Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
#LockItIn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

SirPablo posted:

#LockItIn

Bad Day LA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can’t imagine many storms have gone right up that way

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Nora_(1997)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I live just about right under the "o" in "Stamford" and it looks like we're about to get our third thunderstorm of the day. Or, at least it seems that way based on checking lightningmaps.org and looking/listening out the window.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1690560090858803201?s=20

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is the white lady's rolex okay, though?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

there’s so much infrastructure available to stop them once you get into the urban area

infrastructure made out of wood and drywall?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s super uncommon for fires to get into built up areas like this, just because there’s so much infrastructure available to stop them once you get into the urban area, at least that’s the conventional wisdom, but this is the third time now in the last decade it’s happened in the US. Seems really bad if so

Nah. When a fire gets big enough it goes wherever the gently caress it wants. Like, you can dig fire breaks and try to protect critical infrastructure, but past a certain point, the primary focus is on getting people out of its path.

Edit: The 2018 Camp Fire was 85 deaths, as I recall, and the previous record holder for the deadliest wildfire in the past century. Yay for setting another horrible record, I guess.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they’ve searched 3% of the structures

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Stereotype posted:

they’ve searched 3% of the structures

loving hell

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Salton Sea with Rise Again

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Up to 93 now.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1690721620476698625

quote:

At least 1,000 people have been reported missing, Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) told The Washington Post. She added that at least one person was later found alive at a shelter.

quote:

Maui Police Chief John Pelletier called on people with missing loved ones to submit DNA samples to help identify remains, warning that it will take time because some are so badly damaged that they disintegrate when picked up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

Nah. When a fire gets big enough it goes wherever the gently caress it wants. Like, you can dig fire breaks and try to protect critical infrastructure, but past a certain point, the primary focus is on getting people out of its path.

Edit: The 2018 Camp Fire was 85 deaths, as I recall, and the previous record holder for the deadliest wildfire in the past century. Yay for setting another horrible record, I guess.

doing past century statistics is dumb. include the peshtigo fire or go home. its like unplugging the arcade cabinet to erase a score you cant beat.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
has biden said anything about lahaina?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Koirhor posted:

Not much what's Lahaina with you

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it’s gonna be many multiple hundreds, maybe even a thousand. there was a huge homeless camp there too so we also probably will never know how many people died

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Koirhor posted:

https://twitter.com/dsupervilleap/status/1690722583291772929?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He continued Yeah we're watching it on the tv.

Maybe send Pete out to get in the way that'll help

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

looking very hard

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Concerning

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
A POTUS visit is a big impact to the S&R efforts as they shut down a lot of activities. Stay in DC.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
biden has looked into it and decided to lease additional deep ocean oil drilling sites

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Arkstorm?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

time to crack out the hard hat and look concerned makeup

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

He continued Yeah we're watching it on the tv.

Maybe send Pete out to get in the way that'll help

Pete Voice: "Over a hundred thousand acres burn every year, so this isn't really so bad when you look at the big picture."

E: The internet says that I am underselling that number by a very large amount.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/wildfires/ytd/7

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Aug 13, 2023

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

It's been basically 100 degrees all summer long here, so I got curious on the record for consecutive 100 degree days. It's funny Arizona has declared an emergency for over 30 days, meanwhile Austin is on day 36. Dallas somehow only has 26, I think we had one day where it was 98.The record here is 42 days straight. We're finally dipping into the high 90's the next few days before going right back into the 100s. It's so hot by the end of the day the house is sitting at 79 degrees with the A/C running literally all day and night. Heat Index usually hovers at 110 - 120.

It's starting to get to me I think. Usually play disc golf during the weekend with my buddy, we'll play a round then go home to cool off and reconvene at night for another round. This time I was so exhausted, and felt so lovely, that I've just been laying at home since yesterday's first round. Really wanted to go kayaking today but I just don't think I can take it anymore. It's fine once you're on the water but last time setting up my inflatable I think I almost died. If I wasn't somewhat in shape I might have.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
i'm taking advantage of the horrific wildfires to teach myself some python/grafana/influxdb + soldering and stuff

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Howdges posted:

It's been basically 100 degrees all summer long here, so I got curious on the record for consecutive 100 degree days. It's funny Arizona has declared an emergency for over 30 days, meanwhile Austin is on day 36. Dallas somehow only has 26, I think we had one day where it was 98.The record here is 42 days straight. We're finally dipping into the high 90's the next few days before going right back into the 100s. It's so hot by the end of the day the house is sitting at 79 degrees with the A/C running literally all day and night. Heat Index usually hovers at 110 - 120.

It's starting to get to me I think. Usually play disc golf during the weekend with my buddy, we'll play a round then go home to cool off and reconvene at night for another round. This time I was so exhausted, and felt so lovely, that I've just been laying at home since yesterday's first round. Really wanted to go kayaking today but I just don't think I can take it anymore. It's fine once you're on the water but last time setting up my inflatable I think I almost died. If I wasn't somewhat in shape I might have.

If you don't already have one, get an electric pump for your kayak. We replaced our hard shell kayak with an inflatable a few years ago and while I love the poo poo out of it, I think we only took it out five or six times with the hand pump before deciding that turning into sweat golems before we even got out onto the water was not a fun way to start a day. Anything drop stitched/high pressure is just absolutely miserable to pump up by hand.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

If you don't already have one, get an electric pump for your kayak. We replaced our hard shell kayak with an inflatable a few years ago and while I love the poo poo out of it, I think we only took it out five or six times with the hand pump before deciding that turning into sweat golems before we even got out onto the water was not a fun way to start a day. Anything drop stitched/high pressure is just absolutely miserable to pump up by hand.

Electric pump requires electricity! I came across this cool concept in a video, it's a bag you inflate through a big opening by just waving it around like a kite, then you push the air out through a small hole to inflate something else like a kayak or :

e: it might not get you to the pressure needed but it will inflate most of it and then you can go to a decent handpump I guess

Leandros has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Aug 13, 2023

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

guess what has an endless supply of air? that’s right; your rear end.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Paradoxish posted:

why did you go from hardshell to inflatable? i was looking at grabbing a basic hardshell on clearance st costco but i would have needed a roof rack...inflatables seem like they'd perform worse and inevitably deflate. which one are you happy with currently?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Howdges posted:

a decent number of those "over 100" days in AZ were also "over 110 or 115" days

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

actually all of them were, the record was for days over 110.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Phoenix has had 42 days so far of 110+ °F this year. The record is 53 in 2020.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Phoenix also has not officially received rainfall since March 22, a 143 day streak which is the second longest on record for the city.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I'm so glad I moved away from there lol. gently caress everything about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spergin Morlock posted:

I'm so glad I moved away from there lol. gently caress everything about that

Thank you for your service