Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Jake Gittes posted:

Child dies en route to Chicago as part of Gov. Abbott's migrant busing program https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/migrant-bus-child-death-18292369.php

Can't wait to see how Greg explains this one away.

"Children die all the time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Sab0921 posted:

I got nothing to add other than Danny Amendola 1.0, Wes Welker - lives in Montrose

The Super Bowl Champion best known for dropping acid at the Kentucky Derby lives in Montrose?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

far west Texas is very pretty and I had a nice time in Marfa, sounds like y'all have personal problems

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I stayed at an old hotel in ft Davis and hung out with a cat the whole time. that was the best part

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

houston ftw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:hmmno:

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Any rural area in Texas is terrible because it is filled with Trump worshippers.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Jesus III posted:

Any rural area in Texas is terrible because it is filled with Trump worshippers.

I'm still surprised he was able to leverage a reality TV career where he played (or, just existed as) a mean rich person into the a successful run at the office of the POTUS.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the most famous politician in the planet played the president on the teevee

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I've seen a few friends who recently moved to Austin sharing this. They aren't strong enough in their Texas geography to realize it's more San Antonio-centric anti-Austin-taco propoaganda. (According to this map, New Braunfels and Boerne have better tacos than Austin!)

It is right about the Metroplex, though.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

LanceHunter posted:

I have several gas stations that beg to differ with you.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

i'll fight u

but only ironically, not literally

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

LanceHunter posted:

I've seen a few friends who recently moved to Austin sharing this. They aren't strong enough in their Texas geography to realize it's more San Antonio-centric anti-Austin-taco propoaganda. (According to this map, New Braunfels and Boerne have better tacos than Austin!)

an out of state person moved to Austin and now has state-wide takes u don't say

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i saw that map on fb and thought it was too lovely to even rehost and post. all tacos are beautiful (except torchy's)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
B-b-but Dallas has Taco Bueno! which makes Taco Bell look like authentic fine dining

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I won't let anyone ever besmirch taco bell. Is it a fancy street taco? No. Is it really good and like two dollars? yes.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
that map does inadvertently illustrate one point I've always had about Houston (and SE Texas as a whole) in that we have this weird mix of Texas/Cajun/Creole/Mexican/Gulf Coast culture that doesn't exist anywhere else in the state. (and that's not even counting all the diverse cultures that have a diaspora here)

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% Texas; but culturally I feel more similar to folks in Louisiana and the gulf coast than I do anywhere else in the state.

Jake Gittes fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 12, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

where's my vietnamese-nigerian fusion restaurant

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

i say swears online posted:

where's my vietnamese-nigerian fusion restaurant

In Houston. Like all the other good food in the state.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I'll be the first to admit we go way too hard with the fusion poo poo

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jake Gittes posted:

:mods:

e: the one thing that Dallas has is Viet/Mexican street food fusion.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

taco bell is good for fast food but it's not what i eat if i want tacos. i eat taco bell when i want the flavor profile that can only be obtained, at taco bell.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

tecnocrat posted:

I have several gas stations that beg to differ with you.

Allsup's doesn't count

e: Taco Bueno is equal or better than Taco Bell; I have fond memories of eating muchaco platters when we first got married and could both eat for under $10. One opened in Baytown but the pandemic killed it.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

lobster shirt posted:

the flavor profile ... at taco bell.

diarrhea

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Jake Gittes posted:

Chi'lantro tastes good but I'm pretty sure I became violently ill the last 2/3 times I've had it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Sardonik posted:

Chi'lantro tastes good but I'm pretty sure I became violently ill the last 2/3 times I've had it.

never got sick from chilantro. maybe i should start.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friend's wedding and 40th birthday a decade later were catered by them, pretty great both times

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arcella posted:

Allsup's doesn't count

e: Taco Bueno is equal or better than Taco Bell; I have fond memories of eating muchaco platters when we first got married and could both eat for under $10. One opened in Baytown but the pandemic killed it.

Bueno was way way better in the 90's/00's, the queso was actual queso not the ballpark queso at Taco Bell (both are good). It's much worse these days.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Taco Burno of the last 10 years is so bad I wouldn't even wish it upon out of staters.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
One tex-mex thing I've always had as an option growing up was cheese tacos/enchiladas but apparently thats not a very common (dallas only?) thing? Was I just surrounded with a very specific kind of texmex?

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
cheese enchiladas are a thing but I don't think I've heard of a cheese taco

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I’ve seen cheese enchiladas plenty of times in San Antonio, but “cheese taco” is just what my three year old says when he wants a quesadilla

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

drat i could go fora cheese enchilada

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

suizas best enchilada

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
too many buoys making the right unnavigable imo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
guisada is king, sorry everything else.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Captain Monkey posted:

guisada is king, sorry everything else.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Food chat and all, I know, but did anybody else see the story about the prison guard that's suing because she went into labor and was refused to go the hospital? She miscarried and the is filing a suit. The state apparently wants to claim the fetus didn't have human rights.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/08/11/texas-prison-lawsuit-fetal-rights/

I could put in a more effort post but I wondered if it even crossed anybody's radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've seen it a few times. Eagerly awaiting the ruling saying that fetuses only have rights if they are unwanted.