Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

THAT BEING SAID all of my kids were sleeping through the night by 8 weeks

my deepest gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

THAT BEING SAID all of my kids were sleeping through the night by 8 weeks,

ours was a big weird weirdo that was also doing this at 6 weeks. I feel like there’s some cursed monkey paw somewhere that answered our prayers and we’re gonna pay for it down the line here somewhere.

a parenting crime is telling any parent with a kid under 1 the above.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my youngest was born at 99.7 percentile weight which is to say his mother pushed out with no epidural a baby that out of 1000 was the third or fourth heaviest and he slept thru the night almost immediately

he was a big baby lol

he’s absolutely normal sized now. he asked me today if he has adhd coz I do. I said I see some similarities but also differences. I hope he’s more “normal” than me

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ours went through a phase of sleeping until 7-7.30am every night and it was amazing but now it's 6am every day which sucks

she sleeps all the way through though unless she gets cold or occasionally wakes up from a bad dream

so go gently caress myself I guess?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my 3 month old woke up at 9 am this morning after just a single wake up during the night for some breastfeeding :smug:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im sure god has a plan for my demise through my child soon enough though

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

daughter is perma attached to my wife so if she's up so is daughter. 430am? yeah gently caress it why not. it's like a light switch she detects someone is up she's instantly awake. total craziness and can't wait for when I have to crowbar her out of bed when she's a teenager. she's always been a pain to put down but getting her up is super easy at least

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

ours was a big weird weirdo that was also doing this at 6 weeks. I feel like there’s some cursed monkey paw somewhere that answered our prayers and we’re gonna pay for it down the line here somewhere.

a parenting crime is telling any parent with a kid under 1 the above.

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but my wife used the book “12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old” as the basis for sleep training for all of our kids, and it basically boils down to the kids nursing schedule being realigned so that they get enough food to not wake up at night

her sister used the same book for her kids, but had much larger boys over our puny girls and it took something like 16 or 18 weeks for them to sleep through the night cuz they could pound milk down like champions and eventually needed formula to supplement at night

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

echinopsis posted:

I hope he’s more “normal” than me

Very same :smith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:hf:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

at a family gathering today and I see my son being just as shy and idk ... socially cautious? as I was. oh man here we go

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how old is he

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fell asleep on the sofa, woke up and there was faeces everywhere.

I can never sleep without fear again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This isn't the goutse.cx thread for getting too old

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I just went to brush with my foot what I thought was a small piece of dirt to the side in the bathroom before I sat down at the toilet.

It wasn’t dirt.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 13, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am so glad I have passed thru the turd terrain

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

how old is he

turning 5 next month

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hopefully starting school can break down some barriers

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

imo, once you’ve cleared the bar of them being able to wipe their own asses and put on their own seatbelts it’s significantly easier from a physically exhausting point of view
this is such an incredible hurdle to get over

also: having them do chores for you fuckin rules

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
"can you go get me x? It's by the y in the z" being a sentence they can act on is life changing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

big black turnout posted:

"can you go get me x? It's by the y in the z" being a sentence they can act on is life changing

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Hell yes I love my little helpers

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Wait, this question doesn't usually result in an Inquisition about why/why now and then the inevitable "I don't see it."?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jeebus bob posted:

Hell yes I love my little helpers
We just put some ikea furniture together last WE and it was just a fun activity. poo poo rules.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MrQueasy posted:

Wait, this question doesn't usually result in an Inquisition about why/why now and then the inevitable "I don't see it."?

Is your answer not "Because Stone Cold I said so" and if not, why?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Volmarias posted:

Is your answer not "Because Stone Cold I said so" and if not, why?

that answer just makes tweens upset

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MrQueasy posted:

that answer just makes tweens upset

Good?

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Elinor Wonders Why is now on constant rotation in our house; I have no problem with this except that we’re all fixated on “how does the little bat child’s t-shirt possibly work with his wings?!”

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Helping a friend setup accounts for their kids' anroid phones.
Lol Google's parental control stuff is pure dogshit (undoubtedly intentionally, but also some of this stuff feels designed by people who don't have kids). For starters the setup process asks if you want Google to track the kid's activities for advertising and marketing. It's not needed for any features to work, its just for ads. Also, when the kid turns 13 they are removed from the parental controls. Now I am not saying its good to spy on everything your child does till they turn 18. But I also don't think they should have unfettered access to all the weirdo and fascist poo poo on YouTube just because they turned 13 either.

---

Separately, my child and all their friends/classmates are now at the age (elementary school) where they don't know their own strength but it's not negligible either. You have to teach them how to be gentle with certain things . They love to just slam things with full strength. Opening/closing doors/drawers/cabinets. Turning on/off water faucets. Putting down plates. It doesn't surprise me that a quarter of the exhibits at the local children's museum are always broken. If there is a button, kids will absolutely slam the poo poo out of it. I'm sure a third grader could cause a new Joycon to drift like crazy in about 5 minutes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pulcinella posted:

Helping a friend setup accounts for their kids' anroid phones.
Lol Google's parental control stuff is pure dogshit (undoubtedly intentionally, but also some of this stuff feels designed by people who don't have kids). For starters the setup process asks if you want Google to track the kid's activities for advertising and marketing. It's not needed for any features to work, its just for ads. Also, when the kid turns 13 they are removed from the parental controls. Now I am not saying its good to spy on everything your child does till they turn 18. But I also don't think they should have unfettered access to all the weirdo and fascist poo poo on YouTube just because they turned 13 either.

---

Separately, my child and all their friends/classmates are now at the age (elementary school) where they don't know their own strength but it's not negligible either. You have to teach them how to be gentle with certain things . They love to just slam things with full strength. Opening/closing doors/drawers/cabinets. Turning on/off water faucets. Putting down plates. It doesn't surprise me that a quarter of the exhibits at the local children's museum are always broken. If there is a button, kids will absolutely slam the poo poo out of it. I'm sure a third grader could cause a new Joycon to drift like crazy in about 5 minutes.

There's a lot that sucks about it. It doesn't have the concept of blended households; my kids have either me as the primary for the family group, or their mother, but there's no way to say "it is ok for this other person to also be considered a parent." This is painful when the setup flow for new hardware requires a parent to verify that it's ok. A parent who lives an hour away. And who maybe does not want to have to give their ex wife their Google account credentials.

Extremely frustrating because they HAVE app based authentication that goes to my phone when they want to install something. It works! It actually works great! But there's no way to have it do that for other flows.

The workaround was, of course, to change my password, give her the changed password, then change it again (but not to the old password!!!! that's been used too recently!!! oh yeah 0ldP@ssw0rd1 is fine, it just can't be 0ldP@ssw0rd.) which is only an acceptable use case because I trust my ex wife enough to not abuse that. This is clearly not going to be the case for other situations, where ultimately the two solutions will be "bring the hardware with you next time you see other parent" and "create a duplicate Google account that only gets used for things for the other parent." This cannot go wrong, especially as one device can have multiple accounts added. And then, this doesn't even get into cases of step families, etc.

Just an utterly frustrating lack of functionality that, at best, has its basis in a "this is why we can't have nice things" security model of people spying on other people via family accounts. Realistically, it's because they decided that this is Good Enough, and children of divorce can just eat even more poo poo because it's not the use case for anyone with the power to change it.

I am mad about this!!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does apple have this? afaik it doesn’t, my kids are part of my family on icloud and not their mother in any way

also, one son a) lost his phone and b) forgot his icloud password so we made a new account, that’s fine, but because the old account is a child’s account it can’t actually be removed from
my “family”, only transferred to another one

what if your child dies? just forced to look at their face until they would have turned 18

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
one of the twins wanted to remove the training wheels off his bike.

“here’s the wrenches, try and figure it out and I’ll help you if you get stuck.”

now to get him to a parking lot to practice, the kids school is only a mile away.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

devmd01 posted:

“here’s the wrenches, try and figure it out and I’ll help you if you get stuck.”

now to get him to a parking lot to practice, the kids school is only a mile away.

Meanwhile, if I tried that with my kids, they would decide that perhaps bicycles are just too much trouble?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Volmarias posted:

Meanwhile, if I tried that with my kids, they would decide that perhaps bicycles are just too much trouble?
bean dad? bikie dad.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
nah, no beans here. the difference is that bean dad was an rear end in a top hat about it and belittled his daughter, let alone barely helped her. One of the things I am trying to impart on my children is an attitude to just try and figure something out yourself first if you can.

sure, at six, their capabilities for that are limited, but this particular twin is a goddamn carbon copy of me to a scary degree; this is exactly what he needs for his brain.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Volmarias posted:

There's a lot that sucks about it. It doesn't have the concept of blended households; my kids have either me as the primary for the family group, or their mother, but there's no way to say "it is ok for this other person to also be considered a parent." This is painful when the setup flow for new hardware requires a parent to verify that it's ok. A parent who lives an hour away. And who maybe does not want to have to give their ex wife their Google account credentials.
Yeah none of this works well for families that are blended, divorced, etc. A similar situation is why the friend asked for help in the first place.

Volmarias posted:

Just an utterly frustrating lack of functionality that, at best, has its basis in a "this is why we can't have nice things" security model of people spying on other people via family accounts.Realistically, it's because they decided that this is Good Enough, and children of divorce can just eat even more poo poo because it's not the use case for anyone with the power to change it.

I am mad about this!!!!
Which is funny because the reviews section for the Google Family Link app is just filled with fake scammer reviews about how its a 5 star app for catching your cheating spouse. Just email "obviously.scam (at) 420ghk.biz" and he will show you how. (Also loads of 1 stars from kids :qq: that they cant download AssetFlip.io)

echinopsis posted:

does apple have this? afaik it doesn’t, my kids are part of my family on icloud and not their mother in any way
There are child iCloud accounts that can have restrictions (they go in a iCloud family, but you can have accounts in a family that are not child accounts). Apple's version isn't that much better, except its Apple so the setup is very slightly smoother and it doesn't just blatantly ask if they can track everything your kid does for ad purposes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i'm guessing he's making a joke, but yeah the difference is that bean dad was "you won't eat until you figure it out" whereas you are "try it first and i'll help you later if you can't get it"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

first day trip was a success! hour and a half car ride without any issue, play play play, used the potty there(!), and an hour and a half car ride back.

"what part of the beach trip was your favorite?" "All of the parts!"

of course he only napped about 20 minutes on the ride home and has been an impulsive mess this evening. can really tell that executive function is one of the first things to go when a toddler brain gets tired.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

FYI those are super unhelpful so it's good they're gone.

The right way to tech a kid how to bike is to remove the pedals/cranks off a bike that's sized correctly, then let them shuffle and figure out their balance *first*.
Then add pedals back in when they get tired of balance-biking.

Both our kids learned how to pedal-bike that way before they turned 3, in one case right after they turned 2.

Volmarias posted:

In the nicest way possible, they're not bored enough.

Kid#1 decided they wanted to ride to school with their friend so we've been practicing that (going great). Of course kid#2 saw this and decided "I can do this too, AHBVIOUSLY". Their average speed is like 12kph and the school run is now taking forever.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Eeyo posted:

i'm guessing he's making a joke, but yeah the difference is that bean dad was "you won't eat until you figure it out" whereas you are "try it first and i'll help you later if you can't get it"
sorry yes only a joke. besides, bean dad was a little overblown to say the least