Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

For context that poster has promoting and defending a FD Signifier video in the thread so the reveal that it was all a reverse whiteknight (black knight?) scheme is a hilarious twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i only know of the united states as the annoying guy who posted youtube links to clickbait to prove a point... i dont know what the point was maybe it was nintendo is bad

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

they posted a ton in the AoT thread being a dipshit as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never watched f d signifier so I don't know what that means, it was just funny that he went straight to "AOT is pro genocide propaganda" and then that wrinkle about him got revealed

E: oh poo poo lol I remember him posting the exact same poo poo in the aot thread way back too, including that dumb meme image

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ibram Gaunt posted:

however the online creators thread is one of the worst threads on the forums so frankly they deserve to deal with him

Online creators is not so bad anymore, like, it used to be hella bad to the point people would joke about it in thread (the thread title was "0 days since the last meltdown" at one point), but for some reason it has chilled out. Either the most aggro posters have been banned for other things on the forums, or people finally got tired talking about random Youtubers getting cancelled.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

they were one of the people pushing that completely made up kotaku arguing point that AoT is fascist because

1. one of the characters is based off some Japanese military guy (who they claim was in WW2 but he died before it even started lol)

2. some guy on twitter who drew fanart of AoT said some weird racist nationalist stuff, so this clearly is the alt of the author (?)

mycot posted:

Online creators is not so bad anymore, like, it used to be hella bad to the point people would joke about it in thread (the thread title was "0 days since the last meltdown" at one point), but for some reason it has chilled out. Either the most aggro posters have been banned for other things on the forums, or people finally got tired talking about random Youtubers getting cancelled.

ok thats good, I stopped looking at it like a year or two ago because it was so bad it was starting to genuinely make me mad reading it instead of loling

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ibram Gaunt posted:

ok thats good, I stopped looking at it like a year or two ago because it was so bad it was starting to genuinely make me mad reading it instead of loling

Yeah it was just, people would come out swinging for no reason, I don't even remember the subjects that set it off most of the time. For some reason the meltdown I remember is someone getting very intensely weird about the C-list video game youtuber Angry Joe (who is Puerto Rican), because if he lived in Mexico (which he does not) he would be a privileged lightskin and be a racist piece of poo poo?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I know nothing at all about AoT but I read something saying it had a group of people who were very analogous to jews that one of the big reveals was that they did a bunch of awful poo poo and actually deserved to be oppressed, but I have no idea if any of that is really true.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

1. one of the characters is based off some Japanese military guy (who they claim was in WW2 but he died before it even started lol)

lmao

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mycot posted:

Was that the thread that cum did the vtuber bit in or was that a different thread

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

they posted a ton in the AoT thread being a dipshit as well.

Age... Of tempires?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
funhater is threadbanned from the online creators thread but because the mod ceased to exist no one ever enfornced it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

I know nothing at all about AoT but I read something saying it had a group of people who were very analogous to jews that one of the big reveals was that they did a bunch of awful poo poo and actually deserved to be oppressed, but I have no idea if any of that is really true.

it's a really bad faith reading of the series. the reality is the author got really clumsy with the jew analogue stuff as the series went on which can look bad without context but when major themes of the work is about how revenge does nothing but gently caress everyone over and the cyclical nature of violence i just cannot see the "author thinks the jews are evil' stuff as accurate at all

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the author is very into vore he he wants to be eaten by a titan for real

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
all great artists are perverts

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Why can't people just watch videos they like and that's it that's the end of it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

Was that the thread that cum did the vtuber bit in or was that a different thread

yes lol shame cum flamed out

cum posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 12, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Fajita Queen posted:

The thing that complicates this is that the main characters all belong to the Jewish analogue and the series is from their perspective. I don't think Attack on Titan is really a grand takedown (or endorsement) of fascism, it's basically that Simpsons episode "It's just a bunch of stuff that happened" but the stuff is genocide, but I do think people either deliberately leave parts like that out for the worst possible reading, or they're just going off a wiki summary of the series and don't realize how things are framed (like that the series is not actually about killing all the titans).

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 12, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Famethrowa posted:

Lol

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Ibram Gaunt posted:

however the online creators thread is one of the worst threads on the forums so frankly they deserve to deal with him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol'd remembering atomic hearts and the hysteria involving it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
atomic heart was full of subliminal imagery that directed players toward the cspam holodomor thread

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol'd remembering atomic hearts and the hysteria involving it

Playing this mediocre game makes you culpable for the ukraine war. simple as.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Video games were invented to bring humanity closer together. They were supposed to bridge all gaps and unite hearts and minds but instead we yell at disabled people when they kick our asses.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ddamn russian bioshock made me love putin

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibram Gaunt posted:

it's a really bad faith reading of the series. the reality is the author got really clumsy with the jew analogue stuff as the series went on which can look bad without context but when major themes of the work is about how revenge does nothing but gently caress everyone over and the cyclical nature of violence i just cannot see the "author thinks the jews are evil' stuff as accurate at all
the argument in the OC thread was that ultimately it's apologetic about literal genocide, when it is blatantly shown that it accomplishes nothing good. like, eren activating essentially The Nukes results in a temporary half-century of peace for his people followed by the rest of the world uniting against them and eventually his home nation being bombed into the stone age

it's basically the Starship Troopers problem, where if you are unable to read past even the thinnest of veneers you'll completely miss the message. but yeah, isayama definitely fumbled some of the messaging, though I think he got the point across to most people. War Bad, Fascism Bad

Fajita Queen posted:

it's more that anyone descended from a specific empire from like a thousand years ago was considered a lesser being and shoved into literal concentration camps, used as expendable soldiers, exploited in basically every way while treated as subhuman.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

the argument in the OC thread was that ultimately it's apologetic about literal genocide, when it is blatantly shown that it accomplishes nothing good. like, eren activating essentially The Nukes results in a temporary half-century of peace for his people followed by the rest of the world uniting against them and eventually his home nation being bombed into the stone age

It's insane to me that people can look at some of the panels in the last chapter showing some of the characters horrified at the nationalistic chanting of the other people and still think the series is saying it's good lol.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I already forgot atomic heart was a game that existed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's insane to me that people can look at some of the panels in the last chapter showing some of the characters horrified at the nationalistic chanting of the other people and still think the series is saying it's good lol.
"all these characters we know, looking on in dread as jackbooted fascists march in rank and proudly reclaim the name of the nation that oppressed the world millenia ago, followed by timeskips showing the growth of technology and their cities being bombed to dust, this is actually Approval of Nazis"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the small portion of it that i played sucked absolute poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
which one is the one by the guy who headed the bioshock developer, is that atomic heart?

e: I AM PROBATED AND I MUST POST

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mycot posted:

The thing that complicates this is that the main characters all belong to the Jewish analogue and the series is from their perspective. I don't think Attack on Titan is really a grand takedown (or endorsement) of fascism, it's basically that Simpsons episode "It's just a bunch of stuff that happened" but the stuff is genocide, but I do think people either deliberately leave parts like that out for the worst possible reading, or they're just going off a wiki summary of the series and don't realize how things are framed (like that the series is not actually about killing all the titans).
Imo AoT has some weirdly strong inspiration from Dune, although it can get spoilery to explain exactly how. But along with that come some attempts at grand statements about society, politics and humanity, some clumsy poo poo in their execution, and some very fail misinterpretations by audiences about the point of it all.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
One of the funniest LTG bits is where he screams at Namco and Capcom because they won't let him screen exactly which online opponents he matches up with ahead of time instead of making him ragequit and lose rank points. He 100% thinks this is a reasonable thing to ask for and doesn't understand why they don't implement it. Like, he thinks this mechanic was some sort of oversight because they are stupid developers.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

as an aside the AoT games are sick as hell. the swinging around tech is the best i've seen in a game since spiderman 2

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

lol every one in that thread seems mad annoying

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

what the gently caress kind of username is hotep botnet

also ty for the AoT explanations much appreciated :cheers:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n