Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

yea ok posted:

There are plenty of gaps where people aren't wrestling their block matches. For example, Giulia is wrestling Yuu in 6 days, despite being in the 5 star. It's harder though you're right

Not on a bigger show though - she said that outside the unannounced matches she has one match in Osaka and one in Tokyo. Stardom's Osaka Edion Arena PPV is this weekend and KAIRI is not on the show with every match announced (and the only missing people are like Mai Sakurai and she seems to be taking time off); and the other Osaka show before the end of September is in Edion No 2 with many of the big names booked (matches are Tam vs Syuri, Giulia vs AZM, Utami vs MIRAI and Maika vs Mariah May) and she's only ever worked PPV level shows for Stardom which this would not be. In Tokyo they have a couple of Korakuens that are also below the level of show that she's worked but are more realistic I feel: the one on the 15th is all announced including undercard, the one on the 9th has a few names that might theoretically be availabie (Syuri gets a forfeit win over Saya on that show so could work it; other tournament matches are Tam vs Suzu, Kid vs Hazuki, Giulia vs Maika and Anou vs MIRAI). The Ota Ward PPV on the 19th is all announced and there really is not space for her on that show (that's the ones where they have a million vets on the show to fill the card out: I suspect if KAIRI was working that we'd know). If we broaden Tokyo to include Yokohama that would add the 5 Star GP finals show at the end of September but that is 9 block matches and the final so feels unlikely to be a place for a random KAIRI match (I guess you could do Suzu vs KAIRI as she was meant to be Saya's opponent on the final night); and the Dream Tag Festival show but again most of the big names are already announced in the weird mixed up tag teams already and they were 'fan voted' so aren't going to change. Unless she shows up on the tour shows which feels unlikely I don't see where a KAIRI match in Stardom happens before the end of September.

"I'd like to have a match with someone who belonged to Stardom from the start" can only really be a couple of people: Nanae or Mayu the two realistic ones (unless a Yoshiko return is on the cards). The former could happen in GLEAT or on the indies somewhere more easily than the latter; but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

yea ok posted:

All 3 of the tourney matches from 8/5 are worth watching. SLK/Suzu probably the best of the 3.

The ones on the following night were all good too. Aside from a couple of rushed ones on the first night and Saya's crash and burn it's been a predictably great tournament so far!

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
The latest Stardom World upload randomly being in 60fps is weird.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Stall_19 posted:

The latest Stardom World upload randomly being in 60fps is weird.

Someone on Twitter said they bought some new cameras. I hope that's true and it's not just a one off. I think it would also be cool if they invested in some more sets to dress up some of these smaller locations

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Based on a few things bushiroad must be happy with njpws profitability because it looks like they are spending money on infrastructure for both njpw and stardom.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Based on a few things bushiroad must be happy with njpws profitability because it looks like they are spending money on infrastructure for both njpw and stardom.

Will that include HD NJPW streams?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Will that include HD NJPW streams?

TV asahi provides the infrastructure for world i think. It's why it even exists at all.

But even just the stardom uploads have been better lately suggesting increased staff. Bushiroad reported a profit from wrestling for the third quarter of 2023 for the first time in ages.

It's actually quite interesting that the entire bushiroad era of stardom thus far has more or less been during a period of crises for the industry. I said earlier in the thread that ideally stardom gets some competition before njpw is profitable and it looks like njpw is making money

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Fancy gathering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aeuguoIfJw

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

New Stardom World upload and it's back to the usual framerate so I guess that show was just an error. Interesting to know that they could do 60fps.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Burn Down Canberra posted:

TV asahi provides the infrastructure for world i think. It's why it even exists at all.

But even just the stardom uploads have been better lately suggesting increased staff. Bushiroad reported a profit from wrestling for the third quarter of 2023 for the first time in ages.

It's actually quite interesting that the entire bushiroad era of stardom thus far has more or less been during a period of crises for the industry. I said earlier in the thread that ideally stardom gets some competition before njpw is profitable and it looks like njpw is making money

They haven't increased staff for World. As of now it's still just Sonny editing and uploading when he has time in whatever hotel room he's in.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/sayachan38vv/status/1625381731581972482

Huh, Stardom had the same kinda event earlier this year, and at the same place as well. Maybe some kinda sponsorship deal?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

https://twitter.com/sayachan38vv/status/1625381731581972482

Huh, Stardom had the same kinda event earlier this year, and at the same place as well. Maybe some kinda sponsorship deal?

Looks like it could pass for the Cinderella Tournament press conference but it's a month too early.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Stall_19 posted:

New Stardom World upload and it's back to the usual framerate so I guess that show was just an error. Interesting to know that they could do 60fps.

I haven't kept track of the schedule so each new upload is a delightful surprise - Syuri vs. Natsupoi and Mayu vs. Suzu? Yes please!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

yea ok posted:

They haven't increased staff for World. As of now it's still just Sonny editing and uploading when he has time in whatever hotel room he's in.

I can tell you for a literal fact that njpw has brought on staff because Chris Charlton promoted the job postings on twitter. Also as someone who has watched during the pandemic they clearly cut media in response and over the last few months things like video packages have returned.

Stardom went from literally weeks behind during golden week with the consensus being Sonny needed to be back in Tokyo to upload, to catching up and then doing an entire tour of northern Japan with a decent upload schedule. Hokkaido is even further away from Tokyo. That sounds like an increase in resources to me.

Especially as BR is again seeing profits from wrestling

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Okay

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Meltzer says that KAIRI isn’t staying because they won’t open the wallet up for whatever that is worth

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1689511082610884608

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
ASUKA/VENY announced via an Instagram story that, from Sendai Girls' September 2 show onward, she'll be going exclusively by VENY in Japan as well.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Konami challenged MIRAI for the white belt. That should be good

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Somebody in the replies said they enjoyed her as Kenny Pomega and now I can't stop imagining Kenny doing the chest drum and devastating shin kicks

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm watching Wrestle Sekigahara from GanPro and just have to say that if you have a Wrestle Universe account it's well worth watching Mio Momono & Takumi Iroha vs YuuRI & Tomoka Inaba, great match

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
AEW won't prominently feature any Joshi other than Shida so the indies are picking up the slack
https://twitter.com/crushTKB/status/1689904554777915392

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok posted:

Konami challenged MIRAI for the white belt. That should be good

9/3

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Is there anywhere I can get a rundown on what's going on in Stardom at the moment?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Is there anywhere I can get a rundown on what's going on in Stardom at the moment?

Off the top of my head:

My current favorite story is Saki Kashima. She got kicked out of Oedo Tai after they lost a 6v6 cage match against Queen's Quest. A week later, Saki was getting a post match beat down by Oedo Tai when Syuri and Ami from God's Eye came to fight off Oedo Tai. Saki begged Syuri to let her join God's Eye. Syuri was really surprised because Saki and Syuri have had a mini feud going on for almost a year, but she said yes and Saki was super happy because she'll never have to fight Syuri again. So now we have turbo heel cheating piece of poo poo Saki Kashima in the shoot fighter unit and it's hilarious. Saki is lazy and doesn't want to practice or train so God's Eye tricked her by inviting her to go out for Korean BBQ (Saki's favorite) and then Saki showed up to a practice session and the results were incredibly funny. There's a video of the whole thing on youtube but I can't find it right now.

Anyway, the best part of all this is that Saki Kashima's character has not changed at all. She's exactly the same person as she was in Oedo Tai and she doesn't even have new gear to fit in with the rest of her new unit. The most recent event in that Konami, a God's Eye part timer, came back after a few months of doing other things to be in a 5v5 match with God's Eye vs Stars and Saki got pinned by Koguma. Konami did a post match promo where she said Saki is weak and doesn't belong, but Syuri and Mirai stood up for her. Then Konami told Mirai she's gotten a big head since winning the white belt and Mirai got pissed. They're going to settle this over a white belt title match next month and it's guaranteed to be a banger.

Saki Kashima also has some stuff going on with her High Speed title. Mei Seira has pinned Saki in non title matches twice, and each time she asked or a title shot and Saki said no. Then at one point Koguma asked for a title shot and Saki said yes because she thinks Koguma is an easy win. The very next tag match that Koguma and Saki were in, Koguma pinned Saki and Saki freaked the gently caress out because now she knows that Koguma isn't a pushover. Then, in another recent show, Mei Seira pinned Saki for the third time in a tag match. Mei didn't ask for a title shot right away but she probably will after the upcoming Saki/Koguma match. And to make everything worse, as I said above, Saki got pinned by Koguma a second time in the GE/Stars match. So Saki is having a rough time with, well, everyone and everything but this whole thing is my #1 motivator for watching non-5* matches at every show

Another thing they've done recently is bring in Megan "Megasus" Bayne as a challenger for Tam's red belt. After Saya Kamitani got injured in her match against Tam during the main event of the 5* opening night, the lights went out during Tam's promo and when they came back on this 5'8" insanely strong amazon picked up Tam and hit her with an F5, making her look like a rag doll. Utami shows up to explain that Megan followed her home from America after Utami's brief tour there. Megan is not in Queen's Quest though, she's there to challenge Tam for the red belt and we're getting that match this weekend after an incredible build for Megan. She's been in a bunch of tag matches and has gotten the pin every time with the F5 and her F5 is on par with Brock's when he was in his prime. Every match she's been in has been hilarious. They're building her as an unstoppable monster and it's been so over the top that it reminds me of Zeus from No Holds Barred in the 80s. She barely sells anything and she easily overpowers everyone she faces. Some people don't like how ridiculous it is but I love it. And Tam is going to look like a billion yen when she somehow beats Megan this weekend.

Suzu Suzuki won her first 5* match against SLK, then lost her next 3 matches, which means that if she loses one more time then it is mathematically impossible for her to win her block, so now she's desperate and on the edge and is going on an absolute tear, doing anything and everything necessary to make sure she doesn't lose again

Everyone is wondering what's going on with Maika. Since Bari Bari Bombers won the Artist titles and Himeka retired, Maika has been doing her own thing and frequently tagging with Mei Seira and Suzu Suzuki. They've been successful as a trio but there are sometimes missteps and miscommunication that leads to Suzu and Maika accidentally hitting each other during matches. They've had some heated post-match confrontations and, interestingly enough, the last time this happened Giulia was the one who stepped in to try to calm everyone down. This is making everyone question whether or not Suzu will eventually bury the hatchet with Giulia or whether it will just make things worse. Mei and Suzu are also still not members of any unit so people keep wondering if Suzu and Mei will start their own unit and start recruiting or if Maika will leave DDM and become the leader of that unit. I really hope Maika never leaves DDM but we'll see what happens.

Yuna Mizumori wants to join Cosmic Angels after leaving Nanae Takahashi's 7uppp unit earlier this year. Yuna is absolutely perfect for Cosmic Angels BUT Tam and Natsupoi told her that she needs to lose weight in order to fit in with the idol unit, so Yuna agreed and has done a great job getting into better shape. However she's still not an official member of Cosmic Angels and at an upcoming show we'll have a "conformation match" between Yuna and Natsupoi and I guess it's like a final exam or something? Anyway I'm not a fan of body shaming but the rumor going around is that this story was Yuna's idea to help motivate her own personal desire to lose wight but I have not seen any proof to back that up. Regardless, Yuna is awesome and I hope she ends up in CA. If she gets rejected then I hope she joins up with Suzu and Mei.

If I think of anything else I'll add it later

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Holy poo poo thanks for all that.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

cool

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for all that.

there's a PPV tonight. itll be up on stardom world in a few days or on torrent sites by tomorrow afternoon most likely. nothing crazy when it comes to like Story beats or anything but it has utami/mayu which i can't imagine being anything less than great

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1690566144011411456?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

Fight for the title of Best Twitter

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Some TJPW news.

https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1690597995031547905
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1690570266185969664

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Stardom X Stardom was loving fantastic. Check it out if you can. Especially Mayu/Utami. I've got that ahead of Hazuki/Saya Kamitani as my women's match of the year

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Supportive Aja Kong
https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1690677049097162753

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Tam/Megan over-delivered, not spectacular or anything but exceeded my low expectations. Enjoyed the tag match and Mayu/Utami was great but would've preferred it in front of a packed Korakuen. All in all, good show.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Kana is issuing a new manifesto
https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1690917701064204288

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

In Stardom news that's based in reality they had a good fiscal year and made a lot of money according to the Bushiroad financial whatevers. Congratulations to Stardom.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

fez_machine posted:

Kana is issuing a new manifesto

She posted a bunch::
https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1690928857501839360?s=20
The media could not bring me down when I came to America. They must have really wanted me to fail.

I am used to it because I have been fighting my critics alone since my days in Japan.
But now that I am here, I have comrades in arms.
Charlotte, Becky, HHH and...
I've walked alone in the wilderness all my life, and here I have an oasis.
To the Asuka antis, I say, beat me up on the Internet all you want.
I grab everything.
https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1690933037863952385?s=20
When I became champion, one media outlet asked wrestling fans, "Do you think it is good enough to be champion? "Do you think it deserves to be champion?"

Compare me to other people.
Do you think my abilities are inferior?
Can you believe that? I was always fighting that media all by myself.
https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1690966373231648769?s=20
What I just said is in the past.
It was before I came to America.
Now the organization has changed and there are few players I know.
So, I don't know anything about it, and good luck to everyone who's trying their best.
I'm especially concerned about Syuri and Shirakawa, that's all.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Mina Shirakawa replied.
https://twitter.com/MinaShirakawa/status/1691052774182809600

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Mariah may (Heh) have gotten poached by the fed. Crossing my fingers that's not the case. She got actually good and not just grade on a curve good

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Lol at Syuri's reply.
https://twitter.com/syuri_wv3s/status/1691079950982627328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm trying to understand - I'm reading it like Asuka is saying she doesn't keep tabs on Joshi wrestling outside of a few but is glad that she's played some kind of a part in helping Japanese women get booked and seen as legitimate in America, though when she started she was savaged by the media? Something like that? Or am I just missing a bunch of context.