Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Quake Wars was a fantastic game that hit at just the wrong moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

TheScott2K posted:

Turning off 24hz is a big no thanks, I'm never going back to repeating every 4th frame of a movie.

update: it didn't do this

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Quake Wars was a fantastic game that hit at just the wrong moment.

it ruled. Graphics were unbelievable at the time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it ruled. Graphics were unbelievable at the time.

Eh, it gets released 2 years after Battlefield 2 and was roughly comparable. The thing was Battlefield was feeling a bit stale at the time and that objective based push gameplay was really promising for the future of mp fps.

It did not look remotely as good as COD4, which also released in 2007 and took over the entire genre.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

harrygomm posted:

did they finally fix the terrible latency issues that led to getting meleed through walls/shot around corners/sniped by people who hadn’t even picked up the rifle on your screen yet?
I play on a very low ping (sub 20 usually), so never really had any major issues that I can remember.

It has felt smoother to me lately, but I couldn’t say about desync. Definitely had a few strange melees over time I’ve been playing and those still occur

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sounds like we are finally getting close to a STALKER 2 release. The game is going to be playable at Gamescom and there is a German distributor's website that posted a December 1st release date. Unclear if that last part is going to be the true release date but this website has previously been the first to post releases of other games that turned out to be correct in the past.

https://www.ign.com/articles/stalker-2-heart-of-chornobyl-may-have-just-been-given-a-december-2023-release-date

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Frontlines: Fuel of War is an underrated game and I would gladly pay 20 bucks for an HD remaster with full online support available again(the original still can be played online but its limited to only 16 players and not the 50 players the dedicated servers could do)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Since From Software is back on their mech game I would happily pay full price for a fairly standard remaster of Chromehounds using Microsoft's cloud servers. Just solid 60fps & Xbox dedicated servers so FS can't pull the plug on online would be incredible. About the only improvement or change to the game I would make is just removing the ability for bases to be destroyed which would fix the only issue the game had. Maybe some extra mech building parts would be nice? Perhaps a mode that supports more players? Incorporating all of the above into a proper remake would be too beautiful for this world.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SUNKOS posted:

Since From Software is back on their mech game I would happily pay full price for a fairly standard remaster of Chromehounds using Microsoft's cloud servers. Just solid 60fps & Xbox dedicated servers so FS can't pull the plug on online would be incredible. About the only improvement or change to the game I would make is just removing the ability for bases to be destroyed which would fix the only issue the game had. Maybe some extra mech building parts would be nice? Perhaps a mode that supports more players? Incorporating all of the above into a proper remake would be too beautiful for this world.

That would actually be up to SEGA as they own Chromehounds, From only developed it for them(much like how Bloodborne is owned by Sony)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Too many games are coming out this year alone on Xbox. I'll have to quit my job.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

SUNKOS posted:

Unfortunately Chromehounds will never exist again the way they wanted it to be played thanks to the development of party chat. One of the key things about the game was that communications with your allies was cut off once you moved out of your controlled zones. There was nothing scarier than making a quick plan with your team only to fall into complete silence once you move out into enemy territory hoping that nothing goes horribly wrong.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Broforce is stupid fun, don’t know why I expected something like guitar hero from the name/art lol

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Ryoga posted:

Unfortunately Chromehounds will never exist again the way they wanted it to be played thanks to the development of party chat. One of the key things about the game was that communications with your allies was cut off once you moved out of your controlled zones. There was nothing scarier than making a quick plan with your team only to fall into complete silence once you move out into enemy territory hoping that nothing goes horribly wrong.
Clearly it needs to release together with an Xbox firmware update with suspiciously vague release notes

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Ruffian Price posted:

Clearly it needs to release together with an Xbox firmware update with suspiciously vague release notes

Todays tech savvy nerds have too many alternatives, they would just fire up discord and ruin it for everyone.

What’s quake 2 multiplayer like then? I never played it, I’m assuming there’s an online deathmatch/ctf?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Crafty posted:

What’s quake 2 multiplayer like then? I never played it, I’m assuming there’s an online deathmatch/ctf?
Co-op, Deathmatch, TDM and CTF. Deathmatch and TDM are pretty much exactly what you'd expect, blast the other guys until you hit the score or time limit. CTF is similar to what you'd expect from later games, but has a grappling hook and special Tech Powerups. Co-op has a new ruleset in this release where if you die you won't respawn until your teammates are far enough away from enemies, creating the possibility of Total Party Wipes that result in restarting the level. There are also options for life limits and monster health multipliers to add more challenge.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

That would actually be up to SEGA as they own Chromehounds, From only developed it for them(much like how Bloodborne is owned by Sony)

SEGA is so hot right now

Ryoga posted:

I knew I was forgetting something :bang:

Yeah, even if they disabled party chat while playing people would just fire up Discord or whatever like Crafty said. Capturing comm towers was such an integral part of gameplay (and if you had one of those fast hovercraft mechs zipping behind enemy lines, breaking their comms lines was really effective too iirc?) and it just wouldn't be the same if that mechanic was removed. Was tense as heck taking the commander role as well, my preferred build was a quick little guy with dual heatseekers and a smoke launcher between the legs that was aimed at the ground so if I got into trouble I'd blind them with smoke and let heatseekers do the job while sneaking off :D

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I missed out on chromehounds, but it looks pretty good. My favourite multiplayer experience we will probably never have again would be spies vs Mercs in the first splinter cell game that had that mode. Best time ever.

Doesn’t seem to be much appetite for asymmetrical multiplayer, with one team fps and the other third person. The closest would have been ‘evolve’ in my recent memory, which I had semi-high hopes for - but was ultimately disappointing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I still think that DBD is the most popular asymmetric MP game of all time but I could be wrong. A lot of people have tried to make one and failed. A couple years back there was that Predator one that has been forgotten.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Ah I never played that one either. I just loved how tense spies vs mercs was, not had any experiences like that since. As a small bonus I also loved how if you crouched over a knocked out merc they could hear your voice comms while you were tea bagging them. :mmmsmug:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
There's a Texas Chainsaw Massacre one coming to gamepass in like 4 days.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Crafty posted:

Ah I never played that one either. I just loved how tense spies vs mercs was, not had any experiences like that since. As a small bonus I also loved how if you crouched over a knocked out merc they could hear your voice comms while you were tea bagging them. :mmmsmug:

Proximity chat is one of my favourite things on the recent CoD games, especially now with DMZ where you can be a solo hiding from 6 man death squads. Although often they’re all on discord voice chat which is annoying. But if not, it rules.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
When does Phasmaphobia drop? It's supposed to be out on game pass this month and it's almost half over.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
There was also a Friday the 13th asymmetrical game that is shutting down, which had lots of gnarly/hilarious kills as one would expect.

https://youtu.be/Uy___dinwn8

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still think that DBD is the most popular asymmetric MP game of all time but I could be wrong. A lot of people have tried to make one and failed. A couple years back there was that Predator one that has been forgotten.

Ghostbusters and Evil Dead were both really good but Epic exclusives, which is a death sentence for MP games in general.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

sticksy posted:

There was also a Friday the 13th asymmetrical game that is shutting down, which had lots of gnarly/hilarious kills as one would expect.

https://youtu.be/Uy___dinwn8

Friday was a phenomenal game, hampered by the fact that people thought it was competitive multiplayer and not a F13 movie simulator.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TheAnomaly posted:

Friday was a phenomenal game, hampered by the fact that people thought it was competitive multiplayer and not a F13 movie simulator.

The amount of bad luck the Friday the 13th game had is pretty drat funny, in a sad sort of way.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Elite Controller with the paddles makes Vanquish so much more fun.

And weed

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lammasu posted:

The amount of bad luck the Friday the 13th game had is pretty drat funny, in a sad sort of way.

it deserved so much better, god drat for like 2 months it was some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Professor Beetus posted:

it deserved so much better, god drat for like 2 months it was some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game.

I watched some streams of it from the RLM guys and it looked like a ton of fun. Actually tense too

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Aw man they changed the machine gun in Quake 2 for this rerelease. It was kind of charming how much recoil it had in the original release

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That recoil with a gamepad would be hell for a gun you have to use so often as the SSG and machinegun are your workhorses until the last third when you have enough railgun, plasma and grenade launcher ammo.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Now that you mention it I was expecting the recoil so much I corrected for it the moment I got the MG :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i used to play Q2 on a port someone made for homebrewed OG Xbox, the recoil on the MG coupled with the vibration of the control pad was hilarious

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Played some more Redfall. Too bad it's a live service game so there's no saving of any kind, which sucks. But it's enjoyable enough to explore the town and look at all the pretty autumn colours, occasionally shooting some humans.

The vampires are annoying to kill as they teleport around a lot, and I'm a slow shooter.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Aw man they changed the machine gun in Quake 2 for this rerelease. It was kind of charming how much recoil it had in the original release
It didn't have recoil in multiplayer mode for some reason, so I guess they just kinda made it behave consistently between modes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's the cheapest way to stock up on my Gamepass Sub these days?

Can you still upgrade for £1?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The author of Metro 2033, Dmitry Glukovsky, who worked with 4A Games on all 3 Metro releases has been sentenced to 8 years in prison for criticizing Russia's invasion of Ukraine :(

Thankfully, he ain't in Russia so good luck finding him lol :flip:

Also for asymmetrical multiplayer fans, reviews are dropping for Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The IGN one here complains about technical issues but it's hard to take them seriously when they're reviewing the game on PC where there's obviously going to be those type of problems. Other places are apparently reviewing the game better but it does seem quite low on actual content which is a valid criticism imo. Cool premise for a game though, but seems like it's missing a lot of potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qopVt6V-TTk

Edit: Just got first 15 minutes of Lord of the Fallen too and I think I'm sold. World design is superb and I particularly like the sound design as well with how meaty and weighty everything comes across with all that bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlM_O2HVda4

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 14, 2023

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

What's the cheapest way to stock up on my Gamepass Sub these days?

Can you still upgrade for £1?

Microsoft has changed the the gold to game pass conversion ratio and the $1/£1 offer only gives you two weeks now.

Just subscribe for a month or so when you have an itch for certain games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ZeeBoi posted:

Microsoft has changed the the gold to game pass conversion ratio and the $1/£1 offer only gives you two weeks now.

Just subscribe for a month or so when you have an itch for certain games.

Or use Microsoft reward points. I'm paid up till January 2025 and it's free.