Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
wait what

*looks up 'rock octorok'*

what

Rock octoroks repair your weapons?? And make them better? GAAAAH why am I only learning this now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do they just improve the weapon or can they turn them into the undecayed version?

Edit: If we're spreading weapon tips. You apparently won't see an undecayed version of a weapon in the depths until you break an unfused decayed version of it first.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I wish I knew about how undecayed weapon spawns worked in the depths. Because for the longest time I was just getting basic traveler's and soldier's weapons I never bothered to go out of my way to search out those pillars. It was only near the end of my playthrough that I noticed that it was possible for different weapon tiers to spawn.

I also don't think that it necessarily needs to be an unfused weapon. I know that I fused all of the handful of decayed royal guard weapons I picked up in Hyrule Castle and started finding those in the depths once I began seeking them out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Undecayed depths weapons primer:

Most of the weapons in the depths spawns start out being just generic traveler’s and soldiers weapons

As you use up and destroy better weapons in the overworld, they get entered into rotation in the depths. I’m not sure but they might need to be unfused when you destroy them

Better weapons are region locked. Royal weapons will only show up under the Gerudo highlands, Gerudo weapons will only show up in the desert, forest dwellers only under korok forest. I think knights weapons will show up anywhere else that doesn’t have a regional high tier weapon.

Each phantom warrior is locked to only dispensing one class of weapons. Spear guy will only dispense spears. Claymore guy will only give claymores

Each phantom warrior will have a random chance of traveler weapon, soldier weapon or high tier weapon. I think it’s a 1/3 chance of each but some nerd out there might have more accurate numbers

If you take the weapon, they will replenish at blood moons

I’m not sure but I think if you don’t take a weapon, it will stay the same after the next blood moon. So say you find a guy with a traveler sword and you think it’s weak and leave it. It will be a traveler sword again after the next blood moon. So if you want it to change, use ultra hand to grab and drop it, and then at the next blood moon it’ll reroll for what kind of weapon it’ll be

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 10, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Rock octoroks will not undecay a weapon, they will refresh it back to its original durability and add a random buff, such as attack up, durability up, throw up, defense up, etc. 3 shot Lynel bows can sometimes turn into 5 shot bows, and Vice versa

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can’t get enough ultrahand building and korok delivery missions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cT000tbLzM

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

someone on reddit did a big effortpost with info on the pristine weapons, including maps for specific types

https://www.reddit.com/r/tearsofthekingdom/comments/13uqo9h/everything_you_need_to_know_about_nondecayed/

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, I looked all that up after I finished the game and kind of wish I knew about it sooner, although like I said earlier I think people are still making some guesses about what causes better stuff to start spawning. It would have made my high-end gear more interesting than just having a bunch of Gloom Swords. It's one of the things I wish was more intuitive that you could learn without having to look at an online post.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

I’m not sure but they might need to be unfused when you destroy them

they don’t

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Is there a good source for gloom weapons besides just looking up a map of all the gloom hands and battling through them?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah, I looked all that up after I finished the game and kind of wish I knew about it sooner, although like I said earlier I think people are still making some guesses about what causes better stuff to start spawning. It would have made my high-end gear more interesting than just having a bunch of Gloom Swords. It's one of the things I wish was more intuitive that you could learn without having to look at an online post.

agreed. there's that guy in the basement at lookout landing who goes "all the weapons are corroded now"; if you showed up with a pristine weapon he could be like "whoa" and then give you some line about trying out smashing corroded weapons to find pristine ones.

just some tiny little in-game signpost to get people going in the right direction would be nice

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

road potato posted:

Is there a good source for gloom weapons besides just looking up a map of all the gloom hands and battling through them?

They only drop from gloom hands, I’ve never seen one just laying around.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

drat they’re everywhere too, had no idea there were this many.

Spoilers for their location:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

How many are in the Depths? I only remember seeing them at the leviathan skeletons and at the southern-most tip of the isolated island chain east of Hyrule.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Not that many.

None in the sky.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hmm, seems that the ones in the depths follow a pattern of being story related or where the wild armor set is located. Also the tunic of twilight for some reason.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If y’all didn’t know, this really is the best map ever for the game. Like when you get to a point where you’re just like “gently caress it” where is the drat rubber helmet, this is the best resource. Wanna farm Talos, Hinox, or Lynels? Filter right on down. You can check off shrines you’ve completed to see what you’ve missed to find that last remaining one.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/tears-of-the-kingdom-interactive-map/

Here’s their BOTW version too:

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-interactive-map/?z=1&x=-2528&y=-496

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Seeing the full depths map makes me wish there was a link to the past style dark world with more stuff and people down there.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Not that many.

None in the sky.
Oh, yeah. I guess technically the Deku Tree guts are a part of the Depths. I have literally no memory of them at the Korok Forest entrance or beneath the castle, though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

Oh, yeah. I guess technically the Deku Tree guts are a part of the Depths. I have literally no memory of them at the Korok Forest entrance or beneath the castle, though.

There's definitely one there, because I remember walking in and going "okay we've only see one set of hands down here so far (on tingel islands) so maybe they're not actually down h... God loving dammit" and got chaingrabbed

Very shortly afterwards I killed the one in the Deku Tree using a light dragon scale shield and a light dragon horn blade. If you don't have the legendary hero's sword and shield, store-bought is fine :haw:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Inferior Third Season posted:

the Korok Forest entrance

Adding to what people were talking about on the last few pages, that was the first one I found (went to Lost Woods pretty early on), and it was an amazing introduction to them really. I felt clever for figuring out that you need to go through the depths to reach korok forest, and saw I needed to walk through a huge lake of gloom to get to the area under the Deku tree. I figured I guess I can cross this and then suddenly all these hands come up out of the gloom and start grabbing me, at that point I didn't realize I could fight them so I just ran from them while getting grabbed until I was able to clear the gloom sea and ascend up into Korok Forest. It felt prety thrilling and was I think overall one of the coolest moments I had in the game, glad that I went there before seeing the hands anywhere else and knowing they were just a regular enemy you could beat with a few bomb arrows.
Then maybe due to that experience, it took me a long time to go back there and beat phantom ganon under the deku tree. And of course later when hands/phantom ganon showed up it was just a trivial thing like, guess I will pick up some gloom weapons.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It is really funny to me that these manifestations of Ganondorf's corruption of the world start off as intimidating hazards locking you away from certain areas, and not too long later whenever I see them my brain just goes "free bow!! free bow!!"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

bawk posted:

It is really funny to me that these manifestations of Ganondorf's corruption of the world start off as intimidating hazards locking you away from certain areas, and not too long later whenever I see them my brain just goes "free bow!! free bow!!"

That's what happens when you give a legendary hero easy access to a bunch of explosives.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm really surprised at the number of gloom hands on that overworld map. It's been a while now, but I can only remember three or maybe four encounters in my entire first 100+ hour playthrough, not counting the ones that show up in plot-required areas. Looking at the map, they must've been sitting there seething in frustration a lot of the time as I ran around six inches outside their attack zone yet again.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I’m usually cruising along to fast for the surface hands to even bother spawning

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cartoon Man posted:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Finally deciding to go back and get the last remaining unmissable Monster picture, the endgame boss Demon Dragon. A bit miffed that they're not registered as a Monster by Kilton, so I cant get a statue of them to complete my Ganon display.

Luckily, threw down a Travel Medallion at the last possible location on my first playthrough, so I could go back and skip all the catacombs stuff and straight to the boss fight sequence.

Things that I did this time that I wish I'd done the first time:

- Ignore the Dark Armor Set, and rely on a 10-minute 3-Heart warding meal, with my best available armor (Fully-upgraded Amber Earrings, Champions' Leathers, and Soldier's greaves.)
- Make Sunny Meals that heal exactly as many hearts as they crack gloom hearts. Three Sundelions, 1 Prime Meat and 1 Gourmet Meat worked well for 9 gloom heal, 9 heart heal.
- Multi-shot bow with Dazzlefruit and Puffshrooms pretty much made the Monster Forces battle a cakewalk. Did lose some hearts to gloom attacks early on, because I thought, wrongly, that Majora's Mask would help.
- Master Sword with Silver Lynel Saber horn worked well, though I can't help but wonder if the Scimitar of the Seven with the Silver Lynel Mace Horn would have gone on better. Been primarily saving that for Mounted Lynel fights, but given that you keep everything you take into the endgame fight, I probably should have risked it.
- And of course, Single-shot-bow + Hover Platform Arrow for getting a good headshot from the Demon Dragon. I didn't think it was possible at all to get a good shot the first time, since you can't photo while you're falling, gliding, or climbing, and except when you're on the Demon Dragon itself or at the top of the arena on the Light Dragon, you're typically doing one of those three things. I need to try something similar with the Light Dragon. Probably should have tried it during the fight.

Then I bought the last three Boss Monster shots I missed: Master Khoga, Sludge Like, Seized Construct , completed the Filling Out the Compendium quest, and just need to hunt down all the remaining weapons..if possible. I think the Forest-Dweller's Bow might be permanently missable.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s one if you haven’t opened the chest already.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Been there, opened that, forgot to take a picture.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s some options though you may be grinding Like Likes.

https://game8.co/games/Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom/archives/412501

Sounds like you can save scum the like like if it doesn’t drop.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 12, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think you can get one by following the quest from the guy on top of the deku tree. There's the spear, the sword, and I was pretty sure the last item was the bow. I always go back and grab the spear when mine breaks do I can keep my stalfos killer on me

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I just beat my third temple, taking it nice and slow. This game is so great.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I beat the game in about a month but am just now getting around to finishing all of the shrines. Eight to go. I’m still finding awesome stuff around every corner, just finished Starview Island and loved every second of it. This game is my all-time favorite, it owns bones

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Man I love using this guy's weapon in Hyrule Warriors. The Lv3 version being Bow-Wow the Chain Chomp from Link's Awakening is just so much extra fun too

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin

bawk posted:

I think you can get one by following the quest from the guy on top of the deku tree. There's the spear, the sword, and I was pretty sure the last item was the bow. I always go back and grab the spear when mine breaks do I can keep my stalfos killer on me
You can get purified versions of the korok weapons from ghosts in the depths around the great hyrule forest depths. Same geographic region as the tower. You need to have picked up the weapon first though before it can appear.

I don't really need a dazzlefruit spear, I gathered so drat much of the stuff picking hyrule clean as I clearcut the sky islands looking for chests and koroks.

Its so easy to pull out a dazzlefruit and end a suprise stal encounter instantly. The time delay on the dazzlefruit sword/spear readying after unsheathing was too long for me compared to using the 150ish fruits I have.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bass.exe posted:

You can get purified versions of the korok weapons from ghosts in the depths around the great hyrule forest depths. Same geographic region as the tower. You need to have picked up the weapon first though before it can appear.

I don't really need a dazzlefruit spear, I gathered so drat much of the stuff picking hyrule clean as I clearcut the sky islands looking for chests and koroks.

Its so easy to pull out a dazzlefruit and end a suprise stal encounter instantly. The time delay on the dazzlefruit sword/spear readying after unsheathing was too long for me compared to using the 150ish fruits I have.

Bawkdad was just telling me at supper the other day about the cave full of skeletons he found in the Depths. I told him about the dazzlefruit and if it weren't for the fact that we were watching the second holiest of holy shows-to-watch-while-having-dinner (wheel of fortune) I'm pretty sure he was about to change the input back to the switch right then and there to go try :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so what's the most holy

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I'm gonna guess Jeopardy.

Also, I appreciate this game's permissive approach to sequence breaking. I just finished with the (not-quite-end stuff) Fifth Sage quest. Except I did it almost entirely by accident. I'd found the Spirit Temple a while ago just being thorough about the Depths, and had gotten fed up trying to guess what I had to do to make it open, so I decided to gently caress off, hop a fanplane and see what's in that big storm. Ended up finding the Minimum Hearts Required door, and curiosity finally made me break my stubborn refusal to buy heart containers. (I'd filled my third stamina wheel then just accumulated 72 Lights, and was mostly enjoying playing the "just never get hit lol" version of combat that made healing and armor upgrade materials farming pleasantly irrelevant.) That obviously got me into the temple, etc. I looked up how you're supposed to do the quest later, and apparently learning about the island in the storm is the payoff for the whole Ring Ruins thing? Maybe I'll go back to Karariko and see how weird the dialogue is now that Link is just constantly like "yeah, I know" to everything we learn.

By the way, can the storm be cleared? I'd like to go back and search around more for treasure and stuff, but the ultra-low visibility is super annoying. Makes it hard to tell how many islets there even are, let alone whether I've hit them all.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Kassad posted:

That's what happens when you give a legendary hero easy access to a bunch of explosives.

Ganondorf might be able to shrug off one measly bomb to the face, but can he shrug off ALL of the bombs?

*Proceeds to obliterate the Demon Kings health bar with nothing but a 5-shot Savage Bow and a shitload of Bomb Flowers*

Akratic Method posted:

By the way, can the storm be cleared? I'd like to go back and search around more for treasure and stuff, but the ultra-low visibility is super annoying. Makes it hard to tell how many islets there even are, let alone whether I've hit them all.

If you go back to Kakariko after dealing with Sus Zelda, you can tell the survey team members that they basically got punked and there's no reason to keep the floating ruin locked off anymore. This sets off a questline that ends with you activating a device that turns off the storm - if you're doing things the "correct" way, this is also a giant flaming sign that those islands are where you need to go to finish off the 5th sage stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Ganondorf might be able to shrug off one measly bomb to the face, but can he shrug off ALL of the bombs?

*Proceeds to obliterate the Demon Kings health bar with nothing but a 5-shot Savage Bow and a shitload of Bomb Flowers*

If you go back to Kakariko after dealing with Sus Zelda, you can tell the survey team members that they basically got punked and there's no reason to keep the floating ruin locked off anymore. This sets off a questline that ends with you activating a device that turns off the storm - if you're doing things the "correct" way, this is also a giant flaming sign that those islands are where you need to go to finish off the 5th sage stuff.

Hey, that approach works on real life tanks, so v:v:v Eat tandem warheads, loser!

And thanks! I'll go back and talk to them. I'm glad I don't have to clean up the rest of that island steering by sensor alone. Although full Miner Gear and a variety of sensor targets made it shockingly non-impossible.

Also, now that you tell me this, there's either a weird choice or small bug when you stumble on it like me: when you first get the mask and open the lower doors to follow the beam, the weather is perfectly clear, and then it sort of remembers it was supposed to be stormy if you try to go up and look around to see what was revealed.