Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am very confused as to why you'd have the stovetop in the middle of the seating area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

So you can flip shrimp at your diners, clearly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

omg there isn’t a vent for the oven

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

euphronius posted:

omg there isn’t a vent for the oven

almost no apartments have vents either, just a fan that blows whatever youre cooking all over the place

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Technically there's supposed to be a filter attached to the fan but nobody ever cleans it

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
well it took the max of my budget but seller agreed to my offer. :stare:

came very close to losing the bid. there were 14 offers and offer after mine was $15000 more but we had underwriting in place.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 03:05 on Aug 13, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

my mom met some people who liked the charm of her place out in the middle of the woods of Louisiana, and offered to buy it from her, and I’m going to go in on the mortgage for a place that went on the market two days ago at the other end of our street a few blocks down.

and then we’ll have to remove her name from the property so that if she gets sick later and needs lots of care or something, Medicaid won’t steal it.

essentially I’ve gone from being a broke artist making $50k a year to owning two homes on the front range and being my mothers landlord and it’s all thanks to Covid, Bernie bucks, and donald tumpo

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i am harry posted:

my mom met some people who liked the charm of her place out in the middle of the woods of Louisiana, and offered to buy it from her, and I’m going to go in on the mortgage for a place that went on the market two days ago at the other end of our street a few blocks down.

and then we’ll have to remove her name from the property so that if she gets sick later and needs lots of care or something, Medicaid won’t steal it.

essentially I’ve gone from being a broke artist making $50k a year to owning two homes on the front range and being my mothers landlord and it’s all thanks to Covid, Bernie bucks, and donald tumpo

wow 2 homes huh? congrats mr. moneybags.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i am harry posted:

be careful the idiot Glenn lovers might think you're a landlord

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

wow 2 homes huh? congrats mr. moneybags.

this is possible almost exclusively because I’m self employed rather than being paid lots of money, I’ve posted about it before and I’ll do it again when the documents are signed 🤞

i am going to have two mortgages to pay, but having my mother down the street and my kids schools in the neighborhood is, well I would literally do almost anything for this right now after spending the last 8 years living here with two kids and no help …maybe not having to worry about where my children are going to loving live in fifteen to twenty years if rent is now 5x what it was when I was a teenager

i am harry has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Aug 13, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

i am harry posted:

this is possible almost exclusively because I’m self employed rather than being paid lots of money, I’ve posted about it before and I’ll do it again when the documents are signed 🤞

I've posted before in the doomsday econ thread (and had some random dnd shitlib posters get really loving angry at me about it for some reason) that being a BUSINESS OWNER is basically the one cheat code that still exists in America

You really need to be a stupidly high earner before regular employment is a better deal

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Ammanas posted:

yep this is the only way to buy in CA, if you dont have a house or parents giving you 80k you arent in the market.

good for you to consolidate the household, what general norcal area are you in? if Sac you just got a really nice house or a really huge plot of land. The new homes across from me are moderate to huge boxes with little yards and are arouns 750k all told.

Ty! It's a bit east of Sac proper, about a mile from the river (not one of those monstrosities they are leveling the hills to build in Folsom, those make me weep). Half an acre total that's easily accessible, I'm so happy we'll have the flexibility to build another unit on it if we need to. I feel like I can see my future stretching out before me, and it's one where I better have my poo poo together so I can take care of everyone.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i am harry posted:

i am going to have two mortgages to pay, but having my mother down the street and my kids schools in the neighborhood is, well I would literally do almost anything for this right now after spending the last 8 years living here with two kids and no help …maybe not having to worry about where my children are going to loving live in fifteen to twenty years if rent is now 5x what it was when I was a teenager

hoping things work out for you. it'll be nice for the kids to see grandma just down the road im sure.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I've posted before in the doomsday econ thread (and had some random dnd shitlib posters get really loving angry at me about it for some reason) that being a BUSINESS OWNER is basically the one cheat code that still exists in America

You really need to be a stupidly high earner before regular employment is a better deal

yes exactly. I bought a house in 2021. the bank asked, “how much do you earn? let’s see some tax returns and three months bank statements.”

for a normal job the bank says “give w2.”

that’s the crucial difference.
one might think that the bank asking me for previous tax returns would mean something, but my 2020 filing showed me earning $25k all year because of the shutdown.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Especially when it comes to offsetting your home expenses--renting or owning--through a home-office deduction.

My rent, utilities, cleaning & general household costs offsetting my rent? Yes, please! Same with car expenses, and that poo poo adds up, even with a paid-off car.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

i am harry posted:

yes exactly. I bought a house in 2021. the bank asked, “how much do you earn? let’s see some tax returns and three months bank statements.”

one might think that the bank asking me for previous tax returns would mean something, but my 2020 filing showed me earning $25k all year because of the shutdown.

One thing I learned when I was flush enough to think about buying (in bfc, iirc) was that mortgage companies factor in your gross income, not net after deductions, no matter how considerable those are.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

One thing I learned when I was flush enough to think about buying (in bfc, iirc) was that mortgage companies factor in your gross income, not net after deductions, no matter how considerable those are.

yeah right - so I’m incredibly lucky and not talking about this to brag at all. I think it’s loving bullshit.
some of my clients are like satellite engineers or professors or just god damnit hard working people who deserve a house just like me and everyone else, and can’t afford to buy a house because their income is an agreed upon amount on paper, whereas mine, or rather my answer to “how much do you earn?” was “…would you accept $120k…?”

I showed them three months of statements where I was busting my rear end tattooing way way more than I’d like to, and they were like “okay sure”

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

i am harry posted:

Yep.

If you do a search for "can I get a car loan/mortgage/what the gently caress ever as a self employed person?" you'll get tons of results telling you that it's a nightmare involving scrutiny into years of income.

The reality is that it is easy as poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

credit card companies believe whatever you tell them your income is so I have $50,000 in available credit, including a $13,000 amex when I made $18k last year

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I thought the thread might be interested in hearing about a property instrument that as far as I'm aware is unique to New Zealand, one so twisted that the New Zealand law commission has recommended that the whole mechanism be abolished.

Let's say you have a large piece of land in a city in the 1970's or 80's with a single house on it, and lets say that land is becoming quite valuable as the population increases and you can make mad bank if you slap a few more houses on that piece of land, how can you go about doing that? You could subdivide the land, such that the block becomes several distinct blocks which then get sold off to other people, but that's an annoying process requiring the council to do a lot of surveying, drainage, sewage etc.

Enter the cross-lease, how about instead of subdividing the block you just build several houses on what is technically a single block of land as far as the council is concerned. Then how about you find buyers for those houses and you enter into an agreement with all of those people such that you all have an equal percentage ownership of the entire block of land AND all of the houses on it. But wait, doesn't that mean that any of the other property owners are entitled to walk into my house and watch me take a poo poo? Yes!, that's why you also all sign agreements giving each property owner a 99 year exclusive access lease for their particular house and piece of land, ensuring that everyone has legal access to shared land (e.g driveway) but exclusive rights to their own piece of land and structures. These agreements also tend to have a big list of covenants that all of the owners have to agree to that could cover practically anything.

But wait, even though I have exclusive access to my land and house, all of the other owners still technically own an equal fraction of it right? Yes! Which means that if you want to do ANYTHING that might effect the value of those assets (usually structural or exterior changes mostly) you need to get consent from all of the other property owners first! Also, if you do something that requires updating of council plan documents, you need to update the documents for the entire block including all the other properties, and if those documents are not up to date then you can't legally sell your stake in the property.

Now you might think that this is probably a pretty rare thing but at least in Auckland it's common as gently caress, the original blocks of land particularly in the central city area were laid out when the population density was way lower, and over the years it's far more common than not that several houses were plonked onto those blocks of land. When we were looking at houses a year ago I think we only looked at one house that occupied its own block with no shared property (as they tend to be larger and therefore much more expensive properties). Almost every house we looked at was either a cross-lease or on a block that had been subdivided, the house we ended up in is on the back of a block that was subdivided and now contains two houses with a shared driveway, but is thankfully not a cross-lease.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh my God it's a detached condo.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Benagain posted:

Oh my God it's a detached condo.

Imagine having a leaky roof that needs to be replaced, but then having to get into a big argument with several other property owners about what you're allowed to do to fix it, and you have to get unanimous agreement about the replacement before work can start.

Edit: And they all have a significant financial investment in the outcome!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1690755201274109953?s=20

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Blackhawk posted:

Imagine having a leaky roof that needs to be replaced, but then having to get into a big argument with several other property owners about what you're allowed to do to fix it, and you have to get unanimous agreement about the replacement before work can start.

Edit: And they all have a significant financial investment in the outcome!

Yeah look up condominiums it's the same thing but usually in one building. A detached condo is like the worst version of an HOA and condo together.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

if I was forced to live in DE I would seriously look at this house. however, I am not a fan of step down living rooms and throughout my house hunting lately pictures get me in the door and after about 1 min I know if this is a dud or not.

I’m sure I’ve said this before in the thread and mid century modern homes seem awesome to own but after seeing about 6 or so during the past month, the odd design choices seem to add up in repairs. but they do have great living rooms…

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Aug 14, 2023

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Benagain posted:

Yeah look up condominiums it's the same thing but usually in one building. A detached condo is like the worst version of an HOA and condo together.

Over here apartment buildings are normally governed by a body corporate, which streamlines things because most decisions are made by a selected committee of owners, or only require the agreement of 50% or 75% of the building property owners vs. 100% in the case of the cross-lease. Also in a body corporate you pay annual fees that go towards things like insurance and a maintenance fund, so in theory everyone is paying equally towards those things, while in a cross-lease you're responsible for your own property exclusively despite everyone else having a say in what you do to it. Body corporates like HOA's obviously come with their own minefield of problems lol.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I learned kind of recently that a large-ish (like maybe 3500 sq. ft?) house down the road from me apparently got split up into three apartments years ago. At some point those apartments got sold off individually, and the whole thing turned into a weird three unit condo complete with legally-required HOA, with one unit still functioning as a rental for the original landlord who split the place up.

Not as weird as that cross-lease garbage but I still can't imagine that situation is anything but a total nightmare given that this is very much a single family detached home on a normal plot of land and not something that was ever meant to be split three ways for maintenance and repairs.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

that kitchen kicks rear end

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Just saw a listicle from Southern Living about how you should consider moving your refrigerator to outside your kitchen, so you can make room for a 60" range

what in the world

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

the only reason that this thing doesn't have a retro conversation pit in the living room is that it's probably just a couple feet above the water table (which is full of chicken farm runoff)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just saw a listicle from Southern Living about how you should consider moving your refrigerator to outside your kitchen, so you can make room for a 60" range

what in the world

I'd love a giant flat thing for burgers and stir fry built in

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i say swears online posted:

I'd love a giant flat thing for burgers and stir fry built in

thats supposed to be outside, not the fridge

Jenny Agutter posted:

that kitchen kicks rear end

i was going to say i wouldnt mind making breakfast in that kitchen :heysexy:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

i am harry posted:

thats supposed to be outside, not the fridge

i was going to say i wouldnt mind making breakfast in that kitchen :heysexy:

Too hot to grill outside right now in the sunbelt states. Might break out in a sweat and I simply can’t have that.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

that fireplace rules

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I much prefer this to the loving HGTV “everything must be a shade of beige because RESELL VALUE” that has sucked out any personality from homes. Like gently caress you live there, go wild and decorate it as you want instead of a hypothetical investment for an imagined buyer

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

what in the world

HGTV says you need a commercial range. Sorry, I don't make the rules

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
meanwhile in Pittsburgh

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1690793510729834497?s=20

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The housing market - Think it depends on the definition of exploding

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

this is doing some stuff and I don't think it's bad. way more interesting than white/beige/black minimalism or whatever the boring rear end trend is right now. i dislike wall to wall carpet but that's hardly worth commenting on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
2 homes on my street got facelifts and turned 1920s brick homes into black and white. looks so silly and will be so dated looking.