Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Belarus Red Cross says it helped deport Ukrainian children to Belarus

quote:

The head of the Belarusian Red Cross has sparked an international outcry with his announcement that the organization is involved in the relocation of Ukrainian children from Russian-occupied areas to Belarus, a stark admission that potentially could make the group complicit in what Ukraine says is a war crime.

Dzmitry Shautsou, the chief of the Belarusian branch of the Red Cross, said in an interview with a state TV channel Belarus 1 that the organization was bringing Ukrainian children to Belarus for “rehabilitation,” according to a report about the interview by the independent Belsat TV.

“When they accused the Republic of Belarus of kidnapping children who come to us for rehabilitation – frankly speaking, the Belarusian Red Cross has been, and is, and will be actively involved in this,” Shautsou said.

Ukraine has long accused Russia of forcibly deporting Ukrainian children from occupied areas. Some Russian officials have admitted the practice, publicly boasting about their efforts to bring children to Russia, place them in Russian families and, in some cases, give them Russian passports.

But Shautsou’s statement was the first time the Belarus Red Cross has admitted taking part in the deportations. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), the Red Cross umbrella organization, expressed “grave concern” and called for the practice to stop.

Under international agreements, including the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, the deportation of a civilian population is considered a war crime and forcible transfers of children of one group to another group amount to genocide.

It is unclear how many Ukrainian children have been deported to Russia or Belarus since the beginning of the war. Official numbers from the Ukrainian government show that almost 20,000 how been deported or forcibly displaced, and 1,000 are missing, but the government says the numbers could be much higher.

Shautsou described the children as coming to Belarus “to have a rest,” adding: “We try to do everything for them to make them feel at home. So that they would not need anything. And most importantly, they were surrounded by love.”

The Belarus 1 report showed Shautsou visited Russia-occupied areas in eastern Ukraine, including the cities of Severodonetsk and Lysychansk, while wearing military clothes adorned with the letter Z, according to Belsat TV. The letter has become a pro-war symbol of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Shautsou’s trip and admission led to fierce criticism from Ukraine and the international community.

“The extraordinary circumstances of this visit, including the use of a symbol associated with one of the parties to the international armed conflict in Ukraine, implicate the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement,” the IFRC said in a statement, adding that it had referred the case to its independent investigating committee.

“We have contacted the Belarus Red Cross to express our grave concern and to stop any similar activity in the future,” the statement said, adding that “actions by any of our member national Red Cross or Red Crescent Societies in contradiction with our humanitarian mission” are “taken extremely seriously.”

The Ukrainian branch of the Red Cross has called for the IFRC to denounce the Belarus Red Cross’ involvement in the deportations. “We implore them to carefully consider the matter of excluding the Belarus Red Cross from the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement,” the group said in a statement.

Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said that “all those responsible for stealing Ukrainian children must be held to account.”

“I call on the International Criminal Court (ICC) to issue an arrest warrant for Dzmitry Shautsou, who has publicly confessed to the crime of unlawful deportation of children from occupied areas of Ukraine,” he said on Twitter.

The ICC issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Russian Commissioner for Children’s Rights Maria Lvova-Belova for an alleged scheme to deport Ukrainian children to Russia.

The Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko is a close ally of Putin. He has allowed Russian troops to use Belarus as a staging ground for their full-scale invasion of Ukraine Russia launched in February 2022. He has since agreed to have Russia place its tactical nuclear weapons into the territory of Belarus. Most recently, he provided a safe haven for the Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin after the mercenary group’s short-lived mutiny in Russia last month.

A report published by the Belarusian opposition National Anti-Crisis Management Group said there was evidence that Ukrainian children were being forcibly sent to Belarusian camps and health centers. CNN cannot independently verify the claim.

I feel like the guy admitting to it means that he might believe there's a genuinely good reason to be doing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sum posted:

When they first floated firing all the TCC heads and replacing them with injured veterans like, 4 months ago, I literally thought it was Russian disinformation at first. This is shockingly stupid. Without exaggeration this could lose the war in the medium term.

medium term? what is medium term? with ukraines victory right around the corner we dont need to worry about such things

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don't know about "main push" considering the stats we already have on hand, it may be another push though. There are still some reserves.

They had put 3-4 new brigades on the time about 2-3 weeks ago and perhaps they would use the 2 remaining fresh brigades this time around along with some supporting elements.

I’m hoping the “main push” means we finally see those challengers in action

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - The EU has delivered 1.1 billion Euros worth of artillery rounds to Ukraine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al...r-russias-kursk

EU delivers Ukraine 224,000 shells under ammo plan
10 hours ago

The EU has delivered Ukraine 223,800 shells under the first part of a plan to provide a million artillery rounds to aid Kyiv’s fight against Russia, a spokesman said.

“Member states have delivered around 223,800 artillery ammunition – long-range self-propelled, precision-guided ammunitions as well as mortar ammunitions — and 2,300 missiles of all types,” EU spokesman Peter Stano said.

Overall, the total value of the ordnance provided was 1.1 billion euros ($1.2bn), the EU said. EU funds reimbursed only part of that, suggesting the measure fell short of the target.

Earlier this year, the 27-nation European Union pledged to step up supplies of much-needed artillery shells to Ukraine as Kyiv’s forces faced shortfalls.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Pobrecito posted:

Ukr is just moving carefully to get through minefields and burn through the russian artillery. Delay from mines does not last forever.

The slow offensive pierces the minefield.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Almost €5k per shell.what a bargain!

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

KomradeX posted:

Wasn't Sakai an FBI informant or something along those lines?

It wouldn't shock me, I mean, he's an unknown western Maoist, with a do-nothing line, published by weird, well-funded Canadian anarchists, but I don't have any concrete basis to make such a claim. Plenty of children of the suburbs, angsty over identity issues, could have written the same stuff with perfect sincerity.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Western rule of law democracies - The greatest and surest indicator of the vitality of a democracy is a military industrial complex that can be relied upon to impose its will and agenda on the elected representatives of the nation

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’m hoping the “main push” means we finally see those challengers in action

Maybe they will rush in some Leopard 1s in with them if they get a chance.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Miles Blundell posted:

does that mean that god died in 1992

crushed the soviets on their way out as a last gently caress you for eating the apple

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

dk2m posted:

Russia retreated all over the place last year for all sorts of reasons but the one that you’d want to believe is that the sight of your army sent them scattering. I can see how that would be a huge morale booster

now, they’re just sitting there with mile long minefields and the reality of attritional warfare seems to be slowly sinking in. recruitment is gonna get harder but I don’t think it’s hopeless yet. that might happen if the West decides to stop sending aid

It really is doing my brain in that people thought the mass retreat was ever going to be repeated. The retreat was largely and very clearly motivated by Russia's initial underestimation of Ukraine and overestimation of their own capabilities, both causing them to drastically overextend and requiring a retreat once Russia realized their initial approach would not work and they needed to consolidate their forces and dig in for a longer and more attrition-based conflict than they first assumed.

Why the gently caress would anyone think that example would be relevant after months of Russia digging in and executing a painfully slow expansion strategy? "Rapid and massive over-extension requiring retreat if the opposition should go on the offensive" does not describe the current Russian strategy at all.

I swear so much of West vs Russia military history could be described as we never imagined they were capable of adapting.

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

Phigs posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone think that example would be relevant after months of Russia digging in and executing a painfully slow expansion strategy?

How else would Ukraine win?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

I was thinking the missiles would bring the average value up but then remembered it also included mortar bombs which should probably be cheaper.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Phigs posted:

I swear so much of West vs Russia military history could be described as we never imagined they were capable of adapting.

The most fun part is how they keep comparing this war to the Winter War in which the Soviet demonstrated their capacity to change their way after having an arguably bad start.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pomeroy posted:

It wouldn't shock me, I mean, he's an unknown western Maoist, with a do-nothing line, published by weird, well-funded Canadian anarchists, but I don't have any concrete basis to make such a claim. Plenty of children of the suburbs, angsty over identity issues, could have written the same stuff with perfect sincerity.

the claim that J. Sakai was an informant is pure hearsay from people who can’t spell Amerikkka with the Triple K.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dawncloack posted:

is that before or after the zelensky's cash pallet cut

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

fizzy posted:

Good news for Western rule of law democracies - The greatest and surest indicator of the vitality of a democracy is a military industrial complex that can be relied upon to impose its will and agenda on the elected representatives of the nation

thank goodness you’re back

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Good news for Ukraine: fizzy's back

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the claim that J. Sakai was an informant is pure hearsay from people who can’t spell Amerikkka with the Triple K.

As I said, I'm not making that claim. The hypothetical motivations of some anonymous Anarcho-Maoist, who calls the PRC a racist colonizer state, who lumps together all the false and real targets of the War on Terror as a unified "pan-islamic fascism," are something I cannot speak to, and do not care about. I'd probably despise him less as an enemy agent, and not some failed intellectual twisting his brain into knots, trying to rationalize his first world angst and preserve a self-image of a real revolutionary having been failed by the masses.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Late to this but

https://twitter.com/jasondotnews/status/1628377547267313664?t=MqzPfTFSzPFhk4VpSHCyxQ&s=19

Made me think about the discussion on Settlers and labor aristocracy

Imagine spending $3k on Chilis and only $800 on Bojangles. SMDH

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

V. Illych L. posted:

weeb union is actually one of the best channels to follow for regular updates in context on the course of the war. the dude's a danish goon-type creature and his editorialising is not always the best, but he does provide accurate and relatively up-to-date information.

[Ukraine] weeb union is actually one of the best channels to follow

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to track sown those medium.com blog posts about J Sakai being an op/fed and all I found was innuendo and implication

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Good news for Ukraine: the Kyiv Independent has uncovered a Russian plot

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

my favorite wrestler

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Someone post the Red Alert 3 Jim Curry gif

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

WHAT but that territory rightfully belongs to the United States!! That does it I'm all in on Ukraine now

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

evilmiera posted:

I think it's this one :gb2gbs:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Who's Jim Curry? :confused: I've heard of Tim Curry, but not Jim...

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

the guy whos willing to get CTE and shoot himself in the head five years later, that's the guy who gets the inch!

HELL YEAH HELL YEAH

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1690312549223251968

ukranians going for the 3rd time lucky

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Those of you who poo poo on Ukraine's counteroffensive cinematic trailers and anime posters, have you consider these are made by art school hacks whose parents love their children too much and paid $$$ to get them these useless jobs. They have to put put cinematic trailers every month to avoid being sent to the meat grinder.

You are making fun of Ukraine's Shindler's List

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

Belarus Red Cross says it helped deport Ukrainian children to Belarus

I feel like the guy admitting to it means that he might believe there's a genuinely good reason to be doing this

A warzone is a bad place for children to grow up in.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

A warzone is a bad place for children to grow up in.

The Russian forces are to blame for starting the war and turning the area into a warzone.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Horseshoe theory posted:

Who's Jim Curry? :confused: I've heard of Tim Curry, but not Jim...

Jim Curry, the guy who played Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - The sex lives of their valiant war veterans are in focus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66443573

Ukraine war: Sex lives in focus for Ukraine's injured veterans
By Toby Luckhurst
BBC News, Kyiv
14 hours ago

At a modern office in central Kyiv, a 26-year-old Ukrainian veteran is proudly playing a video on his phone that shows him passionately kissing a young woman in a kitchen.

It is an advert for ReSex: a charity that tries to help former soldiers with their sex lives, after suffering physical and mental trauma.

In March last year, invading Russian forces launched a brutal siege of the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, pounding much of it to ruins. Hlib Stryzhko - then a marine - was one of the city's defenders.

A Russian blast knocked him from the third floor of a building to the ground. He was then crushed under rubble.

Hlib's pelvis, jaw and nose was broken, and as well as being badly concussed, he says the heat of the explosion melted his tactical goggles onto his face. He was then captured by Russian forces and taken as a prisoner of war.

The following month, Hlib was released and sent back to Ukrainian territory as part of a prisoner exchange. But he says he received little medical care during his time in captivity.

The BBC first spoke to Hlib just weeks after his release, and later spoke to him during his rehabilitation.

It was while Hlib worked on his recovery that ReSex approached him.

"After my pelvis injury I had problems that took some time to heal. And [the issue of sex] wasn't talked much about, so I wouldn't want that to happen to other people like me," he says.

"That was a motivation to take part in the project."

Ivona Kostyna is one of the founders of Veteran Hub, the group which runs the ReSex project.

She says they first had the idea for the project back in 2018, after reading about the issue for US soldiers.

After securing funding with the start of Russia's full-scale invasion, they spoke to Ukrainian soldiers and experts, to ensure they were tailoring their help specifically to the men and women who need it.

They faced some confusion from the public - and veterans - when they first asked for responses to questions online. "People are dying, you're thinking about sex!" Ivona says.

They also had to confront some of their own preconceptions - like the false assumption that injured veterans would all be struggling with their sex lives.

"There's sex in the hospital, sex at home, sex before procedures, sex after. There's a lot of good sex going on," Ivona says. "We were like, wow, OK, how can we be helpful here?".

But overall, she says, the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

The charity has printed some 6,000 booklets and sent them out to medical centres, veterans and their families all around Ukraine, and made them available online.

ReSex has also launched a social media campaign with videos, graphics and a helpline. The charity covers everything from masturbation to sex toys and even basic biology.

"We try to cover it all," Ivona says, adding that there's also a section of the booklet specifically for young injured veterans who may be virgins.

"So sex after their wound would be their first sex ever, which is quite different from what they might have imagined."

Kateryna Skorokhod, ReSex's project manager, says they published separate guides for women and men to ensure respective partners have specific advice tailored to their experiences and their bodies.

She stresses, though, that the focus of the project is more on the emotional side than the physical.

"It's about how you can accept yourself, how you can love yourself, and how you can build a relationship with yourself and your partner after these injuries - with sex and with intimacy in relationships."

Relying on veterans answering their questionnaire means there are gaps in their research, she says, adding that they've struggled to get any responses from the LGBTQ community.

But they've also learnt a great deal about Ukraine's veterans. Specifically, they realised that traumatic brain injuries are often going undiagnosed and under treated in the country - something she says affects "the libido and the whole sexual performance very much".

The language used to discuss sex is important too, Ivona says.

"It's definitely not a dramatic language. It's definitely not about 'overcoming obstacles' - that's probably good for sport, but it turns out sex is not on the same scale."

She says it's important to make sure veterans know they don't have to have sex unless they want to, and that sex may be difficult or painful at first.

Hlib certainly speaks positively about the project that he's joined. When asked if he's had a girlfriend since his injuries, he laughs.

"After I came back from captivity and the hospital, I had a girlfriend, and then another when I was doing the project questionnaire. And now I have a partner," he says. "I might have missed one."

But he said he was thankful for every person he had dated in the past year.

"Every partner I had was important to me, in gaining my confidence back. I'm very grateful for that."

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Chris Christie strikes again!!!