Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will at least say the BB are way better in their own show than they were in Clone Wars (and the show itself is pretty decent in my opinion though it can be a bit hit or miss at times)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That was exactly their reasoning, yes. Just, "This is trash, but we enjoyed it anyway. Because it's actually okay to enjoy trash, you miserable loving assholes."
This is why I’ve watched the Mando season 3 finale many times, including at least twice the day it came out. It feels like the pinnacle of Expanded Universe goofiness/mashing your action figures together.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hazo posted:

Oh I totally agree. And it sure as hell seemed like they were teasing some kind of future movie tie-in with that cameo in Solo. But so much has gone in and out of development since then I don't know where they're at. Maybe one of the upcoming three movies will explore it. I would love to know what kind of plan they originally had though (if any).

I'm just sad that Emilia Clarke has now been shafted three times across as many blockbuster franchises between Game of Thrones, Star Wars and now Marvel with Secret Invasion.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

The weird irony was that the RLM guys actually liked Obi-Wan and it pissed their more chuddy fans off to hear them say that.
Did they really? That's hilarious. The last Star War related content I watched from them was their TROS review. I can't remember if they liked it or not though.

[edit] Their schtick seems to be that they enjoy more schlocky poo poo, so I'm not surprised they enjoyed Obi-Wan for maybe how jank it was lol.

Wait, is this the same RLM that got popular by dissecting the Star Wars prequels and explaining why they're complete garbage through the perspective of a slurring serial killer? I haven't watched anything from them other than that, and it seems weird that now they'd turn into liking schlocky trash.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm just sad that Emilia Clarke has now been shafted three times across as many blockbuster franchises between Game of Thrones, Star Wars and now Marvel with Secret Invasion.

And the brain aneurysms. It's goddamn tragic

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Hazo posted:

Wait, is this the same RLM that got popular by dissecting the Star Wars prequels and explaining why they're complete garbage through the perspective of a slurring serial killer? I haven't watched anything from them other than that, and it seems weird that now they'd turn into liking schlocky trash.

That was them right out of college (or even in college for the Phantom Menace review), the new commentary is them in their 40s. The views have evolved somewhat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hazo posted:

They're aging and turning into old boomers at a geometric rate. They loving loved Star Trek: Picard Season 3 despite it being the exact type of creatively bankrupt nostalgia milking slop they've railed against for years. They're kind of becoming victims of the online environment they helped cultivate a decade ago.

E: also them liking schlocky trash is not anything new. That's what Best of the Worst is all about.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 13, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hazo posted:

Same ones, yeah. But they've always loved shlock; that's been their whole thing if you ever watched their Best of the Worst series.

[edit] efb, I didn't refresh.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the maul/obi-wan fight would make sense if it was the conclusion of their characters about ten years earlier, but obi-wan in that time period is a batshit crazy old man who's forgotten everything he knew and learned how to survive in a desert from the indigenous people. he should not be doing cool laser sword fights with a devil man; he should put his cloak over his head and make a funny noise, making the devil man fall into a spike pit.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just a heads up, there’s a new mini-trailer for Ahsoka now out that spoils something most of us hoped would happen casting/flashback wise. So practice caution for awhile, no telling if this is something in the first two episodes or later on.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
What supports that characterization exactly?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah I'm definitely not aware of any consensus hoping for that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For live-action stuff the franchise is about 50/50 good/bad now. I have not watched the animated stuff so I can't speak to that.

Good-

Original trilogy
Andor
Rogue One
TFA/TLJ (although I have problems with both)
Most of The Mandalorian outside of Season 3

Bad-

Prequels
Solo
TROS
Obi-Wan
BoBF (outside of those Mandalorian focused episodes)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It's mediocre at worst honestly, and most of the animation is in the top half of the top half so you're doing yourself a disservice

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The prequels and Solo are also fine, having revisted them after some time. They're not like great imo, but they're bad either. They're perfectly ok. Still think Solo would've worked just fine without the baggage of the Solo character though; could've just been a heist romp in the Star Wars universe with new characters. Or could've been about Dash Rendar. Or poo poo, it could've been an Aphra vehicle too, now that I think about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

It was just funny to me that given how formidable Maul had been in Clone Wars/Rebels how easily Obi-Wan played him.

Maul: Look what has become of you. A rat in the desert.
Obi Wan: Look what I have risen above.

Absolutely loving love that scene.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's such a banger, and everything leading up to the Twin Sun duel is great too. The revelation that Obi-Wan was still alive eventually superceding everything Maul had been doing for however many years, and it becoming such a cruicial plot component for the character that would lead to his death is some chef's kiss poo poo. That his obession with finding Obi-Wan ultimately ends up becoming like his whole deal at that point in Rebels was very fitting imo. As an aside, Witwer going psycho apeshit in the behind-the-scenes footage when he yells out Kenobi's name is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh16h80R5RY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hazo posted:

Oh I totally agree. And it sure as hell seemed like they were teasing some kind of future movie tie-in with that cameo in Solo. But so much has gone in and out of development since then I don't know where they're at. Maybe one of the upcoming three movies will explore it. I would love to know what kind of plan they originally had though (if any).

Iirc, Solo was a planned trilogy that bombed so hard the latter two films were shelved.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Was not expecting so much love for the Kenobi/Maul duel, meanwhile I'm still trying to figure out who impregnated Hera.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It is very weird to honestly think that Jacen's father is anyone other than Kanan

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

maybealabia posted:

It is very weird to honestly think that Jacen's father is anyone other than Kanan

The kid looked really young, there was 4+ year time skip, and Kannan seemed quite dedicated to the Jedi code. My assumption was it was him, but Hera's comments throughout the series made it seem as though her romantic interest in him was unrequited. Like, why would she be moping about him not understanding how she felt about him if she was at that very moment carrying his child?

If it's just a children's show censorship thing of "We can't acknowledge paternity because it implies sex" then whatever, but the narration was weirdly ambiguous given how obviously it should have been Kannan's.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 14, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It was Kanan. Dude was just a kid when the Jedi got Order 66'd, he was absolutely not following any sort of "no attachments" rule or celibacy code. That he and Hera were in an intimate relationship was spelled out very clearly, the kid being his is something made clear enough that even the 10 year olds watching can figure it out.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 14, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
1. They all but made out on camera and obviously were talking about their feelings toward the end

2. I just really don't think they'd make her have banged someone other than the person she was in a relationship with for the whole series. What would even be the point?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

maybealabia posted:

1. They all but made out on camera and obviously were talking about their feelings toward the end

2. I just really don't think they'd make her have banged someone other than the person she was in a relationship with for the whole series. What would even be the point?

Yeah, I assumed this was the case, it's only the child's age (or lack thereof) and the whole Jedi thing that made me less than 100% sure. Just wondering if I'd missed anything, i binged the show in a rather short time and multitasked during parts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, I assumed this was the case, it's only the child's age (or lack thereof) and the whole Jedi thing that made me less than 100% sure. Just wondering if I'd missed anything, i binged the show in a rather short time and multitasked during parts.

I mean, the kid has Kadan's skin and eye colour. You'd have to be actively not looking at the screen for the entire time he's seen to somehow think he's anyone but Kanan Jarrus's son.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In Ahsoka he'll be introduced by his full name - Jacen Syndulla Ohnaka.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
whoa, mondo hondo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jacen Calrissian

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

maybealabia posted:

it fits the pattern of what we know of reproduction in star wars
Anakin and Padme are shown making out, they end up having Luke and Leia
Han and Leia are seen making out, they have Ben

it's like poetry, it rhymes

sad question
May 30, 2020

That's slightly concerning since Luke and Leia also made out

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Haven't seen BB yet, so no comment there (I could take or leave them in the Clone Wars).
I didn't really like their Clone Wars arc much either. S7 is honestly one of the weaker series of that show, being carried entirely by the excellent final arc.

But the Bad Batch show is pretty good. At its worst (which is more often than I'd like) it's a decent kids show, at its best it's really solid Star Wars. The animation is uniformly fantastic though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Was not expecting so much love for the Kenobi/Maul duel, meanwhile I'm still trying to figure out who impregnated Hera.

Are you doing some kind of a bit?

Edit: ah, I see. Just the good old "this show I wasn't paying attention to is needlessly confusing".

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 14, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Whatever plan they may have had (probably not much of one), Maul wasn't originally part of it. Ron Howard (remember, not the original director) wanted to have someone surprising show up there, so he asked for a list of who was alive in canon at that point that he could use, and saw Maul on the list and thought, "Ha, cool, yeah let's use him." Total last minute addition.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thrawn527 posted:

Whatever plan they may have had (probably not much of one), Maul wasn't originally part of it. Ron Howard (remember, not the original director) wanted to have someone surprising show up there, so he asked for a list of who was alive in canon at that point that he could use, and saw Maul on the list and thought, "Ha, cool, yeah let's use him." Total last minute addition.

It was also an unfortunate choice, because Maul's final duel with Obi Wan had aired in Rebels just prior to Solo's release.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

That's interesting, I gotta admit the second I saw Maul my immediate thought was,"Oh, they want to do a Vader/Maul lightsaber duel in the sequel or something :nallears:" so learning it was just a completely random choice is a bit of a surprise. But also not really. I was not a big fan of that film, maybe I should rewatch it without the weight of expectations and also with the knowledge that Rise of Skywalker set a new low by which all other Star Wars looks better.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 14, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rebels isn't just it's own show, it's a direct sequel to the prequels/Clone Wars and is constantly informed by them. You can't judge it outside of that context, or else you'll have a bunch of "what was the point of this character that went nowhere" with arcs that are fulfilled in the OT or a lack of characterization for people that came from the prequels and Clone Wars.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

That's interesting, I gotta admit the second I saw Maul my immediate thought was,"Oh, they want to do a Vader/Maul lightsaber duel in the sequel or something :nallears:" so learning it was just a completely random choice is a bit of a surprise. But also not really. I was not a big man of that film, maybe I should rewatch it without the weight of expectations and also with the knowledge that Rise of Skywalker set a new low by which all other Star Wars looks better.

I also heard a story recently about Peter Serafinowicz (told second hand by his The Tick costar Griffin Newman, so grain of salt), who was the voice of Darth Maul in TPM, that he recorded the voice over for Maul's scene in Solo originally. And that he then waited to hear about being invited to the premiere, which came and went without any word. So when he reached out, he was told, "Oh, sorry, we re-recorded it with the Maul from the animated show."

No idea if this is true, though. I love Serafinowicz, but he's made up stories before, and like I said, it's a second hand story. I've been burned by Griffin Newman stories before.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Darko posted:

Rebels isn't just it's own show, it's a direct sequel to the prequels/Clone Wars and is constantly informed by them. You can't judge it outside of that context, or else you'll have a bunch of "what was the point of this character that went nowhere" with arcs that are fulfilled in the OT or a lack of characterization for people that came from the prequels and Clone Wars.

While I'm sure there were a lot of callbacks I missed, I watched Rebels before I ever watched Clone Wars and I never felt like I was lost or that things didn't make sense. The show did a very good job of making the Galaxy feel like a very lived in, breathing place where a shitload of things were going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Rebels has a ton of callbacks to Clone Wars, but yeah outside of like needing to get a rough idea of who Ahsoka is it largely works on it's own.