Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I remember Wizard making a joke about it looking like it was made from one of Zealot's thongs lol. But I agree it's a sweet costume.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I didn't like the Grifter figure that McFarlane released in the DC Multiverse line, but the head was great. I got a cheap one and put the head on an Alpha Commando Snake Eyes body.

Now it scales perfectly with all my 6" DC Direct and DC Universe Classics figures, as well as with my G.I. Joe Classified collection.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
On that note, what you say are the top ten character designs in comics? Superman, batman, Spiderman are all right there at the top, any of those could be number 1. What makes a good character design?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Soonmot posted:

On that note, what you say are the top ten character designs in comics? Superman, batman, Spiderman are all right there at the top, any of those could be number 1. What makes a good character design?

Some of my all-time favorite character designs:
Nightwing's black and blue costume (I prefer the late '90s version where the blue forms a "V" on his chest to the current one that forms a bird head)
Reuben Flagg and the Plexus Rangers (Howard Chaykin's American Flagg)
The Rocketeer
Grendel (Matt Wagner's design for Hunter Rose; another perfect mask, like Grifter)
Spartan from Wildcats (all his various looks, from Jim Lee to Travis Charest to Dustin Nguyen's shiny suit)
Golden Age Sandman (particularly the Mystery Theatre version, with the earth-toned suit, trench coat, and fedora and the World War I-era gas mask)
Blue Beetle (all three are actually pretty great, but Ted Kord's costume is a favorite)
Booster Gold (with and without the collar)
The Flash (especially the '90s Wally West version with a darker, shinier red, gold instead of yellow, and the lightning bolt belt forming a "V" in the front; it lets you know everything the character is about)
Captain America (especially the World War II version from the First Avenger movie and the armored-looking Marvel Now version, with the wings as designs on the side of his helmet, rather than sticking out of his head)
Moon Knight (the classic version and the black and white Declan Shalvey design)
Hawkeye (David Aja's 2012 update -- a perfect modernization)
Catwoman (Darwyn Cooke's 2001-ish update with the black bodysuit with the zipper, the cat mask with the big goggles, and the large but short boots)
Golden Age Vigilante (a singing cowboy stuntman from 1940s Hollywood, decked out in red, white, and blue)
Daredevil (Marco Checchetto's modern update with two shades of red and additional details, but not the baggy red and black ninja suit)
Deadshot (Marshall Rogers' design that lasted from the '70s through the New 52 launch in 2011; love the mask and the ridiculous wrist guns)

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Scarlet Spider with the cutoff shirt! GOAT

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Leather jackets will never go out of style.
also hoodies. More heroes need to wear hoodies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really liked post-Annihilation Star Lord.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I was a fan of the original Ben Reilly Spider-Man costume, the one by Dan Jurgens. Too bad it has so much baggage attached to it because it would be neat to see it make a comeback in some fashion.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Splint Chesthair posted:

I was a fan of the original Ben Reilly Spider-Man costume, the one by Dan Jurgens. Too bad it has so much baggage attached to it because it would be neat to see it make a comeback in some fashion.

Baggage?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Coming from the Clone Saga, I mean.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Coming from the Clone Saga, I mean.

Gotcha. That makes sense. It is a good costume though. There's the updated version with the crooked spider emblem too, not quite as nice but still good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heartstopper is very frustrating. The first volume makes it seem like rugby is going to be important to the story, but it barely comes up at all in later volumes.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

The black Spider-Man costume and Gambit's outfit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unironically, the Hulk is comic book visual design distilled down to its purest form. Ragged purple pants might not be much of a costume, but it visually pops in a way that a lot of busier concepts don't.

Ghost Rider has one focused element, but it's a great one. Having the rest of the costume being a simple motorcycle jacket and pants works in the character's favor. Even in the 90s incarnation where the jacket was busier, it didn't look wildly out of place.

I always liked the Jim Lee designed Storm outfit. I find that the X-Men generally have pretty bad costumes (see Gambit), but that version of Storm looks really sharp.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Random Stranger posted:

I always liked the Jim Lee designed Storm outfit. I find that the X-Men generally have pretty bad costumes (see Gambit), but that version of Storm looks really sharp.

Hey Gambit could always be worse...

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I truly am the only fan of Gambit's costume. I'm from Louisiana and my wife is Cajun and I liked Prince's 90's period where he wore the head sock. He wears a trenchcoat in New Orleans. That's the hardest thing to wear there. It's 100° and the humidity is 90%. He's crazy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lucifunk posted:

I truly am the only fan of Gambit's costume. I'm from Louisiana and my wife is Cajun and I liked Prince's 90's period where he wore the head sock. He wears a trenchcoat in New Orleans. That's the hardest thing to wear there. It's 100° and the humidity is 90%. He's crazy.

I love it too. It makes absolutely no sense and is style over practicality but it goes so hard into style that it goes from crazy to awesome. It is really one of my fave costumes of the 90s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Ghost Rider costumes, I really liked the look from the movie sequel, Spirit of Vengeance. The black, oily smoke and the singed/melted jacket really sold the whole 'head of fire" vibe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

I'm just gonna say Spider-Man. Batman and Superman have had constant redesigns (they also did premiere 25ish year earlier than Spider-Man) where Spider-Man's costume has been pretty constant beyond losing the weird armpit webs in the first few years and the times he's worn black.

I'm super (no pun intended) happy DC finally realized the trunks are important to making the Superman costume work. The only Superman costume without the trunks that works is that bit at the start of New 52 where he's wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

For something slightly more modern, Jamie Delano's Captain Marvel costume for Carol Danvers was loving fire.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The original Alan Moore Swamp Thing collection is on sale, I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about that over the years but never read any Swamp Thing stories. I usually don’t like superheroes and have been ambivalent about some of Moore’s work but enjoyed his contributions to American Flagg and enjoyed V for Vendetta well enough fifteen years ago when I was a teenager. What do people itt think of it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

The original Alan Moore Swamp Thing collection is on sale, I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about that over the years but never read any Swamp Thing stories. I usually don’t like superheroes and have been ambivalent about some of Moore’s work but enjoyed his contributions to American Flagg and enjoyed V for Vendetta well enough fifteen years ago when I was a teenager. What do people itt think of it

Get it, it's a seminal work. It's not really a super hero book (although IIRC super heroes show up in it, especially at the start).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Absolutely worth it. While Swamp Thing exists in a universe with superheroes, it's not a superhero comic. It's a horror book first and foremost. Superheroes do pop up, but they tend to be ineffective or loose references. Moore's Swamp Thing is a bit of a Rosetta Stone for the shift in comics in the 80s as bits and pieces of it spread everywhere.

The only thing you need to know going in is that a scientist working on a super plant formula got blown up, dumped into a swamp, and emerged as a plant monster.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Yes, you should check it out. I think Saga of the Swamp Thing 21 may be my favorite single issue of a comic. It's written so well, so compelling, the characters are so well written for an introduction, it's just really really good, in my opinion.
I don't think I finished his run on Swamp Thing all the way the last time I read it, but I'm planning on it now.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 14, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also it features plant sex and psychedelic yams.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It also sets up a bunch of stuff you'll probably recognize from other books.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It has one story of Swamp Thing landing a planet made up of machines or something and it is filled with text and I have never been able to finish that issue.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Splint Chesthair posted:

It's still canonically Spider-Girl's costume in her universe (after a brief detour)

Also assuming that one panel from Timeless comes to pass, it might be making a comeback at some point in the future in the 616.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks everyone! I was a bit charitable about my feelings re: superhero comics, which I pretty much categorically hate with a few odd exceptions here and there. Swamp Thing being characterized by psychedelia/being a gigantic influential work that is important to the medium/some decent social satire sounds like exactly the kinda thing that makes a few marvel/DC characters or whatever showing up something I can overlook without issue.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Frog Act posted:

Thanks everyone! I was a bit charitable about my feelings re: superhero comics, which I pretty much categorically hate with a few odd exceptions here and there. Swamp Thing being characterized by psychedelia/being a gigantic influential work that is important to the medium/some decent social satire sounds like exactly the kinda thing that makes a few marvel/DC characters or whatever showing up something I can overlook without issue.
This is where a lot of stuff started so at these times they were not overdone. Moore himself is also good at handling these sorts of things, even if his imitators are often not.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I'm not super big into the whole Godzilla universe, but I decided to read Here Be Dragons, and its fun. Godzilla and pirates. What's not to love?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm just gonna say Spider-Man. Batman and Superman have had constant redesigns (they also did premiere 25ish year earlier than Spider-Man) where Spider-Man's costume has been pretty constant beyond losing the weird armpit webs in the first few years and the times he's worn black.

I'm super (no pun intended) happy DC finally realized the trunks are important to making the Superman costume work. The only Superman costume without the trunks that works is that bit at the start of New 52 where he's wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

For something slightly more modern, Jamie Delano's Captain Marvel costume for Carol Danvers was loving fire.

Spider-Man’s costumes look indistinguishably similar to each other most of the time but somehow Spider fans argue a lot about which one is the best.

Also your other costume opinions are correct

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Frog Act posted:

I really wish you didn’t mention this was in sale. I just dropped $50 on a half off Locke & Key slipcase set and every says Moore’s Swamp Thing is like THE series every horror comic reader should have on their shelf no matter what

thetoughestbean posted:

Spider-Man’s costumes look indistinguishably similar to each other most of the time but somehow Spider fans argue a lot about which one is the best.

Also your other costume opinions are correct

I like the one with the spider on it

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I really wish you didn’t mention this was in sale. I just dropped $50 on a half off Locke & Key slipcase set and every says Moore’s Swamp Thing is like THE series every horror comic reader should have on their shelf no matter what

As far as even literature goes, there is just something special about the writing that immediately grabs me. Also everything else about it.

Saga of the Swamp Thing #21 posted:

It's raining in Washington tonight. Plump, warm summer rain that covers the sidewalks with leopard spots. Downtown, elderly ladies carry their houseplants out to set them on the fire-escapes, as if they were infirm relatives or Boy Kings. I like that.

That particular issue made me interested in a few characters that, in the hands of another writer, would be incidental to the story and otherwise not all that remarkable.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Which one is the Delano design? I didn't see one on a quick google.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Which one is the Delano design? I didn't see one on a quick google.

Jamie McKelvie, not Jamie Delano (who is best known as the first Hellblazer writer in the late '80s).

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It actually just went down in price by another $0.20 while it was in my cart so I suspect it’ll be on sale for awhile, at least

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Jamie McKelvie, not Jamie Delano (who is best known as the first Hellblazer writer in the late '80s).

Thanks, I thought it might be that, but I don't know enough about Jamie Delano or Captain Marvel to be sure.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's still canonically Spider-Girl's costume in her universe (after a brief detour)

Also assuming that one panel from Timeless comes to pass, it might be making a comeback at some point in the future in the 616.

Oh dang, that's right. I completely forgot about Spider-Girl.

I've never read a single issue of Earth-2, but I love the Val-Zod Superman suit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I meant McKelvie, not Delano. That was a weird brain fart on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the Mike Diana documentary any good?