Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
hhh is off the board lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cubone posted:

hhh is off the board lol

vince is going to murder him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince will never forgive triple h for losing to aew one time

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If HHH somehow managed to actually steal control of the company from Vince like the "Steve Austin is CEO" or "Shane buys WCW" storylines, I wonder if Vince would piss and moan because it's his company or if he'd be proud because it's such a good angle and it's what he would've done.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince will never forgive triple h for losing to aew one time

And now AEW has surpassed the seat count sold at Wembley Stadium back at the 1992 Summerslam, which might actually be the actual, real deal, no asterisks highest body crowd any show of theirs ever got.

There are downsides to being a psychopath, one sometimes sees.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
AEW may be winning the wrestling wars, but Tony Khan will never beat Vince in the gif game!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

big van vader caused a riot after beating antonio inoki thats heat brother

inoki had been undefeated for like 2 years at that point and booked Vader to end his streak and the riot was so bad that njpw was banned from the Tokyo dome for like 20 years lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

wrestling in japan is serious business

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
inoki is everything vince wanted to be

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

wrestling in japan is serious business

yeah the guy that essentially popularized it was stabbed to death (well, died of an infection because the killer pissed on the knife) and I think the accepted theory is one of the other wrestlers he had a feud with hired the killer

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

inoki is everything vince wanted to be

can confirm

AlmightyBob posted:

yeah the guy that essentially popularized it was stabbed to death (well, died of an infection because the killer pissed on the knife) and I think the accepted theory is one of the other wrestlers he had a feud with hired the killer

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
one of the reasons japanese wrestling fans hate brock lesnar is because he wouldn't allow inoki to slap the poo poo out of him before a match

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

what a loving wuss

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the origin of the slap is because inoki slapped the poo poo out of a small child because he was being disrespected and instead of destroying his career forever it became tradition

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

that's commitment to heel kayfabe

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

THE RETURN AND DEATH OF SHANE MCMAHON: PART 1

The McMahons all have their problems. Vince is a psychopath. Linda is a corrupt business robot. Stephanie is a control freak with a chip on her shoulder. But Shane? Shane was the one fans considered almost normal. At least, in comparison. A lot of the time, he was likeable, tried his hardest in the ring, put his rear end on the line, and tried to get others over. He once had a hardcore match at SummerSlam where he took a ridiculous bump just for the sake of trying to establish Steve Blackman.

Dude knew that Steve Blackman was the motherfucking man and I respect that.

Whatever goodwill Shane had with the fans was shattered in 2009. At the time, Randy Orton was getting incredibly popular as WWE’s top villain. He punted Vince’s skull and took him off the table for a while. He RKO’d Stephanie. He won the Royal Rumble and insisted that if he was fired for his actions and cheated out of his deserved WrestleMania match, he would sue. So then what happened? Well, Shane showed up and started beating up Orton and his Legacy goons via his terrible boxing punches. Orton had to sell quick punches that came nowhere near him, while working through the quick ones that legitimately made contact.

Shane would be written off TV soon after and was simply done with WWE. After almost seven years, Shane decided to make a comeback. While I don’t know the details of his business ventures outside of WWE, I do know that Shane genuinely missed his father and Vince was such a workaholic that the only way to spend any time with him was to be in the wrestling business.

The setup was that one night on Raw, Vince was giving Stephanie the “Vincent J. McMahon Legacy of Excellence,” which obviously meant someone was going to get involved to screw with it. It being Shane was completely unexpected and a very welcome surprise. Absence lets the heart grow fonder and people were willing to forgive the silly Orton punches.

Unfortunately, things took a rough turn immediately. See, Shane wanted to take over Raw. He had some kind of incriminating evidence in a lockbox that would gently caress over Vince and he was using that as blackmail. Vince decided to make a deal with him. Shane would have a match at WrestleMania. If Shane won, he would get to run Raw. If Shane lost, he would give up his lockbox goodies. Shane accepted.

The problem was that Vince’s character thought about it logically. He decided to make it a Hell in a Cell match... against the Undertaker! And if Undertaker lost, then Undertaker could never wrestle at WrestleMania ever again! Now, this was 2016. Undertaker was two years removed from ending his legendary Streak and one year removed from defeating would-be replacement Bray Wyatt. This all seemed like a bad use of him.

More than that, it was a match that neither guy should lose. Undertaker never wrestling at WrestleMania was simply not a viable option. At the same time, if Shane lost, what was even the point?

The two had their match at the first excruciatingly long WrestleMania, WrestleMania 32. It was the longest match of the night, clocking in at just over 30 minutes. It would have been fine if it was ten minutes shorter, but nope, we needed a middle-age Shane trying to act like he was on Undertaker’s level with bad MMA and those classic punches. The match ended with the two outside of the cell with Shane setting Undertaker up on a table, climbing to the top of the cell, and jumping down onto the table, just as Undertaker was moving out of the way. After Undertaker pinned Shane, he patted him on the cheek to show respect.

Vince decided, eh gently caress it, Shane gets to run Raw with Stephanie after all. This went a few weeks until Vince announced that there would be yet another Raw/SmackDown draft. This time, Shane would get to be the Commissioner of SmackDown while Stephanie would be the Commissioner of Raw. Each one would get to choose a General Manager to help run their own show. Vince wanted his children to compete with each other and be ruthless about it.

While Stephanie had Mick Foley as her GM, Shane went with Daniel Bryan. Bryan had been forced to retire from in-ring action a year earlier and was just there to ride out his contract and be on TV. The dynamics were that Foley tried to see eye-to-eye with Stephanie, but gradually found that impossible, and that Shane and Bryan were simply buddies who came off as down-to-earth dudes on a show full of crazy people.

And God, SmackDown in 2016 was loving awesome. Probably the last time WWE was genuinely must-see. The roster was great, the stories were great, the out-of-character online post-show Talking Smack was brilliant, and the comedy was on point when they went in that direction. Like there was a whole storyline where Heath Slater was never selected for either side of the draft and would go from show to show, begging for a roster spot because, “I GOT KIDS!” Finally, Rhyno took pity on him and they won a tournament to crown the inaugural SmackDown Tag Team Championship.

Or the tag team of Fandango (a ballroom dancer) and Tyler Breeze (selfie-obsessed male model) becoming “fashion cops” which led to them doing all kinds of pop culture police show/movie parodies, like Law & Order and Twin Peaks. When faced with the Usos, who wore t-shirts saying “DAY ONE ISH,” Fandango would read it as “Day One is H.”

After losing to the Usos, Breezango came into a very confused Shane’s office to turn in their badges.

Breeze: “You wanted to see us, Commissioner?”

Shane: “Nope.”

Fandango: “I see you shaved your mustache.”

Shane: “I... never had a mustache. I didn’t ask you guys to come in here.”

Fandango: “Commissioner, we know you wanted us to come in here to turn in our badges.”

Breeze: “After we lost to the Usos, it was understandable. We don’t even deserve these anymore.”

Fandango: “Their day one was just a little more H than ours.”

Shane: “You know you guys, um... you’re not real cops.”

Fandango: “My dad keeps saying that. I’m starting to think you’re both right.”

With the split roster, they quickly built towards SummerSlam’s main event of Brock Lesnar (Raw) facing Randy Orton (SmackDown) based on how they were in the same developmental class and never had a major match outside of some throwaway bout from Orton’s first couple months on the main roster in 2002. The SummerSlam match was a disaster as they decided to have Brock brutalize Orton and legitimately bust him open with elbow strikes to the skull before calling the match off. This was part of the plan, but they figured having Brock actually tear open Orton’s head would be better than simply having him blade. Of course, Orton got legit concussed and never wanted to work with Brock again.

In the post-match, Shane checked up on Randy and ended up getting in Brock’s way. Brock F5’d Shane, who didn’t do much in terms of selling the move afterwards. This was supposed to set up Brock vs. Shane down the line, but Brock laughed his rear end off at this suggestion and refused.

Shane would still find a way to get himself injured on PPV regardless. Survivor Series was coming up and there would be an elimination tag match of five guys from SmackDown vs. five guys from Raw. In the storyline, Baron Corbin was on Team SmackDown, but got injured and Shane subbed for him. I should remind you that it was incredibly frustrating that Shane was able to take his spot while Daniel Bryan, the GM who everyone wanted to see wrestle again, was forced to stay on the sidelines.

During that match, Shane did a big leap off the ropes and got caught in mid-air with a spear from Roman Reigns. Shane then kicked out. He was not supposed to, but that spear hosed him up real good and he was too concussed to know what to do. And so, awkwardly, the ref deemed him in no condition to compete immediately after.

Going into WrestleMania, there was a rather complicated storyline going on between Luke Harper, AJ Styles, and Randy Orton over who was going to challenge Bray Wyatt for the championship. Styles ended up losing his chance and took his frustrations out on Shane backstage. Because Shane fought back, he was temporarily suspended from his role as SmackDown Commissioner. Before walking out of the arena, he stopped, grabbed the mic and said that he wanted a piece of AJ Styles at WrestleMania.

AJ won the match, which was followed up with AJ turning face and the two showing each other respect. The match was pretty good because AJ Styles was in it.

Actually, scratch that. Not every AJ Styles match is good. Despite being just as talented, AJ was never able to gel with Kevin Owens. Too bad they were going to be feuding a few months after and Shane was going to be getting very involved.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

inoki had been undefeated for like 2 years at that point and booked Vader to end his streak and the riot was so bad that njpw was banned from the Tokyo dome for like 20 years lol

Also the incredibly mainstream popular Beat Takeshi was managing Vader before the ruckus, and this 'celebrity' coming to their world and squashing their hero (after he'd wrestled someone else, mind) was a huge part of why they wrecked up the place.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Arbite posted:

Also the incredibly mainstream popular Beat Takeshi was managing Vader before the ruckus, and this 'celebrity' coming to their world and squashing their hero (after he'd wrestled someone else, mind) was a huge part of why they wrecked up the place.

Big Van Vader Babaganoush.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arbite posted:

I can't help but feel like that must have been exactly what they were going for.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Fashion Police are one of the best things the WWE has ever done.

Also I can't wait for you to get to 2018 because *oh boy* Shane in 2018 is some goofy poo poo.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
WWE region blocking video on their Twitter feed.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Arbite posted:

Please God let there be footage of Takeshi Kitano cutting a heel promo on Antonio Inoki :pray:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
What I appreciate about Shane McMahon is he's a billionaire who tries to kill himself for our entertainment, and I wish all billionaires could have that same mindset.

It's just him and that OceanGate guy, so far.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jamesman posted:

What I appreciate about Shane McMahon is he's a billionaire who tries to kill himself for our entertainment, and I wish all billionaires could have that same mindset.

It's just him and that OceanGate guy, so far.

While not quite a billionaire, the Segway inventor fell off a cliff while riding his Segway, which is somewhat entertaining.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He wasn’t the inventor, he bought the company nine months before he drove(?) one off a cliff.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This one's a little all over the place, but it's right before everything goes off the rails.

THE RETURN AND DEATH OF SHANE MCMAHON: PART 2

Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan had a good thing going as the guys running SmackDown, as they did little more than announce matches and play the straight men to guys like Dean Ambrose and Breezango. Being that this is WWE, they couldn’t help themselves and did a long-running authority figure vs. wrestler feud. This time the feud was Shane vs. Kevin Owens in what was almost like a reverse of Vince vs. Austin with the authority figure being an honorable, good dude and the wrestler being a rebellious, but petulant piece of poo poo.

The idea was that between being a special referee in an AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens match and trying to create order on a show where Owens kept wanting to break the rules, Shane had pissed Owens up to the point that they started fighting it out. This led to a Hell in a Cell match, which was pretty decent because the two had in-ring styles that meshed well with each other. McMahons are at their best when they’re overwhelmed brawlers who can take a lot of punishment, but will fight dirty when given the opportunity.

Once again, the match ended with Owens draped over a table with Shane climbing to the top of the cage. As Shane jumped off, Sami Zayn appeared out of nowhere to rescue Owens.

Now Sami Zayn’s deal is that he and Owens were longtime best friends and competed in the indies as El Generico and Kevin Steen. They had been tag partners and endless rivals, which translated into them being in NXT. In NXT, Sami was the perfect face. Pure-hearted and fun to watch with nigh-endless tenacity. Owens was a perfect foil for him as the underhanded bully who would destroy his best friend just to succeed.

Like many NXT things, plans changed when they hit the main roster. Vince seemed to really enjoy Owens, but just did not get Sami. When they feuded, it was all Owens wins until Sami got his long-awaited, cathartic final victory. Too bad there was no meaningful follow-up. Owens became Universal Champion and Sami got... Braun Strowman.

Sami vs. Braun was an okay idea on paper, but WWE treated it like Dan Hibiki vs. Sagat. Just a series of one-sided slaughters with one guy not knowing when to quit. Mick Foley would come out mid-match, tearfully pleading with Sami to stop trying to fight the giant muscle monster because Sami is tiny and sucks and can never win. And he really didn’t unless you count “survive for a few minutes and not die” as a win.

Sami saving Owens was a much-needed change for the character and the two reunited as best friends who were also just the shittiest dudes. They would team up to bend every rule possible, like if Owens had a match and Shane said Sami couldn’t be ringside, Sami would still show up on the ramp and later explain that the ramp does not count as “ringside,” so it’s fine.

Putting a pin in that, Survivor Series 2017 was coming up. Now, Survivor Series is the butt of a lot of jokes among fans because it’s when they make a big deal out of it being the one night when Raw and SmackDown are pitted against each other. The criticism is that since they’re both WWE, the rivalry means nothing. Which I get, but also, like... every wrestler in the company is WWE. That doesn’t stop them from being compelling or having the chance to be compelling.

There’s a good idea in there, especially during the Shane vs. Stephanie era. In kayfabe, winning more matches at the PPV makes your roster seem bigger and more important. Your titles mean more. Your victories mean more. Your stock is higher and you get to be considered the “A show.” There's a strong desire to crush the competition.

Were they able to capitalize on that? Not really. Though the build to Survivor Series 2017 was good. Stephanie had replaced Foley as GM with Kurt Angle. Angle and Shane seemed to be on good terms, but then Shane had his SmackDown guys invade the locker room and completely gently caress everyone up. Stephanie was furious at Angle and Angle was pissed and felt betrayed when it came to Shane. Both Shane and Angle were put in the SmackDown vs. Raw five-on-five elimination match, though Triple H would also be on the Raw side to make sure they had it on lock. Plus if Raw lost, Angle would be fired.

Shane ended up being the final man on his team, up against Kurt Angle, Triple H, and Braun Strowman. Angle was getting his revenge on Shane with an ankle lock, but Triple H decided to Pedigree Angle and drape Shane over him for the elimination. Then Triple H took out Shane. Braun was angry about this, yelled at Triple H, shrugged off an attack, then laid Triple H out. There was zero follow-up to this part.

Back to the Owens feud, Shane had finally hit his breaking point and decided he was just going to gently caress him over openly. This got him suspended, but not before Owens and Sami completely beat the poo poo out of him backstage to write him off with an injury. This should have been a serious moment, but Shane’s over-the-top coughing and gagging noises after the attack were just too funny. It almost sounded like he was getting comically winded from beating beaten up.

Around this time, Daniel Bryan’s contract was coming up and with it apparent that he was going to just leave and go somewhere that allowed him to wrestle, WWE finally caved and allowed him to return to in-ring action. WrestleMania 34 had Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn where the authority figures won, finally ending that storyline. Afterwards, Bryan returned to the roster and stepped down as SmackDown GM.

Shane started to be on TV less after that for a bit. WWE started their relationship with Saudi Arabia and their first PPV was the Greatest Royal Rumble. The Saudi prince wanted the shows to seem like a big deal and “equal or better than WrestleMania,” hence the title and the inclusion of a 50-man Royal Rumble. It was the kind of show that was big on paper, but completely empty, like having a throwaway John Cena vs. Triple H opening match that meant absolutely nothing.

The Greatest Royal Rumble itself had the same issue, as it was 50 wrestlers, but winning meant nothing in the long run and most of the roster was lower midcarders. The only notable parts of the match were:

1) Daniel Bryan was in at #1 and broke the record for longest time in the ring at an hour and sixteen minutes. It was also kind of a novelty that it was the only time we would ever get to see Bryan and Angle mix it up in the ring.

2) Titus O’Neil ran out and completely ate poo poo during his entrance by tripping and sliding under the ring. The commentators could not stop laughing for the next five minutes and showed plenty of replays. This would be Titus’ most memorable moment, other than that super awkward time he got screamed at by Vince during Bryan’s retirement RIGHT as the show was ending.

3) Braun Strowman broke the record for most eliminations with 13. One of them was Shane, who lasted eight minutes before being thrown out of the ring and going through a table.

It was a rather by-the-numbers appearance for Shane, but the next Saudi PPV was going to be really weird and really, really dumb.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!
Tore a quad this weekend and the only thing I could think about the whole time was how much better Vince handled it when he popped em both.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Aww I missed funny sign chat. Anyway here's one I enjoy for the absurdity.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

lmao burn

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
People still bring those corn signs to shows

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

THE RETURN AND DEATH OF SHANE MCMAHON: PART 3

Crown Jewel in 2018 was a cursed event, taking place in Saudi Arabia only weeks after the horrific murder of Jamal Khashoggi. Vince decided that he would only drop out of the show if his good buddy Trump outright told him to, so instead they just kept business as usual but made sure to never mention on TV where the show was. Guys like John Cena and Daniel Bryan refused to be part of it and the company figured, what the hell, if people were going to be pissed about the show, it was the perfect time and place to bring back disgraced racist Hulk Hogan.

There was a lot wrong with this show, including the depressing main event of Triple H and Shawn Michaels (coming out of his high-profile retirement for an insane paycheck) against Undertaker and Kane. The World Cup Tournament, on the other hand, was merely incredibly stupid, which felt quaint compared to everything else going on.

The idea was that they would do an eight-man tournament throughout the show for a trophy. It would feature guys from both Raw and SmackDown. In fact, it was a pretty solid set of wrestlers with Seth Rollins, Bobby Lashley (replacing Cena), Kurt Angle, Dolph Ziggler, Rey Mysterio, Randy Orton, Jeff Hardy, and the Miz. This led to a finale of Dolph Ziggler (Raw) vs. Miz (SmackDown). Curiously, this was a heel vs. heel finals.

Shortly into the match, Miz hurt his knee in kayfabe. Shane came out to check up on him and Miz told him to take his place. Shane did so and quickly defeated Ziggler. Ziggler, who had wrestled for over 20 minutes throughout the show. Against a guy who just popped into the finals.

I should remind you that Shane was the face and Ziggler was the heel. Even in the aftermath, Shane was never adamant that calling him “The Best in the World” under these circumstances was ridiculous. He just kind of went with it. Miz also went with it, saying that he and Shane were equally the best in the world. At first, it looked like he was simply kissing Shane’s rear end, as it did get him a spot as the captain of the SmackDown Survivor Series team.

Survivor Series 2018 was weird. In the last installment, I talked about how the war between brands can work if done right. Usually, these shows end with each show getting an equal amount of wins or maybe SmackDown gets one more (because Raw gets more emphasis anyway). This time, as we’re in the third year of Shane’s SmackDown vs. Stephanie’s Raw, they had an idea that was genuinely interesting.

Again, the IDEA was interesting.

The plan was that Raw was going to do a clean sweep. Raw was going to win every single crossover match that night, leaving SmackDown with nothing but losers. This was going to make Shane completely snap and he was going to turn heel on the SmackDown locker room for failing him.

Other than the fact that there was a very confused and annoyed Fox representative in the front row (Fox had just paid a shitload of money to be the home of SmackDown), there were two major problems with how this went down.

First, the Usos won the opening match, a 10-on-10 elimination tag match made up of established tag teams. The Usos were SmackDown. This was a mistake by the bookers, probably a call that Vince made last minute before realizing he was loving up the plans. It’s okay, though, as the commentators would drill it into everyone’s skulls that that match was on the pre-show and therefore did not count. Raw absolutely dominated Survivor Series. Ignore this asterisk, please!

Second, Shane never really reacted to it in any way. SmackDown lost all their matches (asterisk) and there was no punishment for it. Shane was still a chill bro. It really was just a pointless exercise.

At least it did give us the champ vs. champ dream match of Daniel Bryan vs. Brock Lesnar. That one absolutely loving ruled and I kind of want to watch it again right now.

For it being pointless, it was just as well. Several months earlier, Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, Nick Jackson, and Matt Jackson put together All In, a wildly successful non-WWE PPV featuring people from Ring of Honor, New Japan Pro Wrestling, National Wrestling Alliance, and other corners of the wrestling world. This got enough buzz that WWE was interested in signing all four members of the Elite. As far as they were concerned, they absolutely had this locked in.

WWE had gotten pretty stagnant around this time. While there would be a few interesting storylines, the show was really a shell of what it used to be. Believe me, it would get far, far worse in the years that followed, but at least here there was a self-awareness to it all. Sort of.

On Raw, Vince, Stephanie, Shane, and Triple H came out to announce that they were all working together. They understood that WWE was kind of lovely lately. Rather than take any blame themselves (being the ones actually in charge), they turned their attention to Constable Corbin, a doofus over-pushed wrestler dressed like a TGIF waiter who had become Raw’s General Manager. As the kayfabe reason for things being bad, they dressed him down and said that from now on, the FANS would be in charge. This was a setup to them eventually announcing that they listened to the fans by hiring Kenny Omega and his buddies.

That... didn’t happen. Tony Khan offered them the ground floor on All Elite Wrestling and while Cody wasn’t quite sure at first, the four unanimously took Tony’s offer and left WWE in the dust. There was no follow-up to the McMahon Family segment other than the fact that it completely killed the Shane vs. Stephanie status quo for good.

The Miz story continued though. It was actually really fun. Miz wanted to be best buddies with Shane. Since they were “Co-Best in the World,” Miz pestered Shane into being his tag team partner. As I’m writing this, AEW’s most entertaining story is MJF and Adam Cole stumbling into an excited friendship and Shane/Miz feels like a prototype.

Shane reluctantly gave in and despite a rocky start, the two became successful. They even defeated the Bar (Sheamus and Cesaro) to become tag champs! Then they lost to the Usos. Then they lost the rematch. After that, Shane attacked Miz from behind, swerving everyone who expected it to go the other way around. Yes, Miz's intentions were genuine after all. It was Shane who was the rear end in a top hat.

Shane had gone heel, now fully owning the “Best in the World” moniker and using it to taunt Miz at every turn. More importantly, he started messing with Miz’s father. “Miz Dad,” while apparently a very sweet and likeable man, is a very weird-looking and awkward guy, so seeing him put up his dukes to fight Shane was a wonderful thing.

Miz vs. Shane took place at WrestleMania 35 as a Falls Count Anywhere match. Even though Miz suplexed Shane off a tall platform and they went through a cardboard-covered crash pad, the unconscious Shane ended up on top of Miz and got the win anyway. The same kind of finish happened at the next PPV, where they had a cage match and Shane only escaped because he got momentarily knocked out while trying to climb out of the cage, Miz grabbed him by the shirt, and Shane fell out of it and onto the floor.

Shockingly, as this was the first time we ever got to see Shane shirtless, the guy was in way better shape than I expected. Especially at that age.

Miz would not get any revenge as Shane was moving on to something much bigger. Shane was going to antagonize Roman Reigns. Shane pinned Roman at the Super ShowDown show in Saudi Arabia (home of the infamous Undertaker vs. Goldberg main event) thanks to some Drew McIntyre interference. This was mainly setup for a PPV tag match of Roman and Undertaker vs. Shane and Drew. The faces won and it was the Undertaker’s last “real” match. Otherwise it was a surprise squash appearance in a gauntlet match and his pre-taped bout with AJ Styles at WrestleMania 36.

After the Roman feud, Shane went back to his rivalry with Kevin Owens. This time around, the alignments had switched and it was a more blatant attempt to recreate Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon. So blatant that Owens started delivering Stunners to everyone. Shane fired Owens, who still showed up to raise hell. This culminated in a ladder match where by losing, Shane was fired from the company.

Shane would be gone from WWE for ten months. But he would return in the midst of the pandemic. He would return to introduce one of the most WTF concepts in the company’s history.

But that and the rest of his modern career will have to wait for next time.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I really do wonder what happened with Shane. He occasionally toed the line of 'I'm in charge and I'm amazing so everyone else will see it', but he generally managed in his early days to produce an overbooked entertaining mess (Him vs Andrew "Test" Martin, him vs his father at Wrestlemania 17, him vs Kurt Angle where he managed to walk away from legit landing on his head two or maybe even three times) or be overshadowed by people doing that, except worse (his sister comes to mind). When he came back, it wasn't as good, but he still managed a moment now and then, and since he wasn't a full time wrestler he was still willing to put his neck on the line and fall off cages and whatnot to pop the fans.

I guess it was like cancer. It grew slowly in the dark, but when it emerged, it emerged with a vengeance.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

is there ever going to be funny wwe announcers ever again

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GolfHole posted:

Somebody call Kevin Nash!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

GolfHole posted:

This may be my least favorite part of modern wrestling. I do not care for Michael Cole.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

GolfHole posted:

god it's amazing watching aew and jr and Tony are just joking with each other

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

GolfHole posted:

vince hates announcers that are funny and hates referees that have names

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

if the wwe cared the announce team would be like booker t, r truth, and then a a generic play by play person with charisma (so not michael cole)

aew should put eddie kingston at the announce table if he ever retires from in ring

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
being an announcer is one of the worst jobs you can have on-air because at any given moment vince will scream at you through your head set if you make a mistake or say something he doesn't like which is why mick foley quite announcing and went to TNA for a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

it still blows my mind that people thought vince was a good commentator