Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

bee posted:

I'm speaking generally here, but in Australia if you make a complaint about a company or organisation to the relevant ombudsman, the cost to administer that complaint is passed along to that company or organisation in the form of a fine from that ombudsman regardless of who is at fault.

This. It used to be about $800 for financial stuff and something similar for telcos. If you have an issue that involves amounts equal to or less than the fine, then often a threat to go to the ombudsman is enough for the manager of the person on the phone to say 'gently caress it' and waive whatever fees, interest, etc because it's not worth risking the fine for pissy (in the company's eyes) amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We have the same thing in :britain:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also, at least here in Australia, if the Ombudsman smells a valid case they will drag said company over the coals just for fun.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

We have the same thing in :britain:

as a brit i’ve always considered the ombudsman a completely toothless regulatory body that exists to give people a false sense of security in industries beset by regulatory capture. see the property ombudsman, the few rules of which aren’t really enforced and are regularly flouted with no one giving a gently caress

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thesaurus posted:

America is proudly free from such communistic practices. We just prefer binding arbitration

And sometimes those companies refuse to pay for the arbitration and end up back in court (looking at you Twitter)

edit: https://fortune.com/2023/07/03/twitter-elon-musk-fired-employees-arbitration-lawsuit-layoffs/

quote:

Realizing the expense required for Twitter to arbitrate the claims, as required by its employment agreements, the company is now refusing to do so, Liss-Riordan said. “Now that it has made its bed, it doesn’t want to lie in it,” she added. Liss-Riordan represents Twitter workers in several suits against the company.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

as a brit i’ve always considered the ombudsman a completely toothless regulatory body that exists to give people a false sense of security in industries beset by regulatory capture. see the property ombudsman, the few rules of which aren’t really enforced and are regularly flouted with no one giving a gently caress

The financial ombudsman who significantly more people will have reason to deal with will happily gently caress up any company that you point them at

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

~Coxy posted:

Someone basically got their entire mortgage forgiven because they worked out the company that held their loan liability had been deregistered.

http://www6.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/act/ACTCA/2005/15.html (it's a pretty fun read, actually!)

quote:

On at least one occasion he responded to my entreaty to seek legal advice by telling me that he had seen many lawyers but that none had agreed with him.

Lol

quote:

However, the solicitors ostensibly retained to act for the company throughout that period had not been informed either of its deregistration or of the assignment of its rights under the mortgage.

They presumably acted upon an assumption that those operating a major banking institution would have known whether the company they thought they worked for actually existed.

Lmao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So here's, as best I can, my description of one of the most annoying coworkers I've ever had (well...still have.)

She's in her mid-30's, so a few years younger than me, but also pretty nerdy, so it's clear her "internet coming of age" was a few years behind mine, the mid to late aughts. I say this, because there are times when it seems her brain is still stuck in that time period. Like...she is a little perma-internet-brained, but for the internet like 15 years ago. She FREQUENTLY says things like "FTW", "epic fail" and, I poo poo you not, "le epic [noun]" and other cringe poo poo like that all the time. She references old memes like that, and when no one reacts to her decade+ old "joke", she will say something like,
"Oh come ON, we're all nerds here, I know you know that meme!" But...most of the people here aren't that nerdy? Like...for an IT support team, it is some of the least "nerdy" group I've seen. Part of it is the team is like half people over 50, and even a couple of the guys in their 30's just sort of "fell" into an IT job (like me) but without the typical background of "always playing around on computers" (which is like me.) so her references really are lost on these people, but she keeps trying. Though she does pepper in newer-stuff, too. Like...she frequently says "unalive" or "unalived" in place of dead, suicide, etc... Now, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the main reason certain online spaces use those terms was just to get around filters/monetization that would flag words like "suicide, "killed, etc...? So when I hear someone say "unalive" out-loud, it honestly reads to me as someone being a "try-hard" at being The Most PC Person because the meaning of using those terms got weirdly morphed into "oh no, you HAVE to say unalive, it's the correct way now!" And I daresay, she is a poster-child for The Most PC Person, where it loops back around to sort-of self-parody. Like...she is the strawman that conservatives think all liberals/leftists actually are.

That alone wouldn't be so bad, but she also has a touch of "Main Character Syndrome" (and yes, I realize the irony of using an internet-phrase to describe someone who I said is perma-internet-brained, but I'm doing it here...ON the internet, not in real life.)

She seems to think we ALL care about every minutia of her life, and is always saying things like "Oh no..." or "Wow..." out of the blue, clearly trying to get SOMEONE to ask her what she's reacting to, so she can then go on about some news story she just read, or a note from her doctor about XYZ, etc... Always describing what she's doing. Like...we aren't baby-sat at this job, we're adults in an adult job, we don't have to ask permission to go to the bathroom, or cafeteria, or even go for a walk for a few minutes. But she seems to either think she DOES have to make an announcement she's doing one of those things, or just feels we really want to know. Not so much the bathroom part, at least, but drat near anything else she gets up from her desk to do, there will likely be an announcement about it. Even things AT her desk, like when she's calling a user to assist them. We don't need to know you're making a call! This isn't like a high-intensity call-queue oriented job. I'm probably not making it sound as bad as it is, but my GOD, she really just never shuts up, she has to be talking about something, so if there's nothing of substance, she has to talk about what she's physically doing. Even something like her sneezes require additional commentary from her. I'm not sure I've heard her sneeze without a follow-up statement, usually along the lines of:
"Oww...." or
"Oooh, that one hurt."

The big kicker was last week, she had some mandatory training she had to do from her contracting company (different company that I work for) so she told us she was doing the training, and it was about two hours, and to basically pretend she's not here. Not to assign her tickets, or ask her questions unless it's an emergency. Ok, sure, makes sense. But then CONSTANTLY throughout her online training she's doing that same poo poo. Just every couple of minutes talking BACK to the training, saying things like:
"No, that's not right."
"Oh NO, why?!"
"Ugh, this is so stupid..."

Again, seemingly trying to goad us into asking her about it so she could pause it to explain* how the training is CLEARLY useless and wrong because she knows best about everything.

*And my GOD, when she explains things to someone, she is ALWAYS talking down to you like you're a five year old. And her cadence of speech is VERY annoying, too. Basically, almost every other word has some odd emphasis. Best I can do to describe it:

"So this training is dumb because everyone knows you can't accurately do the thing that's asked because of [reasons]."

A few weeks ago, we shuffled desks around and I ended up being right next to her. Officially, we all moved around because her had a new hire coming in, and the manager (who's old seat I took) said he wanted the new hire in my old seat because it was more centrally located, so easier for the new hire to ask questions to everyone, etc... Ok, makes sense. But there was no reason for HIM to move. I could have just moved my desk to the desk he ended up taking...but nope, he moved out and took that desk (coincidentally, about as far from her desk as possible) and I took his. I'm 99T% sure it's because she's an annoying chatter-box, because before I sat here, HE was the "target" of all her comments, questions, etc... and now I am.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

So here's, as best I can, my description of one of the most annoying coworkers I've ever had (well...still have.)

You just need to be direct and as gentle as possible about this poo poo. Just tell her you need her to be quiet and she doesn't need to announce everything, etc. You probably don't need to critique her meme game, but basically a polite version of "shut the gently caress up I'm trying to work over here" should be enough to shut this down.

And if it's not then you've politely asked her to stfu and you can go to your manager and complain about the disruption, which in turn gives HIM an excuse to sit her down and politely say "hey, shut the gently caress up about your sneezes and whatever" and then do manager things if it keeps being a problem.

Basically, tell her to quit it. Directly, but politely.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
I call that “youtuberitis” when people narrate their lives for an invisible audience.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I mean, the people that are actually good at it and have a script and poo poo usually also have things like camera men and a director. So they actually are narrating to an audience.

The people that work in a cubicle and do it are probably not good at it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

there's someone at my work who still says "woot" when something good happens

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Seconding telling her she's distracting you from work and she needs to keep her thoughts in her noggin.

I got bad about that during the covid wfh days and now I mutter things like 'stupid motherfucker' and 'you are going to do it because it's your job' under my breath when on mute on meetings or when sending an email.

It only happens when I have headphones on/in though.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I too got bad about vocalizing when I did a stint of WFH. Stopped pretty quick when I went back into the office, first time I growled out an insult typing up a dictation and my coworker busted out laughing was a smart reminder to keep it in my head.

Ol girl sounds exhausting. I wish you luck on getting her sorted.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DrBouvenstein posted:

She's in her mid-30's, so a few years younger than me, but also pretty nerdy, so it's clear her "internet coming of age" was a few years behind mine, the mid to late aughts. I say this, because there are times when it seems her brain is still stuck in that time period. Like...she is a little perma-internet-brained, but for the internet like 15 years ago. She FREQUENTLY says things like "FTW", "epic fail" and, I poo poo you not, "le epic [noun]" and other cringe poo poo…

Lol dang that’s no fun. I had a coworker who also had bizarre speech patterns, ending every sentence with a sarcastic comment. She was painfully bad at it & it felt condescending, then later I saw Gilmore Girls for the first time and it hit me, she’s trying to talk like a Gilmore! With the idea of trying to painfully make life a witty wonderland.

Didn’t help she was arrogant and instead of appreciating that we got to work in a comfy office because 99% of the company does blue collar labor would brag about how it’s been years since setting foot near those peons. Wasn’t high level support, administered Myers Briggs tests all day.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

AceClown posted:

There might be people at my job who do this but we'll have to wait until something good happens to find out

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pyrtanis posted:

I too got bad about vocalizing when I did a stint of WFH. Stopped pretty quick when I went back into the office, first time I growled out an insult typing up a dictation and my coworker busted out laughing was a smart reminder to keep it in my head.
I was in a vendor meeting from home and blurted out a loud "Oh gently caress you!" on an open mic because I was browsing political news at the same time. :cripes:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Honestly, I’m getting a little tired of dealing with the public. They are the dumbest motherfuckers and all I want them to do is lie to me so my job can be easier.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AceClown posted:

Why are you telling on yourself like that?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Whilst wooting I,

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Invalid Validation posted:

Honestly, I’m getting a little tired of dealing with the public. They are the dumbest motherfuckers and all I want them to do is lie to me so my job can be easier.

It's either that, tech support, or wrangling engineers.

I recommend becoming a tradesman and opening an LLC and being your own boss.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Gotta beat this annoying coworker at her own game and start incorporating as many SA references as possible (what's her username btw?)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thesaurus posted:

Gotta beat this annoying coworker at her own game and start incorporating as many SA references as possible (what's her username btw?)

Pak chooie unf

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Thesaurus posted:

From what I can tell, I don't think so, but maybe I can drop a stairs reference and see what happens...

The other big issue with her is that she is calling out more than anyone I have ever seen. It's a running joke here that if she actually works a full week, it's a miracle. Her contracting company gives her functionally unlimited suck days, but she's hourly, so it's her paycheck at the end of the day that hurts when she's not here (and yes, she always complains about money issues.)

And speaking of BOTH of those things combining beautifully:

last week on Monday morning, she sent out a notice saying she hurt her hand over the weekend, and had to take the afternoon off, and then ALL OF TUESDAY for a doctor's appointment. Right before she sent that notice, she sent me a chat message that she was happy because she just bought a new PS5 over the weekend.

And when she was finally back in the office on Wednesday, you bet she had a wrist splint on and was also complaining her car has an exhaust problem and she doesn't have the money to fix it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Years ago I read Company by Max Barry and the one quote that's stuck with me has been "The worst thing that can happen to a company is that it gets customers."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

From what I can tell, I don't think so, but maybe I can drop a stairs reference and see what happens...

I wouldn't. There is no good that comes from this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

functionally unlimited suck days

What a delightful typo

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I recommend becoming a tradesman and opening an LLC and being your own boss.

If I could go back in time and do it all over I’d definitely do that instead of going to college.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Well if she isn't a goon and comes here she'll get probed or banned pretty quick for being insufferable. She seems the type to pepper posts with ASCII emoticons and unironic tilde usage.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If I could go back in time and do it all over I’d definitely do that instead of going to college.

I'd personally bet heavily on Italy winning the 2006 world cup, but sure, trade school is good too if we have enough time machine for two things.

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023
I work at a gas station in the midwest that also serves food (lovely food, gas station pizza, burgers, chicken, etc.)

No matter how hard I try to get full time hours they cut me off at 35 hours a week. There is only 1 person in the ENTIRE STORE that works full time - the general manager. Even the kitchen manager (right-hand man of the GM) works 30-35 hours a week, it is absolutely ridiculous.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DrBouvenstein posted:

The other big issue with her is that she is calling out more than anyone I have ever seen. It's a running joke here that if she actually works a full week, it's a miracle. Her contracting company gives her functionally unlimited suck days, but she's hourly, so it's her paycheck at the end of the day that hurts when she's not here (and yes, she always complains about money issues.)

And speaking of BOTH of those things combining beautifully:

last week on Monday morning, she sent out a notice saying she hurt her hand over the weekend, and had to take the afternoon off, and then ALL OF TUESDAY for a doctor's appointment. Right before she sent that notice, she sent me a chat message that she was happy because she just bought a new PS5 over the weekend.

And when she was finally back in the office on Wednesday, you bet she had a wrist splint on and was also complaining her car has an exhaust problem and she doesn't have the money to fix it.

Lol dang. I had a coworker wander home at noon out of boredom (we were nearly unsupervised) to play Xbox then the next day he mentioned losing at online FIFA so he kicked over his Xbox & it broke.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

SiKboy posted:

I'd personally bet heavily on Italy winning the 2006 world cup, but sure, trade school is good too if we have enough time machine for two things.

I’d bet the house on Leicester City winning in 2015/16 then use that money and put it all on UMBC over Virginia. At that point I could probably just buy someone else’s company and proceed to run it into the ground because I know nothing about running a business

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Kingoffrogs posted:

I work at a gas station in the midwest that also serves food (lovely food, gas station pizza, burgers, chicken, etc.)

No matter how hard I try to get full time hours they cut me off at 35 hours a week. There is only 1 person in the ENTIRE STORE that works full time - the general manager. Even the kitchen manager (right-hand man of the GM) works 30-35 hours a week, it is absolutely ridiculous.

Your state probably has a rule that says anyone employed for 36 hours / week is entitled to some benefit, like workman's comp insurance, health insurance, or a minimal 401k. Therefore the company puts a hard cap at 35 hours for all their employees.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

While on vacation the owner showed up for the weekly zoom managers meeting.

With her camera on.

At the beach.

In a bikini.

And told us this was excellent work life balance and we needed to do it.

I'm not even allowed to WFH and her vacation cost more than the salary of anyone in the room.

But at least now I know her excuse to the IRS about how it's a work trip.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thesaurus posted:

Wizard Master

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

BigHead posted:

Your state probably has a rule that says anyone employed for 36 hours / week is entitled to some benefit, like workman's comp insurance, health insurance, or a minimal 401k. Therefore the company puts a hard cap at 35 hours for all their employees.

It’s gonna be this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DrBouvenstein posted:

She sounds lonely

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

It’s gonna be this.

Its always something like that; here if your regular shifts net to 40h/week or more you are given one extra day of paid vacation per month. So surprise surprise, everyone besides some specialists who have iron-clad union contracts are in strict 37.5h work weeks which is never, ever broken for any reason.

Well except overtime or "employee-requested extra shifts", as they do not trigger that clause as its "temporary arrangement".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023

Coasterphreak posted:

It’s gonna be this.

I'm thinking so too. I asked one of my coworkers, and he responded by saying it was Obamacare's fault and that the liberals are ripping this country apart. Didn't exactly answer my question, but at least I know he was dropped a few times as a kid.