Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

OP spent 18 months in the womb with his brother i think he knows him pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Foo Diddley posted:

the sexuality understander has logged on:

AITA for trying to hook up my brother with a girl without his knowledge ?

Ah, to be 12 again. Wait how old is this dude?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The pitfalls of basing your understanding of genetics on the song Born This Way

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Foo Diddley posted:

the sexuality understander has logged on:

AITA for trying to hook up my brother with a girl without his knowledge ?

I actually personally knew a pair of identical twins in college where one guy was straight and the other one was gay. Sexuality can be weird like that, it's not entirely genetic.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Am I too late for sink cats

olylifter posted:

AITA for having sex with my boyfriend’s younger brother after he asked for an open relationship?

This is brutal, albeit deserved. But like Clark Nova mentioned, will probably cause problems between the brothers in the long run, she could have easily picked anyone else to make the point.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

DemoneeHo posted:

Dont blame op for being stupid, its not his fault he and his twin brother took 18 months to be born. Makes twins dumber.

AITA for not commiserating with my ex when her new car got keyed because of how she parks.

Lol to the bad parker. But also the line, "She wanted to marry a rich guy. And as it turns out so did I" would have been a good start to another post.

I always wondered who was actually buying Grand Wagoneers; apparently it's people who want to show that they can spend 100 grand on a vehicle for their nanny to drive, but don't want the help to have something actually nice.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

digitalist posted:

Am I too late for sink cats

This is brutal, albeit deserved. But like Clark Nova mentioned, will probably cause problems between the brothers in the long run, she could have easily picked anyone else to make the point.

When she asked him if he was eyeballing someone else when he asked her to open the relationship the jackass pulled out a hookup ap that he already had a date on and showed it to her. She wasn't making a point, she was deliberately hurting him in revenge for him hurting her.

She wasn't exactly thinking about if it hurt the little brother too.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

FoolyCharged posted:

When she asked him if he was eyeballing someone else when he asked her to open the relationship the jackass pulled out a hookup ap that he already had a date on and showed it to her. She wasn't making a point, she was deliberately hurting him in revenge for him hurting her.

She wasn't exactly thinking about if it hurt the little brother too.

Absolutely, having the hookup app already up and ready to go was excessive in its own right, and in response she just took the ball and ran with it. Hurting for the sake of revenge was the goal and she succeeded brilliantly, that will leave a mark.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

Dont blame op for being stupid, its not his fault he and his twin brother took 18 months to be born. Makes twins dumber.

AITA for not commiserating with my ex when her new car got keyed because of how she parks.

Lol to the bad parker. But also the line, "She wanted to marry a rich guy. And as it turns out so did I" would have been a good start to another post.

Lol at OP’s ex apparently having no answer for why she needed a ginormous suburbitank in the first place. Sounds about right :discourse:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Are Range Rovers even particularly huge? I'm sure that outside of Freedomland they're classified as aircraft carriers and cannot be driven without a dedicated team of pilot craft to clear the way, but I've never thought of it being remarkably large compared to the usual assortment of helltrucks populating most suburban parking lots.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the holy poopacy posted:

Are Range Rovers even particularly huge? I'm sure that outside of Freedomland they're classified as aircraft carriers and cannot be driven without a dedicated team of pilot craft to clear the way, but I've never thought of it being remarkably large compared to the usual assortment of helltrucks populating most suburban parking lots.

They aren't. 207", which is comparable to a 2005 Expedition (205"). Much smaller than a modern Expedition Max or Navigator L (222").

I wonder how many SUVs we would have if you had to pass a special SUV parking test.

Godspeed skatekid.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 14, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for trying to make my mother hand over her engagement rings to me and my fiancé?

quote:

Me (27 F) and my fiancé (30 M) are getting married in a few weeks. a lot of funds have been going to the wedding, me and my fiancé have struggled a little bit. we’ve got everything ready, but we couldn’t possibly afford the rings.

my mother (54 F), has a gorgeous engagement ring, silvery with a diamond material. i’ve been absolutely in love with the ring ever since i was a little girl. my father has been dead for over a decade, he got into a car crash, and my mother hasn’t remarried. on wednesday, i’ve tried to talk to my mother about giving me and my fiancé the engagement rings, since my father is dead, and she doesn’t even need the rings anymore. my mother got upset, and said that she wouldn’t give up her ring because it reminded her of my father, and she wanted to keep the rings to remember the times they spent together.

i tried to talk calmly to my mother, because we were on the phone, and i was in a public space, so i explained to her how beneficial it would be for me and my fiancé, since we could save money and not have to spend it on rings, but my mother didn’t want to hear it. she called me selfish, and hung up.

after talking to my fiancé about what happened, he took my side, because he didn’t understand why my mother wanted to keep the rings, they were useless to her, but they could be useful to me and my fiancé.

i talked to my mom’s side of the family to try and get them to convince her, but they also got mad, and they said i was being disrespectful to my mother.

after talking to my mom’s side of the family, i sort of understood where she was coming from, but i still believe that me and my fiancé would really benefit from the rings. AITA?

calmly: mom, i really don't see why you're so attached to some dead guy's stuff that you don't even need anymore

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for trying to make my mother hand over her engagement rings to me and my fiancé?

calmly: mom, i really don't see why you're so attached to some dead guy's stuff that you don't even need anymore

I like how the daughter has to restrain herself because she's in a public space talking on the phone. drat can't scream at my mom now better calmly explain

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

after talking to my mom’s side of the family, i sort of understood where she was coming from, but i still believe that me and my fiancé would really benefit from the rings. AITA?

If this isn’t the perfect illustration of so many OPs mindset. Okay, I guess I can understand that it’s your property/sentimental item/human right - but how exactly does that outweigh me getting it right now because I want it??

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Give me your house engagement ring! My sister and her now husband pulled kind of a lovely thing the way my parents told it, according to them my sister just took the ring from my parents' safe after some sort of hypothetical 'what if' conversation. Not sure whether that was their boomer brained interpretation of my sis and partner 'doing it wrong' or if my sis is really that stone cold, but due to general familial dysfunction I just don't really talk to them anyway.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tarezax posted:

I actually personally knew a pair of identical twins in college where one guy was straight and the other one was gay. Sexuality can be weird like that, it's not entirely genetic.

It's even odds that, if your identical twin is gay or trans, you are gay or trans. Which is much better than chance, but it's definitely not a guarantee.

That effect is still probably mostly due to environmental factors rather than genetic. Developing in the same person at the same time is a big factor.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Conflicts like these are exactly the reason I proposed my unique naming system. Instead of names, we can all go by mathematical hashes of our name plus uniquely identifying information like your date and time of birth location/Hospital mother and father's name, etc. boom no more conflict. Plus each name uniquely identifies an entity.

For some reason, my idea has gotten little to no traction (sigh)

Probably because there is a common case where your proposed hash is weak?

Hint:

also, what do you do if one of the fields is not available (e.g. father), which timezone is datetime of birth in, what are you going to do about people not born in a hospital, what are you going to do about people who later acquire more information than they previously had, what character set are you using for the name, and what about boys named Sue?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do people think genetics are the only forces at play that make people different? I guess they do, because apparently it's a big problem for pet cloning companies when the cloned cat comes out with a totally different coat and personality. There's so many other biological factors in play, from stuff as simple as the mother's hormone levels at that particular moment.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Smh, when will people learn the truth about cursed resurrecting burial grounds

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Baronjutter posted:

Do people think genetics are the only forces at play that make people different? I guess they do, because apparently it's a big problem for pet cloning companies when the cloned cat comes out with a totally different coat and personality. There's so many other biological factors in play, from stuff as simple as the mother's hormone levels at that particular moment.

People have been taught that “the forces at play that make people different” are called “genetics”

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

wasn't there some study that showed the more sons a woman had, the more likely they are, further down the birth line, to be gay?

I mean no one look at the Duggars or anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pirate Radar posted:

People have been taught that “the forces at play that make people different” are called “genetics”

Also "nature vs nurture" makes you think it has to be only one or the othert

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cowslips Warren posted:

wasn't there some study that showed the more sons a woman had, the more likely they are, further down the birth line, to be gay?

I mean no one look at the Duggars or anything.

Yeah, there's a popular theory that it's a type of biological birth/population control, since the same effect is seen in some animal populations. Like anything it's probably a tiny look at a massive picture though.

Funny ring story: I'll probably end up with my (deceased) Dad's wedding ring, my Mom still wears his other wedding ring on a necklace, along with her wedding ring. The reason there's another one is that my Dad lost his at one point, he didn't want to tell my Mom and piss her off, so he went out and bought an identical one and just wore that. A couple years later they were cleaning out the closet and found the original ring in a crusty pair of jeans going in the trash pile, at which point he fessed up.

Now that I'm thinking about dads and rings, I wonder if there's a reason that OP thinks this ring should be up for grabs? Like maybe Dad was a shithead alcoholic, and OP thinks her Mom shouldn't have any sentiment for him because of that? It sure seems like OP doesn't give a poo poo about him or his memory.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

thepopmonster posted:

Probably because there is a common case where your proposed hash is weak?

Hint:

also, what do you do if one of the fields is not available (e.g. father), which timezone is datetime of birth in, what are you going to do about people not born in a hospital, what are you going to do about people who later acquire more information than they previously had, what character set are you using for the name, and what about boys named Sue?

Twins don't shoot out the vag at exact the same second, and only the most acrobatic of doctors can pull them out via c-section at the same time. the hash is valid and shall be used until an alternative is available, amy

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for taking a job even though my step sister wanted it?

quote:

I (26F) have a stepsister, Maggie (28). We work in similar fields. Recently, my stepdad’s (Maggie’s dad) brother let him know of a job opportunity with a company owned by an old acquaintance of theirs. My stepdad mentioned it to both me and Maggie, and we both sent our resumés in for it.

I ended up getting offered the job. Maggie was ballistic, calling me to scream at me, posting a litany of stuff about me on social media, bashing me to the whole family saying how I am out to “take everything from her”. She says I owed it to her to turn down the job so that she could have it after everything I put her through.

Full disclosure, my boyfriend of two years used to date Maggie. They dated for four months, before she brought him over to introduce to our family. My bf was - in his words - instantly smitten with me, even though we barely spoke over the course of the meal, and he broke up with Maggie two days later. He pursued me for a year before I agreed to go out with him, we’ve been together two years and we’re getting engaged this winter.

I get that Maggie is still mad about that, but I don’t think that one thing should mean that for the rest of my life I have to bend over backwards to give her what she wants.

AITA for taking the job?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol that she thinks the declined offer automatically means she gets it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
AITA for asking my partner not to use toiler paper in this way?

quote:

I have been with my boyfriend for a few years. Throughout the course of our relationship, at times I have found little rolled up pieces of toilet paper scattered over the floor. I've simply picked them up and not thought much of it.

To my dismay, however, i recently discovered why this has been happening.

Last night, I found more little rolled up pieces scattered when my boyfriend was home. I picked them up and asked if he knew why we suffered this problem. He looked rather sheepish and I felt something was up.

After some probing, he told me that after going for a sh\*t, because he's quite hairy and at times has troubled cleaning himself properly, he will wedge some toilet paper between his butt cheeks to protect his underwear from stains. And simply walk round like that.

And that causes little bits of toilet paper to fall out of his trousers as he walks around and it all rubs against itself.

I was horrified and told him i've been picking these up with my bare hands for the past few years. I asked him to refrain from doing this, but he downright refused as it's something he's always done. We had a mini argument and he's still refusing to change his behaviour and accusing me of trying to shame him.

AITA?

quote:

NTA. As horrified as I am by his "Feces Pieces" I'm more horrified that he knew it was happening for years and left them there for you.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

jesus loving christ :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kitfox88 posted:

quote:

he's still refusing to change his behaviour and accusing me of trying to shame him

Hell yeah they are, publicly shame walk this rear end in a top hat across the entire town

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kitfox88 posted:

:barf::barf::barf:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

This is Jessica. She is very smart.

She can be stubborn about some things, though.

This is Porthos. She is constantly attached to me, or in front of my computer in some fashion.

Using her uncle Rain's butt for a pillow.

I do not have any good recent pictures of her sister Athos or the other cats; I will fix that soon-ish. (There was an Aramis, but only 3 of Cassandra's kittens survived being born and Aramis failed to thrive :smith:)

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Do people think genetics are the only forces at play that make people different? I guess they do, because apparently, it's a big problem for pet cloning companies when the cloned cat comes out with a totally different coat and personality. There's so many other biological factors in play, from stuff as simple as the mother's hormone levels at that particular moment.

I heard a cloning story on NPR. A rancher had a prize bull that was gentle and friendly like a dog despite its massive size. The bull
suddenly died and the rancher was so heartbroken he had the bull cloned. The clone was nothing like the old one and almost
killed the rancher by goring him.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Dr. Weird voice: GENTLEMEN! BEHOLD!

Okay, that's enough out of me for now until I get those other pics.

Kitfox88 posted:

:stonk: What the christ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

I know a guy named Achilles. He's not Greek, he's from New Mexico. I guess some parents just want to punish their kids before they're even born

Kinda funny that's considered unusual compared to say, Hector. Then again come to think of it, that and Jason are probably the only classical Greek heroes I can think of whose names wouldn't raise an eyebrow in the English speaking world today. Ulysses gets an honourable mention.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Kitfox88 posted:

so before he lived with someone who would pick up his TP shitballs, did he just have them scattered all over his house or what

also how many of them do you suppose are in their bed at any given time

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Foo Diddley posted:

also how many of them do you suppose are in their bed at any given time

:barf:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

quantumwell posted:

I heard a cloning story on NPR. A rancher had a prize bull that was gentle and friendly like a dog despite its massive size. The bull
suddenly died and the rancher was so heartbroken he had the bull cloned. The clone was nothing like the old one and almost
killed the rancher by goring him.

Wait, is cloning animals just a thing that’s done casually for sentimental reasons now? There was a ton of commotion over Dolly some time back, but that was a lab experiment and since then cloning hasn’t really been in the news. I guess it has since been commercialized? And are there any practical applications other than rich people who don’t cope with loss well?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wait, is cloning animals just a thing that’s done casually for sentimental reasons now? There was a ton of commotion over Dolly some time back, but that was a lab experiment and since then cloning hasn’t really been in the news. I guess it has since been commercialized? And are there any practical applications other than rich people who don’t cope with loss well?

Honestly I've mostly heard it as a service for rich people to try to revive their dead pets right now. There's obviously a ton of other applications but legally and ethically most of them are unexplored.

Also currently clones can have pretty dramatically reduced lifespans depending on when the sample was taken because they have reduced telomeres. Also they're prone to some health issues, mostly difficulty with getting pregnant themselves and issues around birth.

Still its definitely A Thing for farms to clone studs and such right now, costs about 20k.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Barbra Streisand cloned her favourite dog, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

WIBTA for sabotaging my boyfriend's hookup with his girlfriend by filling his sex playlist with DJ Crazytimes

quote:

I (28NB, they/he) have known my boyfriend (call him Cee, 29M, he/him) for some 15ish years now. As long as I've known him, he has been on and off again with his girlfriend (call him Tee, 29NB, he/him). Respectfully, and with love, Cee and Tee are two of the worst and most annoying people I know. I want to marry them both specifically so that I can study them under a microscope like a parasitic virus.

Technically they're monogamous, but they're both hooking up with other people (myself included), usually the same people, because they have the same taste in lovers (bad). I have suggested that they give actual polyamory a try, and they reject the idea wholeheartedly. I think they get off on their dynamic, and far be it from me to try more than the bare minimum to dissuade them from it.

A couple months back, they got into a fight and broke up (again) because Tee (who was unemployed at the time) stole $50 from Cee (who works at GameStop) so that he could pay for a tank of gas (using Cee's car) to go hook up with another guy a couple states over. Cee was not upset that Tee was hooking up with another guy (because he was Also hooking up with that guy and knew he would not have a leg to stand on), but because of the stolen money + car.

Cee and I currently live together, because you can't afford an apartment on a GameStop salary, and also, like I said, he's my boyfriend. I'm making carnitas tacos next Friday, and Tee is coming over, because despite everything, he has nothing else to do on a Friday night. I know that Cee and Tee are going to get into a huge fight, and I know that it's probably either going to end with them getting back together out of spite or with someone's vehicle getting keyed--I'm betting on both.

Here's where I think I might be the rear end in a top hat. I would really like to get inbetween them. Not in a "I don't want you to date each other" kind of way, but in a "holy poo poo you are both so insufferable i would like to get in on that" kind of way. I currently have my thing with Cee, and I've hooked up with Tee once in the past, but I would really like to make it official with him as well.

My plan is as follows: Cee and Tee are going to be in the same space again next Friday. They're going to fight, then hook up, then get back together again. Cee is one of those cybersexual "i built my own computer and run it on Linux" people, which is to say, he thinks tiktok and youtube are evil, and he he thinks spotify premium is supporting megacorporations. So, his sex playlist for Tee (we do not have our own sex playlist) is just an actual folder of mp3 files.

While Cee is at work, I'm going to log into his computer and change several of those mp3 files to DJ Crazytimes' Planet of the Bass, which I play often, and he is frequently annoyed by. My hope is that he'll realize it was me, he'll come and yell at me for ruining their hookup, Tee will take my side to piss him off, and the tension will get to the point where they let me join their hookup, and I can ask to date both of them after that.

To be clear, I recognize that I'm also Incredibly Toxic for enabling and encouraging this behavior. That said, I feel like I'm justified in this scenario considering Cee and Tee are both Also toxic, and furthermore, it is a known fact that I'm dating Cee right now, so for them to hook up, Cee would technically be cheating on me. I asked Cee's sister (a childhood friend of mine) for her take on whether it would be funny or just annoying, and she just told me that we all deserve each other, so I think I should be good. Am I being uniquely lovely here?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 14, 2023