Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Jedit posted:

That's a steal, but it is the first book in a duology and the second one isn't out until next year and it ends on a cliffhanger.

Ok I'm gonna bank into the TBR pile. I don't enjoy picking up a sequel and not remembering the previous one very well. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mewse posted:

Tolstoy wrote about this with war and peace - glad Asimov was breaking new ground

Yeah I'll get right on reading War and Peace in elementary school.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

mewse posted:

Tolstoy wrote about this with war and peace - glad Asimov was breaking new ground

War and peace doesn’t have robots and, at less than 1200 pages total, is barely novel length. Fly away, troll

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

You're still in elementary school?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
war and peace was good, actually :smuggo:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Awkward Davies posted:

war and peace was good, actually :smuggo:

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Jedit posted:

Then you'll be glad to hear that there's an entire album of Tolkien reciting and singing his own work. I probably still have it somewhere.

Cool, it certainly seems to be a youtube rabbit hole. It’s fun to hear him clearly get so revved up at the charge of the Rohirrim at Minas Tirith.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Ravenfood posted:

"War and Peace in elementary school" sounds like it could be a really fun and meaningful book if done well.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

At least it's easy to know what it's about because Tolstoy keeps turning to the camera and saying "The great man theory is bollocks"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Qwertycoatl posted:

At least it's easy to know what it's about because Tolstoy keeps turning to the camera and saying "The great man theory is bollocks"

The book has an entire epilogue on the specific topic!

War and Peace rules, and is set far enough back and far enough away from US/UK history to seem like a fantasy novel. It's one of my very favorite books ever.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

habeasdorkus posted:

The book has an entire epilogue on the specific topic!

War and Peace rules, and is set far enough back and far enough away from US/UK history to seem like a fantasy novel. It's one of my very favorite books ever.

:cheersdoge: not to mention it features Pierre, one of the gooniest main characters in fiction

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ClydeFrog posted:

Very excited about this. I was going to wait but then remembered the talk about how important pre-orders can be.

I've already bought All In because I really enjoyed the pre-publication PDF I got on preview. Would other goon authors please mind posting if they have something coming out I can do the same for? I read a lot (I mean we aren't talking StrixNebulosa levels who I imagine as a human library ;) but it is a few books a week) and would like to send money to some fellow forum posters. Would it be possible to add Goon Author Books to the OP at all as they come up?

Oh drat I forgot that this was being written. I've been too busy to read/check-in on this thread, but happy that I came in just now to mention a Murderbot short story just showed up in my email-amazon-following-Martha Wells feature which is the first time that feature has been useful too me. Thanks for mentioning this.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I am aware of the fact that Russian kids are forced to read many thick classics in their schooling.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

when your country has a massive inferiority complex and also drops like 3 of the best 5 novels ever written you make everyone read them as soon as possible

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

when your country has a massive inferiority complex and also drops like 3 of the best 5 novels ever written you make everyone read them as soon as possible

What are the three? W&P, Crime and Punishment, and Anna Karenina? Brothers Karamazov?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MockingQuantum posted:

What are the three? W&P, Crime and Punishment, and Anna Karenina? Brothers Karamazov?

my secret plan to turn this thread into the Russian lit mega thread is based on sparking this debate :getin:…for me personally it’s w&p, crime and punishment and Anna karenina but I could have just said 4 of 5 and included a day in the life of Ivan denisovitch too.

don’t even get me started on the short stories, the pevear and volokhonsky Chekhov collection is so good

to make it sf&f adjacent, George Saunders (author of “Lincoln in the bardo”) has a book collecting Russian short stories with essays discussing each one called “a swim in the pond in the rain” that’s mind blowingly good especially for the writers itt

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I read Oblomov in high school because I wanted to impress my English teacher and it ended up being one of my favorite books

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Solzhenitsyn's politics suck, but he's a hell of a novelist.

Except for 1914. I blame the translation, because a novel set on the Eastern Front in 1914 from the Russian POV is extremely my jam, but I can only get pages into that drat book.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

Also when cultural genocide is one of the main tools of nation building.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

buffalo all day posted:

my secret plan to turn this thread into the Russian lit mega thread is based on sparking this debate :getin:…for me personally it’s w&p, crime and punishment and Anna karenina but I could have just said 4 of 5 and included a day in the life of Ivan denisovitch too.

don’t even get me started on the short stories, the pevear and volokhonsky Chekhov collection is so good

to make it sf&f adjacent, George Saunders (author of “Lincoln in the bardo”) has a book collecting Russian short stories with essays discussing each one called “a swim in the pond in the rain” that’s mind blowingly good especially for the writers itt

Day in the life of Ivan D has the bonus of being short.

I read a lot of Russia lit in high school, I should go back to it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
How soon people forget Eugene Onegin

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Who?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Xtanstic posted:

a Murderbot short story just showed up in my email-amazon-following-Martha Wells feature

a new one? i thought the only upcoming murderbot release was in november?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

buffalo all day posted:

I still remember Diary of a Madman and The Nose vividly, I was in a Russian Sci Fi and Fantasy class in college and there's some wildly awesome stuff.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Just finished Origin Complex, sequel to Steel Frame. Not mech-centred like the first one but still really good.

I ended up getting it from somewhere called scarlet ferret. It seems like a legit site, small range but hopefully it’s giving more of a cut to the authors than Amazon.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Cold Iron (Masters & Mages #1) by Miles Cameron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L5669Y/

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to think Quillifer is a stupid rear end in a top hat in the first book. Don't worry, the last half is really good, and the second and third book continue from that trend instead of being a bumbling drunk rear end in a top hat who's too clever for his own good.
I bought the first book on sale some time ago, and picked it up to read Wednesday.

I’ve now completed all three and done basically nothing else.

I’m not claiming they’re great literature, but goddamn they were what I needed and I could not put them down, it’s an odd mix of sub genres and unusually colorful writing, along with a some terrific narrative twists.

I think my favorite part is that it’s never really clear what is true and what is exaggeration, or even lies, as it’s all from the mouth of the protagonist, who clearly has his own agenda.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
lol literally thought Larry was back for a second

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

WarpDogs posted:

Don’t scare me like that!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Nabokov didn't.

The Opera version is also getting rebroadcast in theatre's on a pretty wide release as part of the Met Operas Summer Encore Series. Next Wednesday I believe. So get your tickets if your interested.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Doktor Avalanche posted:

a new one? i thought the only upcoming murderbot release was in november?

It looks like it's a more fleshed out short story that was recently published. It was only a buck and I love Murderbot so I just grabbed it. https://www.amazon.ca/Compulsory-Martha-Wells-ebook/dp/B0CD39L16K/

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I found this from other threads.

SA Authors

All collated in one handy place

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm giving up on A Memory Called Empire about 25% in. I find the plot superficially similar to The Goblin Emperor, in that it's (somewhat implausibly) whirlwind court intrigue drama with a main character thrust into a leading role they're not ready for, except in AMCE it makes even less sense because she was specifically trained to fulfill her role, albeit hurriedly. Besides that, I have the same problem that both of them are rather unimaginative settings that really had little reason to be SFF at all and could have just been historical fiction. Perhaps that's a little unfair with AMCE because the imago implant that contains the memories/psyche of a predecessor is somewhat central to the plot, but the main character's breaks almost immediately and thereafter does little besides generating her anxiety.

More to the point, though, a lot of people seem to praise AMCE's worldbuilding, and I just... don't get it. I can understand people enjoying the murder mystery/court intrigue even if I didn't and won't, but nothing about the universe seems particularly compelling. The empire is vast and sprawling, spanning most of the galaxy, but most of it is only vaguely hinted at. Lsel Station has a population of 30,000 and has some outsized importance that isn't particularly well-explained, and a culture that's only sketched out in brief. They want to avoid being annexed by the empire but rely on a solitary ambassador who rarely informs them of anything he does. The new ambassador arrives - again alone - at the capital city and jewel of the empire, an ecumenopolis/planet-city later stated to have a population of a few hundred thousand. The gently caress!? How tiny is this planet? It's described as having some tall towers and a large subway/train network with buildings covering most of the surface. I can't say I enjoy long-winded and detailed descriptions of architecture but there's virtually nothing here to express alien-ness, grandiosity or a particular flavour of post-scarcity society.

The Teixcalaan culture is apparently obsessed with poetry but it's vastly complicated and untranslatable, so... who cares? Like with architecture and planning, I don't need pages and pages of detailed descriptions, but something to give an impression or understanding. Iain Banks did a decent job sketching the titular games in Player of Games without attaching an appendix of rulesets (like the drat naming scheme in The Goblin Emperor). Teixcalaan comes with its own inane naming scheme of Number Noun which I suppose is a matter of taste. Other than that, the other sci-fi element is the Google glass cloudhooks that empire citizens wear over one eye that haven't really particularly figured into the plot and apparently don't do much later on either.

The first breakfast they eat is a boiled paste that has been processed for 16 hours to remove the naturally-occurring cyanide in the tubers it's made out of. It's delicious. I rolled my eyes but was at least reminded of an amusing review of the second Ancillary book. Something mildly traumatic happens and someone makes a soothing tea, luxuriously using fresh leaves instead of the old batch that had been there for a week (but would normally have been used for another week, since the stuff is expensive as it's an obsession in that particular space empire). "That's not how tea works!! What the gently caress!", the reviewer sputtered. I feel you.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I thought it was a decently written book, but the anti-imperialist and lesbian angle does a lot more heavy lifting than in some other books with that particular combo I could name...

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

eXXon posted:

The first breakfast they eat is a boiled paste that has been processed for 16 hours to remove the naturally-occurring cyanide in the tubers it's made out of. It's delicious. I rolled my eyes but was at least reminded of an amusing review of the second Ancillary book. Something mildly traumatic happens and someone makes a soothing tea, luxuriously using fresh leaves instead of the old batch that had been there for a week (but would normally have been used for another week, since the stuff is expensive as it's an obsession in that particular space empire). "That's not how tea works!! What the gently caress!", the reviewer sputtered. I feel you.

Behold the deep science fiction lore of the Cassava tuber, which has to be soaked in water for 24+ hours.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
also thats definitely a reasonable extrapolation of how some oolong teas could be handled if the expense were an issue

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ClydeFrog posted:

I found this from other threads.

SA Authors

All collated in one handy place

Heh, I did link it in here when I made it, but the more people seeing it the better!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We accidentally made coffee the other day without swapping the grounds.

That does not work well at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

buffalo all day posted:

:cheersdoge: not to mention it features Pierre, one of the gooniest main characters in fiction
...all I'm saying is there's a reason Confederacy of Dunces is the great American novel