Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

I saw a Kennedy sign in my block, lol

They have autism awareness stickers on their cars, and I think that's why :(

Look, he was awkward but I don't think he was *that* bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nash posted:

Interesting. I had always heard the general trend was the money making counties were the northern ones and most southern counties took way more state money than they put in overall.

https://news.siu.edu/2018/08/081018-research-shows-state-funding-disparities-benefit-downstate.php

From a few years back but what I was referring too.

Oh they do on the whole just because there’s so many more people in those collar counties to pay taxes and there’s a lot more poverty and a lot more roads per capita south of I-80. It’s just this specific tax is what they tend to point to as an example of getting screwed out of money they used to get before 2011.

Jows
May 8, 2002

rachel ray romano posted:

Look, he was awkward but I don't think he was *that* bad.

I think he means RFK Jr.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://chicago.suntimes.com/electi...cked-republican

Bailey is running for Congress now. I don’t think he has a chance against Bost either. I assume he just gets off on losing.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If Dick Uline wants to waste more money on Bailey that's great.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

He is “rich man with nothing else to do”. Next, he will run for Senate and then he will run for President. After that, he will hopefully have some made up offices to run for.

Also, Bost already has an oppo file online for him but many of these may actually be something that people down here support.

https://t.co/BzurHhQ9Vm

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Illinois Supreme Court has decided that you can be compelled to provide a password. This is... uh... not a good thing.

Different states and federal court districts have come up with very different rulings on this, so it's sure to end up in front of the US Supreme Court sooner or later. Which given that court's recent history is... uh... not a good thing.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Powered Descent posted:

The Illinois Supreme Court has decided that you can be compelled to provide a password. This is... uh... not a good thing.

Different states and federal court districts have come up with very different rulings on this, so it's sure to end up in front of the US Supreme Court sooner or later. Which given that court's recent history is... uh... not a good thing.

My, uh, internet habits are, uh, my own.

I wish I had something useful to type here but I really don't.

This is bad, I think.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think it's cute the court doesn't see the phone as an extension of the self.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Really hoping we see a cyborg argument.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jesus christ; CPD is (internally) investigating sexual assault of migrants staying at police stations. A lot of migrants had said they'd felt safer in the police outposts than in some of the shelters, although they were sleeping on the floors in corners.

CPD investigating claims of at least one officer having sexual relations with migrants housed in West Side police station

quote:

The Chicago Police Department acknowledged an internal investigation Thursday into allegations that an officer or officers assigned to a West Side patrol district engaged in sexual relations with migrants who were living in a police station.

The department said in an email late Thursday that the bureau of internal affairs, as well as the Civilian Office of Police Accountability, had opened an investigation, but a department spokesperson did not address questions about when the investigation began or if any officers were stripped of their police powers.

The Police Department said the allegations concern an officer or officers assigned to the Ogden District, which covers the Little Village and Lawndale neighborhoods on the West Side.

Few details were available late Thursday about the scope of the investigation. Also a focus was whether some of the migrants allegedly involved in the matter were minors, sources with knowledge of the internal review said.

Follow-up story:

COPA acknowledges complaint against Chicago police officers for alleged sex with migrant housed at station

quote:

For months, migrants bused to Chicago from Texas have found themselves housed in Chicago police stations in difficult circumstances, leaving city and state leaders stunned Friday by allegations that officers at one of the police facilities may have had sexual contact with at least one of those seeking shelter there.

A complaint submitted Thursday to the Civilian Office of Police Accountability spurred an internal Chicago Police Department investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct by at least one officer involving a migrant housed at a West Side police station.

Mayor Brandon Johnson’s office issued a statement calling the situation “deeply troubling.”

“New arrivals are being moved to temporary shelters in current operation, with full relocation to be completed by tomorrow morning,” a statement from the administration read.

Also a focus was whether some of the migrants allegedly involved in the matter were minors, sources with knowledge of the internal review said. A CPD spokesperson did not address questions about when the investigation began or if any officers were stripped of their police powers.

The Johnson administration confirmed that aspect of the case late Friday.

“The Johnson administration remains intensely focused on the deeply troubling allegations of sexual misconduct by a Chicago Police Department officer against a minor new arrival, and other allegations of sexual misconduct in the Chicago Police Department’s 10th District,” the statement read. “While this incident is under investigation by the CPD Bureau of Internal Affairs and the Civilian Office of Police Accountability, the City is committed to providing mental health support and resources to all those in need.”

Asked about the investigation at an unrelated news conference in Springfield on Friday, Gov. J.B. Pritzker said it would be “horrific” if the allegations are proven to be true.

He also noted that more migrants have been removed from police stations, “where they’ve been taking good care of those migrants,” and being put into more permanent shelter or housing.

“In fact, what we’re trying to do is make sure that people get rental assistance so they can go have a real apartment to live in, especially families,” Pritzker said. “It’s a terrible thing and I hope there’s a full investigation as fast as possible, and if there is wrongdoing they ought to be held accountable immediately.”

As part of the $50.4 billion budget for the new fiscal year, Pritzker and his Democratic allies in the Illinois General Assembly set aside $42.5 million to aid migrants throughout the state.

The plight of migrants in the city has been a focus of the new administration of Johnson. Largely from Central America and Venezuela, the migrants have been bused to Chicago and other major U.S. cities from Texas.

In the meantime, the city has struggled to find adequate housing for them. Since April, CPD’s 22 district stations — along with several other city-owned or otherwise unused buildings — have become temporary homes for hundreds of migrants, sometimes drawing the ire of local residents.

Many of those migrants have found themselves seeking shelter in Chicago police stations, as information about the conditions at city shelters has circulated. City officials this week said more than 5,000 migrants are currently being housed in city shelters and nearly 800 were awaiting placement at police stations.

The three Ogden District councilors issued a statement Friday, saying that “if these allegations are substantiated, we will pursue appropriate disciplinary and legal actions against the officers involved.”

On Friday, migrants staying at the Ogden station said they first learned of the allegations when they saw television news cameras.

“The officers don’t even speak to us,” said David Hernandez.

Karla Urbina, a migrant from Nicaragua, spent more than a month staying in a Chicago police station. She said that the abuse and shame from officers was constant.

“Many have no respect for us, they see us as objects,” said the mother, who is not staying at a shelter but has joined forces with volunteers to help other asylum-seekers who are currently arriving.

Some officers treat not only women, but all migrants badly, she said, calling them names, giving looks and violating the little privacy that they may have.

Most will not report any abuse even if it’s sexual because they fear that they’ll be kicked out of the stations or shelter, she said.

“We can’t afford to do that,” Urbina said.

Kiisha Smith, one of the 10th Police District Council members, confirmed the mayor’s office already met one of their demands by calling for the removal of all migrants from the 10th District police station by 4 p.m. Friday. Their next destination was not confirmed.

“If any of the allegations are found to be true and fact we will take charge and attempt to hold them accountable for their actions, most definitely,” Smith said.

Ald. Monique Scott, who represents the 24th Ward, which includes the 10th District police station, said residents should wait for the investigation to resolve.

”Right now, they are just accusations. So my heart goes out to the people that are involved and the officers because we don’t know the validity of the truth right now, correct?” she said on a phone call with the Tribune Friday night. “I would encourage anybody in my ward to sit back and wait and don’t jump to conclusions, don’t jump on a side, wait for the results and wait to see what the investigation turns out to be.”

At least the city & state are moving on getting migrants into permanent housing, and out of the pig pens in the short term.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
https://twitter.com/realBlagojevich/status/1680634630070829058

Christlike.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

What is this bastard even doing with himself, these days?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Bad King posted:

What is this bastard even doing with himself, these days?

Getting ready to run again

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

HootTheOwl posted:

Getting ready to run again

no. no no no. no. stop saying this, why do you set us up for this. stop making GBS threads on our reality. this is loving intolerable.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Literally running that is, as he often does through Ravenswood Manor. I believe he is barred from holding office in the state.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Bad King posted:

no. no no no. no. stop saying this, why do you set us up for this. stop making GBS threads on our reality. this is loving intolerable.

I'm back!
-40-

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Clouseau posted:

Literally running that is, as he often does through Ravenswood Manor. I believe he is barred from holding office in the state.

Can confirm. I have a friend who has seen him running somewhere in that area a few times. It’s no joke, and if he sees you looking at him he’ll smile and wave. He’s a loving narcissist who thrives off attention and feels no shame.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Can confirm. I have a friend who has seen him running somewhere in that area a few times. It’s no joke, and if he sees you looking at him he’ll smile and wave. He’s a loving narcissist who thrives off attention and feels no shame.

I know of a newly minted internet celebrity who's really good at throwing water balloons at public figures and getting the shot on the first try...

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
Blago was good, actually.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

rachel ray romano posted:

Blago was good, actually.

Yeah, good at . . . DOING CRIMES!

. . . although he got caught AND did time for it so maybe he's bad at them? :thunk:

Now that I'm thinking about it, did he come from money or something? I'm assuming his neighborhood is nicer than mine but he also went to prison for awhile (I hear the pay sucks there) AND I'm sure nobody is champing at the bit to hire him after that so . . . how does THAT work?

I'm legit curious now, but I am also sure that the answer will depress me

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
He married into an extremely clouted Chicago politics family (the Mells). Idk about his money before that.

They all live in the very nice Ravenswood Manor neighborhood on the northside.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
His dad was an immigrant from Yugoslavia who worked in a steel plant. Basically the entire motive established in Rod's trials revolved around his frustration of having to survive on his salary as governor (~$170k) while all his hangers-on got rich on lobbying work.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1681318176704073729?s=20

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

This is amazing. You love to see it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm glad the IL supreme court is immensely better than the US supreme court.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
One would thing this would be a popular position since jail so much more expensive than electronic monitoring.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It goes fully into effect 2 months from today to give departments and prosecutors time to…so something…I do not know.

But the IL SC slapped that poo poo down and rightfully so.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
OH MAN THIS MEANS COPS CANT ARREST PEOPLE ANYMORE AND CAN ONLY ASK THEM TO STOP . THEY COULD BE BURNIN DOWN YOUR BARN AND THE COPS COULDNT DO NOTHIN

-people in south central Illinois

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1682484516185669632

Lol good luck with that suburban primary

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

I dunno what's in this guy's heart, but a radio host who just ran for congress in Virginia a few years ago *seems* like a bit of a grifter.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gone, what'd it say

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oracle posted:

Gone, what'd it say

Somehow I see it as text in Awful App:

“Read this thread. It’s exactly why I’m not wasting my time & money watching the Oppenheimer film. We don’t need another white washing of genocide committed by our government. We need reparations and accountability.

Now the movie she’s pitching below—that I would watch. https://t.co/Ky2pcZYOmQ

— Qasim Rashid, Esq. (@QasimRashid) July 21, 2023”

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Somehow I see it as text in Awful App:

“Read this thread. It’s exactly why I’m not wasting my time & money watching the Oppenheimer film. We don’t need another white washing of genocide committed by our government. We need reparations and accountability.

Now the movie she’s pitching below—that I would watch. https://t.co/Ky2pcZYOmQ

— Qasim Rashid, Esq. (@QasimRashid) July 21, 2023”

I mean, Oppenheimer was all for giving the land back to the tribes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lammasu posted:

I mean, Oppenheimer was all for giving the land back to the tribes.

Do you think that matters to them?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It's always easier to criticize people from 70 years ago thousands of miles away.

Will Rashid commit to getting the Sac and Fox Stone of their land back?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The only way I can see anyone thinking Oppenheimer would be a raw raw Military Industrial Complex movie is if they have been in a 25-year coma and have no idea who Christopher Nolan is.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Lammasu posted:

The only way I can see anyone thinking Oppenheimer would be a raw raw Military Industrial Complex movie is if they have been in a 25-year coma and have no idea who Christopher Nolan is.

I mean, considering the Nolan Batman movies...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Military bad.
Cops good.
Christopher Nolan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

Just read that our large Gov gave into the Sierra Club and vetoed the new nuke moratorium recession. Even though there aren't any new nuke plans in Illinois right now it would be nice to be able to at least reasonably consider new plants. Illinois has been the country's nuke leader since forever, keeping that local experience is critical for any potential future plans.