Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Louisgod posted:

My list of likes:
  • Your reading updates

:allears:

They're super fun for me too, helps me reflect on sections of the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Louisgod posted:

My list of likes:
  • Your reading updates

:same:

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Louisgod posted:

My list of likes:
  • Your reading updates

:emptyquote:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Dalinar rules and as soon as I go from a Dalinar chapter to a Kaladin chapter, I feel all enthusiasm sucked out of me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

I usually read them partway through the book, once the book itself introduces the magic systems.

One example of the Ars Arcanum being straight up wrong is in the first Mistborn trilogy, which gets corrected in Alloy of Law:

Atium is mistakenly listed in the metals charts in the first three books as though it's one of the base 16 metals. It's not; that spot should actually be Cadmium. Of course, atium was widely considered a normal metal at the time and in any case, Lord Ruler era technology probably didn't even know Cadmium existed, so can't really blame the writer for screwing up the chart.

haha iirc brandon also had to retcon some of that type stuff later on when he figured out more about how the magic system needed to work in the future e.g., that if atium was a pure godmetal anyone should be able to use it, so he decides it's an alloy with electrum all along, etc etc. can't blame Khriss

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 10, 2023

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
In-universe scholar is a nifty way to deliver technical knowledge and excuse later changes all in one!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Knight Radiant Order: ???

everyone in this thread is required to do the knight radiant order quiz on sando's website

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mewse posted:

everyone in this thread is required to do the knight radiant order quiz on sando's website

At what point is it not a spoiler thing?

mewse
May 2, 2006

It was published June 9, 2020.. definitely after Oathbringer but probably safe after words of radiance

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think it’s safe after Oathbringer.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Dalinar rules and as soon as I go from a Dalinar chapter to a Kaladin chapter, I feel all enthusiasm sucked out of me.

Now you know how Kaladin feels

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah depression is really a kick in the nuts

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Dalinar rules regardless.

General Stormlight Archive spoiler: Is it a good idea to outright tell the new readers that Kaladin has clinical depression?

I can never decide which series I like more, Mistborn (all of it) or Stormlight Archive, but one thing SA has over Mistborn is the art. Good god the art, both the stunning quality, and the quantity. Of course that's partly a function of Brandon having way more money/resources when he released the first SA book, so the series was blessed with plentiful good art from the beginning. But it's still amazing, and some of the fan art is super cool as well. Mistborn isn't helped by being basically mostly grey-in-grey for the first series.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Torrannor posted:

General Stormlight Archive spoiler: Is it a good idea to outright tell the new readers that Kaladin has clinical depression?

I think it’s the equivalent of saying “give (TV series) a few episodes before you judge it”. Sure, some people power through those episodes and fall in love with the show anyway. Others might be turned off by the exploratory stuff, while everyone is finding their footing, even though they’d enjoy the rest of the show.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mewse posted:

I just redid it. First time result was Edgedancer, this time it was Lightwaver with Edgeancer right after, and then Truthwatcher.

And both times Elsecaller was dead last.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

NikkolasKing posted:

I just redid it. First time result was Edgedancer, this time it was Lightwaver with Edgeancer right after, and then Truthwatcher.

And both times Elsecaller was dead last.

That's interesting. It was first for me.

I took the quiz but didn't read the description, just looked at the list and saved it (and posting it here so I can refer back to it when I finally catch up on SA).

I have no idea what any of that means. I know there's a novella called Edgedancer. That's about it. Those names don't mean anything to me and I didn't read the description of my results, so I look forward to coming back to this someday.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, you shouldn't do this before finishing Words of Radiance at the earliest.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I saw this really dumb picture and it gave me a really dumb thought and I couldn't suffer alone

Way of Kings (I have no idea if this is a spoiler of any kind its just dumb as hell OK thank you and goodbye)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mistborn
Hah, I forgot how they immediately catch on that Vin is falling for Elend

quote:

Kelsier shrugged. “I wouldn’t say that either. If young Elend has False Dawn, he might also have other books that are explicitly forbidden. If obligators had proof of that, they’d hand young Elend over to the Inquisitors—nobleman or not. The question is, how do we make certain that happens? If the Venture heir were to be executed, it would certainly add to Luthadel’s political turmoil.”

Vin paled visibly.

Yes, Kelsier thought with an internal sigh. She’s definitely falling for him. I should have foreseen this. Sending a young, pretty girl into noble society? One vulture or another was bound to latch on to her.

“I didn’t tell you this so we could get him killed, Kelsier!” she said. “I thought, maybe…well, he’s reading forbidden books, and he seems like a good man. Maybe we can use him as an ally or something.”

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 12, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Stormlight WoK chapters 52-59 (first ~half of Part 4)

Back to the "last words" kind of epigraphs. Guess Brandon ran out of ideas. the one about the "burdens of nine" sounds like Talenel, then Maps ends up having some last words, maybe about the creatino of the Shattered Plains? And later on namedropping ReShephir? Whoever that is? Some alternate name for the Almighty, or an opposing force?

I am so glad that Kaladin has figured out he can use Stormlight. Teft dancing around it was the worst part of Brandon's writing. I like him taking it onboard and thinking about how to use it to help his crew, though the Parshendi carapace armor seems like a wild card. Any Parshendi seeing that are going to go insane given their respect for their dead. Maybe that's his plan though? Draw all attention to him and then use Stormlight to live? It does make me wonder how Szeth learned how to use his magic, he has terms for everything and is so precise. Did he get training or did he just develop his skill over time?

Also, Syl seems to be arguing against the spren being the cause of things happening. She kept asking Kaladin if the bindspren were there to do the binding, or because Kaladin used Stormlight to bind something. And also she's not a windspren, and doesn't know what she is? But she binds things, and knows what bindspren are, but didn't identify herself as a bindspren. Her turning into a ribbon does remind me of musicspren, which sorta fits with the flute that Hoid (who obviously was Wit) gave Kaladin. I'm also really curious to see how much more she grows with time spend with Kaladin, she's still figuring stuff out, maybe even faster now that he's using Stormlight.

Another connection I'm looking for is Syl mentioning that she's taking something from Kaladin (resulting in her sentience), while also giving something to him (his ability to use Stormlight?), and seeing if that somehow has any relation to the Recreance. If something happened to the Radiant's power, does that mean they had spren like Syl and something happened to them, causing the Radiants to lose their power? Does Szeth, or Shallan, or Jasnah, or Dalinar have a spren like Syl? I'd have expected Szeth to most of all, but he hasn't mentioned one in his POVs.

When Kaladin saw that chasmfiend head off away from him I thought he was going to realize that it was going straight towards his crew. I'm thinking that Kaladin is going to have to either fight or control a chasmfiend at some point soon, they've talked about them enough and now seen one. Hell, maybe he'll have to control one during a fight between the Alethi and the Parshendi and Dalinar will witness it and realize that Kaladin is a Radiant. Either way I think Dalinar will recognize Kaladin as a Radiant due to his visions.

Dalinar has also been a bit stop start here. He got to see the Recreance, and has been looking for proof of Feverstone Keep, but that has trailed off for now. At least Dalinar isn't worrying about Sadeas starting an internal war, maybe he should have just listened to the voice in his head telling him to trust the guy? Dalinar and Sadeas fighting together is interesting plot wise, as it might provide a path for Dalinar to meet Kaladin, if Bridge four is given to Dalinar. I am very much hoping for that.

Also, King Elhokar knows that Szeth is Shin, and he's seeing the lineheads in mirrors. I was thinking those are beings in the cognative (or spiritual) realm, but now I want to jokingly suggest that they are paranoiaspren. Shallan was paranoid about Jasnah figuring out her plan, Elhokar is paranoid about his assassination. But really, I need to know more about those guys, wild that Elhokar is seeing them without drawing them like Shallan though.

A little poem I had to write because of my frustration with certain plotlines:

Dalinar and Navani
sitting in a tree
W-R-I-T-I-N-G
First comes visions
then comes scribing
then comes threats
and feelings hiding

I find it really interesting that Sadeas is coming around to Dalinar's way of thinking though. It'll cause problems with his bridges for sure, but there's a podcast called "Following Nohadon" so I'm thinking at least Dalinar is going to continue with this book for a while, if not getting Sadeas and Adolin on board too. I'm very curious to see how Elhokar's paranoia affects the war, since he seems to be open to Dalinar's retreat and regrouping. I wonder if Hoid had anything to do with that.

And real nice that Adolin has the same girlfriend for two POVs in a row, things are looking up for that couple. It's a shame though that Adolin is so caught up in Alethi culture that he can't understand that Sadeas may want to work with Dalinar. That kid needs more growth.

Progress so far:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Honestly pik_d, you must return to your notes every time you finish a book. Read how you called some plot beats nearly perfectly, while in other cases, what Brandon has cooked up is even more spectacular.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Torrannor posted:

Honestly pik_d, you must return to your notes every time you finish a book. Read how you called some plot beats nearly perfectly, while in other cases, what Brandon has cooked up is even more spectacular.

When I go and look back at older posts, the biggest thing I'm noticing is that I'm writing more and more each time. Elantris was like 1 or 2 sentences per update and now I'm writing so much more. Obviously WoK has way more going on than in Elantris, but it's still a huge difference.

Edit: Also, sure, reply to that immediately but just ignore my Parshendi Mutant Ninja Turtles meme. OK.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

When I go and look back at older posts, the biggest thing I'm noticing is that I'm writing more and more each time. Elantris was like 1 or 2 sentences per update and now I'm writing so much more. Obviously WoK has way more going on than in Elantris, but it's still a huge difference.

Edit: Also, sure, reply to that immediately but just ignore my Parshendi Mutant Ninja Turtles meme. OK.

I was tempted to reply to that, but mostly to ask for the significance, since I basically have zero knowledge about Ninja Turtles besides the fact that I picked up through cultural osmosis, like the fact that they are named after Renaissance artists. :negative:

You also have much more context to the stuff going on, in contrast to Elantris. Plus, there's obviously more going on. But don't think anybody in this thread thinks it's a bad thing that you're writing more!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Torrannor posted:

I was tempted to reply to that, but mostly to ask for the significance, since I basically have zero knowledge about Ninja Turtles besides the fact that I picked up through cultural osmosis, like the fact that they are named after Renaissance artists. :negative:

You also have much more context to the stuff going on, in contrast to Elantris. Plus, there's obviously more going on. But don't think anybody in this thread thinks it's a bad thing that you're writing more!

They're just regular turtles that got mutated by whatever and became the heroes that they are. My silly theory is that Parshmen + Gemheart magic = Parshendi

So the docile Parshmen are regular turtles, and the Parshendi are the sentient version they become. The pizza is just there because the TMNTs love pizza, not because it made them what they are, but you can only work with what you have.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Ahh, the Ninja Turtle Hypothesis, let us see how it plays out

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

They're just regular turtles that got mutated by whatever and became the heroes that they are. My silly theory is that Parshmen + Gemheart magic = Parshendi

So the docile Parshmen are regular turtles, and the Parshendi are the sentient version they become. The pizza is just there because the TMNTs love pizza, not because it made them what they are, but you can only work with what you have.

It's a cool meme. The end of Way of Kings should give you some clues how accurate it is :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
KoWT speculation:

All this epigraph talk had me go back and re-read the death rattles, and two in particular that are still unexplained stood out to me.

"I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw."

"So the night will reign, for the choice of honor is life... "

The first one is obviously one of the most evocative of all the rattles we've heard, and the epigraph itself calls it out of being of particular note. If you combine them, though, an interesting possibility presents itself. What if Taravangium chooses an infant as his champion? Intentionally throwing the contest and straight up daring Dalinar to kill the baby in order to save everyone else? Remember, they've had several discussions on that very topic, if a king should be willing to sacrifice innocents to protect his people, with Taravangian always coming down hard on "yes, ends justify the means" and Dalinar on "no, find another way". Offering Dalinar everything he wants at the cost of his principles is a very Taravangian move, crossed with Odium's cruelty.

And what happens when -- not if, when -- Dalinar refuses to kill the kid? As I've pointed out before, I don't think it's a coincidence at all that Hoid tells a story specifically how he was undone once before because he failed to plan for a tie, and then goes ahead and brokers a deal between Dalinar and Odium where only what happens if each side wins is addressed.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

KoWT speculation:

All this epigraph talk had me go back and re-read the death rattles, and two in particular that are still unexplained stood out to me.

"I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw."

The first one is obviously one of the most evocative of all the rattles we've heard, and the epigraph itself calls it out of being of particular note. If you combine them, though, an interesting possibility presents itself. What if Taravangium chooses an infant as his champion? Intentionally throwing the contest and straight up daring Dalinar to kill the baby in order to save everyone else? Remember, they've had several discussions on that very topic, if a king should be willing to sacrifice innocents to protect his people, with Taravangian always coming down hard on "yes, ends justify the means" and Dalinar on "no, find another way". Offering Dalinar everything he wants at the cost of his principles is a very Taravangian move, crossed with Odium's cruelty.

And what happens when -- not if, when -- Dalinar refuses to kill the kid? As I've pointed out before, I don't think it's a coincidence at all that Hoid tells a story specifically how he was undone once before because he failed to plan for a tie, and then goes ahead and brokers a deal between Dalinar and Odium where only what happens if each side wins is addressed.

Oh god drat. I think you're very much on to something.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
We conveniently have had a few candidates for that position in the story too, you don't even need to expand the cast any more.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

KoWT speculation:

Yeah, that's a pretty popular theory. Many even speculate that the child might be Gavinor. I'm not 100% convinced. Isn't Gavinor a bit old to be described as a "suckling child"? Kaladin's brother might better fit that description, but I'm still not buying it. For all we know, Intent is extremely important in these matters. And I can hardly believe Gavinor intentionally being Taravodium's champion, much less Oroden. But maybe I'm wrong. The theory does fit those two deathrattles quite well. If this is not a foretelling for part 2, it surely must be something along the lines you mentioned.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The thing about (Book 5 speculation) Gavinor is that he's been exposed to three of the unmade and has a good reason to crave a childs version of revenge, I think that would make him susceptible to Odium, and being a child he wouldn't know what it entails when he agrees.

"OK kid, your family died because Dalinar didn't do enough, all you have to do is stand here and tell him how you feel"

And there is no way for Dalinar to beat this kid

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think that was literally one of the first-ever theories right when RoW came out

personally i don't think anything we know [all stormlight spoilers] has implied that odium can choose an unwilling champion -- in fact, it's literally the opposite. basically everything about the entire plotline of Dalinar is that Odium has gone to decades long plots in an attempt to establish the kind of Connection necessary to make him his champion

Gavinor is also a three year old who wants someone to teach him to fight so he can get revenge on Moash lol (which I think also takes him outside of 'suckling babe' range, even metaphorically). he's probably got some serious problems and trauma that're gonna rear their heads in the back half, but he doesn't seem like he will be willingly flipping sides in... how long until the contest? days?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Regarding who it might be, I assumed "random baby" because both Gavinor and Oroden are too big to be described as suckling children, and ten days is hardly long enough for Shallan to produce an actual infant who's related to Dalinar somehow. It being a random baby that Dalinar doesn't actually know or care about is more in line with the points Taravangian was always trying to make, too.

Although, yes, needing to be a willing champion does seem to be a bit of a roadblock.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i am of the opinion that that specific contest is going to be some other twist we don't see coming, as odium has a lot of poo poo going on off-camera, if we're learned anything from all the stuff about the society on Braize.

he's also probably got at least someone that could make a play for the outstanding honorblades the Shin have, if he doesn't have some among his agents already, which could be pretty terrifying force multipliers

i wonder if there's some other crazy hail mary that the baby thing could apply to -- taravangian handing the Shard itself to a baby or something equally wild

edit: you know, Gavilar was a pretty bad guy, is the prologue POV for book 5, would be a uniquely terrible choice for dalinar, and shards can reincarnate people who should be dead.

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 13, 2023

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I've been reading through the Mistborn second era and it's a lot of fun. Pretty breezy books compared to Stormlight! What if Sherlock Holmes had GunZ: The Duel K-Style.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Regarding Book 5 theories being discussed
I like Sanderson for the strongly ethical tone of his work. That is always the most important part of a work of fiction to me, and I think e agrees. As such, while you could have a baby champion based on in-universe logic, what is the actual point of it from that ethical outlook? It would basically be conceding Taravangian was always right and Dalinar's morality is wrong. Do you really think Sanderson believes that and would deliver the consequentialist blow in such a gruesome fashion?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Regarding Book 5 theories being discussed
I like Sanderson for the strongly ethical tone of his work. That is always the most important part of a work of fiction to me, and I think e agrees. As such, while you could have a baby champion based on in-universe logic, what is the actual point of it from that ethical outlook? It would basically be conceding Taravangian was always right and Dalinar's morality is wrong. Do you really think Sanderson believes that and would deliver the consequentialist blow in such a gruesome fashion?
You seem to be assuming that Dalinar would kill the baby. But the second rattle and literally everything about Dalinar suggests that he would refuse to do so.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

You seem to be assuming that Dalinar would kill the baby. But the second rattle and literally everything about Dalinar suggests that he would refuse to do so.

I'm saying he won't kill the baby, which means Odium wins and proves Taravangian right. If your principles leads to the God of Hatred's victory and the deaths of god knows how many, your principles are clearly wrong.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I hope that Sanderson is consulting with professional ethicists, because what you’re all describing is (technically spoilers through RoW) the trolley problem at a grand scale. This has been discussed extensively across history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Dalinar could probably do it, Kaladin however...