Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The bite is always pretty slow for me this time of year and i usually take a break from fishing through August.

My fishing buddy is willing to put the money i can't afford into my bass boat, so that he can have the use of it for the rest of the season.

Hopefully we'll spend a few weeks messing around with it and have it ready in time for fishing to get fun again.

I've been saying this every year for like 4 years and the boat had yet to be ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I just started fishing way later in the day (like right before sundown) when it cools down some and I've been having a lot more success lately. I've also just been seeing more fish activity. Lots of feeding at the surface, lots of jumping.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Sarah Cenia posted:

thought I was the only one in this thread. feels like the past 6 times fishing I haven't even gotten a nibble.
maybe I need to find a much smaller body of water, cause otherwise I could tell you that there are only 2 fish in this entire river and the only reason I know that is because I watched them hit the surface all around me all afternoon.

Decided to throw a frog into some pads since they were moving like the grass in Jurassic Park, got the only bite of the day but I didn't get a good hook set out of it. Sweated my balls off the rest of the day, now I'm convinced it was a game Warden with a snorkel loving with me.

First time I've been skunked in a decade, felt bad man

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
I've been cleaning up pretty good recently but only after 7pm. Anything before that is just burning my skin with no fish in the heat.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
After 7 is good because less heat. Bad because more mosquitos.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

breaking news, i am a fish

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

breaking news, i am a fish

Were you standing behind someone fly fishing

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That or good job getting your lure back from the tree it was snagged in.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I hate trees, that was a 1/4 oz jig head traveling fast enough to whistle on it's way through my skull

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
hell yeah, went to the park with the wife and we each used a sabiki rig. Caught some little croaker, snapper and pinfish on small cut up pieces of worm.
it was so nice to actually see some fish when fishing...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crabbing season is the best ever for me at my spot. After 6 years of no Dungeness crabs I’ve been now catching one per day of quality size.
Don’t get me wrong I still love red rock but dungies are easy mode to crack.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I hate trees, that was a 1/4 oz jig head traveling fast enough to whistle on it's way through my skull

I did this the other week but on a weed under the water, and the jig rocketed out of the water and past me and deposited itself perfectly into my friend’s front pocket on his shorts :haw:

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
have y'all ever used those cylindrical wire mesh minnow traps? is it realistic to think I could throw one of those out and have some live bait within like...an hour?

is there a technique to it besides just set it near cover or shade and let it chill with some bait in it?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Sarah Cenia posted:

have y'all ever used those cylindrical wire mesh minnow traps? is it realistic to think I could throw one of those out and have some live bait within like...an hour?

is there a technique to it besides just set it near cover or shade and let it chill with some bait in it?

For sure. I do it on a larger scale and catch bluegill

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Well it looks like I'm getting a reel upgrade from a buddy. I got him a Lew's carbon fire 2000 reel for his birthday to put on his tiny rod, and he's giving me some sort of weird reel from a brand I've never heard of. I think he called it a "favorite fishing phantom" spinning reel. Y'all ever heard of it?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Sarah Cenia posted:

I tried one in my pond years ago and got a lot of tiny Bluegill FAST like, a couple of hours, mid-day with in a shady spot with some dry cat food as bait.

The second time I tried it it got stolen really fast.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
dang I'm excited for it to come in the mail!

next time i go fishing I'm gonna use a zebco as a handline reel.

considered using the cuban yoyo but this is easier on the fingas

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Man, August fishing is hard lol.

Got skunked all day on the kayaks this weekend with my buddy but on the way back in I saw bubbles shoot under my kayak so I jammed one end of my paddle into the water to do a sweet 180 handbrake turn and whipped out my ultralight that I had just put a spinner lure on and immediately hooked a tiny lil bluegill, so that was fun :shobon:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
How late into the year can you realistically expect to catch Bluefish at the Jersey shore? I imagine they are around throughout August but what about September?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

T-Square posted:

Man, August fishing is hard lol.

Got skunked all day on the kayaks this weekend with my buddy but on the way back in I saw bubbles shoot under my kayak so I jammed one end of my paddle into the water to do a sweet 180 handbrake turn and whipped out my ultralight that I had just put a spinner lure on and immediately hooked a tiny lil bluegill, so that was fun :shobon:

I haven't been out in a couple weeks but right now people are having to go to 40'+ to find walleye on our lake. I'm not a fan of fishing at those depths so I probably won't fish much until this fall.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Took my partner fishing for the first time in her life, and I'm so proud of her. She ended up nailing a baby large mouth, a channel cat, and the first pumpkinseed I've ever seen come out of this lake in less than 2 hours. She had the fight of her life on her hands with that channel cat on an ultralight crappie setup with 4lb line.

She is excited to go again. She brought a book and never opened it.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Just getting started again after like 20+ years. Previous experience was basically only catching pan fish. I don't really remember any of the details lol. I currently have 2 x Zebco 33 spincasters from a previous single attempt at fishing about 5 - 7 years ago.

I'm in the midwest doing lake\pond fishing from the shore. I did some research and landed on weedless texas rigged plastic worms. I did catch about 1 lb large mouth bass with it so that gave me some confidence that it works. I would like to do some bluegill\sunfish type fishing with a bobber along with my kids. What do you recommend?

Also, I'm curious about what type\strength line do you think the Zebco came with? Is it something I need to replace? I don't guess ive had issues beyond it being a dark color and its kind of hard to see. With all hobbies my favorite part is accessorizing and upgrading. I think I would like to experiment with a open face rod and reel for general fishing under the conditions listed above. Should I be looking at a 6 - 7' medium light pole? Are 2 piece poles garbage? Any brand or model recommendations? What kind of line strength should I target for just... "general" fishing? There are sooo many choices.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

murk posted:

With all hobbies my favorite part is accessorizing and upgrading.

Buddy have you found the right hobby…

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

murk posted:

Just getting started again after like 20+ years. Previous experience was basically only catching pan fish. I don't really remember any of the details lol. I currently have 2 x Zebco 33 spincasters from a previous single attempt at fishing about 5 - 7 years ago.

I'm in the midwest doing lake\pond fishing from the shore. I did some research and landed on weedless texas rigged plastic worms. I did catch about 1 lb large mouth bass with it so that gave me some confidence that it works. I would like to do some bluegill\sunfish type fishing with a bobber along with my kids. What do you recommend?

Also, I'm curious about what type\strength line do you think the Zebco came with? Is it something I need to replace? I don't guess ive had issues beyond it being a dark color and its kind of hard to see. With all hobbies my favorite part is accessorizing and upgrading. I think I would like to experiment with a open face rod and reel for general fishing under the conditions listed above. Should I be looking at a 6 - 7' medium light pole? Are 2 piece poles garbage? Any brand or model recommendations? What kind of line strength should I target for just... "general" fishing? There are sooo many choices.

That line is probably in the 6lb test region. Age has probably not been kind to it. Walmart sells a decent ugly stik gx2 combo in the size you are looking for for 50 bucks or so, I'd recommend that if you don't want to get weird with it.

If you do want to get weird with it, an ugly stik dock runner rod is hilarious fun when pond hopping. Put 10lb mono on it and let it rip.

titties
May 10, 2012

murk posted:

I would like to do some bluegill\sunfish type fishing with a bobber along with my kids. What do you recommend?

Ultralight or light gear, live nightcrawlers on a smaller hook, maybe size 6 or so. Pinch the crawlers in half and use the butt half first, the head half (the half with the band) will continue to live unharmed. Unused worms can keep for weeks in the fridge.

Look for any kind of cover that you can reach from the shore. Weed beds, lily pads, submerged logs are all likely places.

murk posted:

Also, I'm curious about what type\strength line do you think the Zebco came with? Is it something I need to replace? I don't guess ive had issues beyond it being a above. Should I be looking at a 6 - 7' medium light pole? Are 2 piece poles garbage? Any brand or model recommendations? What kind of line strength should I target for just... "general" fishing? There are sooo many choices.

It's best practice to remove and replace pre-spooled line because it's generally low- quality and has developed memory from being on the spool for so long. 6 lb line should be fine for general freshwater fishing, you're not super likely to catch bass or panfish that will tax it too hard.

If you're mostly targeting panfish then you should be fine with light or ultralight. My most-used rod is a medium, but most medium weight tackle is a little too big for smaller panfish, the hooks are too big to fit in their mouth. You can always just throw a small hook with a heavier bobber though if you're bait fishing.

2- piece rods are fine, i'm pretty sure i don't have a single rod that's not a 2-piece. A lot of my rods are hand-me-downs or thrift store / yard sale buys and I've never had a rod break on me.

You basically can't go wrong with cheap rods. I have budget rods from ugly stick /Shakespeare, Berkeley, diawa, and eagle claw and all of them have held up fine over many years of use. Cheap rods generally sacrifice sensitivity for durability.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Thanks for the input fellas!

titties posted:

If you're mostly targeting panfish then you should be fine with light or ultralight. My most-used rod is a medium, but most medium weight tackle is a little too big for smaller panfish, the hooks are too big to fit in their mouth. You can always just throw a small hook with a heavier bobber though if you're bait fishing.

So with a medium rod, what stops me from putting small hooks panfish bait(worms, crickets, what ever) on there? I'm still confused about things like "medium weight tackle". From what you've said and what I've read online, having a ultra light, light setup aides with the sensitivity, aka know when smaller fish are messing with it. Is that right? So my situation is that I have 4 people in the family that could potentially go fishing. I have the 2 zebcos already, so my thought is that those will be moved down for the kids eventually. If I end up getting two additional rod and reels, i'd like them to be fairly general so my wife and I can use them in most situations we will encounter(lakes, ponds, small streams, all from the shore really), with out getting into the dozens of poles specialization quite yet lol! I am probably over thinking the need for a "general combo" setup. Seems like you could technically catch most fish with pretty basic setups. I don't see any monster fish catches in my future because of where I'll be fishing

titties
May 10, 2012

murk posted:

Thanks for the input fellas!

So with a medium rod, what stops me from putting small hooks panfish bait(worms, crickets, what ever) on there? I'm still confused about things like "medium weight tackle".

You absolutely can do that:

titties posted:

You can always just throw a small hook with a heavier bobber though if you're bait fishing.

On the underside of the rod you should see the weight of tackle that works best with the rod. You can throw heavier or lighter tackle if you want, but you will sacrifice distance because the rod can't load properly.

Just use a heavier float and / or a sinker if you're casting small hooks. If your float won't stand up then add a small sinker between the bobber and the hook. If it still won't stand up then your bait is probably on the bottom, and you would then shorten the distance between the bobber and the hook.

What i mean by "medium weight tackle" is tackle that falls inside the weight recommendation on your medium weight rod. Most tackle has the weight printed on the package.

E: yes, you can catch just about anything on just about anything. I have caught 40" northern pike on a 4 1/2' light rod with 6 lb test on a 200 size reel, and i have caught little baby 2" perch on a 7' medium with 15 lb braid on a 350 size reel.

titties fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 9, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

titties posted:

You absolutely can do that:

On the underside of the rod you should see the weight of tackle that works best with the rod. You can throw heavier or lighter tackle if you want, but you will sacrifice distance because the rod can't load properly.

Just use a heavier float and / or a sinker if you're casting small hooks. If your float won't stand up then add a small sinker between the bobber and the hook. If it still won't stand up then your bait is probably on the bottom, and you would then shorten the distance between the bobber and the hook.

What i mean by "medium weight tackle" is tackle that falls inside the weight recommendation on your medium weight rod. Most tackle has the weight printed on the package.

E: yes, you can catch just about anything on just about anything. I have caught 40" northern pike on a 4 1/2' light rod with 6 lb test on a 200 size reel, and i have caught little baby 2" perch on a 7' medium with 15 lb braid on a 350 size reel.

I was using a 2lb 12 inch chrome bar and the flutter on my first drop felt weird so I brought it up and somehow I snagged a 6 inch rockfish through both lips.
Oops.

titties
May 10, 2012

Ha ha that poor little guy. I spent almost half my life living near the sea and never learned a thing about saltwater fishing. I kind of regret it but I'm happy enough on the lakes and rivers.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I like the block party feel of a big ocean pier at night, everyone's chillin and listening to music and BSin and yelling down the pier at each other.
The only wack part is how you're pretty much stuck casting straight out.

I wanna try surf fishing soon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sarah Cenia posted:

I like the block party feel of a big ocean pier at night, everyone's chillin and listening to music and BSin and yelling down the pier at each other.
The only wack part is how you're pretty much stuck casting straight out.

Adds danger and cold feet.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I traded one of my kayaks for a 10ft pond prowler, 40lb minnkota, and frankly giant deep cycle marine battery.

I think I did pretty good. Inaugural trip is scheduled for tomorrow. I am wildly excited.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I traded one of my kayaks for a 10ft pond prowler, 40lb minnkota, and frankly giant deep cycle marine battery.

I think I did pretty good. Inaugural trip is scheduled for tomorrow. I am wildly excited.

The weaknesses of those kind of boats are mostly that they are hard to transport because they are heavy af and they do even worse in the wind than kayaks. Otherwise, its a great platform.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

Do it. It's fun as hell. I don't know where you live but if you live near an area that has Bluefish they are one of the most fun fish to catch and you can easily catch them from the shore in the warmer months. Also you don't really need any specialty rods for surf fishing. I use the same medium weight spinning rig with 12 pound mono that I use for largemouth bass fishing in freshwater. I do have a somewhat larger spinning rod that I use for flinging heavier lures but it's not a necessity.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sickening posted:

The weaknesses of those kind of boats are mostly that they are hard to transport because they are heavy af and they do even worse in the wind than kayaks. Otherwise, its a great platform.

It feels way lighter than the 12 foot kayak that I traded for it. It's also only for when I've got another person with me, otherwise I'm taking out the 10 foot fishing kayak. Wind is gonna suck, but that's what anchors are for. Going to burn up stumpy lake all day tomorrow. I'm gonna need more beer.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

We regret to inform you the fish know about hippie stompers.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sickening posted:

Basically no wind all day, I really felt the 105 degree heart index. Boat went amazingly well even when towing two idiots in kayaks. With the heat the way it was I came prepared for the poo poo bite, I was the only one to catch anything until the evening because of the much looked down upon secret technique of "nightcrawlers and a bobber"

All I caught all day was 2lb catfish, but I caught a bunch of em. Bringing a cooler full of ice next time drat

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
i look like a trailer park lobster

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
its k, wear it like a badge of honor.
I've been hiding inside but thinking of fishing all day. gently caress the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

waffle enthusiast posted:

We regret to inform you the fish know about hippie stompers.

Not sure where you are, but purple and royal wolf patterns kill it out here. Everything from small creek trout to bigger stuff on the Colorado and Yampa seem to love them.