Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Alos make sure your time split is legit. Don't even answer an email about your freelancing when you're supposed to be at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Found an amazon gift card from christmas with $50 on it. What are some recommended software dev books?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any particular area of interest? Code Complete is a good choice for anyone imo

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Just general improvement stuff, can't think of anything more specific.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Fits in just under $50, and covers the new hotness of HTMX (and thinking about APIs in general) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9S88QV6/ref=sr_1_1

Free online version if you want a taste: https://hypermedia.systems/

--

For general improvement stuff in the "get a promotion" sector:

For eng management: https://press.stripe.com/an-elegant-puzzle

For staff software engineer: https://staffeng.com/book

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nybble posted:

For staff software engineer: https://staffeng.com/book

definitely second this recommendation

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Went ahead and bought Code Complete since I've seen it recommended several times.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got pinged for a SEV1 Site Down issue.

The actual issue: The user mistyped the URL and nobody bothered to verify it before they kicked it to dev

:shepicide:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oof!

I just grabbed a ticket that's been going in circles for a week and finally asked the user what they were doing, what they were clicking, and what they were seeing. I fully expect to have an opportunity to roast tiers 1 and 2 for not asking this first before deciding that surely something must be bugged.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Hah yeah I know what you mean about that. We also just released a V2 of one of our applications to users, had a few bugs as expected, but some of the core functionality is identical - the UI/UX and workflow around it has mostly been refined.

Still, people report features that never existed as "bugs" :thunk:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Today I got our V2 hardware fully built up by production, in the enclosure, attached to all the peripherals, and found that, despite earlier indications, the problem from V1 was still there.
Turns out production built it up with the V1 hardware.
Really glad I checked before raising any alarms.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

brand engager posted:

Went ahead and bought Code Complete since I've seen it recommended several times.

It's a good book. It was actually used as a textbook in one of my software engineering classes. One of the best classes I took.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Since we're talking books, anyone have any suggestions for software related books that work well as audio books? I have a bunch of Libro credits I need to use. Doesn't necessarily need to be code books but just any good semi-related non-fiction

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

prom candy posted:

Since we're talking books, anyone have any suggestions for software related books that work well as audio books? I have a bunch of Libro credits I need to use. Doesn't necessarily need to be code books but just any good semi-related non-fiction

Semi-related question, any suggestions for good development/programming podcasts?

I listen to Under The Radar, though there's a focus on indie iOS development which is pretty narrow and doesn't really apply to me. That said, Marco & David usually have interesting anecdotes/perspectives, and it's capped at 30 minutes (I definitely don't have time for 1+ hour podcasts).

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 18, 2023

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

prom candy posted:

Soul Of A New Machine is an old classic. It’s the story of how an exciting new computer was designed and built inside a very boring company. It’s a real fun story.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

prom candy posted:

I picked up "Working with Legacy Code" by Michael C. Feathers based on recommendations from here (I think), and it's phenomenal for anyone who works with legacy systems at all.

edit: oops, I missed the "work well as audio books part" !

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 19, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Kill It With Fire by Marianne Belotti was a great audiobook and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CPColin posted:

Oof!

I just grabbed a ticket that's been going in circles for a week and finally asked the user what they were doing, what they were clicking, and what they were seeing. I fully expect to have an opportunity to roast tiers 1 and 2 for not asking this first before deciding that surely something must be bugged.

Sometimes we get fraudulent support requests and despite being a manager I got to reply to a support request saying the screenshot was a photoshop and I can tell by the pixels.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Sometimes we get fraudulent support requests and despite being a manager I got to reply to a support request saying the screenshot was a photoshop and I can tell by the pixels.

lol
just...why do that????

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Macichne Leainig posted:

Hah yeah I know what you mean about that. We also just released a V2 of one of our applications to users, had a few bugs as expected, but some of the core functionality is identical - the UI/UX and workflow around it has mostly been refined.

Still, people report features that never existed as "bugs" :thunk:

Peripherally related: I'm going to change my MS teams status to "if it's not in the requirements, you have a feature request not a bug" because goddamn I am tired of repeating variations on that to the teams that use our product. I'm sorry it doesn't work the way you wanted it to, talk to the pm about it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The IT department introduced me to Jaspersoft report generators. Apparently this is supposed to be easier than just mapping a bunch of Javascript arrays to HTML. I loving hate this poo poo already.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ChickenWing posted:

Peripherally related: I'm going to change my MS teams status to "if it's not in the requirements, you have a feature request not a bug" because goddamn I am tired of repeating variations on that to the teams that use our product. I'm sorry it doesn't work the way you wanted it to, talk to the pm about it
"We're blocked on this behavior!"

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

The IT department introduced me to Jaspersoft report generators. Apparently this is supposed to be easier than just mapping a bunch of Javascript arrays to HTML. I loving hate this poo poo already.

Look, some executives got taken out to some very nice dinners and we're paying a lot of money for this, so just use it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

ChickenWing posted:

I have this conversation with some of my team members. Look, it doesn't work the way you want it to, but that is differently from not working as designed. I triage a lot of bugs > stories.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

Look, some executives got taken out to some very nice dinners and we're paying a lot of money for this, so just use it.
IT head is a goober stuck in the nineties or something.

Whoever requests something from IT needs to cross their fingers, that whoever IT head brings along agrees with you. When it came to sketching out how to implement my poo poo, some third party consultant was in the meeting, I started faffing around with him about web apps and services, Electron and Node.js, and while IT head sat there :confused:, and that's how I got out of writing a goddamn Java SWT application.

Of course now I'm sitting here with a thumb up my rear end waiting for some infrastructure, while these idiots still can't decide on Docker, Kubernetes or some other yet unmentioned solution. For over a goddamn year now.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Combat Pretzel posted:

these idiots still can't decide on Docker, Kubernetes or some other yet unmentioned solution. For over a goddamn year now.
~c l o u d a g n o s t I c~

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rawrbomb posted:

I have this conversation with some of my team members. Look, it doesn't work the way you want it to, but that is differently from not working as designed. I triage a lot of bugs > stories.

Yeah. Like don't get me wrong, I usually don't think the suggestion is terrible in most cases. But a bug it is not :colbert:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Sagacity posted:

~c l o u d a g n o s t I c~
I have no idea what that means. My experience extends to Portainer and the Kubernetes stuff in TrueNAS, both at home. It's just that they're not committing to installing infrastructure to host anything, until they've decided onto something.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Re: Interview questions, I've been shadowing phone screens and am curious about something.

Our phone screens are 50% resume poking and 50% coding, and I've been in two where the candidate just utterly failed to satisfy the requirements for the coding section. Both questions were very straightforward algorithm questions that were reasonably straightforward and weren't any sort of insane 'invert a binary tree in o(n) time' bullshit. Simple stuff like 'Given an array, dedupe stuff and identify gaps in a pattern'.

I get the problem with the super deep dive algo stuff that you don't use on a day to day basis, but something like this seems pretty straight forward. Candidates are told to pick their language of choice and both issues could be solved (in Python) in 8 lines of fairly verbose code, or probably 3-4 if you got deep. In both cases, we tried to follow a pattern of 'write your code, now answer some questions about it', for example for one of them I asked them 'It looks like you used a heap data structure here; what alternatives would you choose for this if heap wasn't available in your stdlib or codebase?'

Both candidates should have been able to knock this out of the park and totally just broke down, even when given some gentle questioning to put them back on the path. This doesn't seem like an unreasonable step into the higher difficulty leetcode bs questions, and doesn't even involve stuff that isn't common, like 2d map traversal or pathfinding algorithms. These interviews were for devops positions and were targeted for mid-career levels, so above junior but below snenior.

Does this seem like just 'yeah these folks didn't know as much as they said' or is this a breakdown in the format?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Did they write code that didn’t work, or did they not even write a line or code?

Did they ask questions?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Trying to code over the phone is even worse than coding on paper. When I’m talking on the phone I’m already nervous enough about just trying not to babble incoherently, and that’s just any phone call, let alone for an interview.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Falcon2001 posted:

Re: Interview questions, I've been shadowing phone screens and am curious about something.

Our phone screens are 50% resume poking and 50% coding, and I've been in two where the candidate just utterly failed to satisfy the requirements for the coding section. Both questions were very straightforward algorithm questions that were reasonably straightforward and weren't any sort of insane 'invert a binary tree in o(n) time' bullshit. Simple stuff like 'Given an array, dedupe stuff and identify gaps in a pattern'.

I get the problem with the super deep dive algo stuff that you don't use on a day to day basis, but something like this seems pretty straight forward. Candidates are told to pick their language of choice and both issues could be solved (in Python) in 8 lines of fairly verbose code, or probably 3-4 if you got deep. In both cases, we tried to follow a pattern of 'write your code, now answer some questions about it', for example for one of them I asked them 'It looks like you used a heap data structure here; what alternatives would you choose for this if heap wasn't available in your stdlib or codebase?'

Both candidates should have been able to knock this out of the park and totally just broke down, even when given some gentle questioning to put them back on the path. This doesn't seem like an unreasonable step into the higher difficulty leetcode bs questions, and doesn't even involve stuff that isn't common, like 2d map traversal or pathfinding algorithms. These interviews were for devops positions and were targeted for mid-career levels, so above junior but below snenior.

Does this seem like just 'yeah these folks didn't know as much as they said' or is this a breakdown in the format?

I've just started loving around with leetcode a bit for fun and if you've never done this stuff before it feels really foreign. If I was interviewing I'd be practicing it though and it doesn't sound like you're asking anything too hard.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

chglcu posted:

Trying to code over the phone is even worse than coding on paper. When I’m talking on the phone I’m already nervous enough about just trying not to babble incoherently, and that’s just any phone call, let alone for an interview.

This is performed in a shared notepad style space, not actually over the phone, and I'm not docking points for minor mixups (append vs add, for example).

lifg posted:

Did they write code that didn’t work, or did they not even write a line or code?

Did they ask questions?

They wrote code that didn't work; one of them very steadfastly refused to ask questions and the other one did, but never got at the fundamental problem with his approach. For the second one, I asked them a few leading questions 'What feature in the language of your choice would help you break apart this data into the format you need?' or 'How would your code accomplish X goal?' when they got stuck.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some people aren’t good at coding interviews, some people are more ops than dev and are stretching, some people really rely on IDE autocomplete, some people don’t realize how little new code they write anymore.

It’s not a moral failing, you just don’t hire them. People bomb interviews for all sorts of jobs constantly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

smackfu posted:

some people really rely on IDE autocomplete

I'm in this post and I don't like it

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Re: IDE autocomplete - if someone could describe what they wanted their code to do and the delta between what they wrote and what they meant is basically on the level of a typo ("Ah, you add things to a set with .add but you add things to a list with .append!" etc) I'm going to just give it to them, and same if they were to say something along the lines of 'Shoot, I forget what the syntax is to do X' as long as they can describe it fully enough that I can accept it as a momentary lapse of memory and not a failing to understand the concept.

I was just kind of shocked to see people kind of fall to pieces when asked to do basic stuff around collection manipulation that are pretty standard things to expect someone to do in a real job as part of writing code. One of them seemed to be relying on leetcode answers for the most part but had chosen the wrong implementation for our question, and implemented something different; when the difference was pointed out they acknowledged it and promptly fell apart making that minor change. Again, nothing huge or major, just stuff like 'ah, your response only works for this narrow case, how would you expand it?'

Volmarias posted:

I'm in this post and I don't like it

Yeah this is me too; I'm constantly forgetting small things like that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I wonder if that person was actually reciting a leetcode answer they quickly googled while talking with you, and that’s why they couldn’t adjust.

FWIW, I recently shadowed on an screen share interview where the candidate was asked to fix some code, and they literally didn’t write anything. None of our hints or leading questions got them to start. It was rough. I felt bad. It made me question our process too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A few jobs ago one of my colleagues gave a phone screen where he asked for the complexity of a piece of code, and the candidate told him it was complex because it had a lot of loops.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Falcon2001 posted:

Re: IDE autocomplete - if someone could describe what they wanted their code to do and the delta between what they wrote and what they meant is basically on the level of a typo ("Ah, you add things to a set with .add but you add things to a list with .append!" etc) I'm going to just give it to them, and same if they were to say something along the lines of 'Shoot, I forget what the syntax is to do X' as long as they can describe it fully enough that I can accept it as a momentary lapse of memory and not a failing to understand the concept.

I've paired with people who couldn't function at all without autocomplete and it wasn't really that they couldn't remember the names of functions. It was more of that seeing the list of functions available was a required part of how they even just thought about what to do. It wasn't "I need to add an object to this list so let me find a function which sounds like it does that" but rather "I have a list that I need to do something with, so I'll scan the list of operations until one jumps out at me". Append is too trivial for this to really be the case, but they often wouldn't have been able to describe what they were looking for because they weren't really sure themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I flubbed an interview recently, the task was to implement a game of battleship. I'm not a great developer by any means, but the vast majority of my time is spent fixing bugs and tweaking existing code, so making something cohesive from scratch was a surprisingly difficult context switch.