Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think turbo appealed to anyone which is why they didn’t market it very well and didn’t make any money. Somehow got a Netflix animated show but I’ll just chalk that up to Netflix being Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sourdough Sam posted:

I forget if Mitchells vs. The Machines does this

It does, it opens with a Katie narration of the in media res scene of them escaping from the robots, then giving an overview of her family and a flashback of her interest in making videos.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t think turbo appealed to anyone which is why they didn’t market it very well and didn’t make any money. Somehow got a Netflix animated show but I’ll just chalk that up to Netflix being Netflix.

it wasn't marketed well but it was marketed to loving hell and back I got sick of seeing the ads.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The best movie in the "animal doing an activity that is ironic for them" genre is Ratatouille I don't think anything comes close.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

mycot posted:

The best movie in the "animal doing an activity that is ironic for them" genre is Ratatouille I don't think anything comes close.

Not that I’m suggesting it is better, but does Kung Fu Panda fall under this genre?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Klungar posted:

Not that I’m suggesting it is better, but does Kung Fu Panda fall under this genre?

Nah, they're more anthromorphic than Remy or Turbo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think that narrator bit is meant to give the movie a bit of a bedtime story feel, especially the adaptations from children's books.

The Lego Batman Movie has fun use of it too.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
my personal favourite touch with HTTYD is that hiccup's left-handed, and whenever he's doing anything throughout the film you get some insight into how he's feeling based on whether he's trying to conform to everyone else's expectations by using his right hand or trying his own thing with his left. super clean conveyance of the central theme of the story with no dialogue that neatly parallels the real-life experiences of a whole lot of left-handed people throughout history

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

HTTYD's score also slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpPIK4T068s

Still gives me goosebumps just listening to this track and imagining the sequence, lol. What a great scene.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
John Powell is incredible and doesn't get recognized enough. I love his scores

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

My wife walked down the aisle at our wedding to Romantic Flight

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Macaluso posted:

John Powell is incredible and doesn't get recognized enough. I love his scores

He’s done the best Disney star war score imo.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

The 7th Guest posted:

I'm excluding Turbo however, it just does not appeal to me in the slightest
yeah but, what if snail was fast

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d guess a big reason for doing movies directed at children would be to make toys from it. So someone looked at a fuckin snail and thought kids would just be falling over themselves to buy one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ungulateman posted:

my personal favourite touch with HTTYD is that hiccup's left-handed, and whenever he's doing anything throughout the film you get some insight into how he's feeling based on whether he's trying to conform to everyone else's expectations by using his right hand or trying his own thing with his left. super clean conveyance of the central theme of the story with no dialogue that neatly parallels the real-life experiences of a whole lot of left-handed people throughout history

Gonna have to watch this again, as I never noticed this. Luckily I have a 2.5 year old, so the opportunity will eventually present itself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

IUG posted:

Gonna have to watch this again, as I never noticed this. Luckily I have a 2.5 year old, so the opportunity will eventually present itself.

I mean you could just watch it anyway. The movie will still work if an adult watches it

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Life is really busy and I have kids and I wish I could spent more time seeing films etc but we bought the new spiderverse movie online I wish I could have seen it in the theatres we saw the first one in theatre. All I really have to say is it’s just one of the best movies I’ve ever seen it was so great the animation was unreal, the story was so good, I loved it

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Life is really busy and I have kids and I wish I could spent more time seeing films etc but we bought the new spiderverse movie online I wish I could have seen it in the theatres we saw the first one in theatre. All I really have to say is it’s just one of the best movies I’ve ever seen it was so great the animation was unreal, the story was so good, I loved it

I've seen it in theaters, and all I could say when I was asked how it was was "Holy gently caress"

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Cassette Moodcore posted:

we bought the new spiderverse movie online I wish I could have seen it in the theatres we saw the first one in theatre
hopefully it will be re-released back into the theaters a little when the sequel comes out

it won't have that first-viewing pizzazz though, I guess

I didn't take the kids to see ATSV because it's a long movie and I wanted to enjoy it without kid potty breaks or kid freakouts. by the time the next one comes out they will probably be grown ups so they can take me to the movie

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think it was with Strange World that I said that the baseline quality of animated films in general has gone up, that even the smaller, shopped-to-streaming films that even just a few years ago were consistent visual nightmares... have made pretty strong leaps in catching up. Fireheart (2022, Hulu) is a good example of this, a film that only has 1700 ratings on Letterboxd compared to even Ruby Gillman (16k ratings). If even films this low on the radar are reaching levels of decency, it's a sign that the big studios can't be complacent.

Fireheart tells the story of Georgia Nolan, a girl who wants to be a fireman born in the wrong era (1920). I gotta say it's a bit cruel of her dad to break her dreams at age 8 by going past "the rules say a girl can't be a fireman" all the way to declaring she'll never become a fireman. I feel like you could just let time take its course and as she gets older and experiences the world she'll understand the unfair barriers in place. It's not like telling someone Santa isn't real. I mean, there's a reason he does it but it still feels a bit needlessly cruel. Anyway, 10 years pass and Georgia is still secretly training to become a fireman, and when her dad gets recruited to unretire as a fire chief, she gets her chance by Mulan-style disguising herself to get on the fire.. squad? Team? Unit? It's a formula we've seen before (especially in live action films) but for a kids film this is a decent enough starting foundation in a relatively novel setting.

One thing I liked about the film was the vibrancy of it. Typically if a film is set in the roaring 20s (or, at least, the very end of it), it's either going to be given the monochrome treatment or heavily desaturated, as if colors didn't exist back then. Fireheart doesn't care about that, and it is, for a lower budget film ($40M)*, kinda pretty. It has absolutely no chance of competing against the big films of 2022 in aesthetic or fidelity but it's also only got 1/5th the budget of Turning Red, and it is more visually appealing than what John Lasseter cooked at Apple (Luck was a $140M project mind you!). There's a shot of Times Square that is almost impossibly colorful and bold, the action cinematography is lively without being too chaotic. Unfortunately, the incidental and side characters don't have the same amount of visual appeal and also don't have as expressive of rigs as Georgia and Ember get to have (and this even includes her father), but they are... okay. Just nothing special. Also the design of the dad, is like if you were to take Rick Mitchell from The Mitchells vs the Machines, and turned the 'cartoony' dial from 10 down to a 5 or 6.

As far as characterization goes, Georgia as a protagonist gets to be a doofus who likes puns and is capable of enduring slapstick, which is put to great use in a scene where she sneaks around trying to eavesdrop on a meeting between her father and the mayor of NYC and keeps eating it on all her attempted stealth stunts. I only wish that the film could have pushed her dorkiness and slapstick endurance further, but once she is incognito the film gets a bit too hung up on dialog and sequences that are not really generated out of characterization so much as plot relevance. Which keeps the characters in the film kind of in stasis, only allowing for mild development along the way and not having any time to slow down and give anyone time to bond. But Georgia is enjoyable enough that she is mostly able to carry the film despite this.

Now, this is a C-tier film and so, there are things that keep it from reaching the level of capital g 'good'. This film earns its 2 full stars' worth of demerits, trust me. When it comes to the humor of the film it's purely visual, as the dialog-based jokes just don't really work and feel too familiar. If you've seen any "what's your name" "oh MY name? uhh it's uhhh" kind of scene, you've seen this one. It's a scene that has a chance of being funny because of Georgia's repeated insistence that she is really strong, as she is constantly for no reason flexing in every shot and just saying "i'm strong i'm a fireman" in the background while other characters are talking... but then when actually addressed by her father and the mayor, the awkwardness of the scene retreats to that 'reheated in the microwave' feeling that you expect from the humor of a smaller lower budget animated film-- and that's pretty much what you can expect for the whole thing.

There are too many characters that drag the film down. Riccardo is that 'poindexter' type that constantly calculates the odds of things and is a scaredy cat, and his character deserved way better writing than that. The mayor is just sort of a generic sleazeball, there's a pickle vendor that is unfunny every time he's on screen (and yes, he comes back again and again). There's a cop whose entire joke is that they sound like Mickey Mouse? And that's it, that's the whole bit? The dog Ember is very expressive and manic but this is a running bit that is over-indulged to death and they can't help but repeat the same 'freeze and fall over' gag when it was only marginally funny the first time... she could've been a cute little animal sidekick but like a lot of jokes and bits in the film, they don't know when to stop.

The villain of the film is legitimately cool and interesting for 2/3rds of the film, with neat visual effects and cool color work at play, but once their identity is revealed, they take on this new bizarre and anachronistic persona that feels completely out-of-film to the point of having a sci-fi outfit and portable amplified keyboard which is not even remotely period accurate (if I'm being GENEROUS, the Hammond organ wasn't even invented until 1935 and it certainly wasn't portable!!). I also think some characters, one of which is pivotal to the plot, get introduced way too late in the story. It's a film that's only 90 minutes long, and with even 10 more minutes they could've have had scenes that made the members of the fire squad more dimensional. We don't get really any insight into anyone beyond the protagonist and her father and that's not great for a film that has a team of 4 characters working together, as well as a villain, and side characters!

I'm not going to say it's a bad film though. I feel like it's pretty watchable and enjoyable even though its attempts at humor are pretty rough. There's some heart in the story and the relationship between Georgia and her father is sweet both on and off the job. The action and chasing sequences are decently directed. But, like a lot of films that don't hit the bigtime, it is significantly held back by middling or just strange elements. Still, we're miles away from the days of Everyone's Hero and The Nut Job, and there are definitely going to be some buried treasures in this decade. 3/5

* it's through looking into this that I learned GDT's Pinocchio was produced on a budget of only $38M which is insane for how good looking that film turned out. Art direction, folks!! It matters!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 13, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sivart13 posted:

yeah but, what if snail was fast

What if fish fly plane
What if snake bicycle
What if short giraffe
What if blue

Hire me, cowards.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

teagone posted:

HTTYD's score also slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpPIK4T068s

Still gives me goosebumps just listening to this track and imagining the sequence, lol. What a great scene.

John Powell is absolutely one of the all-time greatest.
I only need to hear this soundtrack and I can perfectly visualize what happened during the sequence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWEO94mNMk

EDIT: I just spent an hour listening to the score and watching some youtube musicians reaction to it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 13, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the "My name is random objects in the room" gag my favourite version comes from an old College Humour sketch where they're pitching sketches and Katie has apparently totally blanked on coming up with something. The joke is not only how ridiculously long the name goes on (and to the dismay of the other people in the room she then bellows "AND HER SECOND NAME IS!") and starts again with new items, but there are also running gags like whenever she says -dumbass- as part of the name she's staring directly at Reika who of course takes offense (and she says dumbass so angrily that it feels personal every time) but also that's not the punchline, only the setup. The punchline is when Mike tries to tell their editor on Katie not doing her job, and he reveals that she actually did pitch that entire thing to him and he loved it and it is a real sketch idea even though there's no content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-4uXoep_KA

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

BioEnchanted posted:

On the "My name is random objects in the room" gag my favourite version comes from an old College Humour sketch where they're pitching sketches and Katie has apparently totally blanked on coming up with something. The joke is not only how ridiculously long the name goes on (and to the dismay of the other people in the room she then bellows "AND HER SECOND NAME IS!") and starts again with new items, but there are also running gags like whenever she says -dumbass- as part of the name she's staring directly at Reika who of course takes offense (and she says dumbass so angrily that it feels personal every time) but also that's not the punchline, only the setup. The punchline is when Mike tries to tell their editor on Katie not doing her job, and he reveals that she actually did pitch that entire thing to him and he loved it and it is a real sketch idea even though there's no content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-4uXoep_KA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCnwJm1iBo

This probably remains my favorite Family Guy gag of all time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think my favorite version of that gag is in City of Angels, where Nicolas Cage has just become mortal and is trying to explain himself to Meg Ryan, and she asks him what his last name is and he panics and looks around the kitchen and says "...plate", which she doesn't buy at all

And then later when they've fallen in love and are contemplating their life together she smirkingly says they'll be "Mr. and Mrs. Plate"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

I think my favorite version of that gag is in City of Angels, where Nicolas Cage has just become mortal and is trying to explain himself to Meg Ryan, and she asks him what his last name is and he panics and looks around the kitchen and says "...plate", which she doesn't buy at all

And then later when they've fallen in love and are contemplating their life together she smirkingly says they'll be "Mr. and Mrs. Plate"

For some reason I pictured this as Simon Pegg.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The HTTYD cartoon (which takes place between the first and second movies though the films don't acknowledge it at all) is also decent in my opinion, the other two movies are a bit hit and miss in a few areas but watchable overall. There's also a sequel series set in modern day called The Nine Realms which is merely ok.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I got my UN from that gag in the criminally underrated The Wrong Guy.

https://youtu.be/eyXoM-62lX0

Macatt
May 3, 2005
I'd go with Rigby changing his name to Trash Boat in Regular Show just because of how relentlessly every other character mocks him for the entire episode.

"Yes. It's THAT funny."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

What if fish fly plane
What if snake bicycle
What if short giraffe
What if blue

Hire me, cowards.

Well I've seen a peanut stand, heard a rubber band, seen a needle that winked its eye.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you were to look up 'shonen' in the dictionary, you'd probably find Jujutsu Kaisen right at the top of the list. It's got all of the stuff that you'd expect, big splashy fights, supernatural humans wielding immense power, the power of friendship, and plenty of shouting. At least, I assume so, based on the stand-alone prequel film Jujutsu Kaisen 0 (2021, Crunchyroll), based on Volume 0 of the manga, which sets up a character who will become important in the actual show... at some point... in the future (he ain't in it yet). As such, it is possible to go into this as a newcomer, and I did.

Yuta is a sullen, traumatized boy who feels like Shinji without the daddy issues-- at least, in the beginning. He's cursed and haunted by an apparition of his childhood girlfriend who was killed in a car accident, and she has been protecting him from bullying by... well, killing his bullies. Series pretty man Gojo takes interest in Yuta and brings him to Jujutsu High School to make friends and learn how to control his curse, which turns out to be one of the most powerful curses in the world. Meanwhile, a former JHS student and friend of Gojo's, Geto, has gone to essentially the dark side, forming a bit of a cult that wields curses for the purpose of flexing power, and has also taken an interest in Yuta and his unique curse, as he can absorb them into his body.

This, folks, is a brain-off popcorn action film. It's got some great fight animation, creative designs for monsters, an enjoyably campy and sociopathic villain, some fanservice in the form of showing series regulars getting a couple of fun fight moments, and... well that's about it. Maybe it's because they wanted to save a lot of character development for the actual series, or maybe it's because the film feels less like a proper movie and more like 4 episodes of a TV show strung together, but even for a shonen film this feels kind of thin. It cares more about plot and worldbuilding than character growth for sure, and aside from crumbs of Maki and Gojo's backstory, the film is aggressively linear and straightforward. Even though you don't need to watch the show to understand the film, you will immediately recognize when a scene exists solely to provide a fan favorite character from the series an opportunity to do some cool consequence-free fighting, because it's the only time they get a line of dialog in the whole film. Same goes for Geto's underlings who all exist to get maybe one moment to themselves in the big city fight sequence and then their utility ends.

I also have to say that the film starts off on a bad foot by having what feels like the most zany random duo of characters be schoolmates of Yuta: a scarf boy who can only speak in rice ball ingredients, and a literal giant talking panda. Now, these characters DO show up in the main series, so maybe their introduction in the show itself is more seamless, but in the film they're just thrown right at you as soon as the setting shifts to the school. These characters, along with Maki, eventually feel normal especially when you see them in a fight, but because of the film's status as a prequel, you just don't really get much of a sense of their wants and goals, of their regular dynamic. Beyond just, scarf boy is nice, and Panda is a 'big brother' type.

It feels weird to grade this the same as the film I watched last night, which had even more one-dimensional characters and misfiring humor, so I may need to figure out a better criteria system or just accept that the 5 star/10 point system is not flexible enough. But JJ0 is just.. ok. It's an extremely OK film. You get to see some cool supernatural fighting and it's all empty calories. I'm not willing to just accept "Well yeah, it's shonen" as a response because I feel like there's definitely shonen titles with more heart and characterization. I think the nature of being a prequel caused punches to get pulled. But it ultimately didn't intrigue me enough to watch the actual show. 3/5

Unrelated but there's a lot of beef between Demon Slayer fans and Jujutsu Kaisen fans apparently. A single Letterboxd review of JJ0 saying Demon Slayer was mid caused a 128 comment discussion lol

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 13, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
demon slayer is mid, make no mistake

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Oxxidation posted:

demon slayer is mid, make no mistake

It's no Ronin Warriors

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Either my taste is being watered down by the order in which I'm watching films or I'm just finding myself more and more legitimately surprised by smaller-tier CG films, because Rumble (2021) was a breeze of a watch. Another theatrical film that was shuffled to streaming because of the pandemic, Rumble staples a bunch of sports movie cliches together to a giant monster/kaiju setting and it all mostly works fine, sort of a Real Steel for kids. I have not seen Wonder Park, but knowing how disastrous of a production that was, this film has a generic but remarkably sturdy story foundation for a film that has a 2.58 rating on Letterboxd. Like, Luck and Rover Dangerfield have higher ratings than this film?? Sure okay. Again, I'm not concerned with whether the ideas have been done before so much as their execution, because we need to stop grading movies on how many TV Tropes they have in them. That's not addressed at anyone here, just, IDK, the internet??

The small town of Stoker has just crowned a new wrestling champion, Tentacular, but he turns heel and leaves them for the big city, leaving them with the crippling debt that comes from having just built a new stadium. Yup, it's a "we've gotta save the rec center!" kind of sports movie, with a reluctant underdog athlete (Rayburn Jr aka "Steve the Stupendous") having to train up with a rookie coach (Winnie) and rise the ranks to save the town. Like I said, part of the reason this film is so steady is because it's a hodgepodge of sports movie cliches. But I gotta say, towns and cities being ruined with the tax weight of a new stadium is some real poo poo that happens in America all the time, and it keeps happening-- you'll see a new sports stadium get proposed when the existing stadium is only 15-20 years old, it's loving ridiculous. Anyway, you know what's gonna happen in the film, it's not going to surprise you in any way, but, it's fine. It is unambitious, but it doesn't leave me scratching my head at story decisions like other films I've seen this year. It's maybe not a movie-grade story (like my criticism of Strange World), but, it isn't offensive or baffling.

Because the film is about giant monster wrestling, it means we get a real cavalcade of fun wrestler designs, and there are quite a few, from the illegal monster fighting club in Pittsmore (which is ironically the only wrestling in the film that is scripted in-universe) and its owner Lady Mayhen, to the lower-ranked monsters that Steve/Rayburn Jr learns the ropes against. Oddly, the weakest monster design in the film is... Steve himself. He's oddly unremarkable and they tried to humanize his (and his dad's) face too much and it just looks weird the entire film. Like they weren't allowed to have fun with his design because he was such a major character, or something. I don't know the film's budget (and we may never be told it, like a lot of streamer original films), but it's decent enough, lit well and with rigs that are pretty expressive. And like other films I've reviewed this month, some of the human side characters don't have that same level of expression as the main character (Winnie). The cinematography is pretty solid for all of the wrestling and allowing it to have that majestic feel of these big-rear end stadium-height creatures slamming around. Sometimes that gets lost a LITTLE bit when they focus on too many back-to-back shots inside the ring, but there are enough moments of their chaos impacting their surroundings that the scale of the fight is mostly maintained. The scale of the setting is contrasted a bit, however, by somewhat hollow feeling backdrops. Kind of like Next-Gen, it feels like whatever is outside of the range of the camera might not exist, as the town of Stoker is primarily defined by a single main street, and the city of Slithermore is essentially one location with a skyline used for a quiet moment at the end of act 2.

I don't love the humor in the film. Will Arnett plays Steve and he's basically playing the character exactly as you'd expect Will Arnett to play a character, basically his Bojack performance but without the drugs, alcohol or depression. It results in some of that "are we really doing this? we're doing this" kind of dialog humor that I don't care for. Maybe I'm just really hard to please when it comes to humor in animated films because not loving the humor of an animated film has been a recurring theme for me. That said there was one moment that killed me which was when a montage of TV coverage of Steve included a high school morning news broadcast with extremely authentic poor presentation. There were also a few moments here and there that got a smile from me, where it's like, okay yeah the artists got to have a little fun now and again (a bartender sliding mechanically down and up at two points in the film, for example, Clone High-style). There's also occasionally a bit of overacting, or times where the ADR doesn't perfectly fit the lip sync, but I also think my issues with Steve's design biased me a little on that.

I haven't talked much about Winnie but she's another charismatic lead with a lot of passion and, she's nothing new as far as that type of protagonist goes, but she's fun. She's deeply invested in her town and in wrestling. Her dad (Jimbo Coyle) and his monster (Rayburn Sr) were lost at sea in the setup of the film, and though you might think that's vague enough that he might somehow show up in the story, it never happens, and maybe it's for the better that he doesn't. His protege assistant coach, Siggy, is someone who bails on Stoker with Tentacular, and I do wish we got to see a bit more actual character development from him, because his motivation for wanting to step outside of his mentor's legacy is understandable, but he is bizarrely emotionless about the fate of Stoker, and about Winnie. I think maybe they could have pushed a more bitter arc on him that would fit better with that lack of concern, but Siggy ultimately ends up being a pretty tiny character in the film, and I don't just mean in comparison to the monsters!!!! HEYO!!!!! Also, there are a couple of moments where Steve nearly has a panic attack and it's extremely underdeveloped. I kind of think that quiet moment in Slitherville between Steve and Winnie might have been a good opportunity to go into why Steve has this anxiety, whether Steve's issues with his father Rayburn Sr go beyond just "I'll never be as good as him", because I think that next gear of characterization is something that's definitely holding Rumble back from being a truly good film. It leaves the characters as little more than the archetypes that they sprung up from.

Ultimately Rumble does manage to punch above its weight class with some fun designs and even-handed direction, even if it is highly derivative in a lot of ways, and some of its humor doesn't land. Definitely not as bad as I was led to believe by critical and internet scoring. It's like buying some comfort food from your local diner, you know what to expect but it'll go down easy. WWE Studios managed to not ruin one! There aren't even a ton of wrestlers in the voice cast, aside from Roman Reigns in one scene of the film and Becky Lynch in another. I'll let you decide if that's a dealbreaker or not.

Characterization: 3/5
Art Direction: 3.75/5
Sound Design: 3.5/5
Pacing: 4/5
Story: 3.25/5

Final Score: 3.5/5

^^ these may not be the final criteria categories I use but I'm rolling with them for now. for me, 2.5 out of 5 is basically 'mid', and 4 is 'good', so anything between those two numbers is basically in that 'not bad' to 'pretty decent' range. i also tend to grade story, pacing and characterization on whether i get Brain Itches while watching and end up being taken out of the experience, because I'm busy thinking of how I'd do something differently while the movie's still playing. can also happen if the humor is really obnoxious in a film or not. maybe i should add humor as a category in the future, idk.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 14, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's often a problem with movies about monsters and weirdos that the main protagonist is the least interesting design in the entire cast; presumably to be more 'safe' or 'relatable' with worries that making them too 'weird' will turn off audiences. See also the need to have a human POV character. And to be fair, I think it's a legit worry, especially when a more exotic design is likely to be divisive, difficult to animate and/or merchandise. Heh, Sonic the Hedgehog movie coming to mind for some reason.

Of course, I think some of the best designs are then the ones that stand out in a different way, making the protagonist creature all the more interesting while also letting them have a more conventionally appealing design. Toothless is a big one, with a mix of dog, cat, and Stitch mannerisms on a body that's literally 'What if we designed a stealth fighter plane that happened to be a dragon' and actually looks probably the least like a 'traditional' dragon, and yet that works even better; Toothless is unusual among dragons, and Hiccup is unusual among vikings, even not getting into their disabilities.

And on the other side, Monsters Inc. hedges its bets a bit with two main protagonists whose designs contrast in every way, and are clearly workshopped to be an ideal double act. The little guy with the big personality and the big guy who mostly follows his lead. Sully I think is basically a walking showoff of their advances in animating fur, but he also IMO is a really good design for someone who is a genuinely terrifying scary monster when he wants to be, while also being a big gentle furball when off the clock. Literally. He's got the silhouette of a huge monster, somewhere between a bear and a bull, but with his arms down he looks like he'd fit right in on Sesame Street. He looks less out there than most of the side monsters, but he's not uninteresting in design and characterisation.

I don't think you've gotten to Monsters vs Aliens yet. I found that one dumb fun and a great watch in 3D, even if there's not much to it. And that kinda threads the needle by having the viewpoint protagonist be the token human- one turned into a 49'11" giant, though. Which is not a bad way to do it, and not just alludes to a classic movie but makes her stand out as someone who faces being a 'monster' from a different perspective than the rest.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 14, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I have a soft spot for Monsters vs Aliens. It’s fun but I guess the main protagonist being a giant blonde woman didn’t really gel with audiences enough to get a sequel? Maybe just too generic looking in general? The monsters had some good designs and voice work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It didn't get a sequel due to poor international performance despite strong domestic returns, although I suspect they just hosed the global marketing campaign.

(Although when I say poor international performance it seems like it might've performed decently but didn't break into specific markets or demographics they were hoping for.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 14, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Invalid Validation posted:

I have a soft spot for Monsters vs Aliens. It’s fun but I guess the main protagonist being a giant blonde woman didn’t really gel with audiences enough to get a sequel? Maybe just too generic looking in general? The monsters had some good designs and voice work.

It got a sequel tv series apparently.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mutant mayhem was a blast. I'm not a big turtle head or anything but this was the most I've enjoyed just watching and listening to the individual brothers chatter and play off each other. and i loved how ugly almost all the human characters were, reminded me of rango and helps the mutants appropriately feel less out of place in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I tried to watch the Recobbled Cut of Thief and the Cobbler, but I found myself being forced to bail before finishing due to motion sickness - again. I've seen a lot of screwy perspectives and rapid-moving animation, but for some reason this movie is one of the few that made me physically ill (the only other thing I remember making me that sick is the demo of Balan's Wonderworld)