Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Kaboobi posted:

looks like you're also going to need a mere 24,000 crab claws too so

Lol what

I'd been tossing dice into the well instead of claws, so rip me I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Atoramos posted:

Lol what

I'd been tossing dice into the well instead of claws, so rip me I guess

at least working through the corn of interest quests gives you like, 4000 of them or so in the bags

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Genericide posted:

Dammit, wish I'd thought of that before they patched it

I've been trying to think of what this trick is. What special thing happens at the reset? It can't be wood/stone or even antlers. Those drop at other times too. Is it slaughtering cows and trying to MM leather using mushroom soup or something?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

NFX posted:

I've been trying to think of what this trick is. What special thing happens at the reset? It can't be wood/stone or even antlers. Those drop at other times too. Is it slaughtering cows and trying to MM leather using mushroom soup or something?

It was grape juice, you could triple cookie and then get two days worth from it.

Irony has it, that night was the first time I was gonna go for it.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

NFX posted:

You would use the triple harvest cookies (or stack all three) and then use all your GJ on crops right before reset and then right after reset which would give you a buttload of regular crops (like 600 for each harvest, 18k-ish total) and like 2000 of the event special drops.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

NFX posted:

Yea. The special thing that happens(ed) at reset (exactly at 12:00 server time) was your GJ uses refilled.

Most foods, including cookies, last for 5 minutes. Since cookies are valuable - about 30 gold each - people would eat them so the duration straddled the reset:

- 11:57: eat cookies
- 11:57 - 11:59: use all daily GJ
- 12:00: get replenished GJ
- 12:00 - 12:02: use all daily GJ
- 12:02: effect ends

In this way you’re getting double the mileage out of the cookies. Like let’s say you’re farming some crop and you have all the perks and 48 crop slots and 18 GJ uses per day. You could get 18 GJ * 2 days * 48 slots * 1.4 harvest bonus * 1.1 mush stew bonus * 9 cookie multiplier = 24k crops.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah thanks I got it now :p

I think I blanked on GJ because I never think about using it so soon after the reset. Planting one too many rounds of crops and then being stuck for 24 hours growing beets would suck (as would digging them up, if they are mega seeds). On the other hand, I've never actually had that happen.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

NFX posted:

Yeah thanks I got it now :p

I think I blanked on GJ because I never think about using it so soon after the reset. Planting one too many rounds of crops and then being stuck for 24 hours growing beets would suck (as would digging them up, if they are mega seeds). On the other hand, I've never actually had that happen.

A fix that would have been a lot more useful would to have made a recipe for cookies that people could just use without worrying about the sunk cost of waiting for another event, but why make something useful when you can just artificially inflate the market and item costs for quests instead. From what I can tell, the events are not designed for people to complete unless you stuff a ton of time into active play and are at the top of the tower. So I'm just going to ignore that they exist as the Temple chains have a bunch of random cheaper stuff as rewards until deep into the list anyway.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Jhet posted:

A fix that would have been a lot more useful would to have made a recipe for cookies that people could just use without worrying about the sunk cost of waiting for another event, but why make something useful when you can just artificially inflate the market and item costs for quests instead. From what I can tell, the events are not designed for people to complete unless you stuff a ton of time into active play and are at the top of the tower. So I'm just going to ignore that they exist as the Temple chains have a bunch of random cheaper stuff as rewards until deep into the list anyway.

Cookies are still pretty useful, you just can’t eek out two GJ cycles out of them anymore. And I can see why that existing but only being available at reset sucked: not everybody can or wants to stay up to a specific time to take advantage of an unintended mechanic.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think foods being time based rather than action based was a bad decision from the start and this just seems to be them doubling down on this and unlikely to ever change away from being time based.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

That said, is it 18 uses after every single upgrade or only 14? Someone here said 18 but I only have 7 before the Tower artifact.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ruggan posted:

not everybody can or wants to stay up to a specific time to take advantage of an unintended mechanic.

On the other hand is euros rarely get to do trivia (ok, whatever) and the other day the server reset was partially stuck for most of the day :mad:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dang I should've been abusing that like nobody's business since reset is 5pm for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I didn’t even think about it and I’m up every nice since it’s 10pm for me lol

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ghostlight posted:

Dang I should've been abusing that like nobody's business since reset is 5pm for me.

Yeah, doing a couple times to speed up crop GMs and helping with hot potatoes was nice… but at 100g a pop I definitely didn’t do it THAT often.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ruggan posted:

Cookies are still pretty useful, you just can’t eek out two GJ cycles out of them anymore. And I can see why that existing but only being available at reset sucked: not everybody can or wants to stay up to a specific time to take advantage of an unintended mechanic.

Cookies are very useful. Which is why them being available only in limited quantity is not awesome and why it's "game breaking" for them to be used in such a way. The problem is the same in a lot of games like this. Add a limited time extra powerful item in limited quantity. Somehow the utility and price of the item is then very high and it can be used to create an imbalance in the economy of the game. A different solution (and one that will annoy fewer people), would be to add a recipe to craft cookies of some sort. Then you don't have to engineer a technical solution to a problem caused by artificial scarcity.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

i like the bear

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

widespread posted:

That said, is it 18 uses after every single upgrade or only 14? Someone here said 18 but I only have 7 before the Tower artifact.

I’m T199 and only have 14 uses.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Being in the beta patreon adds uses.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Jhet posted:

Cookies are very useful. Which is why them being available only in limited quantity is not awesome and why it's "game breaking" for them to be used in such a way. The problem is the same in a lot of games like this. Add a limited time extra powerful item in limited quantity. Somehow the utility and price of the item is then very high and it can be used to create an imbalance in the economy of the game. A different solution (and one that will annoy fewer people), would be to add a recipe to craft cookies of some sort. Then you don't have to engineer a technical solution to a problem caused by artificial scarcity.

Mostly agree with you, but should note that cookies are now drip fed into the economy via House of Cards. IIRC they are 3 of the 13 available daily purchases. So you basically have a quarter of the playerbase getting the opportunity to buy a cookie from HOC each day.

Between that and help requests, everyone should get a fair number available to them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ruggan posted:

Mostly agree with you, but should note that cookies are now drip fed into the economy via House of Cards. IIRC they are 3 of the 13 available daily purchases. So you basically have a quarter of the playerbase getting the opportunity to buy a cookie from HOC each day.

Between that and help requests, everyone should get a fair number available to them.

It is useful that some people can access them, but it's unfortunate that they're either events or locked behind that quest chain and are fairly expensive in trade. It's not the worst one I've done, but it's also not the most simple/fast either with a bunch of stuff being time locked with the well (or Cecil that greedy fool). Locking the cookies behind such a thing is better, but still is going to be a long climb for something useful.

Honestly, just add fertilizer to the game as a recipe already. We're already drowning in cows and chickens, right?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Buddies TP quests aren’t nearly as demanding as last year and you get 1 of each cookie and 550 yellow watermelons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

koshmar posted:

Buddies TP quests aren’t nearly as demanding as last year and you get 1 of each cookie and 550 yellow watermelons.

Yeah it doesn’t seem bad tbh

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I do wonder if he's gonna ask for more than 500 TP. As it turns out, golly I need to farm the gently caress out of feathers at my current inventory cap of 2964.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

widespread posted:

I do wonder if he's gonna ask for more than 500 TP. As it turns out, golly I need to farm the gently caress out of feathers at my current inventory cap of 2964.

So far it’s only 500 at once lol but multiple times obviously

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I did a quick check on my completed requests and it looks like a total of 3000 TP is needed for the whole chain.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The feathers has been working out ok since I’m farming purple flowers and ferns at the same time.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I just hit 10k inventory today!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not a big fan of how my mailbox now complains that it's full when in actuality it is 20% full and 130% lemons and apple ciders from townsfolk.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lol, every second time I check your mail box it’s like 125/90

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I've been under the impression that townsfolk items don't count against your mailbox limit. Is that not the case or is this a side affect of the changes?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

koshmar posted:

I've been under the impression that townsfolk items don't count against your mailbox limit. Is that not the case or is this a side affect of the changes?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

IIRC villagers could just put items in your mailbox past the cap, the items themselves still count towards it.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
Finally got off my arse and mastered enough to climb 7 tower levels to 100. The inventory feels good, man.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Spin Wheel: Free
(spin was free)

thx

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I forgot watermelons are in the temple of reward :downs:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

finally got my chicken raptor

andy_social
Oct 29, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

finally got my chicken raptor

I'm feel like I'm close. I just had one generate at 10 power who is currently 19-556 at 12 power.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I forgot watermelons are in the temple of reward :downs:

I shoved 8,000 in there because I was maxed out already.

Then yesterday Buddy has a new quest that requires 4,000. Getting pretty sick of "Max out your inventory of an item so you can get a different item!" followed by "Here's a new use for that item you threw out two weeks ago!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andy_social
Oct 29, 2008

andy_social posted:

I'm feel like I'm close. I just had one generate at 10 power who is currently 19-556 at 12 power.

The dream ended at 100-900.