Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that I can totally see. Didn't she marry some Bro Country dude? I remember seeing her on the cover of people at work with one if those generic white guys with "faith and family" captions.

But yea Tragic Kingdom bangs.

She did. That other guy on Another poo poo Talent Show.

After, of course, she divorced Gavin Rossdale (another 90e icon) when he cheated on her for the maid.

Like, that was dumb of him totally but you gotta ask yourself: is she really that insufferable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah she's married to Blake Shelton and from what I remember it was quite the entanglement.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'll always remember the Don't Speak video becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.

A few years ago the non-Stefani members of No Doubt reformed under the singer from AFI and released an album under the name Dream Car. It's pretty alright.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hot take: Third wave ska was universally terrible.

Hotter take: Second wave ska was even worse.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

gently caress you I love ska

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I had a girlfriend in high school in the late 90’s who was a complete ska fiend, and every time we’d go out somewhere, she would seemingly have a new ska megamix CD that she made, and put it in the car player to listen to.

At first it was fine, but over time, it became the audio equivalent of water torture/extracting teeth.

To this day, I have a negative Pavlovian response to hearing ska. I’d sooner listen to audio of a dozen dogs barking at once, or the brown noise.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RBF, LTJ, and Streetlight put on one of the best shows I've been to and that was 2005

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
FYI they all still tour and there are regular ska fests.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gonz posted:

I had a girlfriend in high school in the late 90’s who was a complete ska fiend, and every time we’d go out somewhere, she would seemingly have a new ska megamix CD that she made, and put it in the car player to listen to.

At first it was fine, but over time, it became the audio equivalent of water torture/extracting teeth.

To this day, I have a negative Pavlovian response to hearing ska. I’d sooner listen to audio of a dozen dogs barking at once, or the brown noise.

TLDR: Gonz gets an involuntary boner every time he hears a band with a horn section

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is fishbone good?

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'll always remember the Don't Speak video becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.

A few years ago the non-Stefani members of No Doubt reformed under the singer from AFI and released an album under the name Dream Car. It's pretty alright.

I liked that Dreamcar album, though i had no clue the no doubt members were in it the first time I heard it :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Is fishbone good?

The Reality of My Surroundings is great, you should definitely pick it up.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Is fishbone good?

One of the best tracks on the Last Action Hero soundtrack

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s a trick.

The ENTIRE Last Action Hero soundtrack is S-tier listening.

Even the ska. Even the ska.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gonz posted:

Which of my exes are you?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYQznBD8oI

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You can take my Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish CDs* from my cold dead hands

*Spotify albums

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I still have all of my CDs :colbert: I even use them!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I kept RBG's Turn Off the Radio in my car for a good 10 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Beastie posted:

I kept RBG's Turn Off the Radio in my car for a good 10 years.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Croccers posted:

It's Cool to hate Ska, just like it's cool to still hate Disco.

I think 60s ska and later two-tone stuff is considered "cool", but not so much the late 90s stuff. I personally wouldn't go to bat for it ("Although Impression That I Get" blew my mind on release), but Tragic Kingdom in particular feels like a step above. Just a really slick 90s pop-rock album packed with bangers. Rancid are inescapably 90s too. Spent a lot of time on sticky dance floors to Time Bomb.

Not sure if they had any traction beyond the UK, and they just creek in to "90s" if we use the 9/11 rule, but this band had cred in my town's scene due to being a bit more hardcore influenced, being very left-wing and touring like hell, despite being a ska band.

https://youtu.be/DVeQTzLeseY

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Aug 13, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Are ska bands notoriously conservative

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Alaois posted:

Not really no.

Which is why it was really fuckin' disappointing when The Mighty Mighty Bosstones broke up because their lead turned out to be a poo poo-head anti-vaxxer.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Alaois posted:

Nah, but the late 90s wave were more of the comic-teen angst and the "soundtrack to an 11 year old getting extra mozzarella sticks" variety. All I meant was Capdown being openly political (Capdown was short for Capitalist Downfall) gave them a bit more leeway with the scene's cool punks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
apropos of ska (the theme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd8JpvRB3hs

Ep Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLhOnau-tupSuohABrrzcdRYevcz3l5yo

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

She would probably have the same reaction to ska as the name of that particular album.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Dang, I loved this show as a kid. Somehow I mentally combined it with All That in my memory though. Action Leage Now! was my favorite but I liked the weird claymation alien skits a lot as well.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Randallteal posted:

Dang, I loved this show as a kid. Somehow I mentally combined it with All That in my memory though. Action Leage Now! was my favorite but I liked the weird claymation alien skits a lot as well.

No I'm pretty sure it did start as a segment on All That and spun off.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

All this talk about ska and I saw a guy wearing a Aquabats shirt yesterday

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Randallteal posted:

Prometheus and Bob was the poo poo, Action League Now is a close second though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Prometheus and Bob was the poo poo, Action League Now is a close second though.

Sniz and Fondue was kind of like an off-brand Angry Beavers and I loved it

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kablaam owns and it’s all on archive.org.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

Kablaam owns and it’s all on archive.org.

lol I misspelled Kazam the same way at first when looking up youtube links

I wonder if the initial Mandela effect trigger was the memory of KaZaa or the memory of Kazaam

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Der-Wreck posted:

All this talk about ska and I saw a guy wearing a Aquabats shirt yesterday

Also a Nickelodeon show!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The only good ska is that jabberjaw song from cartoon network

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I got a gorilla for sale.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol I misspelled Kazam the same way at first when looking up youtube links

I wonder if the initial Mandela effect trigger was the memory of KaZaa or the memory of Kazaam

Well of it was KaZaa it would have been immediately followed up with an illness known as the Nimda Virus.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Q8azKb8.mp4

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I had a similar board game called The Grape Escape where you used molds to make little grape dudes out of play-doh and squished them in traps. Much like Mouse Trap, I never played the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Unperson_47 posted:

I had a similar board game called The Grape Escape where you used molds to make little grape dudes out of play-doh and squished them in traps. Much like Mouse Trap, I never played the actual game.

I had a Hey Koolaid! Hawaiian Punch game that was similar. I guess that should be in the 80's 70's thread.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8975/hawaiian-punch

I'm old.

PhotoKirk has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Aug 14, 2023