Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Yeah I might as well put the money aside now for There Will Be Blood, consumerism won on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

What should I grab from the Arrow sale at B&N? Are any of their 4K releases a must-buy?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Tesh posted:

What should I grab from the Arrow sale at B&N? Are any of their 4K releases a must-buy?

This is my small Arrow collection, and they are all certified A+ bangers. There's a 4k Apartment but this one looks great and supposedly has better features.

https://imgur.com/a/iLCLnPB

Edit: stupid AwfulApp won't embed.

The Apartment
The Day of the Jackal
Closely Observed Trains
Walerian Borowczyck Short Films and Animation

big boi fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 12, 2023

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I grabbed True Romance which I've seen and Tremors which I haven't, I was looking for that Django 4k which I hear looks incredible but I had no luck, only the Blu

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Tesh posted:

The Long Good Friday
Day of the Jackal
Thief

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Worth noting that B&N is only going to have US Arrow releases, which means no Thief, Naked Lunch, Videodrome, The Last Emperor, etc. until Criterion releases their own editions.

Here's some of my picks from what's on sale....

4K UHD:

Hugo - Underrated Scorsese film and his only "kids" movie so far. Both Blu and UHD editions include 2D and 3D presentations (polarized setup required), with tons of extras, in addition to the new 4K remaster (which is sort of an upscale, but looks great anyways)

RoboCop - One of their absolute best releases. While the current UHD and Blu-ray editions are the standard editions with only the director's cut (2nd disc was exclusive to LEs), you're only missing out on the theatrical cut, isolated score, TV cut, and video pieces on the different cuts.

Silent Running - Fascinating "hippie" sci-fi with Bruce Dern, directed by Douglas Trumbull. Both the Blu and UHD look gorgeous, plus plenty of extras.

An American Werewolf in London - The remaster on both Blu and UHD are miles better than Universal's Blu-rays, plus there's tons of extras.

Deep Red - One of my favorite Argentos, the restoration of the uncut Italian version looks amazing and there's a bunch of audio options, plus extras.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage - Another great Argento, same as Deep Red.

Blu-ray:

Spider Baby - One of the true "sicko" horror films of the 60s, just weird and campy as hell, with Lon Chaney Jr.

The Major and the Minor - Billy Wilder's directorial debut in the US, funny screwball comedy with Ginger Rogers and Ray Milland that pushes the limits of the production code

My Name is Julia Ross - Tight thriller noir by Joseph H. Lewis that's like a even more disturbing Gaslight

The Driller Killer - Abel Ferrara directs and stars as the title role. Crazy and gory, Ferrara's commentary is hilarious.

The Herschel Gordon Lewis Feast - HGL's splatter films are a lot of fun if you can stand the goopiness. Blood Feast, Two Thousand Maniacs, and Color Me Blood Red are all a lot of fun.

Distant Voices, Still Lives - Terence Davies is one of the finest filmmakers of the late 20th century and this is one of his masterpieces.

The Andromeda Strain - Great sci-fi thriller by Robert Wise based on the Michael Crichton novel. A slow burn, but great if you like procedural stuff.

The Addiction - One of the best films by Abel Ferrara and one of the best vampire movies. Shot in black and white, also has a great one scene appearance by Walken.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Egbert Souse posted:

Worth noting that B&N is only going to have US Arrow releases, which means no Thief, Naked Lunch, Videodrome, The Last Emperor, etc. until Criterion releases their own editions.

Since they have videodrome coming in october, they must also have the rest of the rights US side right? It's tempting to get that naked lunch special edition but I just know criterion has to have that on the way.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

zer0spunk posted:

I drink your milkshake!!

I'm kinda jazzed to be able to retire this copy of naked gun on DVD (not my pic, i opened mine):

Hey want to see the most ill advised of that border?

edogawa rando posted:

Now get the Abyss DC 4K out FFS.

I want a version of the Abyss that keeps the original ending and removes all the padding Cameron stuffed into the film he put in there when he released the version with his intended finale. All of his "special editions" are just the already good movie bogged down with a bunch of crap that, well sometimes interesting, is entirely superfluous and fucks up the pacing. Terminator 2 is a perfect example of this. It's over two hours but it never feels like length because it's just well edited. The micro chip scene in the gas station in particular is really cool and gives us a great moment between Sarah and John but ultimately it just grinds the movie to a halt and doesn't establish anything we don't already get without it.

quote:

Also, seeing a lot of Freeway II mentions. I remember watching it in high school and thinking it was utter arse. Am I misremembering?

I've said it before but a large percentage of the stuff that VS and its contemporaries put out is just unwatchable trash that was forgotten for a reason. But it is kind of cool that someone is preserving weird crap because they do do good work and ultimately they also put out a lot of stuff that makes what they do worthwhile. And I do admire that there are a handful of weirdos passionate about keeping this crap alive even if I think it's trash.

I'm still boycotting them until they release Freaked.

Gripweed posted:

The greatest double feature of all time

"Ah gently caress it, just put 'em together so we don't have to make two boxes."

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Blind bought the Sister Street Fighter Collection from Arrow because I was at an incredible used video store with a ton of KL, Criterion, and Arrow stuff and wanted to pick up something out of the blue and support the place. Hoping they're fun.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Thanks for the recommendations! I may go with An American Werewolf in London because I feel great shame for having never seen it before. Also thanks for the reminder about Thief. I queued it up in the Criterion Channel to check out before it leaves at the end of the month.

In other news my single purchase from the VS sale arrived

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CPL593H posted:

Hey want to see the most ill advised of that border?

jesus.

even weirder is that branding packaging came with a CD bonus insert of 80s one hit wonder stuff..nothing to do with whatever the movie is. I think I tossed mine. Imagine popping that on and listening to Take On Me while digesting The Accused

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

CPL593H posted:

I've said it before but a large percentage of the stuff that VS and its contemporaries put out is just unwatchable trash that was forgotten for a reason. But it is kind of cool that someone is preserving weird crap because they do do good work and ultimately they also put out a lot of stuff that makes what they do worthwhile. And I do admire that there are a handful of weirdos passionate about keeping this crap alive even if I think it's trash.

I'm still boycotting them until they release Freaked.

Since Disney owns Freaked now, you're going to be waiting for a long time. :smith:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tesh posted:

In other news my single purchase from the VS sale arrived

Lol hell yeah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tesh posted:

Tremors, Pitch Black, and Day of the Jackal are all instabuys, imo. If you are open to the concept of giant monsters movies, the Gamera Heisei box set is absolutely fantastic, but be warned those movies might make you a kaiju fan and then you'll have to buy the Criterion Godzilla box set at the next Criterion sale ~It happened to me~~~~

Also, Southland Tales. 95% of the people who have seen Southland Tales think it's bad. They are all wrong. It is a masterpiece. Buy it but maybe hold off on watching it until the next time you're running a fever, I think that puts you in the right headspace. Cannes cut only.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They need to release the Abyss cut where the guy is getting pantsed on the beach when the giant tidal wave is coming.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Nice to see the Day of The Jackal love in this thread. It's the best Jean-Pierre Melville movie not actually made by him.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/ghoulbasement/status/1690411781569523713?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
some people got hackers 10 days early (weird) but they seem to say it's a really good transfer with a decent 5.1 mix that wasn't on most other versions. i get nervous preordering anything from shout at this point so i'm relieved, apparently the BD they put out was a real DNR fest

the BD included should be the new version too, wonder if they'll do a new BD only release

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 13, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Look at them, trying to fool people into thinking there’s a cut where the birds just fly Frodo right to the volcano.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Knowing my Wal Mart, they will get the display set up for all of these, but only stock 2 of them and I'll keep checking every week for The Gate until the display is gone.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I checked my Walmart and they have the setup. If Galaxy Quest was Blu-Ray I'd have gotten it; I love the slipcovers.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If it's still there in the morning I'm getting the Mist. idk if The Gate is there but if so, that too

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
TIL there are three lost boys movies and 7 tremors

I wonder which of the 4 Ghostbusters films got cut for that 3 pack.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/fiendformojitos/status/1690622933268328448?t=UBJKlKleXWOPoXfgbE-AGg&s=19

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

Gunna guess it was the lady one since that last one is in continuity with the first two.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

dorium posted:

Gunna guess it was the lady one since that last one is in continuity with the first two.

Probably, they excluded that abomination in the first post-Afterlife box set which inspired a few angry tweets from Leslie Jones

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

What do you call that aesthetic? Iron-On Chic? Trading Card Nouveau?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Happy Hippo posted:

Probably, they excluded that abomination in the first post-Afterlife box set which inspired a few angry tweets from Leslie Jones

It was the one i enjoyed most out of the series up to that point, but I only just saw the first two a few years ago and don't have that close sort of attachment to them where they are a father figure to me

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

zer0spunk posted:

Tremors 2 is really good, IMO. They should have put it in theaters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheScott2K posted:

Tremors 2 is really good, IMO. They should have put it in theaters.

Yeah Tremors is an all time classic, Tremos 2 is a great comedy action romp with an extremely memorable climax, and Tremors 3 is a good have it on in the background while you do chores movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

What do you call that aesthetic? Iron-On Chic? Trading Card Nouveau?

"cheap and ugly"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SilentChaz posted:

Since Disney owns Freaked now, you're going to be waiting for a long time. :smith:

I know but who would have ever imagine the director's cut of Tammy and the T-Rex would be unearthed and released in a premium format? Miracles happen when you boycott Vinegar Syndrome.

Happy Hippo posted:

The remake isn't great and is extremely frontloaded but it's definitely better than the Ghostbusters Funko Pops film adaption.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

If it's still there in the morning I'm getting the Mist. idk if The Gate is there but if so, that too

Got the last copy of both :sickos:

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Finally biting the bullet and getting into hard copies after being so jerked around by different streaming services and rising prices. I've been trolling ebay and flea markets, and SA-Mart, but does anyone have other tips for building up a critical mass of media?
I thankfully have the benefit of living in Portand and being a supporter of the local non-profit video rental place, so it's not critical for me to get everything I want to watch before I can watch it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

look out for sales unless you gotta have it right away.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Big Mac posted:

Finally biting the bullet and getting into hard copies after being so jerked around by different streaming services and rising prices. I've been trolling ebay and flea markets, and SA-Mart, but does anyone have other tips for building up a critical mass of media?
I thankfully have the benefit of living in Portand and being a supporter of the local non-profit video rental place, so it's not critical for me to get everything I want to watch before I can watch it.

If you're going the used route, check thrift stores regularly. It's all a numbers game. Most of the time they'll have nothing great but make a regular habit of it (like weekly while you're grocery shopping or something), you'll start finding more and more decent stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Deepdiscountdvd sometimes has great prices but I only recommend ordering stuff they have in stock, they'll often let u preorder stuff through them then cancel the order when they can't fill it.

Also depends on what your film tastes are.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Big Mac posted:

yeah, add stuff you like to keepa and let it tell you any price changes (for amazon)

go on best buy and filter sales/clearance, 4k discs and low to high and bookmark that, do the same for amazon too and try and just check those every now and then

gruv has sales and a 20% coupon, I just wouldn't get anything too fancy and damageable from them

check facebook market and offerup occasionally too in your area

also, labels have sales sporadically, like criterion has one that gets everything down to 25 from the usual 35+ and that happens a few times, same for shout, KL, etc..this thread has been good about letting me know when that stuff pops up

and dont feel like you need to buy EVERYTHING, you'll go insane

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

what in the hell are you talking about, I already KNOW I need to buy everything

no but for this I am very grateful for https://moviemadness.org/, I've been hitting it up at least once a week since March. I get rent one/get one, on account of my monthly membership. Comes with lots of perks at the non-profit theater in town, too. I also volunteer at the theater, so it's gotten really affordable to have a crippling movie habit.

FrumpleOrz posted:

If you're going the used route, check thrift stores regularly. It's all a numbers game. Most of the time they'll have nothing great but make a regular habit of it (like weekly while you're grocery shopping or something), you'll start finding more and more decent stuff.

I'm insufferably cheap, so this is definitely gonna be a big plan for me. Haven't seen any 4k pickings, but I just had a big get of some blu-ray boxed sets for Star Wars, Alien, and LotR. Nice to simply have those handled and not have the itch every time I see a perceived deal on them.

Big Mac fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 14, 2023