Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
We had a mouse in the pantry briefly. Then we had a dead mouse and a happy cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
is the cat for rent

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
It's a bit pricey but my wife and I swear by the owlet sock+camera. Used it for about a year and it absolutely paid for itself in peace of mind.

Nth-ing shifts. I set up shop in the office with the bassinet and just zoned out in FFXIV while wife slept.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Has anyone looked into this PACT Act stuff at all?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Just enough to know that I'm not broken enough to get anything now.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
https://www.va.gov/resources/the-pa...oBoCXQ4QAvD_BwE (The website for more info)

From what I understand the website had issues at the last cut off date so the new cut off date is 8/14 (Monday). Note that the "cutoff" is only to get a years worth of backpay if you get a percentage from it. You can still file after 8/14 but you would only get backpay from the date you submitted. You can also file an intent to file if you aren't completely prepared to file I guess? You can do it just by starting the claim process:

quote:

How should I submit an intent to file for a PACT Act disability claim?
The best way to submit an intent to file today and save your effective date for benefits is to start filing your disability claim online. When you start your claim, it automatically notifies us of your intent to file.

If you submit your intent to file by 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, August 14, 2023, you may receive benefits backdated to August 10, 2022.

Note: Due to high volume, some Veterans and survivors are receiving error messages when submitting their intent to file PACT Act claims. If you received one of these messages, don’t worry! We have logged your intent to file and saved your effective date for benefits.

As for the new presumptive conditions, Gulf War and GWOT are:

quote:

We’ve added more than 20 burn pit and other toxic exposure presumptive conditions based on the PACT Act. This change expands benefits for Gulf War era and post-9/11 Veterans.

These cancers are now presumptive:

Brain cancer
Gastrointestinal cancer of any type
Glioblastoma
Head cancer of any type
Kidney cancer
Lymphoma of any type
Melanoma
Neck cancer of any type
Pancreatic cancer
Reproductive cancer of any type
Respiratory (breathing-related) cancer of any type
Learn more about presumptive cancers related to burn pits

These illnesses are now presumptive:

Asthma that was diagnosed after service
Chronic bronchitis
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Chronic rhinitis
Chronic sinusitis
Constrictive bronchiolitis or obliterative bronchiolitis
Emphysema
Granulomatous disease
Interstitial lung disease (ILD)
Pleuritis
Pulmonary fibrosis
Sarcoidosis

If any of that poo poo effects you get on this.

Vietnam vets also get some new presumptive conditions as well:

quote:

Based on the PACT Act, we’ve added 2 new Agent Orange presumptive conditions:

High blood pressure (also called hypertension)
Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS)

This is the full website for presumptive conditions, remember the pact act is just adding some, there was already a list of stuff: https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/hazardous-materials-exposure/

Even the Camp Legeune marines get something.

quote:

Both of these descriptions must be true:

You served at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River, North Carolina, for at least 30 days total between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987, and
You didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge when you separated from the military
And you must have a diagnosis of 1 or more of these presumptive conditions:

Adult leukemia
Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
Bladder cancer
Kidney cancer
Liver cancer
Multiple myeloma
Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
Parkinson’s disease

Anyway, see the websites I posted for more info.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
None of this really matters if you are already 100% P&T, right?

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

None of this really matters if you are already 100% P&T, right?

My understanding is that if you are already at 100% then it only makes a difference to your beneficiaries when you die. If you die of a PACT act related illness that wasn't part of your 100% then it may be harder for your beneficiaries to get death benefits.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Always load up your disability dossier. You don't win until you fill out the pokedex.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wrong Theory posted:

https://www.va.gov/resources/the-pa...oBoCXQ4QAvD_BwE (The website for more info)

From what I understand the website had issues at the last cut off date so the new cut off date is 8/14 (Monday). Note that the "cutoff" is only to get a years worth of backpay if you get a percentage from it. You can still file after 8/14 but you would only get backpay from the date you submitted. You can also file an intent to file if you aren't completely prepared to file I guess? You can do it just by starting the claim process:

As for the new presumptive conditions, Gulf War and GWOT are:

If any of that poo poo effects you get on this.

Vietnam vets also get some new presumptive conditions as well:

This is the full website for presumptive conditions, remember the pact act is just adding some, there was already a list of stuff: https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/hazardous-materials-exposure/

Even the Camp Legeune marines get something.

Anyway, see the websites I posted for more info.

Where do I start? I already submitted a claim and got 50% and idk if they assumed my lungs and poo poo were working.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Wasabi the J posted:

Where do I start? I already submitted a claim and got 50% and idk if they assumed my lungs and poo poo were working.

I apologize but I am not that guy. If anyone knows better, please chime in. It seems like you should get your intent to file by starting the process on the first link I posted. That secures your date for back pay at least. After that I would go talk to a VSO. I don't know the process of evaluation for this.

I do recommend everyone check out the original list of presumptive conditions: https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/hazardous-materials-exposure/ (Note: I don't believe the original list is eligible for the back pay, I think it is just the new stuff, I could be wrong!)

I had no idea it existed but there are some conditions under the OEF page that I could probably argue for. Been seen at the VA for over 6 months for joint pain. The VA has known I have gastrointestinal issues for like a decade now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wasabi the J posted:

If you have something PACT related that is not already claimed, go to the VA website and put in an intent to file. From there get with your VSO or whoever you're working with to buildup your actual claim and submit it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Anyone got a to-do list for Montreal?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Depends what you feel like doing, are you there with kids? By yourself? With the wife?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Anyone got a to-do list for Montreal?

The only thing I know about Montreal is that Ray Gillete was a big fan of their man-whores.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm planning on visiting the Bay of Fundy is October, but I don't want to go all the way around to the east side of the bay, since it's going to be a day trip from Maine. Any recommendations for tide watching spots and or places to eat either on the west or north side of the bay?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only thing I know about Montreal is that Ray Gillete was a big fan of their man-whores.

I know an Archer joke when I see one.

I know Joes Beef because of Bourdain. I can definitely walk the city.

A.o.D. posted:

I'm planning on visiting the Bay of Fundy is October, but I don't want to go all the way around to the east side of the bay, since it's going to be a day trip from Maine. Any recommendations for tide watching spots and or places to eat either on the west or north side of the bay?

Checking out the 20 feet of tide is actually on my bucket list.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 23, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
50 feet, depending where at in the bay you visit.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

50 feet, depending where at in the bay you visit.

Fuckin A.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I ordered a $70 cake for my wife’s birthday and the business asked for a tip

What is going on with this poo poo lol

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My new rule is I will never tip to a machine because gently caress you management can track that and line their pockets with it. I'll only ever tip in cash, to someone doing the actual job, not increase some management rear end in a top hat's daily metrics. If something electronic asks me for a tip it's a zero.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
It’s really not hard to track cash tips either, fyi

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How does that work? I figured cash tips go in the employees pocket and aren't talked about afterwards.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

bird food bathtub posted:

How does that work? I figured cash tips go in the employees pocket and aren't talked about afterwards.

they get counted up at the end of the shift to divide between the staff. If management is doing everything by the book this total is tracked and skimming by anyone is some kind of fraud or theft. In an ideal scenario, however [not legal advice goes here]

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Here's your reminder that yearly wage theft compared to every other form of theft by $ amount in the US is like comparing the US military to everyone else's.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Any employee who can get tips is expected to pay taxes on earnings. Back in CA it was calculated that you earned 8% on your sales as a server so you’d be autodocced the taxes. So if you were tipped in cash you’d only claim 8% but CC tips were reported and taxed at the high amount.
Getting stiffed would actually hurt! They never took that in account.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

US Berder Patrol posted:

they get counted up at the end of the shift to divide between the staff. If management is doing everything by the book this total is tracked and skimming by anyone is some kind of fraud or theft. In an ideal scenario, however [not legal advice goes here]

I have not known one person who didn't kite tips that wasn't an actor.

E: Minimum wage in PA is, and has been for as long as I've been of employment age is 2.83. I turn 40 in 4 months.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 24, 2023

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I have not known one person who didn't kite tips that wasn't an actor.

E: Minimum wage in PA is, and has been for as long as I've been of employment age is 2.83. I turn 40 in 4 months.

Yeah minimum wage for tipped positions is some sick poo poo, this country is a wreck for working people. I bussed and ran trays in high school and prefer to tip in cash whenever possible

even counter serve places, they're still putting up with the worst people all day, kick em down a handful of silver or a couple bucks if you've got it on you

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Any employee who can get tips is expected to pay taxes on earnings. Back in CA it was calculated that you earned 8% on your sales as a server so you’d be autodocced the taxes. So if you were tipped in cash you’d only claim 8% but CC tips were reported and taxed at the high amount.
Getting stiffed would actually hurt! They never took that in account.

I used to be a pizza delivery boy in CA and I never declared any of my tips.

Tipping as a concept is dumb and weird after you think about it for longer than a second. You’re basically subsidizing the restaurant for not paying a more equitable wage to its staff, and I say this as someone who is a very generous tipper.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My one aside on tipping is one of my friends bartended for years, and had tens of thousands of dollars saved up for the down payment on a house. Like 1/4 the asking price. Multiple banks denied their mortgage application because they couldn't show proof of adequate income because they hadn't declared $1500/wk of tips.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hey i want to experiment with a mole sauce but i don't know where to start can someone helpo me out here

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

hey i want to experiment with a mole sauce but i don't know where to start can someone helpo me out here

Do they sell it in your local stores? Also try its cousin pipin sauce at the same time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sell? I want to make one

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This one is decent as a starting point.

And if you're adventurous, some more.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Aardvark posted:

This one is decent as a starting point.

And if you're adventurous, some more.

Ily <3

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Sup guys.
Today I had to tell my mom she has an inoperable brain tumor and won't see next year. How was your weekend?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Sorry dude.

My dad collapsed at home, and struck his head causing a brain bleed. Emergency surgery saved him.

So about as horrible as yours.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I guess I'll call my parents then, fine.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:smith: sorry dudes, that's awful on both fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
sending vibrations of empathy and love to your locations, guys