Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah this was the cool poo poo to me lol

That guy's stuff looks rad though
MTRON and space police 2 were my era. MTRON was the loving best, I have like 3 of the giant six wheeled land vehicle from that, the MEGA CORE MAGNETIZER!!! They will never bring it back because they don't do magnets anymore because apparently the ones from that era were choking hazards. Makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

MTRON and space police 2 were my era. MTRON was the loving best, I have like 3 of the giant six wheeled land vehicle from that, the MEGA CORE MAGNETIZER!!! They will never bring it back because they don't do magnets anymore because apparently the ones from that era were choking hazards. Makes me sad.

the problem with little magnets like that isn't choking. Well, maybe the Lego ones were because if I recall correctly they were basically sized and shaped perfectly to block a child's throat. But the real problem with small magnets like that in toyds is that if you swallow two of them they can pinch pieces of your intestines together, which causes the kind of health problems you don't want to think about.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh gently caress that's right, that's the reason. Reminds me of when I was helping out at a school rummage sale and they found a box of those magnet orb "puzzles" that were exactly the thing you're talking about, and one of the staff took them specifically to dispose of them properly because they're that dangerous if a kid gets them.

Rummage sales where people donate poo poo to them like that are fun, sometimes you get the old metal-tipped spike lawn darts(like I did before they could throw them away), sometimes you get an extremely old science kit with a literal container of mercury in it, sometimes you get some chucklehead slipping in a VHS copy of Legend of the Overfiend into the video area

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

bionicles seem like, an extremely you had to have been there kind of thing. if you werent 10 years old at some point between the years of 2000 and 2005 its like, what the fucks a bionicle

Lol yeah one of my little brothers liked em but the other brother and I were only into regular ones

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i remember seeing commercials for bionicles a lot, but by that time i had stopped buying toys and was only interested in Video Games

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Invictus posted:

the same goes for most lego stuff, honestly. like who the gently caress remembers Spyrius, or Blacktron. they were super cool, for sure, but nobody remembers them. an entire line of bad guys! with robots!

hoooooly poo poo i used to have both those sets

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bionicles were badass

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Who here has had The Bionicle Dream?

I've had The Bionicle Dream multiple times and it's always unnerving when I awake and find myself not in a nostalgic lego store paradise.

poo poo maybe I should revive my years-dead LP of the Mata Nui Online Game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the same goes for most lego stuff, honestly. like who the gently caress remembers Spyrius, or Blacktron. they were super cool, for sure, but nobody remembers them. an entire line of bad guys! with robots!

Literally never heard of these lmao. I know Galidor but only because of the top down flash action rpg on the Lego website which owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGkddLZMK8A

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Gripweed posted:

Who here has had The Bionicle Dream?
I've had it fairly regularly and was tickled to find out it's like a common thing. Bionicle happened during the right stretch of my childhood for that, though these days I find other types of lego more engaging. There's just so much you can do with modern pieces you couldn't do back then...

(Spyrius was some of the earliest sets I remember having and I'd love a modern take on those designs)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd never heard of Bionicles until they became a meme like 3 years ago? Probably longer than that time has no meaning for me now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it was a very specific stretch in the early oughts when bionicle was massive, after metru nui it kind of flamed out and after a few further lines that weren't as successful they canned the whole thing. an ignoble fate for the franchise that saved the company, tbh.

anyways, these were my favorite three lego sets as a kid and nothing else compares don't @ me

that mega core magnetizer for $35 would probably be like $150 today.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Captain Invictus posted:

bionicle was stupidly huge for years my dude, they were buildable action figures and I remember going into department stores(back before walmart and target were the only ones) and seeing the bionicle shelves just CLEANED OUT. it was the first SUCCESSFUL line of action figures lego made. like the alternative was...Galidor.

I played the poo poo out of the Galidor browser game as a kid. I remember liking the show too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

anyways, these were my favorite three lego sets as a kid and nothing else compares don't @ me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The only lego I had as a kid were the knights and castles stuff. Then it started to get a bit weird with the dragon Knight stuff and there there was some bat faction and that's pretty much when i stopped asking my parents to buy lego

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

drat I love ice planet guys.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that one was so cool and I was super jealous of my neighbor who had it, but I chose to ask for nintendo games instead of it for christmas

e: I kinda fell off legos a few years back but I did build this thing:

using 3 of this set:

loving love taking a set and just building something using only the pieces in it and nothing else, or multiples of a small set into one big thing

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 14, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I am an old and I don't even remember the specific sets we had in the 80's. I had a pirate ship that was huge, and there was a lot of knights and castles.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The only thing about Bionicle I remember was using Google translate to ask Mexican corporate about "Creeping In My Soul", the song from the commercials because American corporate wouldn't tell me poo poo.

Mexican corporate did indeed tell me the name of the song and that it was going to be released, which it was! I still listen to it on Spotify.

E: I would love a little Scooby-Doo Lego set but Jesus Christ the prices on those things

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 14, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Apparently in denmark the men and women look just like lego people. I haven't been there myself

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's funny that when they got their first license with Star Wars, they were like "So do we make them yellow? What about Lando? Is a yellow Lego person white?" And then they just gave the licensed mini figures real skin tones

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Finally got RE4R working on PC after going through the usual gamut of updating DirectX, display drivers, setting permissions for the program on Wandows, etc. Don't know what actually did it but I feel like this is the first time this usually pointless exercise has actually fixed something

It was crashing out after like 10 minutes of gameplay no matter how low I set all the graphical options- apparently game has a known VRAM issue where usage will randomly spike and when it fills your GPU's VRAM that's it, crash to desktop or lockup. I hope the issue doesn't return because the game is great so far- feels like familiar but meaningfully updated so far. We'll see if the crashing issue returns

Dunno WTF Capcom did on this one since the other recent REngine games I've played on PC have been just loving fine

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh gently caress that's right, that's the reason. Reminds me of when I was helping out at a school rummage sale and they found a box of those magnet orb "puzzles" that were exactly the thing you're talking about, and one of the staff took them specifically to dispose of them properly because they're that dangerous if a kid gets them.

Rummage sales where people donate poo poo to them like that are fun, sometimes you get the old metal-tipped spike lawn darts(like I did before they could throw them away), sometimes you get an extremely old science kit with a literal container of mercury in it, sometimes you get some chucklehead slipping in a VHS copy of Legend of the Overfiend into the video area

https://www.theonion.com/fun-toy-banned-because-of-three-stupid-dead-kids-1819565691

Captain Invictus posted:

it was a very specific stretch in the early oughts when bionicle was massive, after metru nui it kind of flamed out and after a few further lines that weren't as successful they canned the whole thing. an ignoble fate for the franchise that saved the company, tbh.

that mega core magnetizer for $35 would probably be like $150 today.

gently caress yeah

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've sunk into a heroes of might and magic 3 hole again. I don't really understand why the later editions never gripped me, on paper they're basically the same. Maybe it's just the art? And the sound? I COULD revisit the newer ones to see if they have worse gameplay too but i honestly can't remember, but then again why bother when there's a perfectly good heroes 3 right in front of me

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
heroes 5,6,7, etc. all hewed very closely to the design of 3, focusing on graphical updates, and ended up being fairly boring as a result. 4 wasn't very well received at the time, but it at least was trying something substantially different with the design focusing on heroes as playable units in battle, and i think there's more reason to return to it as a result. obviously still can't hold a candle to 3 tho

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Combining the topics: it's heroes of might and magic 3, but space themed, and the different starting towns are all the different 80s/90s space Legos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HoMMV is tied with 3 in my mind for best in the series and has two expansions that I think come for free now.

For something more modern you can play the superb Age of Wonders 4!!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

External Organs posted:

Combining the topics: it's heroes of might and magic 3, but space themed, and the different starting towns are all the different 80s/90s space Legos.

That was almost a real town in HoMM3 (look up Forge) but the nerds complained because it would be too weird

And while I love 3, I also have a soft spot for HoMM2 with its cartoony graphics.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

god yes i wish i still had this

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Best Christmas of my life was one spent building a 2-3 ft. length lego-ish naval battleship at my grandma's house. Had adjustable gun batteries and everything!

Somehow the ship dissappeared soon after so I could never go back and check what brand it was when I was older. I don't really know what toy company did gigantic military-themed lego knock-offs in the early 2000s

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ramie posted:

Best Christmas of my life was one spent building a 2-3 ft. length lego-ish naval battleship at my grandma's house. Had adjustable gun batteries and everything!

Somehow the ship dissappeared soon after so I could never go back and check what brand it was when I was older. I don't really know what toy company did gigantic military-themed lego knock-offs in the early 2000s

Was it Mega Bloks?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I've sunk into a heroes of might and magic 3 hole again. I don't really understand why the later editions never gripped me, on paper they're basically the same. Maybe it's just the art? And the sound? I COULD revisit the newer ones to see if they have worse gameplay too but i honestly can't remember, but then again why bother when there's a perfectly good heroes 3 right in front of me

The art style and vibe of this game owns. I fire it up occasionally, get nowhere and win nothing, but have a blast just dicking around the colourful exciting fantasy maps. Something about the big chunky events everywhere just looks so goox

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

Was it Mega Bloks?

Probably not? I remember it having some of the fancier pieces you usually only see in lego, smooth gray tiles and such. It also didn't have any light fixtures that big.

Looking into it a bit more, this is the closest to it I have seen. The deck was a lot less closely packed, though. It might be child memories making things seem larger than life, but I remember it being even wider, too

Also drat some of these knockoffs look neat...

Ramie fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 14, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We had a ton of mega blocks mixed in our giant Lego tub. Some of them fit well so it was cool to have the extra colours Lego didn't make.

Haha just remembered the first Christmas I had with my stepdad he got me this cool giant megablocks castle set that was really badass... But he put it together the night before only after realizing that like a lot of the fun comes from getting to build it. I didn't say anything bc I was still excited it was huge, more Legos than I ever had before but I liked that he took it apart when my mom and I went to visit someone briefly, and he sorted the pieces probably better than they came in the box. Good dad.

I'm glad they made cheapo Legos and I think these days knock offs can fit perfectly with Legos right? We made it work where we could as kids, sometimes you had a building with a megablocks section and a Lego section connected with some pieces that happened to snap well enough.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, the spiritual successor to Jet Set Radio, comes out in three days. Couldn't have been released next to bigger titles imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I built a real spaceship out of lego the other day

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Huh..? Just a box

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I finished the pokemon card game game boy game, overall p fun, making decks is fun, could use two major QoL updates though: 1. let us look up which booster pack type contains which cards; 2. don't have a single card pool for all of your decks, i.e. right now you can't use the same individual card in two decks (realistic I guess but annoying)

Coin flips. Delete that poo poo. Missing three in a row feels awful, and winning those three doesn't necessarily feel super great either.

The last match took forever, I won because the opponent drew through his entire deck. We both kept losing our coin flips

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Coin flips in card games aren't very fun. That's what dice rolling games are for.

It's odd there's a whole genre of Slay the Spire type card games but neither Magic or Pokemon have their take on it as far as I know. I guess it's counter productive to their normal card selling schemes but it doesn't cut away at those games either.

Monster Train but the monsters are pocket, boom ezpz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Legends of Runeterra has a slay the spire mode for its digital CCG