Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I’ll definitely pick it up again when Stadium Stampede comes out, that seems fun and dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
I don't know why the match length is something that needs to be "fixed" though. Most of the gameplay-related mod fixes seem more about preference than fixing a game to be honest.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gaz-L posted:

I genuinely wonder if the issue is Kenny being more an FGC nerd than a wrestling game one.

Okay yes what we actually need is street fighter x aew

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I don't know why the match length is something that needs to be "fixed" though. Most of the gameplay-related mod fixes seem more about preference than fixing a game to be honest.

If the majority of your player base thinks matches are too short, you balanced the game wrong.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is the majority of the playerbase downloading these mods

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

looks like 89 downloads. 50%?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

someone ask them how many of them are modders

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i apologize to aew that i made up some extremely pathetic numbers and the irl numbers are even worse

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
For whatever it's worth, AEW Games did a twitter and discord poll for what the player base wants the most and the #1 thing was "more CAW stuff" by a large number of votes. That makes me happy because honestly that's all I really want. I love making CAWs even if I never use half of them

Thing is that we have no idea when that will even happen because they still haven't given a date for anything. I remember seeing some July and August DLC bits but they were supposed to be like 2 wrestlers and some other stuff. I think Keith Lee was one of them?

Anyway I love the game but it's disappointing that they're not communicating anything at all about a rough development roadmap. I don't even need dates, just say "Stadium Stampede this fall and a big CAW parts pack around Christmas" or anything at all

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

CarlCX posted:

someone ask them how many of them are modders

Lmao, am wondering what the sales are for the game and if it's AEW's first big L.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

If the majority of your player base thinks matches are too short, you balanced the game wrong.

What is this game design by committee crap

I for one prefer a game where matches don’t take forever to resolve.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Lmao, am wondering what the sales are for the game and if it's AEW's first big L.

what about their mobiles games they made lol

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Would hope the numbers improve after the first big sales price, I can't be the only one waiting for it to drop below 40

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
All they need is sliders that impact momentum speed or hit points and that would have an instant effect on match times. This game needs a lot of work though. I really like the core engine, but the lack of a proper creation suite and match types really limits the playability of the game for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitch.tv/aewgames

Looks like Uno is playing more FF today. Haven't really seen any non-FF content from AEW games in a bit. Can't wait to hear him say he has no idea/cant tell us about fixes/DLC/stadium stampede

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hah, Meltzer, Bryan and Vinny will appear in WrestleQuest (per WOL)

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
R.I.P. Rick Rude, Bret Hart, Diamond Dallas Page, Greg Valentine, Dolph Ziggler, Tony Land.

Cult of Pies fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 9, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cult of Pies posted:

R.I.P. Rick Rude, Bret Hart, Diamond Dallas Page, Greg Valentine, Dolph Ziggler.

Poipl da Clown Jr. is a multiple murderer. And I don’t know how to feel about that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Congrats to the newest Hart Foundation member, POIPL daclown Jr

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I love how Johnny makes a decision at the end of the stream and then acts as if it was forced on him.
Almost all of the tragedies of the daclown family are because he hits roam instead of proceed on injury weeks.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I picked up the AEW edition of the Vs. card game at Gen-Con (and got it signed by Brandon Cutler!). I've only been able to play one game so far, and I'm not familiar with the system, so a lot of it was learning what the heck to do.

My initial thoughts are that while it is fun, it doesn't feel at all like a wrestling match. Vs. is generally a superhero card game, and it really does feel like that. I've got nothing against wrestlers showing up to a superhero fight (I loved the WWE expansion of the superhero miniatures game, HeroClix), but don't go into this thinking that it's a wrestling card game. It's a superhero card game with a wrestling skin.

It's a non-blind box, so you get all the cards with a single purchase, which is nice. Characters are divided into Faces and Heels, and it feels like that was pretty finalized last year, as Jericho and Sammy are faces and the Elite are heels. Pretty much on the same roster timetable as Fight Forever - Brian and Keith Lee are the two most-recent signings in there.

You build either a Heel or Face deck, and pick a Main Character (Britt, Statlander, Adam Cole, Adam Page, Darby, MJF, Brian, Mox, Malakai, Jade, Thunder Rosa, and Jericho). Your deck will have locations (mostly PPVs, and either the left or right tunnel), which you play to generate resources to recruit Supporting Characters, play plot twists and add equipment like bats and chairs. It's quite similar to Magic the Gathering, although you have a front and back row to put your creatures into.

Main Characters can level up, each in their own way, which is fun. Once Britt sees enough people get wounded, the doctor will see you and you get to swap her card for a more powerful version.

It also comes with cards for four specialty match types, and suggests that you pick one randomly, so the one game that I played ended up as a Texas Death Match, which meant that any time a supporting character took a wound (most characters can endure 3-5), they were instead defeated. So it wasn't a good way to get a real sense of what a proper game would feel like, as few supporting characters survived for more than one round. It feels like most games would have a much larger group of wrestlers on either side, but Texas Death rarely had more than two per side.

There are some fun mechanics which do at least nod towards wrestling. In Vs., normally you can discard a duplicate of a character on the field to power that character up, but the AEW expansion has set tag-teams, and if you discard someone's partner, not only do they get the standard power-up, they also get a neat special bonus. Jungle Boy helps Luchasaurus attack faster, while Luchasaurus helps Jungle Boy get tankier.

My favorite thing so far is Danhausen, who can burn resources to curse someone. The rules require that you do the point to a specific target, and then roll a die to see what happens. Britt Baker got cursed, and was unable to deal damage for a turn. The curse had no effect on Miro, and he immediately broke Danhausen in half.

So, yeah, it is a fun enough game, and I bet it would be fun to have the Lucha Bros fight the X-Men, but it's not much of a wrestling game.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Torrent posted:

I picked up the AEW edition of the Vs. card game at Gen-Con (and got it signed by Brandon Cutler!). I've only been able to play one game so far, and I'm not familiar with the system, so a lot of it was learning what the heck to do.

So, yeah, it is a fun enough game, and I bet it would be fun to have the Lucha Bros fight the X-Men, but it's not much of a wrestling game.

Thank you for the write-up. Sounds fun.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I didn't get a great night's sleep the other night and I created a very dumb creation

https://twitter.com/Ozzilla22/status/1689196993699356672

https://twitter.com/Ozzilla22/status/1689219284747337729/photo/1

Uncle HowD-Von was also probably a dumb portmanteau but I was walking home from the shops and just went "poo poo that's a decent one"

Cult of Pies posted:

R.I.P. Rick Rude, Bret Hart, Diamond Dallas Page, Greg Valentine, Dolph Ziggler, Tony Land.

You can't prove that poipl did that, he was asleep in the Subway car.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 9, 2023

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Poipl da Clown Jr. is a multiple murderer. And I don’t know how to feel about that.

Dark Side Of Da Ring: POIPL daclown Jr

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Poipl Junior is the worst subway criminal since Jared Fogle.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Golden Bee posted:

Poipl Junior is the worst subway criminal since Jared Fogle.

:wal::stat: DOHOHOHOHOHO

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Testekill posted:

I didn't get a great night's sleep the other night and I created a very dumb creation

https://twitter.com/Ozzilla22/status/1689196993699356672

https://twitter.com/Ozzilla22/status/1689219284747337729/photo/1

Uncle HowD-Von was also probably a dumb portmanteau but I was walking home from the shops and just went "poo poo that's a decent one"

You can't prove that poipl did that, he was asleep in the Subway car.

lol i like it

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
In the latest POIPL da clown JR. stream, a referee picks up an errant bundle of dynamite and slams it into the ground while counting the three. It explodes upon the 3 count and launches all the competitors, and also doesn't count as a pin.

https://clips.twitch.tv/LightOptimisticLouseTBCheesePull-E2esC9Y1bopi0mHH

Until another wrestling game is capable of generating such magnificence, Wrestling Empire will remain the greatest professional wrestling game of all time.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

More NL stuff, Adam released a solo video of him playing Extreme Warfare Revenge for almost 4 hours. It's a pretty great primer on how to play wrestling booker sim games like a true sicko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKBnbtdwi28

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
As a booking sim sicko I am extremely psyched to see nL Australian (the other one) taking EWR more seriously than usual.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I don’t see the point of only one new Legacy guy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

adam is a good solo streamer

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Adam's fun. It'd be more fun with more people but sometimes people are busy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Is ewr actually worth playing over tew?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Is ewr actually worth playing over tew?

It's a lot less involved / more casual than TEW, so outside of the price difference it kinda comes down to whether you want each game week to take 1hour or 4hours to deal with.

For example, each EWR show is twelve segments where as in TEW you book to the minute. Stats are simpler in EWR, as is roster management and negotiations etc.

I'd love it if someone ported EWR to mobile, it would be the perfect commute game.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

blunt posted:

It's a lot less involved / more casual than TEW, so outside of the price difference it kinda comes down to whether you want each game week to take 1hour or 4hours to deal with.

For example, each EWR show is twelve segments where as in TEW you book to the minute. Stats are simpler in EWR, as is roster management and negotiations etc.

I'd love it if someone ported EWR to mobile, it would be the perfect commute game.

There are QOL problems with EWR that get fixed in TEW, like manual sponsorships, and having to manually put wrestlers at the push you want them. I wish someone would just make a straight up re-implementation of EWR and then keep patching it and modernizing it from there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i mean, i have played both ewr and tew 2005, but probably not since then :D

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Any of these booking sims let you book match cards and take care of the promoting aspect outside the shows themselves or are they all geared for american TV style wrestling with a bunch of talky segments?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

In both TEW and EWR you set a promotion style that determines your audiences expectation of match:segment ratio (and match style itself), and then can also book matches in advance that affect tickets/viewership based on worker overness and feud hype. TEW is just more in depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Texas Chainsaw Massacre game this week :hellyeah: