Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait people don’t like Course: Oblivion? It’s one of the few Voyagers I genuinely love because it’s so bleak.

I'm with you, it's probably in my top 10 in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I got high as a loving kite last night and watched "Jihad", the first episode of TAS because my regional Netflix has the series for some reason and what I can recall of it was surprisingly good for what it is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Atlas Hugged posted:

I got high as a loving kite last night and watched "Jihad", the first episode of TAS because my regional Netflix has the series for some reason and what I can recall of it was surprisingly good for what it is.

That's a fun episode. Keep watching, it stays about that crazy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait people don’t like Course: Oblivion? It’s one of the few Voyagers I genuinely love because it’s so bleak.

Wait, people do like it? It's Pointless Nihilism: The Episode, I'd rather get ludovico'd into a whole musical season of Picard than rewatch it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Wait, people do like it? It's Pointless Nihilism: The Episode, I'd rather get ludovico'd into a whole musical season of Picard than rewatch it.

the episode had a kind of novelty before *gestures to the last decade and a half*

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lord Hydronium posted:

I feel like pretty much every so-called worst episode of Star Trek is automatically better than Code of Honor simply by virtue of not being extremely loving racist.

I also think that stuff like Sub Rosa and Threshold move themselves out of that category by being memorably bizarre, and that the true worst episodes (besides the actively offensive ones) are the ones with so little to offer that you forget about them the moment the credits roll.

Yes, Sub Rosa is absolutely in the "so bad it's good" territory, or at least "so schlocky it's good". There are quite a few bad TNG episodes that are totally dull and forgettable, but there's only one with a horny zombie grandma that shoots force lighting.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

skasion posted:

TOS did it. Leslie, the ultimate crewman! Went through at least three departments, got gassed as a redshirt in “Obsession”, came back like it wasn’t nothing
Galloway got vaporised by a phaser in 'The Omega Glory', but it was just a flesh wound.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Yes, Sub Rosa is absolutely in the "so bad it's good" territory, or at least "so schlocky it's good". There are quite a few bad TNG episodes that are totally dull and forgettable, but there's only one with a horny zombie grandma that shoots force lighting.

Plus a cloud tries to kill Groundskeeper Willie.

I don't like it at all and don't consider it good, but it isn't boring. I'll give it that. Stuff is happening the whole time, even if I don't like it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same here. I usually don't like "The end; no moral" kind of stories, but it really works with Voyager for some reason.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Okay guys, you're selling me on the sexy ghost episode, it sounds mental. If it's in the Spock's Brain realm and not the Alternative Factor realm, I'm down.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's a fun one.

Also, my partner and I are bouncing around Treks after finishing SNW and TNG, mostly catching TOS but also a bit of DS9 and the movies and an occasional LDS. I asked her what show she was in the mood for and what tone last night, and she said she was open to anything. So I took a chance and we watched the salamander Voyager episode.

I hadn't watched Voyager since syndication, and the first thing that struck me is just how utterly lifeless the production design was. The second thing is just how true it is that the show chokes itself to death on technobabble. The third was that the characters are just not compelling or well-written.

These are not unique observations, naturally, but I figured they were overstated in my memory and in discussion. But nope. First thing my partner said was "This show really isn't well-written, is it?" followed soon after by "These characters aren't very good."

Still, I'm gonna watch one of the film serial episodes soon, I remember those being super fun. They also got me into film serials, which I'm not sure if I should be thankful for or not.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gates McFadden really sells answering the door after having just got off too

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McSpanky posted:

It’s really bad and I don’t plan to rewatch it again

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DS9 is good and deserves to be watched in something fairly close to its entirety. Season 1 and season 7 are the only ones with more than a few skips

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

DS9 is good and deserves to be watched in something fairly close to its entirety. Season 1 and season 7 are the only ones with more than a few skips

Yeah, I recently finished a first-time watch of DS9, and there are only a very small number of episodes I would recommend skipping. Even in Season 1 I can't think of any obvious clunkers.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Every single DS9 episode is better than any Voyager episode

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Soul Dentist posted:

Every single DS9 episode is better than any Voyager episode

Demonstrably false. To pick two with a big difference in quality, Living Witness (VOY) is better than Profit and Lace (DS9).

:colbert:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:same:

I have a hard time enjoying Sub Rosa as bad in a fun way because it is about a rape ghost. It's not as bad as VOY's Retrospect, but it's pretty loving bad.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Wait, now it's a rape ghost? YOU GUYS, COME ON

I had it built up in my head that it was a ghostly Fabio and Beverly's like "Oh, you're so sexy ghost Fabio." And they have a deep and emotional relationship, which ends sadly when she realises she can't live with all the constant spook jump scares.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

feedmyleg posted:

I hadn't watched Voyager since syndication, and the first thing that struck me is just how utterly lifeless the production design was.

For about 90-95%+ of the show this and the rest of the post is accurate but there are a handful of good episodes

try "blink of an eye" from season 6 maybe, standalone sci-fi episode that's low on the technobabble

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MuddyFunster posted:

I had it built up in my head that it was a ghostly Fabio and Beverly's like "Oh, you're so sexy ghost Fabio." And they have a deep and emotional relationship, which ends sadly when she realises she can't live with all the constant spook jump scares.

It's a gothic horror. It's a ghost. You can kind of figure it out from there.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

Oh yeah. Sorry about that. You also get to enjoy some writer being a weeb for Scotland for some inexplicable reason. It's....great.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Oh, Captain's Holiday!
Get on your knees and pray!
There's a vacant seat on the Enterprise!
And a Horga'hn in his pants!

Quite a tame holiday, honestly. There's a whiff of British sitcom movie spinoff/hour long special to it. Picard goes and does the thing in the title and WHOOPS wouldn't you know it, he winds up getting mistaken for his exact doppelganger, a ruthless assassin, then all sorts of comedic shenanigans ensue! Alright, no, that is the plot of the George and Mildred movie. Instead he gets roped into some mildly amusing fish-out-of-water situations and a rather dull adventure in some Oblivion looking caves. Also there is time travel. Also, a *spit* Ferengi is there, who cares. When Picard's adventure gal love interest intimates that they could end up somehow doing this all over again, I'm like; "No, thanks, but no."

Tin Man was alright. I felt pretty sorry for Elbrun, sad Betazoid boy. Really didn't like how Riker and Picard were treating him. Still, he found a happy ending with his weird alien flesh ship thing. Lump that into the good, not great category.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s Tin MAN

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Tin MAN

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MuddyFunster posted:

Oh, Captain's Holiday!
Get on your knees and pray!
There's a vacant seat on the Enterprise!
And a Horga'hn in his pants!

Quite a tame holiday, honestly. There's a whiff of British sitcom movie spinoff/hour long special to it. Picard goes and does the thing in the title and WHOOPS wouldn't you know it, he winds up getting mistaken for his exact doppelganger, a ruthless assassin, then all sorts of comedic shenanigans ensue! Alright, no, that is the plot of the George and Mildred movie. Instead he gets roped into some mildly amusing fish-out-of-water situations and a rather dull adventure in some Oblivion looking caves. Also there is time travel. Also, a *spit* Ferengi is there, who cares. When Picard's adventure gal love interest intimates that they could end up somehow doing this all over again, I'm like; "No, thanks, but no."

Fun fact: for the French dub of the show, the character of Vash had to be renamed, because "vache" (pronounced similarly) means "cow".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arglebargle III posted:

As much as people rag on DS9 s7, there were still some top 10 episodes in there. Like Treachery, Faith and the Great River. But of course, I'm a sucker for Weyoun.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

As much as people rag on DS9 s7, there were still some top 10 episodes in there. Like Treachery, Faith and the Great River. But of course, I'm a sucker for Weyoun.

Yeah, I can see the argument for S1, but S7, even if I were looking for poo poo to skip to get through the season faster, I come up with all of four episodes: Chrysalis, Prodigal Daughter, Emperor's New Cloak, and Field of Fire. You can make a case for Extreme Measures, which isn't very good, but it's also very much part of the finale.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Rewatching DS9 S1, and they really like "weird thing comes through the wormhole and messes with everyone" plots. On Dramatis Personae now and that's the third one in a row with that premise. It feels very TNG in a way that the show grows out of in later seasons to become its own thing.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Lord Hydronium posted:

Rewatching DS9 S1, and they really like "weird thing comes through the wormhole and messes with everyone" plots. On Dramatis Personae now and that's the third one in a row with that premise. It feels very TNG in a way that the show grows out of in later seasons to become its own thing.

It's really interesting how unprepared they appear to have been to write a show about a space station in fixed space given the number of "aliens of the week" that randomly came through the wormhole in the beginning of the show's run. You can see some ideas beginning to form though, the Hunters from Dramatis Personae were like some sort of proto Jem'Hadar.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I recall one of the writers talking about how they saw Deep Space Nine as being like Gunsmoke in that the problems come to town instead of going out to the problems

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Yeah. As goofy as it is, Move Along Home is a pretty good example of the show's original premise. Just weird bullcrap coming out of the Gamma Quadrant episodically, rinse, repeat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MuddyFunster posted:

I'd be reluctant to call it a rape ghost for reasons that become clear during the episode. It gets sort of complicated and blurry.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Penitent posted:

It's really interesting how unprepared they appear to have been to write a show about a space station in fixed space given the number of "aliens of the week" that randomly came through the wormhole in the beginning of the show's run. You can see some ideas beginning to form though, the Hunters from Dramatis Personae were like some sort of proto Jem'Hadar.

Tosk also seems like a proto Jem’Hadar. Similar boxy/scaly design, similar invisibility powers, and even the same kind of character motives we see in a lot of JH—complete, unshakable determination to live out their objectively awful fate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I recall one of the writers talking about how they saw Deep Space Nine as being like Gunsmoke in that the problems come to town instead of going out to the problems

Yeah, the official in-house comparison was that TOS and TNG were "Wagon Train to the stars" and DS9 was "The Rifleman in space".

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

skasion posted:

Tosk also seems like a proto Jem’Hadar. Similar boxy/scaly design, similar invisibility powers, and even the same kind of character motives we see in a lot of JH—complete, unshakable determination to live out their objectively awful fate.

He is Tosk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

It would be reasonable that he might have been from the same original stock as the Jem'hadar, or had been a modified one.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nessus posted:

It would be reasonable that he might have been from the same original stock as the Jem'hadar, or had been a modified one.

There's enough similarity to between Tosk and the Hunters (in the forehead, for instance) that it's more likely that the two are closely related, and the Dominion boosted the Tosk to create a better prey species using similar techniques as they did to the Jem'Hadar to create better soldiers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah. As goofy as it is, Move Along Home is a pretty good example of the show's original premise. Just weird bullcrap coming out of the Gamma Quadrant episodically, rinse, repeat.

Move Along Home isn't actually a skip in my book. It's weird and goofy but I like the aliens and Armin Shimmerman manages to sell his scenes. The Storyteller and If Wishes Were Horses are the lowest points of the season IMO. And the one with Bashir in the old age makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Move Along Home is a delight and I will hear nothing less.