Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Single Tight Female posted:

Wtf they look awful

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

why would they not make the cool hat skin go to kung lao. mods???

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mover posted:

Yeah, I had to double check to make sure I was reading it right.

"Well, that's an interesting Kung La-...Sub Zero?!"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

AndyElusive posted:

They're doing random regional special skins again:

Brazilian Tanya is loving awesome

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Mover posted:

Sub Zero would never disrespect the sombrero by throwing it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Sombrero ninjas rule

But Subs blue is a load bearing palette swap. You can't palette swap a palette swap. That would be insane. MK11.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AndyElusive posted:

They're doing random regional special skins again:

ED BOON COME TO BR... never mind.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I had to double check to make sure I was reading it right.

"Well, that's an interesting Kung La-...Sub Zero?!"

At the very least, pick the ninja that is typically associated with skulls.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mover posted:

I think they already did that in MKX/11 (can't remember which one) with a Gaucho Kung Lao skin that even had a bushy drooping moustache.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I saw a video the other day of some of the intro dialogue, and one of Johnny Cage's intros mentions that his mom is a cop. Was that a thing before? Because now I have this wild idea that this Johnny is actually Johnny Cage Jr. and the old Johnny and Sonya are his parents, and that's why Sonya isn't in this game. Am I crazy?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rhonne posted:

I saw a video the other day of some of the intro dialogue, and one of Johnny Cage's intros mentions that his mom is a cop. Was that a thing before? Because now I have this wild idea that this Johnny is actually Johnny Cage Jr. and the old Johnny and Sonya are his parents, and that's why Sonya isn't in this game. Am I crazy?

To be fair, Liu Kang might have pulled a funny and made Johnny and Stryker bros or cousins at least.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

widespread posted:

To be fair, Liu Kang might have pulled a funny and made Johnny and Stryker bros or cousins at least.

Liu Kang: "Ain't I a stinker?"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

widespread posted:

Pre-order for Will Ferrel and John C Reilly skins for Johnny and Stryker.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If you think about it, Liu Kang is just kinda remaking people he barely knows based on memories and assumptions. He spent a couple weeks with these people before dying and becoming a zombie lord, and that probably hosed his brain up real good too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jamesman posted:

If you think about it, Liu Kang is just kinda remaking people he barely knows based on memories and assumptions. He spent a couple weeks with these people before dying and becoming a zombie lord, and that probably hosed his brain up real good too.

He's also a fusion of his evil undead self and his living, still heroic self from the past, and also some of Raiden is in there too, I guess?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rhonne posted:

He's also a fusion of his evil undead self and his living, still heroic self from the past, and also some of Raiden is in there too, I guess?

Probably. Just blame Raiden Liu Kang for anything confusing.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So jonny how you liking your chocolate ice cream?

I don’t like choc-

Yes you do

Yes i do waitwhatthef….

Liu kang is a menace.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
hey so as a kid of the 80s and 90s I grew up with MK1 through 3, of course, but then never played any of them again until MK11. I played it on gamepass several months ago for quite a bit, forgot about it, and then it went on sale on Steam with the ultimate edition for 8 bucks so I got it and I've been playing it a lot lately

I've never been a HUGE fighting game player like some of ya'll (like I don't understand some of the language used, the deeply technical stuff that fighting game fans talk about) but I've enjoyed it enough as a fan

my question is what are the honest criticisms of MK11? I absolutely agree that the Krypt in particular is a total grind, and I also don't care what my dude's sword looks like, etc. I completely agree with what someone said in this thread about it feeling like it was going to have a million microtransactions but then it got changed at the last minute

but as far as gameplay, it's decent. BUT I never played MK10 or anything so I don't know comparisons - so what makes MK11 a bad game, in the thread's opinion? You all obviously know a ton about MK so I'd be interested to know.

also my main is Fujin because he's fun as hell but also Scorpion because I'm a basic bitch player but I can't seem to pull off those combos!!! So I stick to the easier kharacters

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Floodixor posted:

hey so as a kid of the 80s and 90s I grew up with MK1 through 3, of course, but then never played any of them again until MK11. I played it on gamepass several months ago for quite a bit, forgot about it, and then it went on sale on Steam with the ultimate edition for 8 bucks so I got it and I've been playing it a lot lately

I've never been a HUGE fighting game player like some of ya'll (like I don't understand some of the language used, the deeply technical stuff that fighting game fans talk about) but I've enjoyed it enough as a fan

my question is what are the honest criticisms of MK11? I absolutely agree that the Krypt in particular is a total grind, and I also don't care what my dude's sword looks like, etc. I completely agree with what someone said in this thread about it feeling like it was going to have a million microtransactions but then it got changed at the last minute

but as far as gameplay, it's decent. BUT I never played MK10 or anything so I don't know comparisons - so what makes MK11 a bad game, in the thread's opinion? You all obviously know a ton about MK so I'd be interested to know.

also my main is Fujin because he's fun as hell but also Scorpion because I'm a basic bitch player but I can't seem to pull off those combos!!! So I stick to the easier kharacters

my biggest complaint is that it replaced the run button of mkx w/ wavedashing. wavedashing/dashbocking isn't new to mk (mk9 famously had a dashblock that defined the meta), but i don't like how it was done in mk11. in mk11, dash animations aren't standardized so wavedashing isn't either. iirc it has to do with how far the character's left foot goes off the ground when stepping. this means that some characters (fujin) have crazy fast dashes that make them top tier, while others (noob saibot) don't so they're stuck in baby bitch tier

tldr: i think movement in mk11 is wack and i'm glad mk1 is going back to mk9 style dashblocking

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Breakaways. Good riddance.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
was there anything just about the base game of MK11 that really irked people? Like how is MK10 better than MK11 for instance, I guess. I dunno, I like MK11 a lot aside from the krypt grindy bullshit but I don't know a ton about fighting games like you guys do

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

Weirdly, the only mention of Johnny Cage's family is from the old profiles from the first MK. They're kind of a trip to look at 30 years later because they try to make Raiden, Sub-Zero, and Scorpion all mysterious, only for the games to explain or contradict them. Like how Raiden and Sub-Zero are listed as having no relatives.

At the same time, they list the families of Liu, Johnny, and Sonya. Johnny's parents are Robert and Rose Carlton and his sister is Rebecca. He also has an ex-wife named Cindy Ford. None of that has ever been referenced anywhere else. Similarly, Liu Kang has a brother whose whereabouts are unknown (I wonder if that was the original concept for Kung Lao) and Sonya had a twin brother who died.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Floodixor posted:

was there anything just about the base game of MK11 that really irked people? Like how is MK10 better than MK11 for instance, I guess. I dunno, I like MK11 a lot aside from the krypt grindy bullshit but I don't know a ton about fighting games like you guys do

no run button is the big one. run button in mkx allowed for some crazy combo and neutral (the gameplay where neither opponent is at an advantage) moving back and forth

also this is really like personal preference but i think the variations in x were better done than in 11. then they moved to kustom variations and i think that was a terrible idea so mkx all the way

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

At the same time, they list the families of Liu, Johnny, and Sonya. Johnny's parents are Robert and Rose Carlton and his sister is Rebecca. He also has an ex-wife named Cindy Ford. None of that has ever been referenced anywhere else. Similarly, Liu Kang has a brother whose whereabouts are unknown (I wonder if that was the original concept for Kung Lao) and Sonya had a twin brother who died.

I guess that's where they got Liu Kang's brother having his neck snapped in the first movie by Shang Tsung.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Similarly, Liu Kang has a brother whose whereabouts are unknown

He's an accountant in Sacramento

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's also Johnny's self-proclaimed brother Jimmy Cage, shown only in Federation of Martial Arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZ_pfez9fw

Might I remind you that this was an official Mortal Kombat thing.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Floodixor posted:

As someone else mentioned, the movement was definitely the worst part of MK11. Being said, I don't miss the run button at all. The thing I liked the least though was that custom variations allowed for the absolutely most annoying zoner spam you can imagine. Genuinely unfun to play against Skarlet imo and I played Ninja Variant Shang Tsung that could just projectile parry.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I liked 11 the most out of the 9-10-11 run and I liked 9 and 10 a whole hell of a lot. The systems felt the best yet and the guest characters were on point. I dug the towers of time and unlockable customization options. I loved everything about it. Getting the movie actors to reprise their roles was also a pro move.

My hype for MK 1 has tanked a lot because I don’t like tag assist mechanics in fighting games and the guest characters so far don’t appeal to me at all.

I will still buy it and play it but 11 is gonna be a tough act to follow for me personally and the direction they’re leaning with this one doesn’t appeal to me as much.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Floodixor posted:

Casual POV: The MK11 challenge towers didn't do it for me. You could make the AI do them for you... and it just messed with the whole experience. I ended up having the AI play on one monitor, watching Netflix on another. Feels like there was something else about the challenges too that I've blocked from memory. The MK9 tower was hard as gently caress, but the fun kind of difficult. I wanted that again.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 12, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izI9gYmjus8

a few of these make me chuckle and I can already tell I'm going to love these pre-pre-fight interactions.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Liu Kang has supreme god powers and still made himself a boomer

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izI9gYmjus8

a few of these make me chuckle and I can already tell I'm going to love these pre-pre-fight interactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW9HmgvI2Ko

Johnny and Li Mei just trading bad jokes with each other.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 12, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rhonne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW9HmgvI2Ko

Johnny and Li Mei just trading bad jokes with each other.

Ok the dialogue is funny but my reaction to these videos went from “why do they look so awkward” to “oh holy poo poo that’s the load screen that’s dope as hell”

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Floodixor posted:

MK11's recharging, fixed meters were a bit of an issue for people who were more used to the build-and-spend MK9/MKX meters. Since they're gone in MK1, it's probably safe to consider the MK11 meter system a bit of a failed experiment.

You can also point to the stories of serious overwork that came out right before and after MK11 launched. The big part of it that seems to have stuck in the fans' minds is that the gore level in MK11 is so comparatively realistic that a bunch of NRS animators gave themselves PTSD because they had to watch a lot of gory footage as reference material.

Further, MK characters take a lot of work to make, even by comparison to characters from other fighting games, because MK characters all have to have consistent internal bones/organs/gore. An MK game that had fatal blows/fatalities and which gave every character a few dozen different costumes and at least 3 kinds of customizable gear was, in hindsight, always going to be a recipe for developer burnout.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

There's also Johnny's self-proclaimed brother Jimmy Cage, shown only in Federation of Martial Arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZ_pfez9fw

Might I remind you that this was an official Mortal Kombat thing.

You unlocked a memory, and I wish you hadn't.

FoMA was astonishingly bad, even by 2000 standards.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Wanderer posted:

MK11's recharging, fixed meters were a bit of an issue for people who were more used to the build-and-spend MK9/MKX meters. Since they're gone in MK1, it's probably safe to consider the MK11 meter system a bit of a failed experiment.

I think the real problem wasn't the concept, it was splitting the meters into offensive and defensive meters that made them pretty limiting. I think if they had done what SF6 did and made it one meter that you could choose how to spend however you wanted, it might have been better received

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gavok posted:

Now that you mention it, there's an intro between Johnny and Cassie in MK11 where Cassie mentions "Grandma Carleton" told her a really embarrassing story about Johnny as a kid.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wanderer posted:

Now that you mention it, there's an intro between Johnny and Cassie in MK11 where Cassie mentions "Grandma Carleton" told her a really embarrassing story about Johnny as a kid.

He peed his pants ONCE! ONCE!!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
How many times will Liu Kang make Shang Tsung piss his pants due to the new true shaolin god of time being in charge haha what if

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also what if Jedi Quan Chi is made canon