Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
I'm actually very excited about Tarkov :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Personally I can't wait for SPT to update for the new patch so I can go after a bunch of scavs with a PKM. :buddy:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I'm a bag fan of the new streets so far. It isn't just new areas, a lot of existing buildings have had more rooms and floors opened up, there is so much loot everywhere :toot:

e: I found the smallest duffle bag in all of Tarkov

Rahu fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 11, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Wait, audio is still bullshit? I didn't play after they "fixed it" last time and it made everything unplayable.

How's the situation with cheating etc after that big exposé thing? Has it improved? So you still get snipes in 10 mins from someone you never saw or heard who instantly locks onto your head?

BadFilmBestFilm
Jun 2, 2021
I took a break in the last two wipes, I feel like the weapons handling has improved. Scavs have less of the lasergun headshot bullshit

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

How's the situation with cheating etc after that big exposé thing? Has it improved?

The cheating problem is completely overblown. People act like that video was definitive proof of the game being overrun with cheaters, but not the case. It’s still more of an issue with people refusing to accept their deaths.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I don't really play anymore, but I do watch streamers that play and it seems like there are less suspicious deaths. I agree that it does seem like people just use that as an out for playing bad. Especially some of the more prolific and smaller streamers. The prolific ones because their ego gets to them and the smaller ones because they want an excuse to give to their viewers so that the viewers don't think the streamer is bad and will continue to support them.

I wonder how long this cycle will last before wipe. It seems like this was one of the longer, if not longest, period between wipes. It is a little mindblowing thinking about how long this game has been out now and how it continues to do so well.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

hello internet posted:

The cheating problem is completely overblown. People act like that video was definitive proof of the game being overrun with cheaters, but not the case. It’s still more of an issue with people refusing to accept their deaths.

So, I've played for an hour or two today. It's entirely different to before. Ive been able to kill some PMCs and I've not played a FPS game in 6 months or so, so I'm rusty as balls.

Last wipe I was having trouble even seeing other PMCs to even shoot at.

I feel it maybe was blow up a little, but it was certainly an issue enough for me to stop playing when I died without seeing the other guy all the time.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

And hasn't the audio been fixed?

Yes, several times, and they've become exceedingly efficient at it.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/15nyusz/i_dont_remember_lighting_being_this_bad/

yikes

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Yeah I clicked on a landmark first wipe video yesterday and noticed that poo poo immediately and he doesn't comment on it and nobody in the stream chat commented on it clearly being busted af compared to before the patch and so just closed the video. Lol how do they not even test this stuff?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

What in the absolute hell is this poo poo? That is embarrassing.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Yeah I clicked on a landmark first wipe video yesterday and noticed that poo poo immediately and he doesn't comment on it and nobody in the stream chat commented on it clearly being busted af compared to before the patch and so just closed the video. Lol how do they not even test this stuff?

Well he's not and he probably doesn't want his chat to talk about it because it provides a huge advantage to those that want to use it and he is so far up Nikitas rear end that he doesn't want to lose his privilege. He went from a small, 20 viewer streamer to one of the biggest streamers in the world thanks to this game. I can't blame him. Get your bag. But that shadow issue is nutty.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

ShowTime posted:

Well he's not and he probably doesn't want his chat to talk about it because it provides a huge advantage to those that want to use it and he is so far up Nikitas rear end that he doesn't want to lose his privilege.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Yeah I clicked on a landmark first wipe video yesterday and noticed that poo poo immediately and he doesn't comment on it and nobody in the stream chat commented on it clearly being busted af compared to before the patch and so just closed the video.
Or it was just like the Grenade Launcher introduction where the big name streamers and BSG are already aware and working on a fix and it'll get patched in the next update and why bother constantly bringing it up every minute of the stream.

Oh look, it's fixed in the new update, what a coincidence.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

still wondering what rear end in a top hat thought making chromatic aberration into game mechanics was a good idea.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
can't believe that they added well lit areas to tarkov that aren't outside, I'd assumed that never doing that was in some tarkov design doc bible

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

giZm posted:

Or it was just like the Grenade Launcher introduction where the big name streamers and BSG are already aware and working on a fix and it'll get patched in the next update and why bother constantly bringing it up every minute of the stream.

Oh look, it's fixed in the new update, what a coincidence.

The game is now perfect, congrats. You can rest easy now.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

The game is now perfect, congrats. You can rest easy now.

Hahahahaha good one

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
So this will be my first wipe, got to 26 last wipe. Wondering if there's any specific path I need to take in order to get a better experience in terms of kit and rubles available. Also I'll be starting a week after the wipe, am I going to get bum rushed like I did when I started last march?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Honestly it depends if you’re good at shooters and pvp. If you are then feel free to rush blindly at your quest goals and high value targets mowing down anyone you see. Doesn’t matter much what your kit is as long as you’re comfortable with it and you’re using ammo that can pen the armor you’re likely to be shooting through.

If you’re as bad as me at shooters that strategy will get you nowhere. In that case you need to learn where the value locations are, what typical player routes look like, and where you can safely go to pick up some second or third tier loot spots and still get out alive. As you can imagine this takes a lot of learning and practice, so it kinda necessitates you do one map at a time while you develop mastery. Kit doesn’t matter here usually either as long as you bring enough meds to heal up after your encounters.

Kit basically only matters during those even ground pitched battles. In those situations skill matters way way more anyway. If you’re very skilled you’ll probably win the fight even if you’re naked with a toz, and if you’re like me if you got into this situation in the first place you already hosed up big time and should be ready to take the L. Probably lots of people itt will disagree and say you should be practicing pvp as much as possible but a lot of the people in this game looking for fights have like ten thousand hours of factory meat grinder time and probably another twenty thousand in CSGO. It’s just not worth it compared to the gains you get from learning the choke points and taking them by surprise with cheesy camping strats. Personally I spend most of my time in game figuring out how to successfully avoid other players altogether though. The really good players know to check their blind corners and never stop moving, so they’re tough to even ambush successfully.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

MonkeyLibFront posted:

So this will be my first wipe, got to 26 last wipe. Wondering if there's any specific path I need to take in order to get a better experience in terms of kit and rubles available. Also I'll be starting a week after the wipe, am I going to get bum rushed like I did when I started last march?

One thing I do is always, always, always run my scav when its available. I specifically do Reserve at night and basically just head to maybe 1-2 loot zones and bounce. I don't try and fight. I max out my scav karma. Eventually, you'll get your scav runs down to load time + 2-3 minutes and when you can get your scav timer down low enough and your scav karma up high enough, you'll be rolling in money. The night runs probably do require a little tweaking of your filters so that you can see, but once you figure that out you have no issues fighting in the dark. If this is your first wipe, i'd recommend being friendly to scavs this time. Next wipe you can be mean and kill them.

But through this method I've often gotten to several million before even hitting level 5. I played a little this previous wipe and at lvl 5 I had 2 scav cases and a full stash of like C-tier and B-tier loot. A handful of meta stuff just from lucky grabs from chests and stashes and stuff. I also have been playing for awhile so I know what the meta things are so I can spot something and be like "oooh, that's 100k on the market" or "oooh, I need these for quests".

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Lots of people scav hard early in the wipe so the queue for most maps can be excessive. I'm only scavving on factory right now and keeping the raid quick, <90 seconds usually. If a queue goes over 7min it's probably bugged. There's an argument to be made for not scavving but at all but I would just stay away from the long queues.

I don't have EoD and the biggest improvement is a larger hidden container. If you're not comfortable rushing the punisher quest line like a maniac then the 2x3 beta container is probably worthwhile when it's available. Every slot increases the amount of roubles you can pull out of a failed raid and never bringing in a CMS kit until the grind is over is rough and changes how you engage with PvP on the most basic level.

You're definitely going to get bum rushed but early wipe hits differently. If you're a mix of loud, friendly and clueless over VoIP it can get you out of a lot.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Not scavving at all is probably not advisable for your first wipe. Scavving is super useful for learning the maps with low stakes and no real objectives. I did a no-scav wipe last time, but it was my 3rd wipe. It was a good learning experience but it was made way easier by actually learning the maps as a scav in previous wipes.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
First PMC raid of the wipe on customs. Get a spawn that lets me get to the lab first! I search around for a bit until this PMC runs through. I shoot at him, and more PMC's come yelling cease fire and 'hi there!'. Then silence, I can't hear anybody with my comtacs for several minutes (I expect someone to push lab so I wait inside). I try and circle around the building to them, but there's nobody there. I take tracer fire at full auto from fortress (big clue in hindsight), take cover in a little shed. Footsteps, they're running directly to me. Ghost runs directly to me and rounds a corner, killing me instantly! :witch:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kinda want to get into this game again but I’ve bounced off every time I’ve tried. Any pointers to get it to make sense? Mostly I have issues with navigating the maps more than anything else.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Kinda want to get into this game again but I’ve bounced off every time I’ve tried. Any pointers to get it to make sense? Mostly I have issues with navigating the maps more than anything else.

play with friends and scav raids.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Always use a map for at least your first several hundred hours.

https://mapgenie.io/tarkov is great. There are also maps on the official wiki for the ones that mapgenie makes you pay extra for, but they aren't quite as detailed.

Doing scav runs to learn the map is also super useful. You are pretty much guaranteed to lose fights against PMCs as a scav so it forces you to practice the most important aspect of tarkov, sneaking around like a rat man.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Cheers for the tips, I always scaved when I felt burnt by my PMC raids, wanted to explore maps like streets without losing kit or when I'm genuinely flat broke. I felt most of the fights I lost on PvP were due to poo poo ammo, one due to no knowledge and then when I knew what ammo I needed not having it, hopefully this wipe I'll be in a better position.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Did a scav run on Interchange, heard some chad fighting going on near the exfil I was going for so I ducked back into the Oli loading dock, and another player scav showed up and said "right behind you bud".

At which point I poo poo myself, turned around to see him... and from behind me I hear an "also right behind you bud" from his buddy. We waited for the coast to be clear then rolled out to the exfil together.

I think I like this game.

e: The auth bot on the discord seems to be broken so if someone could auth me that would be rad. Discord username is the same as here.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 13, 2023

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

:cry:

I got jeager letter, quest stuck on complete. I guess I don't get Jeager this wipe !!!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

:cry:

I got jeager letter, quest stuck on complete. I guess I don't get Jeager this wipe !!!

I've heard that for stuck quests the fix is to close out of the game and hit 'clear cache' in the launcher. It should clear up next time you play.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Since that update yesterday I've not been able to do a scav run. It keeps disconnecting me from the server which is very loving annoying.

I may have to stop playing again if I can't scav for bits.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
where the hell are the spark plugs

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dollas posted:

In the Legally Distinct DeWalt toolboxes usually. (The black and yellow ones, for reference).

Or find a Technical Supply Crate somehow.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

When you don’t need them, they will be in every container

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Dollas posted:

Interchange tech stores on shelves
Toolboxes
Tech crates
Filing cabinets

IMO the worst early game required item since you need it for hideout and for quests, Nikita should let us loot them from cars.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
tell that to the awl i am still missing

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So far this wipe I've found piles of spark plugs, bolts, and nuts, and even almost a dozen suppressors, but not a single loving measuring tape, so my hideout is still completely unbuilt.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Awl and gas annies are a pox

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Already found a LEDX and an Opthalmoscope but still no multivitamins in the whole wide world of Tarkov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Triple A posted:

Already found a LEDX and an Opthalmoscope but still no multivitamins in the whole wide world of Tarkov.

I run the encampment by the lake on Woods for early Jaeger food and vitamins and have had decent success.