Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i caught an ep last week for the first time in a decade and i was shocked at how normally-edited it was. they may have fired that guy or he got a klonopin prescription or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The decades long battle between coders and the Clan O'); DROP TABLE names;--

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

VictualSquid posted:

The most interesting middle name story is about a group of Iranian's I used to work with. They were all Mohammed and used their middle names in most situations.
It was very confusing to visitors because semi-formal conversation standards in German (and name signs/plates) ignore middle names.

one of my cousins married into some weird diplomat family where literally everyone is named Carl or Caroline (they have three sons and a daughter all named that) so they also use their second given name as their calling names (genealogists with ancestors in Germany might know it as Rufname, ie shouting name).

i mean its not uncommon to prefer one of many given names, but to like intentionally name your kids identical first given names with an extra given name for actual use is not so common.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 11, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

one of my cousins married into some weird diplomat family where literally everyone is named Carl or Caroline (they have three sons and a daughter all named that)

you could just say the swedish royals

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OwlFancier posted:

you could just say the swedish royals

not a bad guess but i think theyre danish/german (at least his surname points in that direction; i would ask but they moved to america 15 ago and i havent really spoken to them in 30)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Are any of the middle names Gustaf?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just realized that the one Danish woman I know is called Karoline. They must really love that name in all of its variations. Honestly not a bad first name if you want to keep it classical, I kind of like it.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

but god believe me we’re all really impresssd about how cool the Netherlands is and definitely not laughing that you have a monarch and feel so cool about the whole capitalist empire from 400 years ago, we aren’t laughing. It’s so cool you don’t have middle names. The coolest and most bad rear end part is the belgians somehow being cooler and more likeable than you lol and lmao, fry country hi five ❤️

Also most Belgians do, in fact, have middle names. It used to be Catholic tradition where your 2nd and 3rd name were your godparents' (or they chose it).

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's quite interesting, actually. On the other hand we started using last names during the Napeolonic occupation. Everyone was asked to come to their local town hall and tell a clerk what they wanted as their last name. Many people chose something sensible like their job (Bakker, Smit) a patronym (Jansen), or the place they lived (Van Dijk, Bos).

But there was also a group of people who believed that this was temporary nonsense by the occupying forces, and this new administration would be burned as soon as they left.

To this day, their descendants have last names such as "Born Naked" or "Poopies".

This is a folk tale. The truth is a bit more grim. Dutch authorities wanted everyone in the Netherlands to settle on a proper Dutch last name, so lots of foreign-born people who didn't speak Dutch (well) were assigned dutchified versions of their original family names by "helpful" clerks. The example you give of 'Naaktgeboren' (born naked) is actually a cruel joke on German 'Nachgeboren' (born after the father died).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I just assumed back then most people were a lot more prudish like Manx still is.

https://twitter.com/brasseyequotes/status/439454812535803904

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OddObserver posted:

Are any of the middle names Gustaf?

none of them, no.

Phlegmish posted:

I just realized that the one Danish woman I know is called Karoline. They must really love that name in all of its variations. Honestly not a bad first name if you want to keep it classical, I kind of like it.

yea its a fine name i like it too. still not a big fan of naming your daughter than when her brothers and father are named Carl/Karl. its practically roman

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Karl just means guy.

Húskarl is basically "House Dude".

Imagine just being called Carl it's like being called Guy Mann or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

Karl just means guy.

Charly l'Homme

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

doublepost

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

This is the only Karoline I've ever known:

I definitely associate it with Swedes, but Karl is apparently the second most popular male baby name of 2022, and Karla the 15th most popular female baby name. 7th most popular male baby name is Valdemar though. :denmark::denmark::denmark:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Karl just means guy.

Certainly not the most auspicious name on Something Awful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yikes

Here are the top five fastest rising boys’ and girls’ names in 2022:

Boys.........Girls
1. Dutton 1. Wrenlee
2. Kayce 2. Neriah
3. Chosen 3. Arlet
4. Khaza 4. Georgina
5. Eithan 5. Amiri

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i refuse to believe it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's fastest rising so if one kid in the US was named Wrenlee in 2021 and ten in 2022 it's a thousand percent increase

I'm almost certain Chosen is on there because of Nigerian immigrants

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

i say swears online posted:

yikes

Here are the top five fastest rising boys’ and girls’ names in 2022:

Boys.........Girls
1. Dutton 1. Wrenlee
2. Kayce 2. Neriah
3. Chosen 3. Arlet
4. Khaza 4. Georgina
5. Eithan 5. Amiri
I wonder if this is one of those things where they went from #500 to #300 or something like that, so it's technically fast rising, just from "basically no one" to "mostly no one".

e;fb

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

One is already too many.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the funniest one is obviously Dutton because that's the surname from the Yellowstone family

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Karl just means guy.

Wait, this means Carolus Magnus is just the big man? Literally a Great Man of History?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big charlie

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Sizeable Chuck

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
le gros mec

royale with something

There's a joke there but I haven't had enough sleep to figure it out

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Also most Belgians do, in fact, have middle names. It used to be Catholic tradition where your 2nd and 3rd name were your godparents' (or they chose it).

This is a folk tale. The truth is a bit more grim. Dutch authorities wanted everyone in the Netherlands to settle on a proper Dutch last name, so lots of foreign-born people who didn't speak Dutch (well) were assigned dutchified versions of their original family names by "helpful" clerks. The example you give of 'Naaktgeboren' (born naked) is actually a cruel joke on German 'Nachgeboren' (born after the father died).

It's funny, I heard the exact same tale from all of my Dutch family, right down to the example of 'Naaktgeboren.'

I did some research a while back on Jewish naming practices and there is a depressing parallel for this among Ashkenazi Jews. Most of the nation-states that were home to large Ashkenazi populations in the 18th-19th c. (the Austrian and Russian Empires, Prussia) implemented efforts to standardize naming practices that required all citizens to have a last name sometime in that period. A lot of Jews were among the last inhabitants of these countries to take fixed surnames, often favoring the use of some combination of patronymics and places of origin to distinguish between individuals prior to that.

This standardization of names was implemented by making an announcement that communities needed to register their names and then having all families come to a clerk's office somewhere nearby to do so. In many cases, there was significant resistance to this practice, much of it stemming from officials exploiting discriminatory attitudes towards Jews to extort money from them. A lot of the typical Ashkenazi surnames that aren't just Biblical or profession names reflect the Romanticism of the time when they were adopted (Edelstein, Apfelbaum, Rosenthal, etc.), but such appealing natural names were expensive. Those unable to pay were given insulting names like Affenkraut (monkey weed), Ochsenschwanz (oxtail), Taschengreifer (pocket grasper), Galgenstrick (gallows rope), Ladstockschwinger (ramrodswinger), Singmirwas (sing me something), and Küssemich (kiss me). If you don't recognize any of these names it's because the families assigned them abandoned them the first opportunity they got to do so. In some other areas, naming practices were more arbitrary. In parts of Hungary, for instance, officials simplified things by dividing Jews into broad groups and assigning them simple binary names like Weiss and Schwartz, or Gross and Klein.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Totally accurate translations of Charlemagne:
-Big Chuck
-Large Charles
-Gross Karl
-Massive Man

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I definitely associate it with Swedes, but Karl is apparently the second most popular male baby name of 2022, and Karla the 15th most popular female baby name. 7th most popular male baby name is Valdemar though. :denmark::denmark::denmark:

ya theyre on great grandparents names now, kids being named Karl, Petra, Severin, Agnete

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mano posted:

Wait, this means Carolus Magnus is just the big man? Literally a Great Man of History?

His poppa was the hammerman.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Carthag Tuek posted:

Middle names are extremely common in Denmark. Not as in multiple given names, but as a kind of second surname

Norway, similar story. Fixed surnames were not mandatory until 1923; before then it was mostly patronymics (changing every generation) and location names (changing when you moved). And a few vocational names and other oddities. Since 1923, it's basically frozen versions of the above.

Here too, middle names are specifically a secondary and optional family name; not inheritable, and they are limited to actual surnames used by some of your ancestors within a few generations. You are alphabetized by your surname, not your middle name. It is very common where parents have different surnames to pass both surnames to the children, one as surname and the other as middle name. (This is not the same as creating a hyphenated monstrosity, which becomes a new surname in its entirety and is alphabetized by the first part.)

As an aside, you can have any number of given names aka "first names" and no matter how many you have none of them count as a middle name. (It's very common to have just one, quite common to have two, and very uncommon to have three or more.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Heckin’ Chucky

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Huge boi in the neighborhood
Lives near Vaals and it's understood.
He's there just to take good care of me,
Like he's one of the family.

Charles is Large
He has thousands of knights
Charles in Charge
Of our Rome and our rites

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mano posted:

Yes. He was literally big though, I heard he stood like 190cm tall, which was abnormally tall for the 9th century and would still be very tall today.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

in some ways, i would say that names were historically more like a local translation of some imagined "universal constant". ie if you had any contact with people who lived further than the next parish, it would be translated back and forth via dialects and even latin or other languages, so Jørgen is literally identical to Jürgen, Georg, Yuri, Jorge, Yrjö, etc. same if you moved, your name remained the same but became pronounced/written differently

thiis is up to say late 1700s or so at the latest. by then, bureaucracy has become so effective and ingrained, that it takes effort to actually change your name. like the common story of immigrants getting their names changed at ellis island is false. they had extremely accurate records, but for a lot of people it was and is convenient to change your name to be less "ethnic". no shame on them, only on the society people and that causes that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

ya theyre on great grandparents names now, kids being named Karl, Petra, Severin, Agnete
Pretty crazy that there are people alive today who are the great grand kids of Valdemar the Great.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty crazy that there are people alive today who are the great grand kids of Valdemar the Great.

no that kid is named after his great/great-great grandpa Valdemar who was named so because his parents read Johs. V. Jensen or wanted to seem like it

old royal names had a big rennaissance in the mid/late 1800s, cf. also Knud, Margrethe, etc. they were almost never used from say 1200 to 1850 or so

but that rennaissance came from the golden age writers, eg Grundtvig, Oehlenschläger, et al digging up old myths and writing popular versions

see? theres a direct thruline

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jørgen Jørgensen (1780-1841), Lord Protector of the Republic of Iceland (26.June 1809 - 22. August 1809) was Jörundur Jörundsson to his Icelandic subjects and when the British captured him and sent him to Tasmania he became Jorgen Jorgenso because Brits can't handle the Ø.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 12, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

no that kid is named after his great/great-great grandpa Valdemar who was named so because his parents read Johs. V. Jensen or wanted to seem like it

old royal names had a big rennaissance in the mid/late 1800s, cf. also Knud, Margrethe, etc. they were almost never used from say 1200 to 1850 or so

but that rennaissance came from the golden age writers, eg Grundtvig, Oehlenschläger, et al digging up old myths and writing popular versions

see? theres a direct thruline
While this makes sense on some level, I think you're not taking into account that Valdemar was blessed by God, and he and his descendants must have had Biblical lifespans.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Jørgen Jørgensen, Lord Protector of the Republic of Iceland (26.June 1809 - 22. August 18008) was Jörundur Jörundsson to his Icelandic subjects and when the British captured him and sent him to Tasmania he became Jorgen Jorgenso because Brits can't handle the Ø.

drat, this dude is gonna be even older.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mano posted:

I suppose Magnus Carlsen would be "the big son of some guy".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Jørgen Jørgensen, Lord Protector of the Republic of Iceland (26.June 1809 - 22. August 18008) was Jörundur Jörundsson to his Icelandic subjects and when the British captured him and sent him to Tasmania he became Jorgen Jorgenso because Brits can't handle the Ø.

Getting into trouble with Brits while titled Lord Protector feels very politically loaded in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
All hail the Eternal Lord Protector, he slumbers in a glacier until the Icelandic Republic's darkest day, or until global warming melts the glacier, whichever comes first.