Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

coelomate posted:

PSA: They said they buffed nightmare dungeon density, but at least some regular dungeons got buffed big time too.

Domhainne Tunnels part 1 has absolutely insane mob density, and running it then resetting the dungeon (ignore the prisoners) is the fastest XP I've ever seen in the game for a rogue alt I just started.

Exploit early and exploit often!

It's crazy how much better plowing through a cave full of mobs feels than running the dungeon the intended way. People joke about wanting to have a hallway full of mobs but clicking on monsters is always more fun than stopping to click on NPCs tied to poles...unless I have to click on EVERY monster without missing any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_SllpH9bA

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I saw the play-with-a-dev diablo 4 video blizzard put out yesterday... and uh, it does explain a fair bit, and not in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-G3j00RQ1U

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Why would they do this.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I saw the play-with-a-dev diablo 4 video blizzard put out yesterday... and uh, it does explain a fair bit, and not in a good way.

idgi they seem to be having fun

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Just glad to be working

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Grabbed the stopwatch (app) and put some numbers on the Dopamine Tunnels Grind:

Each run takes my TB rogue 2:45 - 3:00 minutes. At level 20, each run (T1) was worth an entire level. That eventually slowed to ~50% of a level, and at level 41 it dipped just under that so on an empty bar it takes 3 runs.

The levels came so fast that stopping to read the skill tree and figure out where to assign skill points felt like it was slowing me down :staredog:

Love this for alts. Reminds me of the joy of getting some good gear and blasting up an alt in D2. The renown grind makes it suboptimal for most of a first character's life, and glyph xp means it won't be optimal forever.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

like gently caress I have 3 more skill points how did that happen where should they go idk

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Having fun spamming primaries while on full rage for minutes at a time yes, and dying to WT1 at level 50

Do you know what promotional material is? It's supposed to show things in a positive light. If you don't get it, that's cool though.

It's like when they first revealed Doom 2016 and played it like a walking simulator and walking around shooting 1 enemy at a time

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’m not gonna watch it but are they like gameplay or systems designers or are they like, environmental artists?

i mean if they’re the latter they shouldn’t be in an interview about games systems but even if they are the former, not every game developer needs to be a Yoshi P in order to design good systems

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Vic's ~hateposting~ falls so short when there's this kinda content delivered straight from blizzard, what the hell

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hey y'all this is your favorite Diablo dev here, time to Pokemon GO save sanctuary

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Say what you will, nobody could ever accuse them of using a guide.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Barb has Ground Stomp(12-16 second cooldown), Deathblow(15 second cooldown per charge and 0 CD if it kills), Leap(12-16 second cooldown) and Iron Maelstrom(45 second cooldown reduced by weapon swapping.) Their left click is Lunging for mobility and fury gen and Upheaval for fury dump.

What they do is hold left click for minutes at a time and sometimes press one of their buttons. They should be unloading Maelstrom on cooldown the second they see a group of enemies or an elite, then using Leap(keyed to a weapon) and Death Blow(keyed to a different weapon) along with Lunging(the third weapon) or Upheaval(likely locked to 2H Blunt) to have all 3 cycling for a 20 second Maelstrom CD. Stomp and Leap let them get into crowds and control them better, especially with aspects that give either an earthquake AoE that also buffs your damage/damage resistance(has at least one of those.) Deathblow should be used very proactively because it's either a 150%(better on elites/bosses) damage spike or a free instant no-fury-cost attack for blendering through any enemy with low base HP(lil guys) or significant damage. Even if you consistently miss it it's free damage on a mid cooldown that'll refresh as you walk to the next pack.

Oh and for gods sake when resource orb full, dump resource with Upheaval. Flashy aoe with more damage better than pecking enemy to death.

Not doing these things gives the appearance that they're incompetent and the kind of person we mock in this thread for begging for build guides and getting "have you tried playing the game and reading the tooltips" in response. If you have a chip on your shoulder that D4 could've been more complex and see this video then lol, and there it is in the comments. They're doing all this while dying in WT1 or "AFK/Speedrun Difficulty."

For any jaded veteran arpg player the idea that this type of player has a hand in the game dev is like "ah, no wonder the top end sucks, the devs themselves are too stupid to play at it." Yes this is 1-2 people out of hundreds to thousands, yes it's entirely possible they're more focused on chatting and not playing like pros, but I don't think the devs themselves should put out easy fodder for being attacked. They did the same before release and it honestly made me think the game seemed a lot worse than it turned out to be. If nothing else it's poor marketing.

harrygomm posted:

i’m not gonna watch it but are they like gameplay or systems designers or are they like, environmental artists?

i mean if they’re the latter they shouldn’t be in an interview about games systems but even if they are the former, not every game developer needs to be a Yoshi P in order to design good systems

They don't gotta be Yoshi P but the fanbase would find it pretty odd if they didn't press their buttons while blundering during a class rework video for 7.0!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 13, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

of course the YouTube comments are full of people saying the devs are bad and the game is bad because of diversity hires, truly every drop of their impotent rage has been misdirected by con artists lmao

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

harrygomm posted:

not every game developer needs to be a Yoshi P in order to design good systems

:laffo: that's where the bar is?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

No wonder they love the part where you pick up an item to put it on a pedestal in their dungeon design lol

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hoarfrost demise is a fun dungeon. Find and kill the three things, then kill the boss thing. The 3 things are easy to find and 1 will roughly lead you to the next and to the next. Don't have to slay all (ie chase down that 1 red dot you left behind somewhere that didn't teleport to the next mob) and don't have to backtrack and don't have to carry stone thingamajigs.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

theyre environmental designers, its pretty deranged to be this mad that they arent playing the game optimally

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

theyre environmental designers, its pretty deranged to be this mad that they arent playing the game optimally

If you want mad check the comments. I explained it and I'm not that invested that Blizzard repeated a silly marketing blunder. :tipshat:

"They're not class designers" doesn't hold water for a gameplay demo that could be coached in three sentences and the set-up person assigning the weapon used before letting those two play. "If you see enemies press 2 or left click to reach them, if enemies are near press 1-3-4 or right click at them, left click if your right click doesn't work."

I sympathize with the importance of gameplay design for new and casual gamers as many savvier gamers entirely forget that they ever were bad/new and that everybody has their first. The video is still red meat to the lousy parts of the fanbase.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Doomykins posted:

If you want mad check the comments. I explained it and I'm not that invested that Blizzard repeated a silly marketing blunder. :tipshat:

"They're not class designers" doesn't hold water for a gameplay demo that could be coached in three sentences and the set-up person assigning the weapon used before letting those two play. "If you see enemies press 2 or left click to reach them, if enemies are near press 1 3 and 4, left click if your right click doesn't work."

I sympathize with the importance of gameplay design for new and casual gamers as many savvier gamers entirely forget that they ever were bad/new and that everybody has their first. The video is still red meat to the lousy parts of the fanbase.

im not going to read the comments and im also not going to read your extremely mad looking paragraphs about this

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hoarfrost demise is a fun dungeon. Find and kill the three things, then kill the boss thing. The 3 things are easy to find and 1 will roughly lead you to the next and to the next. Don't have to slay all (ie chase down that 1 red dot you left behind somewhere that didn't teleport to the next mob) and don't have to backtrack and don't have to carry stone thingamajigs.

it's also sparkly and pretty :unsmith:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

coelomate posted:

it's also sparkly and pretty :unsmith:

i regret to inform you that you are playing the game wrong

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

She talking about getting together in meetings to play test the dungeons and poo poo... Who wants these people offering gameplay input lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im not going to read the comments and im also not going to read your extremely mad looking paragraphs about this

I can see why you're defending people who don't read tooltips.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

flashman posted:

She talking about getting together in meetings to play test the dungeons and poo poo... Who wants these people offering gameplay input lol

do you want the dungeons to be harder because ive got good news for you, they have a mechanic where you can do that

Kashekya
Dec 11, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

These two are probably the best and most hardcore players at Blizzard.

Imagine if a car company did a commercial for a newly released car. Then the people they chose to drive the car didn’t have licenses and repeatedly crashed the car…and then chose to release that commercial, thinking it would put the company in a good light.

Thats whats happening here.

We've all spent years wondering 'What is wrong with Blizzard' and now we understand everything. Incredible.

After watching this I have become enlightened. Everything makes complete sense now. I miss the old Blizzard...a lot.

D4 is clearly the first game the senior dungeon designer has played. Designed to waste time

Why is it that the game devs never seem like they're the kind of people who are playing their games...?

Have two “diverse” devs on your stream: check
Have devs that suck at the game on your stream: check
Have devs who clearly have no clue how to design a game on your stream: check
Think it was a good idea to do any of this in the first place on stream: check

Seems par for the course for Blizzard these days. Just gotta hit that diversity quota and roll out a minimum viable product and you’re set! Nothing else matters!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I dig the corporate website graphics designer energy.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Vic posted:

I dig the corporate website graphics designer energy.

Overwatch is almost literally corporate art: the video game

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

do you want the dungeons to be harder because ive got good news for you, they have a mechanic where you can do that

Are you surprised that if the people play testing the easy mode of the dungeons are struggling with the sparse density and bosses the game was released as a walking simulator?

People don't need to be good at the game to design tile sets or w.e, they should be good at the game to test the playability.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Or perhaps good and demonstrating a modicum of knowledge when being involved in promotional material. That's apparently too radical for a fair number of goons here

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i dont know why you expect the people testing the dungeons to be obsessive arpg types given this is the biggest game theyve released in 9 years. the game sold absolute gangbusters, they clearly were expecting a pretty signifigant casual playerbase and judging by the sales numbers they did a good job designing to that market. the end game challenge is its own game. the idea this game wasnt primarily marketed to the worst posters on this website doesnt bother me but if it bothers you thats kind of your problem

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I mean I would be mentally checked out after years of working on these muddy corridors and having endless meetings where Greg gives his feedback on the fun thing you added into one of them.

If I'm working at the Sex Pest HQ in Irvine with a daily 2 hour LA traffic commute, I'm all about that money. Here I'll press some buttons on camera for you check this out.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Vic posted:

I mean I would be mentally checked out after years of working on these muddy corridors and having endless meetings where Greg gives his feedback on the fun thing you added into one of them.

If I'm working at the Sex Pest HQ in Irvine with a daily 2 hour LA traffic commute, I'm all about that money. Here I'll press some buttons on camera for you check this out.

if you are somehow the most reasonable person itt we are going to see a morbidly obese guy in a tee fury poo poo shooting up blizzard hq within the week

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

cool post buddy

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i dont know why you expect the people testing the dungeons to be obsessive arpg types given this is the biggest game theyve released in 9 years. the game sold absolute gangbusters, they clearly were expecting a pretty signifigant casual playerbase and judging by the sales numbers they did a good job designing to that market. the end game challenge is its own game. the idea this game wasnt primarily marketed to the worst posters on this website doesnt bother me but if it bothers you thats kind of your problem

Lol why would you expect the playtesters to be reasonably competent at the game! It sold alot so they must be doing it right!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Too radical indeed

How about a good faith conclusion being that yes of course Blizzard is comprised of hundreds of developers and a good number of them don't really play games. That's understandable. I don't drive the cars I work on. But as I have said to you - twice in fact - when promotional public-facing footage is shown then there's perhaps an incentive to show people who at least do generator>spenders and don't die to WT1 at level 50? That's not being 'obsessive arpg types', that's basic mechanics that you start off with at level 1 and nothing else. When a game is played decently well the footage looks more attractive and appealing. Just food for thought

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 13, 2023

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Vic posted:

Videogame companies are notorious for underpaying. The people working there are because they are passionate about gaming, desperate, or looking to get a big name on their resume.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Several hours, a shitload of clicking, a bunch of farming runs, and over a full level after my wolf hat dropped I'm finally ready to go. At level 80, I'm ready to start playing my spec for the season! Viva la investment!

harrygomm posted:

Sounded like they just built the building blocks that'd fit together and made sure there were spots for objectives and pylons and whatnot. Make the corridors, ensure the doors work, fix cases that'd lead to unwinnable maps, etc. Just another cog like artists or accountants or any number of other people who are vital to the game but have no say in how it plays. As far as I can tell the internet is implying that them sucking at the game itself shows why <insert_game_problem_here> happened. One of them looked ready to kill if it meant getting some sleep. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just thing that was a real nothing of a video. not sure why they even released it? i dont think i actually learned anything interesting from it, compared to some deep dives you get from devs