Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BaconCopter posted:

drat you and your PoBB posting! By that I mean every time you post about it I go look on ebay for deals and just impulse bought a complete used one off of eBay for MSRP. I'm drat excited for it!

Right on. I hope you love it as much as so many others have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mutata posted:

Don't, like, most languages gender everything?

Most Indo-European languages, and some languages on the periphery of Indo-European-speaking areas, but it's not common outside of that sphere.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Waltzing Along posted:

After building the new Eldorado I decided I wanted to rebuild PoBB. I had to remove NC Markets, which was...fun? I always rebag my sets in # order. So going backwards over 6000+ pieces was a lot.

OTOH, going back to PoBB has been great. It's so nice to be able to pull out a set, find the bag number, pour it out and go.

Here is a mini-review of bag 1 of PoBB:

I generally really enjoy the early bags of big sets. Especially for a set like this where you are building up the base from scratch. And this one shines in that the beach/water are relaxing colors and are interesting shapes. There are a couple of crabs and, iirc, resting points for part of the frigate. Towards the end of the bag are two palm trees using the newer leaves and technic parts for the trunk. And then at the end is a Tiki-type statue that is set in the sand at an angle. An homage to the Islanders sets from the 90s.

All in all, a very satisfying bag 1.

I have these two sets next to each other and PoBB is so massive and detailed I absolutely love it

Eldorado does hold a special place in my heart for the nostalgia factor though (my cousins had that set and one of the castle sets with the giant green baseplate and a spooky glow in the dark ghost)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mutata posted:

We just moved into a new place with more space, so I'll soon be able to build this thing again..

Sad we never kept boxes as a kid (small flat, no space). Came home one day from school for that kit to just be waiting for me out of the blue, played with it every day for like a year straight. Would use the parts in all my MOCs.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Do you POBB owners tend to have it hideout or ship form?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Ship for me, but mostly for reasons of space rather than aesthetics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I still think that new batmobile is wildly over priced but it is very good. I feel like a bit of a chump cause the end result is so similar to the GWP one I got a few years ago. Can't believe the new one is $20 msrp more. Lego is really going stupid on prices lately.

But it does fix pretty much every issue I had with the older one. The tail fins actually look right now instead of the clunky looking big ugly pieces they used. and the intakes on the side look so much better than those buckets I wish they would just stop using for everything that isn't a bucket. And most importantly the new windscreen piece is so, so much better. All around just about the best burton Batmobile you could probably build in minifig scale. My only gripe is the parts on the wheels sticking out so far and the gear that sticks out for the guns, but I think the gear is worth it for the gun feature. 9/10 set. 2/10 pricing.

Nothing compares to the big boy but I do love the batmobiles they have been doing lately. Looking forward to grabbing the batwing when I'm in the mood. I think the price on that one makes much more sense.

internally the build is very different though and very enjoyable. it's actually built alot like a scaled down version of the big one.

Edit: Also very clever that when retracted, the guns serve as an angled pipe that is actually movie accurate which makes them blend in seamlessly when not in use. great part usage on the designers part.

It is great that they didn't gate the new one behind the huge batcave set and people can actually get it without spending hundreds of dollars. it's weird that the two are slightly different.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 11, 2023

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Junkenstein posted:

Ship! Book Shop just came today so I'm going to use the leftover land pieces to build this, as posted upthread:

Police Station also came today... excited to turn that into a bookshop! :hai:

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Right on. I hope you love it as much as so many others have.

It is almost criminal that the set was in production for so short a time. I think they should have marketed it more as the ship, I think if more people knew then they would have bought it in real time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What would you guys recommend for selling large lots of loose Lego? I think I'm just going to get rid of my extra parts for MOCs. It's like half a closet full of partially sorted parts. I just don't build enough anymore to warrant taking up this much space. price per pound? Craigslist? Facebook? Just gonna sell locally cause it's probably well over 100lbs.

Anyone around denver want to buy a ton of loose Lego? Most of it is new or in pristine condition.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Junkenstein posted:

Ship all the way. Gotta be honest I dunno why everyone loves the hideout so much; it's nice enough but breaks the ship's silhouette too much and imo ends up looking a lot messier. A perfectly fine set but hardly one of the best.

The ship on the other hand is basically unparalleled.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Forgot to mention bag 1 had a frog.

Bag 2 is fairly small. It's mainly the dock platform and the start of the frigate. It's interesting that the build goes into the ship so fast.

I prefer the island build. The boat is fine but it pales compared to the Sea Cow of the Imperial Flagship. But as a ship that broke apart and was repurposed into a settlement it's fantastic.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The flagship looks pretty dated at this point. Sea cow’s an interesting comparison though; i never had it so i don’t know how it stacks up once you get into it, but i can’t say it doesn’t look like a good set.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are you talking about the original Imperial Flagship or the newer one? Because "dated" is a hell of a take for that one.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The one from ~2010? Its still a great set but i definitely don’t think it holds up to the PoBB ship.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barracuda bay is a cool set but I don't regret not buying it. Pirates are neat but I guess I was more of a Castle and Space kid. The one I do regret not buying is Destiny's Bounty. I think thats the best ship they have done barring like, the Titanic.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Pretty ridiculous sealed collection for sale locally:

https://imgur.com/a/Q6dcXB5

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-jMCcJ3W2LjopKnjcWVjKD1SSJkvlNf1iE919Onh-Ug/edit#gid=0

**Castle**
6057 Sea Serpent $300
6075 Wolfpack tower $800
6081 King’s Mountain $2000
6075 (Yellow) Castle $5000
6060 Knights Challenge $600
**Space**
6781 SP-Striker $850
6990 Futuron Monorail $3500
497 Galaxy explorer $2000
6987 Message Intercept base $1900
**Pirates**
6265 Sabre Island $425
SOLD 6286 Skull’s eye schooner $2200
6255 Pirate Comic $700
6277 Imperial trading post $2000
**Town**
6375 Trans Air Carrier $325
6360 Weekend Cottage $350
4558 Metroliner $800
6399 Airport shuttle $4000
**Nautica**
6540 Pier Police $450
6541 Intercoastal Seaport $700
6542 Launch and Load Seaport $1600
6679 Dark Shark $100
**Paradisa**
6411 Sand dollar cafe $275
6416 Poolside paradise $500
6419 Rolling acres ranch $275
**Technic**
8828 Technic Front End Loader $70

Anything really worth it? $3500 Monorail whew

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dogen posted:

I’m gonna save some money and get the Lepin the Ccnccrde

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Type_223

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

It is great that they didn't gate the new one behind the huge batcave set and people can actually get it without spending hundreds of dollars. it's weird that the two are slightly different.
The Batcave one has different intakes and wheels because it needed to be narrower overall to fit through the door of the cave. It's also part of a set aimed at a higher age bracket, so they could get a liiiiittle more tricky technique-wise and angle the wings a bit, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bag 3 of PoBB is nice. It's mainly the living quarters of the midsection of the ship. The highlight is the ladders on the sides which are a very clever build.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/kamipapa_ro/status/1689993113333350400?s=20

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Man now I want sushi

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lego? No! Maguro. (i know that isn't exactly what it says.)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Wow.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

veni veni veni posted:

What would you guys recommend for selling large lots of loose Lego? I think I'm just going to get rid of my extra parts for MOCs. It's like half a closet full of partially sorted parts. I just don't build enough anymore to warrant taking up this much space. price per pound? Craigslist? Facebook? Just gonna sell locally cause it's probably well over 100lbs.

Anyone around denver want to buy a ton of loose Lego? Most of it is new or in pristine condition.

I've had good luck buying used bulk Lego from both CL and Marketplace so either/both is worth a shot, although that's a pretty huge lot. Most I've ever bought was 60lbs and he had listed it as 50. I'm also visiting Denver right now but I don't think I can lug 100lbs back on the plane with me.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I haven’t tried the ship build yet but I love how alive PoBB looks as the island build and how you can see the insides more. Also I keep adding period or beach accurate mini figures like the surfer or castaway dude to it and it’s getting rather crowded.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

EEKA GEEK posted:

Ship! Book Shop just came today so I'm going to use the leftover land pieces to build this, as posted upthread:

All Cops Are Buccaneers?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bag 4. Not much to say as it was fairly straightforward. The steps on one end of the deck were okay, though.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Zwille posted:

I haven’t tried the ship build yet but I love how alive PoBB looks as the island build and how you can see the insides more. Also I keep adding period or beach accurate mini figures like the surfer or castaway dude to it and it’s getting rather crowded.

Yeah, I feel like you lose so much of the detail in ship mode. I had an Ancient Warrior from minifig series 21 attacking my settlement until I had to pack up to move house. Still need to start the rebuild…

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Zwille posted:

Mines got StarWars bounty hunters with boba on fishing line so it looks like he’s flying, Chewbacca in the cage, Han in carbonite hanging from the “crane” rope. Hidden away is Grogu hunting a frog and the skeleton with a rebel pilot helmet.

Oh and a hot dog vendor in the galley

https://imgur.com/a/WQXU3uG

Bossk on the stairs, Dengar drinking near the bar, Greedo climbing the mast, 4-Lom in the crows nest, IG-88 in the row boat and Vader chilling with the Emperor up on the main deck

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 12, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

EEKA GEEK posted:

I like the crashed ship build of PoBB a lot, but every time I see this, I feel things. And the bookstore is retiring this year iirc... not much time left to get it if I wanted to do this. Hnnnng.

my beef with PoBB is that it's not very easy to peer/play inside it (compared to new Eldorado at least, the modularity of that rules) but I guess that applies to it in ship form too?

also the ship is quite big, looks a bit out of scale with the city/eldorado/Nassau island, the 3in1 creator pirate ship seems more to scale... uff, decisions...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 12, 2023

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
li'l Dreamzzz figs are great.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

You can SAVE BIG on the new Concorde model if you just grab the old one.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This blog says the numbers printed on the blind boxes might let you determine the contents.
https://www.thebrickfan.com/possible-way-of-figuring-out-lego-marvel-studios-collectible-minifigures-series-2-71039-characters/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

You can SAVE BIG on the new Concorde model if you just grab the old one.

lol

One of the partial sets I inherited way back when was the 687 Caravelle, which has nothing to do with the Super Caravelle Concorde precursor.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Lego XB-70 when

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bag 5 was quite a lot of fun. It's decorating the top deck and building the main mast and attaching the sails. The sails are a bit finicky to set up, though. One must roll then and then use a string to wind around and attach with clips. The sails don't want to be rolled and are easy to crease if you apply too much pressure. Once that is all done, the middle of the frigate is attached to the dock from the early steps with technic pins.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm very happy to share some progress on my sub project. I have been putting it off because I'm not sure how to take what I have in Stud.io and actually MAKE the front end. I have 2000 mostly flat pieces and they're all black and well it seemed overwhelming.

Today I sat down and tried to figure out how to do it. First step was making one panel for the front of the dome. The other panels will be 1/2 panels that "flare" out to meet the hull. This is again, all theoretical.

I ended up having two copies of the panel open, one upside down and one that I would build right side up. Each layer is a sub model so I would go a layer at a time, making the layer I was working on white so it was easier to see on the screen. After I built the layer right side up, and had that layer on the correct version on screen, I would delete the upside down layer and start again with the next layer "up". If this sounds confusing, it was. At any rate, I finished the first panel fairly easily. There are a couple of steps where it is not stable, but it ends up very solid. Putting the 4 side panels is going to be tricky and I imagine it will be very easy to crush, but I'm going for MILSPEC and not some billionaire in a carbon fiber can, so we will see.

Anyway I'm very excited so here are 2 pictures.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That’s a stunning rendition of the OceanGate pressure hull in the bin on the right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I use avatars and but user names and didn't know it was you, lmao what slap fight made these Hillatars?