Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

edit: It's really funny to me how some devs have responded to how amazing BG3 is by saying that you can't expect other devs to step up and actually make good games, larian are witches or something.

The trick is they can't say the quiet part out loud because a man with a gun is standing two feet to their right if they say anything on Twitter while visibly being a studio dev.

The quiet part being that, yeah, we actually can't expect this kind of quality from most studios, they're not out here calling Larian names or something. They're quietly pleading with people on Twitter to realize that Larian had six years, two massively successful prior games and an already really good engine for exactly the game they were building and a decade of experience with it. Not to mention multiple years of feedback. Most devs are lucky to get three years in a complete vacuum with no feedback at all.

Is that, you know, great? No, it sucks rear end and even if it didn't always result in games as good as BG3 we should probably stop institutionally working video game devs to death on ridiculous schedules that basically haven't changed for most teams since the early 2000s. But it does mean those devs aren't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Wish there was an option to never to talk my companions. The number of times I've accidentally talked to someone instead of moving or selecting something is nuts.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SirSamVimes posted:

For some reason being nice to him at all makes him think he is in a romance with you so when I ended up getting with the character I actually wanted to, he got huffy at me.

It's Anders all over again.

edit: It's really funny to me how some devs have responded to how amazing BG3 is by saying that you can't expect other devs to step up and actually make good games, larian are witches or something.

I think I hit the right combination with Gale. He did the PUA routine of teaching me magic, then I clearly turned him down. After that he invited me to look at the stars and that conversation was just being sad about his ex wanting him to kill himself, but you know what, he has friends now so maybe life is worth living. It was very sweet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The only weapons I need are these muscles

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's an dialogue option in CK3 to tell someone who tried to seduce you to gently caress off, and nobody ever better even think of trying that again, thereby excluding you from future seduction attempts. It's apparently a great relief for IRL women who are sick of being pestered for sex every few seconds.

...I wonder if BG3 needs that option?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Serephina posted:

There's an dialogue option in CK3 to tell someone who tried to seduce you to gently caress off, and nobody ever better even think of trying that again, thereby excluding you from future seduction attempts. It's apparently a great relief for IRL women who are sick of being pestered for sex every few seconds.

...I wonder if BG3 needs that option?

Yes please, I don't want to deal with all this horny nonsense in my murder simulator.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

deep dish peat moss posted:

BG3 is a cool game (I have a lot of nagging complaints about it) but I'm always going to be eternally curious how much lower its sales/playercount would be if they didn't lean extra hard into horniness. It is a legitimately good game underneath the horniness but the horniness is the part that even still dominates a lot of the discussion being had about the game among casual gamers, and telling each other horny stories is what a lot of modern D&D groups are all about, so I think the extreme horniness is what let them capture all of the non-"core" gamers who otherwise wouldn't play CRPGs and just want horny animated media to interact with.

I don't think it's going to cause a flood of good CRPGs in the game-o-sphere but it's definitely going to solidify the advance of extremely horny offerings dominating the steam store pages and it's going to mean that every CRPG released from here on out will be supremely horny, because that is demonstrably what sells these days.

While a goon spending an eternity being obsessed thinking about how horny those dang video games are these days is not exactly surprising, I don't believe it translates to sales on that scale quite simply as all that. What I bet it more likely is, aside from the game being very good with marketing and a trusted team behind it obviously, is that the party members and characters in general are very well-liked and written. When people talk about games like say, the old Baldur's Gate games, it is pretty universally the characters and primarily party members that people reminisce about rather than the fights or the quests. From my experience fandoms live and die on the strength of the characters and their interactions when it comes to character-focused RPGs like this, and while being able to bang them in-game and not just in fanfiction is welcome to many, it does require people actually caring about said characters to begin with.

The higher amount of sexual content is no doubt having people talking, just like 2B's rear end had people talking about Nier Automata on a scale they likely wouldn't have otherwise, but the vast majority of people are not going to buy or recommend a full-price game solely because of it unless the actual game is worth buying and playing for its actual main merits.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gamers horny, huh?

well I'll be

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I play BG3 for the articles

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

fez_machine posted:

I play BG3 for the articles

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

fez_machine posted:

Steam Thread: I play BG3 for the articles

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Orv posted:

The trick is they can't say the quiet part out loud because a man with a gun is standing two feet to their right if they say anything on Twitter while visibly being a studio dev.

The quiet part being that, yeah, we actually can't expect this kind of quality from most studios, they're not out here calling Larian names or something. They're quietly pleading with people on Twitter to realize that Larian had six years, two massively successful prior games and an already really good engine for exactly the game they were building and a decade of experience with it. Not to mention multiple years of feedback. Most devs are lucky to get three years in a complete vacuum with no feedback at all.

Is that, you know, great? No, it sucks rear end and even if it didn't always result in games as good as BG3 we should probably stop institutionally working video game devs to death on ridiculous schedules that basically haven't changed for most teams since the early 2000s. But it does mean those devs aren't wrong.

This whole argument is so annoying because it's all like... completely speculative. Nobody is actually saying that other devs are lazy compared to Larian, but people are worked up over the fact that someone in the future is going to do that.

And, like... BG3 is good, but it's not the be-all end-all of CRPGs or anything. It feels like it's another iteration on what that studio has been doing since Divinity Original Sin in 2014. It has a lot of the same UI problems, and still has way too many fiddly pieces of loot to sort through in every container. It's not some diamond-cut masterpiece that nobody can ever live up to, it's just another game from a studio that makes games like this.

Where was all this hand-wringing around Elden Ring?

I guess it's just people using this as an excuse to bemoan the state of the video game industry, but it just strikes me as very silly and disingenuous.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's fascinating because I know BG3 had been in EA for a long time and I love CRPGs but I never bothered with 3 because I didn't like the encounter design in D:OS2 (why even have an element system when 'demon blood lit on fire' is the standard in half the fights) and 5e is a very mediocre RPG combat system. Some of my closest friends are huge D&D/CR fans and they've been playing it but never mentioned anything aside from the game being very good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Begemot posted:

I guess it's just people using this as an excuse to bemoan the state of the video game industry, but it just strikes me as very silly and disingenuous.

Literally the same thing happened when Elden Ring came out. Devs said don't expect this to be the new norm, people freaked out. It's also really not speculative at all, the last decade has had more and more devs talk about how it goes in the industry.

E: Though granted I want to say the devs who spoke out on the Elden Ring point were a bit less diplomatic about it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 14, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Begemot posted:

This whole argument is so annoying because it's all like... completely speculative. Nobody is actually saying that other devs are lazy compared to Larian, but people are worked up over the fact that someone in the future is going to do that.

And, like... BG3 is good, but it's not the be-all end-all of CRPGs or anything. It feels like it's another iteration on what that studio has been doing since Divinity Original Sin in 2014. It has a lot of the same UI problems, and still has way too many fiddly pieces of loot to sort through in every container. It's not some diamond-cut masterpiece that nobody can ever live up to, it's just another game from a studio that makes games like this.

It's also not "lazy devs" people should be angry at. It's the publishers, the venture capital, the bullshit producer notes that these creatives have to deal with. That's the difference between them and Larian, they just can't say that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Begemot posted:

It did happen with Elden Ring. Which led to images like this being made

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Warning: Our game contains sick-rad kick flips.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Orv posted:

Wasn't the whole conversation started by one of the devs on Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator?

Because, yes, small indie devs in particular are not going to be competing with Larian on scale.

Begemot posted:

Honestly, I don't think that's true. I think a lot of devs get poo poo about how their games don't have XYZ of massive AAA games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is anyone really going to be comparing Indie RPGMaker Game to BG3? I thought the comparisons are going to be reserved for something like when Elder Scrolls 6 comes out and is inevitably way worse and has less features.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I urge people to read the last few pages of the Pillars of Eternity thread which just had this discussion
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856099&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=882

Orv
May 4, 2011

mycot posted:

Is anyone really going to be comparing Indie RPGMaker Game to BG3? I thought the comparisons are going to be reserved for something like when Elder Scrolls 6 comes out and is inevitably way worse and has less features.

I mean, sane people will only compare AAA/AA stuff to BG3 but have you met the internet?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Leal posted:

It did happen with Elden Ring. Which led to images like this being made

Entirely deserved, some of the moaning during the Elden Ring version was of this convo came from Open World Game devs who had worked on Ubisoft-style games.

sour grapes lol

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 14, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The elden ring version of it was funnier because at least one of the angry devs was tweeting about how it's a bad game for lacking the things in that mock screenshot, not just tweeting that it set unrealistic expectations.

edit: here it is:

https://www.gamerbraves.com/horizon-and-ubisoft-game-developers-lock-twitter-accounts-after-posting-bitter-elden-ring-tweets/

The guy complaining about the UI is a Ubisoft UI designer, the woman complaining about the graphics is a graphics programmer on the LEGO games, the guy complaining about quest design is a quest designer for Horizon: Zero Dawn/Forbidden West.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 14, 2023

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ubisoft developers have no right to criticize anything. They haven't made anything that's not garbage in decades.

It would only be funnier if a Bethesda developer did the same.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

darkly ironic lol

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

The elden ring version of it was funnier because at least one of the angry devs was tweeting about how it's a bad game for lacking the things in that mock screenshot, not just tweeting that it set unrealistic expectations.

edit: here it is:

https://www.gamerbraves.com/horizon-and-ubisoft-game-developers-lock-twitter-accounts-after-posting-bitter-elden-ring-tweets/

The guy complaining about the UI is a Ubisoft UI designer, the woman complaining about the graphics is a graphics programmer on the LEGO games, the guy complaining about quest design is a quest designer for Horizon: Zero Dawn/Forbidden West.

They're not complaining???

They're saying Elden Ring is excellent and that all their work on Ubisoft stuff has been wasted because Elden Ring is so good without all the stuff they are employed to do

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Huh. I guess I hadn't thought of it that way when I've seen that image before. "My life is a lie" really could be them them stating that what they do is less important to the perceived quality of games than they thought. I guess I'm so irony poisoned that I interpreted it differently. Now I'm not sure what to think.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fez_machine posted:

They're saying Elden Ring is excellent and that all their work on Ubisoft stuff has been wasted because Elden Ring is so good without all the stuff they are employed to do
from software also employs people to put all that stuff (which is in the game) in the game.

KNR
May 3, 2009
"Reviewers don't give a flaming poop about UX" shows he didn't get it at all. The issue isn't that UX is less important than he thought, the issue is that many people perceive the Ubisoft approach to UX as terrible:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That assumes he thinks his job is to make games better. I could easily believe he thinks his job is to make number go up. I mean, it's definitely why Ubisoft employ... well everyone they employ.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

fez_machine posted:

they're clearly being salty about their lovely games getting owned by elden ring, and that the stuff they're paid to work on sucks rear end and doesn't matter

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
actually i take the last bit back, their work does matter. it makes the games worse.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Even Ubisoft games have parts that are extremely well done, but I assume the management is the part in the hierarchy that insists on putting them into tired franchises.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of Elden Ring.
Does anyone else also hate it when they stop using numbers for the sequels for no reason?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
What do you mean, Elden Ring is clearly a prequel?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Things from established Open World Design that Elden Ring could have learned from and used to their benefit:

Can't believe people uncritically praised the game and called it GOTY when it was missing such core design pillars...

And now people are doing the same with Baldur's Gate III?! Slap in the face to decades of AAA luminaries.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of Elden Ring.
Does anyone else also hate it when they stop using numbers for the sequels for no reason?

Oh man, those games were batshit insane.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of Elden Ring.

Numbers have no place in the sigma dwarf grindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

KazigluBey posted:

Things from established Open World Design that Elden Ring could have learned from and used to their benefit:

Can't believe people uncritically praised the game and called it GOTY when it was missing such core design pillars...

And now people are doing the same with Baldur's Gate III?! Slap in the face to decades of AAA luminaries.

If you can't use a credit card to trivialize challenges and skip progress, then can it even be called AAA?