Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah Bethesda leaning into the old-timey nostalgia aesthetic while mostly half-assing the scathing social satire of the old Fallouts kind of made that inevitable.

Which is a real shame, since Fallout 1 and 2 get gloriously acidic if you go digging around in the obscure bits of in-game lore trying to piece together a sense of what happened. The pre-war America of OG Fallout was a breathtakingly tyrannical empire that forthrightly decided to blow up the entire world rather than accepting defeat (in a war that it probably started), no less!).

Liberty Prime was a tentative attempt at parody that unfortunately didn't go nearly hard enough; the GamersTM saw pre-war America summed up as a towering nuclear-armed war crime machine and said "hell yeah America #1 woo," and Bethesda just shrugged because sales are sales, no matter how stupid and superficial your customers are. In future games, the writers could put in more satire if they wanted (and they did), but the marketing focus etc. continually drifted more and more towards sincere nostalgia for the pseudo-history hinted at in the Fallout setting. Fast forward some years, and now we have chuds proudly publishing Lore Friendly Whites Only mods and apparently not seeing anything wrong with that. It's not a direct A-to-B causality, but it's close enough to squint at.

Not to be salty or anything, but what happened to the Fallout series is honestly a tragedy.

This is really stretching things beyond belief. There is no Bethesda Fallout that is sincerely Ra Ra America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

CzarChasm posted:

The main NCR contact in the Vegas HQ is a black man IIRC. Not the president, but the guy behind the desk giving missions. I'd look it up, but I don't care that much. I'm weak, It's Dennis Crocker - Ambassador for the NCR.

Also the woman in charge of the Followers of Apocalypse, but that's barely a faction. There are also women in charge of Crimson Caravan, the Implant Clinic, and The Boomers. And, thankfully, a non-white guy in charge of the Khans.

So it's not 0, but it's not a large percentage.

To add to this, and forgive me if my memory is a bit fuzzy here:

Black brother and sister in charge of the Silver Rush (the absolute top tier energy weapons dealers), with the sister being the brains

The unofficial leader of Goodsprings is a woman

Several female rangers or officers in NCR, the prison guard at McCarran and Col. Moore at the dam standing out

I think Cook Cook (raider leader) is black? Add Violet to that as well

Julie Farkas leading the Followers

NCR sergeant that leads the squad of soldiers watching over Searchlight is black

Ulysses, “leader” of The Divide is black

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's a little dangerous to think that WRPG space was a pure accepting place before the Bethesda chuds moved in.

Like, remember the mod that started this subject is specifically protesting Bethesda's "modern political posturing", for having black NPCs in the first place. The modder is almost certain an old rear end grognard, or at least has the tastes of one.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 11, 2023

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

To be fair the wasteland is very cool

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Turns out the guy who put that America died when Obama was elected in his forum signature has some real poo poo ideas!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

mycot posted:

It's a little dangerous to think that WRPG space was a pure accepting place before the Bethesda chuds moved in.

Case in point: RPGcodex is one of the most Bethesda-hating community and our best chance at a carbon neutral future should we develop a way to capture alt-right incel energy.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FishMcCool posted:

Case in point: RPGcodex is one of the most Bethesda-hating community and our best chance at a carbon neutral future should we develop a way to capture alt-right incel energy.

I'm not sure burning those shits like mummies is carbon neutral, but it's my first thought for harnessing their energy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

7c Nickel posted:

This is really stretching things beyond belief. There is no Bethesda Fallout that is sincerely Ra Ra America.

You're absolutely correct, and I apologize for muddling the message a bit - yes, the content of a game and the way it's marketed/received by the general public are two totally different things. The writers have done a great job with the Fallout lore in every game I've played. But the underlying message keeps sailing gracefully over the heads of far too many people, and, because capitalism, it seems extremely unlikely that anyone at Bethesda will ever be stupid enough to intentionally alienate the dumbest 15% or whatever of an extremely profitable customer base by publicly telling them, "no, you're interpreting the game's themes wrong and your politics loving suck."

Thinking about it, I'm not even sure what anyone could do on that front, short of putting "war is bad, capitalism is bad, and pre-war America was made entirely out of war and capitalism" in as a loading screen tip or something similarly hamfisted. And it would just get immediately modded out anyway :v:

On the bright side, the Fallout fandom could be worse. It could be the Warhammer 40k fandom

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Some people are just stupid, and no amount of playing video games and yelling about video games will make them smarter.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah Bethesda leaning into the old-timey nostalgia aesthetic while mostly half-assing the scathing social satire of the old Fallouts kind of made that inevitable.

Which is a real shame, since Fallout 1 and 2 get gloriously acidic if you go digging around in the obscure bits of in-game lore trying to piece together a sense of what happened. The pre-war America of OG Fallout was a breathtakingly tyrannical empire that forthrightly decided to blow up the entire world rather than accepting defeat (in a war that it probably started), no less!).

Liberty Prime was a tentative attempt at parody that unfortunately didn't go nearly hard enough; the GamersTM saw pre-war America summed up as a towering nuclear-armed war crime machine and said "hell yeah America #1 woo," and Bethesda just shrugged because sales are sales, no matter how stupid and superficial your customers are. In future games, the writers could put in more satire if they wanted (and they did), but the marketing focus etc. continually drifted more and more towards sincere nostalgia for the pseudo-history hinted at in the Fallout setting. Fast forward some years, and now we have chuds proudly publishing Lore Friendly Whites Only mods and apparently not seeing anything wrong with that. It's not a direct A-to-B causality, but it's close enough to squint at.

Not to be salty or anything, but what happened to the Fallout series is honestly a tragedy.

what the hell are you talking about? People screamed at bethesda not getting the story because they let you join the institute (closest thing to the enclave since they are all MIT techbros who made their secret society) and you still had to do imperialism. It's not a super subtle story to get unless you are among the wide class of gamers who think consuming videogames is praxis.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mega64 posted:

Some people are just stupid

Big if true.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Byzantine posted:

The Bethesda Fallouts are not half-assed at all in hammering the point that the pre-war USA was a fascist hellhole. They blatantly and repeatedly show the US was throwing its own citizens into concentration camps, opening fire on protestors with the military, performing human experimentation on prisoners, and whatever other horrid actions you can think of. You can find what used to be Boston's Chinatown in Fallout 4 and it was destroyed by a race riot before the nukes dropped. They're honestly more open about how dogshit the pre-war country was than 1 and 2 because they have a greater focus on retrofuturism.

You can't blame Bethesda for the Gamer Reaction. You show fascists all the horrible details of fascism and they'll go 'Gee willikers, that's swell!'...because they're fascists, they like fascism.

Me visiting the Hallucinogen factory in Fallout 4, piecing together the entire tale of late capitalist incompetence - and graft - hearing about how the entire thing is a scam that does the opposite of what it says and thinking "boy, bgs doesn't GET the based critique the real devs made."

7c Nickel posted:

YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND, BGS DOESNT GET FALLOUT LIKE OBSIDIAN DOES!!!

Angry Diplomat posted:

On the bright side, the Fallout fandom could be worse. It could be the Warhammer 40k fandom

Nah at this point the 40k fandom is significantly more chill and accepting than fallout. Todd Howard should have purchased some other franchise and popularized it.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 11, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bethesda's problem is just bad writing, not any failure to understand any specific message in fallout.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they focus on fun gameplay instead. Stealing hubcaps to pimp out your custom gun >>> critique of capital that will just be used in someone's video essay.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sorry I don't have the right kind of brain worms to make a scavenging game with bad shooter mechanics fun in and of itself. It's fine though as the flavor breaking up a well told story.

edit: My preference is also the result of brain worms.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 11, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

User name checks out.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Fallout 4 is bad, I can say this with authority since I have 140 hours in the game

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Fallout 4 is bad, I can say this with authority since I have 500 hours in the game

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I played Fallout 4 for a little bit and enjoyed it okay, but then I decided it would be fun to take a cool-looking rifle I found that was made of pipes and scrap metal and upgrade it as much as I could. I tried that, then at one point in the upgrade process it just morphed into a totally generic factory-made hunting rifle. Bummed me out so bad I never picked the game up again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bethesda is great at making fun worlds encased in garbage games.

I've learned over the years that mods can only do so much to fix a Bethesda game. Maybe I'll finally learn that lesson and never try to mod Skyrim again.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
explain the garbage games part.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There is a lot of garbage in their games.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
isn't that like half of the charm? stuff that would be window dressing in another game is fully interactable.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some of that garbage is skeletons and some of those skeletons have party hats or stuffed animals

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gamers like to just sort of parrot 'Bethesda Bad' on down the line without checking out a lot of the reasons why

Their mainline series games are fairly shallow, a vast but ankle-deep ocean that, at times, feels more like a playground of ideas than a fully realized final product. They're consistently mid, nothing actually bad but just aggressively Alright.

I have a lot of fun just dicking around in them

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 12, 2023

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Nah, elder scrolls melee sucks and their spell selection has only gotten less interesting with each game. FO3 and FO4 just have bad stories, with FO4 being extra bad because they clearly thought the settlement system was a replacement for actual cities. Although it is at least the first time the shooting in the game hasn't felt like complete garbage. The boss fights are always lame because they have nothing mechanically beyond "more health" and the games are all buggy as gently caress, they're mediocre to bad games that are basically saved by a lack of competition and a shitload of modding.

i still have 150+ hours in fo4 because i can load up a bunch of ww2/cold war guns and have a decent enough time for a dozen or so hours e: I'm also a sucker for Sim Settlement god I wish they'd actually made settlements interesting the least bit involved in the base game

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 12, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Did they ever let you build settlements that don't look like poo poo? It has always amused me that the new construction still looks faded and broken - there should be that contrast between the new buildings going up and the old dilapidated ruins of the previous civilization.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There's a mod that lets you use assets from Covenant (a preserved prewar town) in your settlement building.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No, you see, all you can do is scavenge materials and if what you get those materials from is old and broken then anything you build with them will be old and broken too. :eng99:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Did they ever let you build settlements that don't look like poo poo? It has always amused me that the new construction still looks faded and broken - there should be that contrast between the new buildings going up and the old dilapidated ruins of the previous civilization.

People are used to old half-disintegrating buildings. It's what they're comfortable with, and when they build new structures they build them in that style.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
These are the same people who are content living in areas that still have skeletons laying around

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leal posted:

These are the same people who are content living in areas that still have skeletons laying around

Also the same people who don't bother to question whether it should even be possible to eat 200+ year old spam and twinkies off the floor of a random dilapidated shed, much less a good idea.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tankbuster posted:

they focus on fun gameplay instead. Stealing hubcaps to pimp out your custom gun >>> critique of capital that will just be used in someone's video essay.

Shut up

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leal posted:

"Still" have skeletons lying around? There's hundreds of hours labour in procuring all those skeletons, wiring them to stay together, and arranging them artfully. Show some respect for their hard work.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I steal hubcaps in my critique of capital game, Disco Elysium. you can have both, gamers

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

silentsnack posted:

Also the same people who don't bother to question whether it should even be possible to eat 200+ year old spam and twinkies off the floor of a random dilapidated shed, much less a good idea.

The Apocalypse did not preserve the brightest of humanity.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Leal posted:

A big part of the reason I never clicked on with the Bethesda Fallouts was the degree to which the worlds felt like theme park kitsch. In FO 1, 2, and NV people are living in ruins, but there are also attempts and restoration and new construction scattered around. They feel like worlds people are living within and improving, whereas FO 3 and 4 felt more like a surface level aesthetic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the further into the future the series gets, the less sense the aesthetic makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
DC at least was said to have been hit so hard it was only now starting to recover.

I dunno, though, I've never cared about the "what do they eat?!?!"-type questions that apparently kneecap other peoples' enjoyment.