Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I'm sorry if this has been addressed in this thread already, but I don't frequent it and can't check all the thousands of posts since I last checked in.

My girlfriend and I took in an abandoned kitten last year, Theodore, aka Teddy. He's a super sweet snuggler, but also very playful and energetic. He loves different kinds of stimulating activities, such as doing tricks, and particularly going in the backyard on his harness.

We love Teddy so much, and he's really a sweet and social cat, but he has a couple behavioral issues. One is that he can be kind of a tough guy. Unfortunately, a couple of people who were around him in his first couple months played with him with their hands, and when he's riled up he tackles and wrestles our hands and feet. We have tried not engaging to make it boring to him and providing substitutes (he has toys he likes to wrestle otherwise), but with pretty limited success. What concerns me most about it is that he seems genuinely angry and upset, and when we draw a hard line by removing ourselves or him, he starts sulking and looks very upset. He will also start doing this if he doesn't get what he wants.

Tied in with this, he is obsessed with going outside on his harness. We stick to the backyard, and he is pretty cooperative about wearing the harness and not trying to do anything he shouldn't, but he gets so upset when we don't go out. He sits by the door for hours, sometimes howling, and really seems sad. I take him out as much as I can, generally about 20-30 minutes a day, more when I can, but nothing seems to be enough. We live in a basement apartment, so I get that it's confining, but he doesn't even want to go in the windows we do have, he just wants outside. He'll wake me up in the middle of the night, usually by biting my feet, seemingly very angrily, to lead me to the door.

Overall we're just concerned because he's such an engaged sweet cat and we don't want him to change because we can't seem to give him enough. We want to get him a cat friend, but we're just not in the position to do that right now. He's neutered and seems to be in good health, he just seems to need more stimulation, which I'm not used to because most cats I've had were of the more Garfield variety.

Edit: mandatory pics

ricecult fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cross posting this from the vet thread in case anyone here has ever seen this before:

Taking my little fella Bowie here to the vet on monday but I figured I'd post here in case someone can assuage my fears in the meantime

He seems completely fine but I've noticed some discoloration the white hair on his nose/hair loss near his left eye (you can see both in this picture)

any thoughts on what this could be/should I expedite the vet trip?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

y'all please pray for Tippi. She has "Beautiful Sweetest Baby" disease and its incurable, she will be a beautiful sweet baby forever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shrecknet posted:

y'all please pray for Tippi. She has "Beautiful Sweetest Baby" disease and its incurable, she will be a beautiful sweet baby forever.

:3:

I wanna give her treats and nose scritches.

This post delivers.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I'm going to be out of town for about 10 days and the person who was due to take care of my cat had to bail.

We have friends coming by the apartment every evening to feed him and scoop and hang with him.
But we usually feed him 1/2 a can of food 2x a day (once in the early morning and once at night)
Is it okay to bump that to 1 full can once a day at night?
also: he's on a special kidney/grain free diet for cats as he once had a blockage several years ago but otherwise no health issues.

The alternative would be to supplement with dry?
But dry can upset his gi system and give him diarrhea and we're worried about blockages.

He's about 11 or 12 years old but very spry and perfectly healthy and cool.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Taking my little fella Bowie here to the vet on monday but I figured I'd post here in case someone can assuage my fears in the meantime

It's probably fine, could be some sort of skin infection or just irritation from something. If his eye swells shut go to the vet ASAP but if it doesn't you have time.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I was in here a ways back asking about edible plastic alternatives for my cat who is a hosed up little plastic fiend. I just wanted to say the best thing I have found so far is plastic string cheese wrappers. The plastic is too thick and too large for her to actually eat or tear, so it's a perfect chew toy for her to harmlessly chomp on to her heart's content. I'll let her have at it with a wrapper and she's never gotten close to actually ingesting it (though I do watch her and dispose of them after just in case). Just in case anyone else has a weird gremlin-rear end cat who loves plastic.

goblin

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 7, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tiny Myers posted:

I was in here a ways back asking about edible plastic alternatives for my cat who is a hosed up little plastic fiend. I just wanted to say the best thing I have found so far is plastic string cheese wrappers. The plastic is too thick and too large for her to actually eat or tear, so it's a perfect chew toy for her to harmlessly chomp on to her heart's content. I'll let her have at it with a wrapper and she's never gotten close to actually ingesting it (though I do watch her and dispose of them after just in case). Just in case anyone else has a weird gremlin-rear end cat who loves plastic.

goblin

Very nice goblin you got there, I would feed them Tuna

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, so, I've finished moving and... how do I find an actual damned vet? I need to get the cats fixed soon, and I haven't had any luck. Every place is full and not taking new customers except the pet acupuncture and naturopathy place... which does do surgery, but that's definitely not my ideal choice. I might have to end up going with them regardless, though, for both this and as my regular event, because of the dozen or so places within an hours travel they are the only one I can find that hasn't explicitly told me they aren't taking new patients.

Is there some sort of, like... Vetfinder service I can use to try and find someone?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

AtomikKrab posted:

Very nice goblin you got there, I would feed them Tuna
She has received tuna in the past and considered it "pretty good", but nothing compares to the siren call of CRINKLE CRINKLE CRINKLE CRONCH

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay, so, I've finished moving and... how do I find an actual damned vet? I need to get the cats fixed soon, and I haven't had any luck. Every place is full and not taking new customers except the pet acupuncture and naturopathy place... which does do surgery, but that's definitely not my ideal choice. I might have to end up going with them regardless, though, for both this and as my regular event, because of the dozen or so places within an hours travel they are the only one I can find that hasn't explicitly told me they aren't taking new patients.

Is there some sort of, like... Vetfinder service I can use to try and find someone?
Have you looked at your local shelters? Some of them have discounted spay/neuter programs and partnerships with vets if not their own in-house vets, to encourage people to get their pets spayed and neutered, since it ultimately makes their job easier by keeping the populations down. Even if they don't, contacting them might help connect you with reputable resources in your area.

I know some people get like an uncomfortable mental image of shelters as being gross and dingy places, which can happen, but a lot of them are very clean and well-kept and professional, with people in charge who love animals very fiercely. Yes, even ones that are not "no-kill" (a controversial term that has no governing body). I'm sure they'd love to hear from a good pet owner who's looking to be responsible.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

Anyone have any anecdotes about dealing with tritrichomonas? My 7 month old kitten was just diagnosed. Getting the ronidazole soon but the vet kinda freaked me out re: potential side effects. No other cats in the house thankfully.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay, so, I've finished moving and... how do I find an actual damned vet?

In addition to the above, you might also ask if your city has a regular spay/neuter clinic event.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anybody got advice for hella vocal cats? A lot of times it is cute. Other times though, you’ll be trying to have a human conversation using words and grammar, and out of nowhere he hears and emerges, meowing a storm.

The other cats barely meow even if you try to encourage them. This fella tho

And yes he’s ball-free and healthy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anybody got advice for hella vocal cats? A lot of times it is cute. Other times though, you’ll be trying to have a human conversation using words and grammar, and out of nowhere he hears and emerges, meowing a storm.

Earplugs. Vocalizing is just a personality trait. He's likely going to stay that way.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Deteriorata posted:

Earplugs. Vocalizing is just a personality trait. He's likely going to stay that way.

Yup. Mine is the same way, can hear him downstairs through the apartment door plus a wall plus a flight of steps. Just have to learn to deal with it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Unfortunately, there's a nation-wide vet and vet-assistant shortage.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it is what it is

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Patiently explain to him to use his inside voice

I’ve got one of these, it is what it is

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

an iksar marauder posted:

Patiently explain to him to use his inside voice

I’ve got one of these, it is what it is

Not the OP but he was not impressed when I showed him your post

E: he is now yelling about it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He’s adorable. Annoying loud weirdos I want to die for

Is it the toxoplasmosis? Perhaps, not important, who needs some scritches right between the ears

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Vets aside for the moment, my catfruit are growing well. I had to transplant them to a larger container, but they seem to be thriving.

(it is my son's worm tank, and they love to alternate batting at and sleeping on the worms)

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Timtam wants you to look at his tail.

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please
We had a 5 year old male cat get out about a week ago and he hasn't been back; we've posted flyers around the neighborhood, there's a post on Pawboost, and so far we've gotten a couple tips that he might have been spotted in an apartment complex behind our house (our house on a hill about a 110 feet away from it). He has a collar with nametag and is microchipped.

I have some health issues that prevent me from going outside a lot during the day and physically searching, though I was able to get out there once and my mom is also out looking sometimes, but my question is could I ask a group like Hope For Paws to help search for him, or are there other similar volunteer groups that will find him, or is it all on us? we're in south Orange County, CA.

Other than keeping the flyers up and going down there to physically search for him, what else could we be doing?

Also, I've thought about buying a cheap camera drone from amazon in the ~$100 range to try looking for him that way? are drones hard to fly or is that a dumb idea? we want him back so badly :smith:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Reaganomicon posted:

We had a 5 year old male cat get out about a week ago and he hasn't been back; we've posted flyers around the neighborhood, there's a post on Pawboost, and so far we've gotten a couple tips that he might have been spotted in an apartment complex behind our house (our house on a hill about a 110 feet away from it). He has a collar with nametag and is microchipped.

I have some health issues that prevent me from going outside a lot during the day and physically searching, though I was able to get out there once and my mom is also out looking sometimes, but my question is could I ask a group like Hope For Paws to help search for him, or are there other similar volunteer groups that will find him, or is it all on us? we're in south Orange County, CA.

Other than keeping the flyers up and going down there to physically search for him, what else could we be doing?

Also, I've thought about buying a cheap camera drone from amazon in the ~$100 range to try looking for him that way? are drones hard to fly or is that a dumb idea? we want him back so badly :smith:

Camera drones are insanely easy to fly, but they're hella noisy so animals tend to not like them for that reason. Maybe if it was a small one? I don't think it'd be a super good tool though just for that reason unfortunately

My cats like watching me fly my tiny little racing drone... from a good distance away inside where they get to watch it zip around without having to listen to it

I'm so sorry you're going through this! It sounds like he's in the area still. Could you maybe put out his food or something for him and see if that lures him back? Or maybe his favorite bed and a blanket if he's got one? Might entice him to hang around after his adventuring for the day so you can scoop him up

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Camera drones are insanely easy to fly, but they're hella noisy so animals tend to not like them for that reason. Maybe if it was a small one? I don't think it'd be a super good tool though just for that reason unfortunately

My cats like watching me fly my tiny little racing drone... from a good distance away inside where they get to watch it zip around without having to listen to it

I'm so sorry you're going through this! It sounds like he's in the area still. Could you maybe put out his food or something for him and see if that lures him back? Or maybe his favorite bed and a blanket if he's got one? Might entice him to hang around after his adventuring for the day so you can scoop him up

I'll try placing one of his blankets near where he last got out. Might try putting some of his hard food out too...

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Fingers crossed for you to be reunited soon, Reaganomicon. Maybe that apartment building has someone who could post one of your flyers up inside so more people there see it?

Blackhawk posted:

Timtam wants you to look at his tail.

Amazing :eyepop: also adorable cat name!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Wednesday has taken a liking to hairball/puking on the same spot of our bed. Three times in a week just recently.

I'm giving her hairball food and making sure to Furminate as often as is reasonable, but it's not making a huge difference.

How can I stop her from thinking the duvet is the perfect puking surface? I even swapped the duvet for the one in the spare room, so it shouldn't have any residual smell (though I have been washing the duvet after she's vommed on it, obviously) but she's just decided she needs to teleport from wherever else she is and make sure to hit the bed.

I can't shut her out of the bedroom because the door is broken, and it's also her daytime safe/sleeping spot so I'd feel guilty.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Worship the Void:

Brother Void + sister Stryper, usually it's the 2 girls that cuddle up:

My old torty Megatron, sleeping on a fish:

T&T with Stryper:

e:
What's in the box :aaa:
https://i.imgur.com/9CIOCQo.mp4

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 14, 2023

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Reaganomicon, don't you have coyotes in your area? I wouldn't waste time on buying a drone when really you should have spent the first 24 hours searching high and low. No offense. I'm seeing this post two days later. It's time to probably do one last search and then it's reevaluating pet ownership. I see too many lost chihuahua/lost cat posters in LA to ever consider reunions after a couple days lost anywhere in Southern California.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Im used to dogs by upbringing but now surrounded by cats. Is my understanding correct that wet food is better, especially now our automated water fountain is broken? They do mostly just look sadly at the water bowl except for our largest and oldest who will toss it halfway round the apartment in a thing he thinks is « drinking water »

And like I knows me enough biology to know cats need water

The puppies are easier and fine to demolish kibble and drink water a lot and also god help if you leave people food in range

Related: why do cat go loving crazy mode for wet food when the can is cracked, and then just look at it, nap, then yell that it isn’t as good anymore when they wake up and decide they are hungry?

I am trying to be a good dad kitty!!!! Feast! I can’t put food down always i have to go do human things!!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Generally wet food is better because of the hydration. Yeah, they should always have a water bowl too, but getting hydration with their solid food is healthier.

They go crazy when you open the can because of the smell, which is intense when the can opens and fades over time as the food dries out. You don't prefer leftovers that have been sitting out or in the fridge for hours over fresh food, do you?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Im used to dogs by upbringing but now surrounded by cats. Is my understanding correct that wet food is better, especially now our automated water fountain is broken? They do mostly just look sadly at the water bowl except for our largest and oldest who will toss it halfway round the apartment in a thing he thinks is « drinking water »

And like I knows me enough biology to know cats need water

The puppies are easier and fine to demolish kibble and drink water a lot and also god help if you leave people food in range

Related: why do cat go loving crazy mode for wet food when the can is cracked, and then just look at it, nap, then yell that it isn’t as good anymore when they wake up and decide they are hungry?

I am trying to be a good dad kitty!!!! Feast! I can’t put food down always i have to go do human things!!

"Better" is relative. Dry and wet food contain the same nutrition. Your cat will do fine on either or both. Wet food is probably tastier and easier to eat, but it spoils. You have to keep opened cans refrigerated and throw away uneaten food after a few hours.

We keep dry food out all the time for them to free feed. We give them some wet food in the evening as a treat (and as a reward for coming in if they've been out).

So do what you and your cats like. It's fine whatever you do.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just keep a water bowl in every room and that tends to do well for my cats and their hydration. I watch that very closely since I'm dry feeding my cats and Dusty has a history of UTIs.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I got an expensive ceramic fountain from Miaustore very early into owning Ferdie and it's been great, the pump broke once but it has a guarantee so they sent another out immediately, we clean it once a week or so and he drinks every day.

He also gets pretty much only wet food in 3 meals a day. Sometimes a bit of dry food, usually Catit's Nuna insect-based food which is inexplicably his favourite thing. He eats a decent variety of high quality wet food, getting pickier though and they keep changing his favourite recipes :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Awhile back I asked for advice about moving two cats across the country. We ended up driving them over 3 days, and they did great the whole way. First two days they got gabapentin, and by then they seemed calm enough and used to the whole deal that we decided not to give them another and they just sat comfortably in the carrier all car ride. Mostly a pain-free and easy trip, so thank you all for your advice!

The two little gremlins in question:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That tuxie is currently perceiving the entire drat universe

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vargatron posted:

I just keep a water bowl in every room and that tends to do well for my cats and their hydration. I watch that very closely since I'm dry feeding my cats and Dusty has a history of UTIs.

We’ve tried stuff like that but our oldest Skillet just won’t drink much. The automated fountain worked but being stuck with bowls for the current time we mostly had to give up on bowls and just blu-tak a baking pan full of water on to the floor so he will drink instead of committing water damage crimes. A big part of that is it feels bad to have to have your whiskers pressed when you are trying to eat or drink yes?

He was born in 2017 so he’s not super old but he’s old enough I am super focused on his health. Everyone else is barely out of kittendom and he is of the age where he could be lost tomorrow or be here for a long long time depending on simple stuff

And he’s my first cat and he’s like the silverback gorilla. My human kids are small, barely sorta walking and if they trip and cry he bolts to them faster than I could, even if he was in the big afternoon closet sleep, and prowls around a moment for threats then purrs and meows and rubs like a real fuckin good boy saying « you’re ok »

Idk how people got the impression cats like being alone. Some, sure, but like housecats? Lmao

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the best argument for giving a cat wet food regularly. It's very easy to see if they eat their entire meal and they'll get most of the hydration they need from that. It's very hard to track how much water they drink and you run the risk of them getting dehydrated.. correlating with an increased risk of kidney problems and urinary tract issues.

If one somehow is positive the cat drinks enough water, dry food is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Does anyone have any good rec's on bigger baskets? The little one (lol) really prefers a basket over anything else. her favorite one recently broke and this is the only one left in the apartment. Even a standalone one being held up by two pillars would be good. Just to give her more space.