Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I know it’s been said before, but regardless, bring back comically oversized hi fi stereo system towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Gonz posted:

I know it’s been said before, but regardless, bring back comically oversized hi fi stereo system towers.

Believe it or not there are still 2 other components from that Sony ES line that are not there. There is a Minidisk player, and Phono Pre-amp.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I guess I am going to learn Solaris.

Got this for free from a good friend, both the Blade 100 and LCD screen work, but missing the keyboard and mouse. Thankfully it uses USB so won't be hard to get around that issue, as the official SUN keyboard and mouse seems ridiculously expensive

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
inetnum: 203.30.81.0 - 203.30.81.255
netname: CHINANET-FJ
descr: CHINANET FUJIAN PROVINCE NETWORK

Huh.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

You Am I posted:

I guess I am going to learn Solaris.

Got this for free from a good friend, both the Blade 100 and LCD screen work, but missing the keyboard and mouse. Thankfully it uses USB so won't be hard to get around that issue, as the official SUN keyboard and mouse seems ridiculously expensive

Blade 100s use IDE drives and ATX power supplies, so they're pretty easy to get replacement parts for those. And I think also standard PC133 RAM?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Gonz posted:

Love matching stacks. I had a fairly tall Optimus stack from Radioshack clearance sales at one point.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Gonz posted:

Some day :unsmith:

So many configurations!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

inetnum: 203.30.81.0 - 203.30.81.255
netname: CHINANET-FJ
descr: CHINANET FUJIAN PROVINCE NETWORK

Huh.

Well, *now*. I don't have access to ARIN's "whowas" data but subnets change hands pretty frequently. That system dates from the early 2000s, when a workstation might actually still have a human-friendly name and a routable IP address...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

We are beset by communist infiltraitors!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gonz posted:

I can identify most of those - CD player, cassette deck, DAT deck (?), receiver, & amplifier. Can you name them all?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s a tuner and the amplifier is split into pre and power stages.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
My workstation has a routable address. :smug:
We've owned our /16 for a very long time now…

No human-friendly name though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Gonz posted:

I'm doing my best!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

evobatman posted:

I'm doing my best!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Presented like an audiocop laying out what they confiscated

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
half of that is ready to transform into battle-ready robots

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Was DAT ever used for anything besides recording bootlegs? I'm pretty sure this is the only context I've ever heard it mentioned in.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Was DAT ever used for anything besides recording bootlegs? I'm pretty sure this is the only context I've ever heard it mentioned in.

That and so people like you could ask "What is dat used for?"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DAT was more of a studio format alongside AMPEX reels, no?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It was supposed to succeed regular audio cassettes the same way cd killed vinyl but it was expensive, and publishers lobbied against it hard to try and head it off because it could make higher quality pirate copies so it never really caught on.

I think there were a literal handful of commercial album releases on it but otherwise oops all bootlegs.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Trabant posted:

Some day :unsmith:

So many configurations!

amazing post thank you

they look incredible

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

gently caress I wish I had space for a giant component stack

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

It was somewhat popular (among many competing formats) for computer data backups.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Didn't consumer-level DAT machines have some kind of weird copy protection anyway, like it could make copies, but not 2nd generation copies?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Now I'm imagining someone with a jeweler's loupe and a magnetized needle trying to flip that copy protection bit on a tape

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I remember it being a thing on minidiscs too. It would let you copy a cd to minidisc but not make further copies of that minidisc. But nothing is stopping you from making infinite copies to minidisc of the original cd… Apparently it got introduced thanks to DAT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Copy_Management_System

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It was kind of amusing to see Sony holding on to music DRM as if it was going to reverse market trends.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Tape based formats also had the 'gotta rewind' and non random access issues that couldn't be solved.
Philips also tried out DCC - digital compact cassette. Essentially the whole minidisc system with something similar to 1st gen ATRAC compression, but on a cassette with almost the same specs as traditional analog cassettes. It had a little slide to protect the tape, and so you couldn't put the digital tape in an analog player.
DCC decks had the benefit of being able to also play your analog cassettes, but still it never took off. Tape was already starting to die by that time.

It also didn't sound any better than an analog cassette deck of the same price. The first generation of ATRAC compression was not bad to listen to, but also not completely inconspicuous like the compression codecs of today. DAT is uncompressed and better than DCC of course.
Analog cassette in the 'price comparable to a digital cassette deck' category had matured by then and turned into something as good as the full size 4 track 19cm/s reel to reels from the 1970s, which is good enough for even audiophiles (though of course no audiofile wants to be seen with a cassette deck if it's not a Nakamichi Dragon.)

I have no idea if DCC had any copy protection

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 09:55 on Aug 13, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's kind of remarkable how long it took the industry to figure out good quality yet inexpensive wireless headphones since we had radio tech for forever.
But I know the real hurdle was hardware frequency switching since there are only so many available frequencies.
I still remember my wireless house phone accidentally picking up a neighbour's call.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Speaking of DAT – I have a giant pile of DAT72 data backup tapes (and the SCSI drive that takes them), anyone know if those tapes would work in a DAT audio recorder?

Also have a Sony HDV recorder in house now (on loan), but it seems the loading mechanism has a tendency to jam (no obviously broken parts though).
Dismantled the mechanism and re-greased everything according to the manual and it worked for a while but currently it's completely stuck and refuses to pop the tape up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TOOT BOOT posted:

Let our favorite Brit YouTuber tell you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4K1QKKPX_g

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

longview posted:

Speaking of DAT – I have a giant pile of DAT72 data backup tapes (and the SCSI drive that takes them), anyone know if those tapes would work in a DAT audio recorder?

Also have a Sony HDV recorder in house now (on loan), but it seems the loading mechanism has a tendency to jam (no obviously broken parts though).
Dismantled the mechanism and re-greased everything according to the manual and it worked for a while but currently it's completely stuck and refuses to pop the tape up.

DAT data tapes work in an audio recorder, but the composition of the magnetic coating is different (rougher) which is not compatible with audio DAT heads from a wear point of view. In other words - it will work, but wear out your heads.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

LimaBiker posted:

DAT data tapes work in an audio recorder, but the composition of the magnetic coating is different (rougher) which is not compatible with audio DAT heads from a wear point of view. In other words - it will work, but wear out your heads.

Thanks! I doubt I'd have figured that out on my own.

So if I ever get my hands on a DAT audio recorder I could check if it works with those tapes at least.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Stack'em up!

Would love to get a Denon DAT and MD player as well, but they're rare and expensive.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Props for the E-rotic tape, that sure was an era!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:rackem:

All these racks of hifi stuff holy crap

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
always appreciate a nice rack

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It was somewhat popular (among many competing formats) for computer data backups.

DDS tapes were based on DAT, and I think the early versions were interchangeable with DAT cassettes but it’s been a long time since I’ve had to use either in a production environment.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

afen posted:

Stack'em up!

Would love to get a Denon DAT and MD player as well, but they're rare and expensive.

Oh yeah, I had some Denon too.

The MD player was pretty nice, but it had a mechanism made by Sharp, and those have a close to 100% failure rate.

Man I hate having sold off all my good tape decks. I don't hate the apartment and eventually house I got with the money I made repairing and flipping hifi though.

evobatman has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meanwhile I'm trying to get rid of my Denon receiver... it spent like 6 years holding up my monitor and powering speakers for work music, but I finally got a pair of monitor arms and replaced the receiver with a $50 amplifier off Amazon that's about the size of pack of cigarettes.

The Denon sounded good and all but it dissipated like 100W and goddamn electricity is expensive in California, not gonna run that thing 8 hours a day.