Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

acksplode posted:

If you can last long enough, toward the end you'll get the option to pursue a side quest to rescue someone who fell from a boat. Do that and you'll open up a big new area that ends up being the best content in the game, in part because it doesn't treat you like a moron. There's challenging combat, puzzle variety, a wandering midboss, and very little my-first-video-game support chatter. In retrospect it only reinforces my frustration because they could've made the entire game like that but chose not to. And I find it telling that this section is hidden behind a side quest, they were afraid of putting it on the critical path.

I definitely want to keep playing, but I do wish I could turn off the assistance patter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i CaNt WaTcH a MoViE aBoUt A bAd PeRsOn

i mean there have certainly been periods in my life where i felt this way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DF got a direct response from Cerny about new 3D audio features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-MIABrH_NY&t=1206s

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Aipsh posted:

Makes me lmao that people complain about Tlou’s revenge bad message being antithetical to the gameplay, when you murder scores more men in the Uncharted series.

Lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's fun murder and not sad murder, ok

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Aipsh posted:

Makes me lmao that people complain about Tlou’s revenge bad message being antithetical to the gameplay, when you murder scores more men in the Uncharted series.

That’s a fair point but the tone and violence of TLOU is nowhere in the same league as Uncharted. To me that’s like criticizing someone for enjoying Indiana Jones when they found the violence in something like Saving Private Ryan to be too much.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Uncharted takes place in a world where Adventurer Mercenary is an entire occupation and there's no lore explanation for this or anything, it rocks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rinkles posted:

i mean there have certainly been periods in my life where i felt this way.

There’s nothing wrong with not wanting to interact with a certain kind of media, though your opinion on it can certainly cause criticism if you’re misrepresenting what it’s about in the same breath.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gonna hope that we get more US games with an art style this generation with Spider-Verse and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish looking cool. I have no way of connecting these points together besides Overwatch 2 is in the dumpster and there should be something to fill the void it's leaving behind.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

acksplode posted:

It felt more like the Blue Ruin of games to me. I need to rewatch that movie

100%

Destroyer is another movie that gives me 2LOU vibes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BigDumper posted:

That’s a fair point but the tone and violence of TLOU is nowhere in the same league as Uncharted. To me that’s like criticizing someone for enjoying Indiana Jones when they found the violence in something like Saving Private Ryan to be too much.

ludonarrative dissonance vs ludonarrative consonance

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
TLOU3 should be about Nathan Drake, now much older and just indiscriminately killing everything in his path with no conscience or consequence, just like in the old days.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

TLOU2 is a misery simulator that's up its own arse too much

Make more Uncharted instead, that had way more charm and less mopey whiny nonsense

Nah, Uncharted is boring as poo poo, TLOU2 is a masterpiece. I avoided it for ages because I never rated any of ND’s stuff very highly - the first game included - but Seattle Murderfest ‘38 made a believer out of me.

But yeah, those of a fragile disposition best not apply, even though there are some genuinely lovely uplifting moments scattered all throughout.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The weird thing is I actually stopped playing uncharted because I couldn’t stop laughing to myself that Nathan was such a murderer (also i didnt find it interesting). TLOU 2 though? Yeah you have that ludo-diss, but I’m a big Sicko fan.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The insane body count is actually what turned me off of uncharted, like where did they find this many dudes

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've never played an uncharted game. The only ND I've ever played is TLOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

The media bullied Naughty Dog so hard about ludonarrative dissonance in Uncharted that they reacted by making ludonarrative consonance the game, aka TLOU.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anytime I start reading anyone talking about ludonarrative dissonance in depth and why a certain game is worse because of it my eyes roll back mentat style and I find myself immersed deep in my mind palace playing a game of NFL 2K5.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aipsh posted:

The weird thing is I actually stopped playing uncharted because I couldn’t stop laughing to myself that Nathan was such a murderer (also i didnt find it interesting). TLOU 2 though? Yeah you have that ludo-diss, but I’m a big Sicko fan.

Uncharted is dissonant. TLOU/2LOU's gameplay, theme, and character arcs are almost universally consonant.

That's the point, that's what disturbs people lol, to the point where they are musing about ye olden days of cotton candy violence.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People who grouse about ludonarrative dissonance in Uncharted are dorks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Uh excuse me, I take my Uncharted very seriously, thank you. When I fought the yetis in the second game it was a major spiritual awakening.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

People who grouse about ludonarrative dissonance in Uncharted are dorks

Yeah, I agree, but also it was one of those convos that dominated perception of the industry for a solid decade.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s ok to kill lots of people in Uncharted because they’re baddy’s and also it’s not real

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s ok to kill lots of people in Uncharted because they’re baddy’s and also it’s not real
Sully is my friend and he is REAL

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i lost the ability to bend my thumb at its middle joint so i haven't been playing anything for a little over a month. doctor's don't know what it is yet but it sucks and is kinda scary.

anyway i haven't posted here in a while did TLOU2 MP get any updates or are we just talking about naughty dog games just bc? when i replayed the series over the last ~2 years i was def a bit more aware of how there were tons of bad dudes littered everywhere. it makes the game more fun and challenging. it's def not realistic but that's ok.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sully is my friend and he is REAL

I'm sorry to say your friend had a VERY racist past.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Ever since Crash Bandicoot required shooting Egyptians with a bazooka, you could tell ND was going down a dark path. Even Jak chose violence.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Saying "I know revenge is bad" is such a reductive take. Firstly because I can't even name one video game where revenge isn't at worst unsatisfying and most the time super awesome.

TLOU2's central theme is that revenge is not only bad but will suck in innocents and essentially destroy society in spirit at the very least. And again I'm not seeing any other video game make this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TLOU is one of those pieces of media that are very good for what they are, but I have zero desire to revisit because it's so draining

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Violent video games such as Mario the murdering plumber smooshing poor goombas with his boot

ArmTheHomeless fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 15, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

Saying "I know revenge is bad" is such a reductive take. Firstly because I can't even name one video game where revenge isn't at worst unsatisfying and most the time super awesome.

TLOU2's central theme is that revenge is not only bad but will suck in innocents and essentially destroy society in spirit at the very least. And again I'm not seeing any other video game make this point.

Whenever someone says TLOU2 is just a basic “revenge bad” story and that’s it I immediately assume they are a simpleton

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

imo if TLOU/2LOU made you feel a bit ill, GOOD! Pat yourself on the back, go hug a friend, and wash it all down with a bit of Factions. I personally recommend using whatever 'beg for life' executions you can find on the PSN store...especially on friends who won't stop picking the bullshit University level.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Uncharted is dissonant. TLOU/2LOU's gameplay, theme, and character arcs are almost universally consonant.

That's the point, that's what disturbs people lol, to the point where they are musing about ye olden days of cotton candy violence.

The only ludo consonant violence is Tuesdays at 9pm when Victor Grimes deigns to appear

acksplode
May 17, 2004

When I'm playing TLOU2 it's called fido canine violence

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

I think I was the one who said “I know revenge is bad”, which is reductive sure. I’m not out here writing a thesis, I haven’t even finished the game. But that point surely can be made without some of the gross violence on display, it just seems excessive to me. But I might have just played it at the wrong time in my life too, 10 years ago I don’t know if any of this would have even bothered me.

This whole discussion has been really interesting, thanks to everyone who responded to my first post earlier. I had never heard of the whole ludonarrative dissonance discourse, that’s a really interesting rabbit hole to fall down.

I actually will try to pick the game back up in a few days and finish it. I picked up Infinite Warfare a few weeks ago after someone in here recommended it, maybe I should use that as a palette cleanser lol

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Maybe I’m a big baby, but the goofy violence in like MK is way more graphic and nauseating to me. The ‘Dark Urge’ stuff I heard about BG3 is weird and off putting though im sure it’s not as bad as I imagine it. The squirrel kicking video I saw made my stomach flip.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BigDumper posted:

I picked up Infinite Warfare a few weeks ago after someone in here recommended it, maybe I should use that as a palette cleanser lol

Infinite Warfare is really cool, and I say that as a bit of a COD hater. Game is a nice flipside to Titanfall 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

anyway i haven't posted here in a while did TLOU2 MP get any updates or are we just talking about naughty dog games just bc?

The Doctor...Is In

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3znw9hWxTY4

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 15, 2023

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

TLOU2 is the downer Oscar-bait drama of video games
Yeah probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kilometers Davis posted:

Anytime I start reading anyone talking about ludonarrative dissonance in depth and why a certain game is worse because of it my eyes roll back mentat style and I find myself immersed deep in my mind palace playing a game of NFL 2K5.

ludonarratively, without CTE that game is a bit lacking