Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I have twenty bucks worth of currency I've been sitting on since OW2 launched. Can I use that for the new PVE content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Open Marriage Night posted:

I have twenty bucks worth of currency I've been sitting on since OW2 launched. Can I use that for the new PVE content?

No, PVE is behind a real paywall. You can buy the battlepass with OW Coins (not credits).

15 USD for the "cheap" option, which includes 1000 ow coins
45 USD for the fancy option, which includes 2 additional skins, plus 2k coins, plus the battle pass, plus 20 level skips.

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/overwatch-invasion-bundle?p=1337309

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

headcase posted:

That hole in the back of her cloak that shows the rib cage, and the angle of her neck are weird.

That is legit one of my favourite things, she's a weird robot skellington and I'm here for it :allears:

So good, love the relaxation highlight intro with the robot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rawrbomb posted:

No, PVE is behind a real paywall. You can buy the battlepass with OW Coins (not credits).

15 USD for the "cheap" option, which includes 1000 ow coins
45 USD for the fancy option, which includes 2 additional skins, plus 2k coins, plus the battle pass, plus 20 level skips.

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/overwatch-invasion-bundle?p=1337309

Lol. Then my 2,000 coins can continue to rot. Not giving this company any more money after how badly they handled this game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The free PvE mission is the exactly same event we've played a billion times for free already and I highly doubt that one of the other 3 are any different.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Maybe if the PvE goes on sale I'll buy it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack Trades posted:

The free PvE mission is the exactly same event we've played a billion times for free already and I highly doubt that one of the other 3 are any different.

They're basically Archives+, so if you like Archives then great! If you don't, or were expecting something actually involved or complicated, then you're going to be extremely disappointed.

I enjoyed them, but I enjoy Archives for the most part anyway. Weirdly I think that the original Blackwatch Archives mission is still the most interesting. You got dudes coming off boats, roping off dropships, weird snipers and hunters, it's a good time.

Also the interactions in that are great, just a bunch of people that hate each other complaining that things have gone to poo poo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Blackwatch Archives was great! I was hoping OW2 would do more of that, but they've been dicking around for so long, it's not worth an extra $15 now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Assepoester posted:

smh that they gave lifeweaver a giant hand to grab friendlies with, but don't give him a giant fist to punch enemies with, launching them off the map and into pits

Lifeweaver cast "Bigby's Hand"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lifeweaver is still so bad it's insane lmao

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Illari is so fun to play that it makes releasing Lifeweaver the way they did seem insane

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

He does pretty good damage at long range now compared to before but yeah he's still kinda rear end :shobon: Really don't know what do with him at this point, even making number bigger can't fix him

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Illari is so fun to play that it makes releasing Lifeweaver the way they did seem insane

I played Illari on defense on Hollywood and put my pylon on top of the first archway choke and it lived literally the entire game even though the enemy knew where it was and would try to shoot at it

She's probably overtuned, but god drat is she fun

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Chillgamesh posted:

She's probably overtuned, but god drat is she fun

My prediction as a complete casual quickplay scrub is that they'll nerf the Pylon, buff her M2, maybe nerf her fully charged M1 a little. Which I think would be a shame because I love building turrets and stuff, but time will tell.

The only complaint I have about her after a day of play is the same one I have about Symmetra and Zarya: I cannot loving tell how far my beam actually goes.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I expect ether a fire rate reduction on the turret, or a 10-15 hp reduction on the shots. Maybe a bit more "ammo" on M2, but it heals at a slightly slower rate. Gun seems fine in terms of burst, maybe a little slower charge but less recovery to spray the underpowered shot

She's strong, but I think a good amount of that is people learning to deal with her. Once people figure out to start watching for that turret, I suspect she's going to be a lot lower on the "So OP!" scale.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
So far I loving love this season, right now I'm 23-2 in comp. I was stuck in silver on tank and decided to solo queue to drag myself out and went 16-1 to get myself up to gold 2. Felt good to be the best player in every single game. Silver and gold players just do not understand how to play against a competent Zarya.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I do like how at semi high elo's people have started using him so you can do deeper dives and get out safely, at least.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
Does everyone really not like Illari’s M2? It does 120 healing per second! That’s almost twice as much as Moira’s piss spray (70) and almost as much as coalescence (140). Adding the pylon on top of that makes her burst healing seem insane.

Feel like she’s a dps character who can quickly heal her team and the go back to dpsing, instead of having to thread damage between healing like Bap or Kiriko

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I think it's a bit early to say Lifeweaver is still bad, the latest buffs are kind of insane. The change to 50 armor worth of health, the Tree of Life overhealth buff, further thorn volley spread buffs, the increased heal from his dash...... I mean there has to be a point where all of these things add up to just an unkillable blob of health

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i see a lot of really good lifeweavers in gold but they feel so underwhelming to play. illaris m2 has a v short range so it feels like she gets all her healing power from the pylon which is at least an interesting gimmick

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

toadee posted:

I think it's a bit early to say Lifeweaver is still bad, the latest buffs are kind of insane. The change to 50 armor worth of health, the Tree of Life overhealth buff, further thorn volley spread buffs, the increased heal from his dash...... I mean there has to be a point where all of these things add up to just an unkillable blob of health

He still runs into the fundamental problem of being a support with almost no utility. Granted, Tree of Life is now definitely a very strong ultimate, but switching from his left and right click still feels bad because the delay on his healing charge means that he can't snap heal someone who's about to die, he only has his grip.

If they want to make him actually good they need to switch the way his heal charges; have it start at full charge and then recharge automatically after firing. Like how Illari's weapons work. That way you can still fire off heals while applying thorn volley pressure.

Speaking of Illari, there's 0 chance her turret doesn't eat a nerf. They literally just hit Torb's turret with the reasoning of "it provided too much value just for throwing it down"

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

It's good that the new hero is being released in a functional state, but just two weeks ago the thread was discussing how one of the game's fundamental design flaws was that there is too much healing.

There's some bitter irony in how healing as it is now would be better suited for a PvE game, and Blizz just put the mummified remains of their aborted PvE mode for sale.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Not 5 pages ago people were complaining about healing being to powerful in general so its pretty funny to me that they made a new character who has a hands-off heal turret and a powerful heal M2. :evilbuddy:

Looking forward to playing her.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

It's good that the new hero is being released in a functional state, but just two weeks ago the thread was discussing how one of the game's fundamental design flaws was that there is too much healing.

There's some bitter irony in how healing as it is now would be better suited for a PvE game, and Blizz just put the mummified remains of their aborted PvE mode for sale.

Lol indeed

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there a way to make Illari's primary charge meter a little brighter? I'm having a tough time getting a feel for when it's fully charged because it doesn't pop enough for me

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The only PVP shooter that does healing close to "right" imo is Apex. It's an insanely hard thing to balance.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
I’m curious how Illari is going to age once people get used to her. The complaint about Moira for years has been that she has no utility; she can damage, heal, and escape, and that’s it. That seems to describe Illari to a T. Are people going to say the same thing about her, or does she have more pop-off potential to make up for it?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

AndNowMax posted:

I’m curious how Illari is going to age once people get used to her. The complaint about Moira for years has been that she has no utility; she can damage, heal, and escape, and that’s it. That seems to describe Illari to a T. Are people going to say the same thing about her, or does she have more pop-off potential to make up for it?

I'm loving Illari and guess who my other main is

I think Illari similarly just does it all while having a higher skill ceiling

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
An Illari nearly beat me with her pew-pew in FFA DM if that's any indication. Very close game. I can pew-pew with the cowboy pretty good, and it was the second day of playing?

More power to that Peru support. Patch Notes: Sunstruck now says N U K E D

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

AndNowMax posted:

The only place that complaint is valid is in organized comp play or maybe pushing in high GM/T500. For anything lower, Moira provides some of the best utility possible for ladder pushing: she can safely distract 2-3 players at the beginning of a team fight and reliably escape when things go bad. That's literally all you need out of any hero to push all the way to GM. You just have to constantly refine what the current definition of distract, safety, and escape are for each new skill level.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AndNowMax posted:

The comparison is fair in the sense that they both are supports who pump out healing and damage in huge amounts and that's it. The key difference is that Illari is a long range hitscan hero so it's a lot easier for your team to instantly pick someone off after you headshot them, instead of Moira's constant damage over time.

I think you'll 100% need to run Kiriko or Ana alongside them, but in something like a sigma comp where you just play off corners constantly I think Illari would deserve serious consideration competitively

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Kiriko is eating good right now. Teleport's working again, Suzu might be even stronger now than it was before, and her body shots aren't completely useless anymore.

People are going to be shouting for nerfs again.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Good Will Hrunting posted:

The only PVP shooter that does healing close to "right" imo is Apex. It's an insanely hard thing to balance.
the healing in the battle royale genre, battlebit, battlefield series, etc. are done pretty well and are not really frustrating from the attacker's perspective in the way overwatch can be

overwatch is what happens when you turn that dial to 11

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I know I'm in the minority around here, but the healing in OW is half the reason I play the game. Supporting/healing is my favorite game role, and I appreciate it not being anemic and useless. If they nerfed healing on a global level they'd need to nerf DPS ability to two-shot each other, the way I see it. If it takes longer to heal someone to full, TTK needs to be longer too.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Healing output doesn't really correspond to 2/3 shot kill heroes though? A nerf to global healing is a buff to sustain, not snipers

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I don't have any general complaint with healing either. To me saying "this core part of Overwatch is frustrating and these other games get it right" just means the person saying it should go play those other games then. The answer is not "make every game play the way I like to play", clearly a lot of people like Overwatch’s unique flow .

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I agree that the healing does differentiate OW from other shooters. Too many supports play healbot, which can be fine if you have a support who is able to do DPS damage or provide insane utility. If your supports do like 3k combined damage you're probably going to lose slowly though. It's a tough balancing act, though I do think dps can get the short straw.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Healing output doesn't really correspond to 2/3 shot kill heroes though? A nerf to global healing is a buff to sustain, not snipers

I get what you're saying but I still feel that a global healing nerf would necessitate an equivalent global damage nerf to keep the game fun (for me.)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

toadee posted:

I don't have any general complaint with healing either. To me saying "this core part of Overwatch is frustrating and these other games get it right" just means the person saying it should go play those other games then. The answer is not "make every game play the way I like to play", clearly a lot of people like Overwatch’s unique flow .

Healing wasn't as strong when the game came out, so a lot of us are kinda annoyed at the heal creep. It pushes the game well into "burst is king" which annoyingly enough, is exactly like the other games I try to avoid. Like my least favourite heroes to play against is hanzo and widow because half my team can just fall over. Sometimes they're not even doing anything wrong, just a random log hits them as they peek a corner and oh gently caress, fights already over.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Bring back mercy’s AoE rez and sym as a shield based support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Unironically bring back Orisa's magic displacement ball, man that character used to be so much fun and now is just meh.