Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is this a change for the DS remake? Because in the original you got QuadHit from the Warrior+Fighter advanced class (Battlemaster?) which was 4 hits and I'm pretty sure it had zero cost as well so you could just spam it every round of a fight if you wanted.

QuadHit was four hits of 50% damage and Sword Dance was four hits of 75% damage. So it was about 50% better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I’ve always found the original version of 7 a much more compelling game. It definitely seems harder then the 3ds version and I really like the graphics.

Also it’s just neat to marvel how we got that game localized at all back then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sword dance is still in the 3ds version, but iirc it is only on one human class and one advanced monster class. it's not nearly as accessible.

the original opening of psx 7 gets a lot of poo poo for how long and obtuse it is, but i think 3ds 7 went too far the other way. it's too short, too simple, too easy. it's still probably better to play it on 3ds overall, though.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
The real reason to play the 3DS version is the extremely cute class outfits Ruff and his wolf mom get to wear.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sword dance is still in the 3ds version, but iirc it is only on one human class and one advanced monster class. it's not nearly as accessible.

the original opening of psx 7 gets a lot of poo poo for how long and obtuse it is, but i think 3ds 7 went too far the other way. it's too short, too simple, too easy. it's still probably better to play it on 3ds overall, though.

It’s Pirate’s last skill and one of the umpteen that Hero (vocation) gets, but yeah at least browsing a wiki page with learn lists for both it was probably the wrong call to make every advanced vocation endgame-ready to “compensate” for not mastering skills, with an increased skill loadout and also take less battles to master. Probably the latter would have been more than enough.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

They buffed Knuckle Sandwich in the 3DS version of 7, so I never really missed sword dance in that version.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

1 2 and 3 don't really have all that much to them, so the future versions that just make the games more pleasant don't really have any competition beyond nostalgia.

4 5 and 6 on DS are arguably some of the best Remakes the world has ever seen, so it's a no brainer.

But 7 and 8 were more sidegrades than anything that honestly kind of didn't know what they were doing. If you absolutely had to pick objectively? They're an iota better. But like Symbol Encounters in THE random encounter series just doesn't work even for 8 which did it well, much less 7 which literally increased the encounter rate by suckkng at it. 11 deserves a ton of respect making it work. So I sit there trying to decide which version of both to play and end up just not playing them since if I can't go all in, it's hard to justify these games that can very much reach 100 hours.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DQ4 on DS you'll want to dig up the patch to restore party chat to the English version but otherwise it is the best version of DQ4 yeah.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

A Sometimes Food posted:

DQ4 on DS you'll want to dig up the patch to restore party chat to the English version but otherwise it is the best version of DQ4 yeah.

I have a story about this.
I got blocked towards the end so I never beat DQ4 as a kid.
Then in 2014 I replayed it, and beat it.
2 weeks later they announced mobile with party chat, I was so mad.
I spent years trying to play it but failed and lost progress several times cuz new phones and the cloud saves not working or something.
I kinda value being able to name my dude so I'm not a big fan of the patch though and all the little ways it breaks the game.

It finally has a happy end.
Last year I loved a mobile game so much it literally rewired my DNA, so now games on my phone don't bother me. I enjoyed DQ4 so much, I played and beat and read all the lps of dq1&2 too, which is why I'm here.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'd call DQ8 3DS the definitive version even if the only positive change it made was putting monsters on the field instead of random encounters tbh. PS2 version is fine but 3DS version is a clear upgrade.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, that and the two extra characters, and I think an extra dungeon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I need to figure out how to mod VIII3DS, I liked what I saw of the remake but the original ost…it’s so bad, man. At least XI was done by a (very not pleasant) man in his eighties, VIII was Sugiyama just being determined to suck in its base un-orchestrated form.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

I need to figure out how to mod VIII3DS, I liked what I saw of the remake but the original ost…it’s so bad, man. At least XI was done by a (very not pleasant) man in his eighties, VIII was Sugiyama just being determined to suck in its base un-orchestrated form.

It is stupidly easy to do and totally worth it. You can play NES/SNES/GBA/GBC/GBA/DS games on it too.

Also PS1 DW7 is the best version. I'll die on that hill :D

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh no, I modded my 3DS already, I mean specifically converting my physical cartridge to a digital file and applying the music patch someone made to reintroduce the orchestrated OST.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's not that difficult, at least for the orchestrated music mod IIRC. It's all detailed here on the Luma custom firmware wiki but the basic process is to hold Select when booting the 3DS and making sure the "Enable game patching" option is on, then you create luma/titles/000400000018F100/romfs (assuming you're playing the US release, you can look up the titleid for the European and/or Japanese version on 3dsdb.com) on the 3DS' SD card and dump the patch in there. I tried to get the mod that restored the altered costumes working as well, but it didn't wanna work. I think that one might have been designed for a pre-Luma custom firmware's way of handling mods, though. Or I might just be dumb.

EDIT:

Last Celebration posted:

Oh no, I modded my 3DS already, I mean specifically converting my physical cartridge to a digital file and applying the music patch someone made to reintroduce the orchestrated OST.
Dumping your cartridge and converting it to an installable cia file can be done in a few steps with Godmode9, I'm going to bed now so I'm not going to dig up the instructions for it but also you don't strictly need to do it to use the orchestral music mod, Luma supports patching a game on the fly so you don't have to permanently mess with the game's files or anything and the cartridge uses the same titleid as the digital version IIRC.

EDIT EDIT: Also you might want to actually play on your carts, I think I remember hearing something about how the flash memory they use needs to be refreshed by booting the game in a 3DS every so often in order to stay good.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 13, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nihilarian posted:

I'd call DQ8 3DS the definitive version even if the only positive change it made was putting monsters on the field instead of random encounters tbh. PS2 version is fine but 3DS version is a clear upgrade.

Symbol Encounter is the official terminology for that. Like I said, not a fan even though 8 didn't really do it badly, it's just not designed for it.
The extra content all being locked to the last 25% also just makes me kinda hard to get super hype.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
For Dragon Quest III, there are only three good versions, in my opinion:

NES/Famicom: Wouldn’t recommend, but was still a good game and it’s the only version with this aesthetic.

Super Famicom: The clear cut best version of DQ3 in my opinion. It adds so much to the GBC version and looks and sounds so good that when you’re talking DQ3 ports, it’s all about how something stacks up to this. The problem is that the English translation patch is reportedly rather buggy.

Game Boy Color: This is a solid way to play the game in English and might even have the best translation depending on your taste for modern DQ translation writing. It has all of the features from the SFC version plus a little more, and while aesthetically it’s obviously not as good, they really tried their best and it has its own charm to it. I think this is the second best version.

Everything else: Every other version of DQ3 has made some significant content and aesthetics cuts, smooshed together assets that don’t mesh well, force you into portrait mode to play it, and have probably the worst translation available. I genuinely think they’re all hot garbage compared to the SFC and GBC remakes, so if you can’t play one of the three above, I would say wait until the HD-2D remake which looks set to be the best version of the game since the SFC release.

And to be clear, I really do think DQ3 is worth playing today. It’s one of the last games of its kind (basically a classic 80s CRPG) but also one of the best examples of that. Just don’t settle for one of the shittier versions.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 20, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I disagree, I think it's a tossup between SNES and Switch.
Switch has the best translation and playability vs SNES having the best content loadout.
It is bizarre that 1 and 2 got remasters that brought them in line with the rest of the series and are definitive, but 3 just got another port though, really threw me off when I started.
Guess there is a reason for that 2.5HD one to exist even if it doesnt have canon party members added, still not a great one though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

isnt a full remake of 3 coming

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Meowywitch posted:

isnt a full remake of 3 coming

Thats the 2.5D one, what little they showed of it just looks like a fancy remaster, but no guarantee of all the content or being a full remake that updates the story to modern standards.
It's also been dead silent for 2 entire years to my knowledge.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The redone localizations in the mobile/Switch versions of 1-3 are really good (unless you hate what the style has been since 2005, in which case there's really no helping you), and I feel like in the case of 3 in particular it more than makes up for being in all other respects the worst of the remakes.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Notably the HD2D remake is bringing back animated monsters for the first time since the GBC release. People are probably gonna think they’re part of the remake’s new features, that’s how long it’s been since we’ve gotten a release with them.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Even though it got a remake, SE also released a newly translated SNES ROM of Trials of Mana in Collection of Mana. I don’t think the remake has co-op so it’s still worth having for that.

Apart from the mobile ports of 1-3 and 8, I think every version of every DQ game is unique and worth preserving and playing. Even if DQIII HD-2D is the best version, I still love the NES, SFC and GBC versions and would still pay to have them on Switch

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

That loving Sned posted:

Even though it got a remake, SE also released a newly translated SNES ROM of Trials of Mana in Collection of Mana. I don’t think the remake has co-op so it’s still worth having for that.

Apart from the mobile ports of 1-3 and 8, I think every version of every DQ game is unique and worth preserving and playing. Even if DQIII HD-2D is the best version, I still love the NES, SFC and GBC versions and would still pay to have them on Switch

I love the GBC version since that's the one I played as a kid. I never finished it back then, but a few years back I dug out my GBC to play through it. It's my favorite DQ game, and now that I have my steam deck set up for GBC games I can use that to have the handheld experience on a bigger screen.

It's wild going back to an actual GBC though, they're so portable and the batteries last forever.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Genovera posted:

I love the GBC version since that's the one I played as a kid. I never finished it back then, but a few years back I dug out my GBC to play through it. It's my favorite DQ game, and now that I have my steam deck set up for GBC games I can use that to have the handheld experience on a bigger screen.

It's wild going back to an actual GBC though, they're so portable and the batteries last forever.

I can't play a lot of the really old portables now as my hands are too big. I want to dig out my copy of Final Fantasy Legend I and put it in my GBA SP just to see if my old save is still there, but I couldn't play it on that tiny system. I can play a 3DS XL, my Switch and my Odin, but that's about it. I still have my original DS, but it's just too small. I also have my trapezoidal GBA, but that's too small and also has no backlighting.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I’ve been playing DW Monsters for the first time and having a blast, any critical information I should know? I have been running Golem/Dragon/Healslime and it’s been going smooth, have cleared F class. When should I start caring about breeding?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I’ve been playing DW Monsters for the first time and having a blast, any critical information I should know? I have been running Golem/Dragon/Healslime and it’s been going smooth, have cleared F class. When should I start caring about breeding?
The GB original? Basically I breed instantly when I hit level 15ish (10 is the level to be able to) - there are random NPCs standing around town that have one-time offers to breed with your choice of your monster and they have pretty reasonably levelled monsters with pretty good stats, the speedrun uses one of those to get something you can't easily get early and then steamrolls. Don't breed your entire team at once, you want at least one to carry you through random encounters while you relevel the others, but if you're not deliberately looking up and going for the big poo poo early (like Divinegon you can get pretty early, but then it takes 100 xp to go level 1->2 and only rises from there) you'll be back on level in no time when you fight trash.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

JustJeff88 posted:

I also have my trapezoidal GBA, but that's too small and also has no backlighting.

You can get it modded for that. PM Monitor Burn (he's also got a thread in SA Mart).

Team SFC DQ3 over here. Although I'd also recommend the GBC version because it's super-impressive what they did with the hardware and a mega-capacity cartridge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

If you're playing the original GB game, making a grizzly will give you a physical powerhouse for the rest of the game.

And in every Monsters game, you should start breeding the second it becomes available imo.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

You can get it modded for that. PM Monitor Burn (he's also got a thread in SA Mart).

Really great that that is available, but it would still be too bloody small and I would rather just use ROMs and play on hardware that's made for a grown man.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Demo!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1702346769336787252

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Awesome, think the save data will transfer to the full game?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

KingSlime posted:

Awesome, think the save data will transfer to the full game?

The popup at the start said your data will carry over, as will your monster roster... except stuff like levels won't carry over? At least that's what it sounded like to me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Levels not carrying over seems weird but maybe they don't want people going nuts and making a bunch of max level stuff in the demo, I guess?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Typically, you can do some INSANELY broken poo poo very early game in monsters series titles that isn't tied to level. For example, in Joker 3 pro, if you scouted something like 64 of the stripped cat monsters that you can encounter 2 minutes into the game and breed them all with each other, you ended up with the Cat Rebellion boss monster from DQX that was S rank. It works this way because as you breed them with themselves, they slowly upgrade to the next version of the said monster after 2 generations due to the fact that parent monsters are also calculated in breeding. Then you do the same with the next powerful version of that monster to get an even more powerful version. Then you eventually end with the boss monster.

I might gently caress around with it a bit to see what sort of crazy poo poo I can get away with.

Edit: Looks like the demo doesn't let you synth higher than rank F monsters

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 15, 2023

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

When does the demo end? I made to the second Nadiria zone and stopped at the town.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Zaggitz posted:

When does the demo end? I made to the second Nadiria zone and stopped at the town.

It ends when you enter the cave where the "son trapped by lava" quest leads

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Only played it for a few mins but maaaan I think the game is gonna own. Very much direct sequel to the 3ds games vibes which is excellent

My only two pet peeves are that performance in the overworld could/should be smoother, and I'm so tired of hearing the same soundtrack over and over again!

I don't expect any new music at all and will enjoy the game just fine as long as it includes a ton of songs from all the dragon quest games but would it kill them to make an original song or two? Also I wonder if they are going to vary up the battle themes in normal encounters because it would be pretty boring if it's just the dragon quest 4 battle theme the entire game

The unique overworld song from the og dragon quest monsters is probably one of the best songs in the entire franchise in my opinion

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

KingSlime posted:

Only played it for a few mins but maaaan I think the game is gonna own. Very much direct sequel to the 3ds games vibes which is excellent

My only two pet peeves are that performance in the overworld could/should be smoother, and I'm so tired of hearing the same soundtrack over and over again!

I don't expect any new music at all and will enjoy the game just fine as long as it includes a ton of songs from all the dragon quest games but would it kill them to make an original song or two? Also I wonder if they are going to vary up the battle themes in normal encounters because it would be pretty boring if it's just the dragon quest 4 battle theme the entire game

The unique overworld song from the og dragon quest monsters is probably one of the best songs in the entire franchise in my opinion

The game has yet to be freed from the cold, lifeless clutches of Sugiyama. How many more must die?

Demo seems cool, standard monsters bullshit. Looks like they changed the + system into colored circles and portrait boarders or something, which is a little confusing because you don't see how far between values a monster is; the old system had power-level breaks at +1, +25, +50, +99 IIRC; the new system is either completely revamped, or uses a different colored dot/portrait boarder to designate certain values, but if it is just 1 for 1 the same as the old system, you can't tell if a monster is like +33 for example.

It is a bit annoying how limited the demo is in that you can't make monsters past F rank. If you truly wanted to grind out something in the demo, you could probably go for higher skill trees by resynthng the same monster over and over, slowly raising a skill until it caps and upgrades. That is a lot of work early game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Typically, you can do some INSANELY broken poo poo very early game in monsters series titles that isn't tied to level. For example, in Joker 3 pro, if you scouted something like 64 of the stripped cat monsters that you can encounter 2 minutes into the game and breed them all with each other, you ended up with the Cat Rebellion boss monster from DQX that was S rank. It works this way because as you breed them with themselves, they slowly upgrade to the next version of the said monster after 2 generations due to the fact that parent monsters are also calculated in breeding. Then you do the same with the next powerful version of that monster to get an even more powerful version. Then you eventually end with the boss monster.

I might gently caress around with it a bit to see what sort of crazy poo poo I can get away with.

Edit: Looks like the demo doesn't let you synth higher than rank F monsters

Well that's unfortunate. I saw that you couldn't scout the cyclops either but I guess it's to be expected that they don't want people to grind out a bunch of +99 mid-high rank monsters in the demo. :sigh:

I'm extremely hyped for it. Having a DQ4-based DQM game was not something I expected and I am here for it.

KingSlime posted:

Also I wonder if they are going to vary up the battle themes in normal encounters because it would be pretty boring if it's just the dragon quest 4 battle theme the entire game

I'd hope that at the very least it uses all of the DQ4 battle themes plus the usual DQM ones. Fighting the cyclops plays different/boss music at least.

BabyRyoga posted:

If you truly wanted to grind out something in the demo, you could probably go for higher skill trees by resynthng the same monster over and over, slowly raising a skill until it caps and upgrades. That is a lot of work early game, though.

The demo mentions that skills won't carry over so I suspect doing that would still end up with you going in to the main game with your team and them having default skillsets and the skill points refunded to whatever you'd have at that monster's level without any prior form stockpiling.