last weekend, albeit we didn't get any kind of match report so I can only go by the final score.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Has McAdam indicated this? There have been "rumours" but as far as I can tell they are mostly because he's uncontracted and not from SA.

it's because it's late in the season and he is uncontracted, because there's been no discussion at all about it in the media or from the club, and because we only have 4 senior players uncontracted and need to move on 3 of them at a minimum per the draft rules.