Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Holy poo poo.

The Billet Labs stuff is despicable.

I wonder if they have a legal standing for any of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I transcribed this bit because it's loving disgusting. Steve also mentions that he asked the company about whether they thought it was bought by a rival company, which is very possible.

quote:

Making matters worse, in conversations with Billet Labs, GamersNexus learned that the company asked for the prototype back on June 28th. This would allow them to send it out to other media or use it for further development. Linus Media Group agreed at least twice to return the product, the first time they agreed was on June 30th. At LTX Linus Media Group put the one of a kind water block up for auction at its Extra Life auction event, without the permission of Billet Labs. Billet did not learn of this until about August 11th, at which point it was told the block is gone. Again this is despite LMG agreeing in late June to send it back as LMG would have no further use for the block. Billet told us it is now stalled, as it no longer has its best prototype available for continued development. Its also missing one of its GPUs.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Does Gamers Nexus run reviews sponsored by the manufacturer of the exact thing that they are reviewing?

I'll never understand why many YouTube channels like LTT do that if they want to be seen as anything beyond influencers for hire.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
The seemingly endless listing of fuckups isn't even exhaustive, there's like 30 minutes of just going over incredibly egregious incompetence and it's like from within the past month, jfc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

natlampe posted:

Does Gamers Nexus run reviews sponsored by the manufacturer of the exact thing that they are reviewing?

I'll never understand why many YouTube channels like LTT do that if they want to be seen as anything beyond influencers for hire.

pretty sure GN occasionally does, but not on the actual video review of the thing in question.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I love mad Steve... when he shoots he does not miss

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

natlampe posted:

I'll never understand why many YouTube channels do that if they want to be seen as anything other than shills and influencers for hire.

No, there's a whole video from the Extras channel about their advertiser policies and there's a text version on their site as well. I don't think "we only allow advertising to products we've reviewed positively" is as ironclad as they think it is, but GN have earned more benefit of the doubt than other channels.

quote:

For advertisements, we test or use every product that is up for a potential ad. Typically, we identify which products we liked in the review process and then contact those companies to ask if they’re interested in ads. This is backwards from what’s typical: We like to review the products, then if we thought they were good or performed well, we go talk to the manufacturer and tell them we think it’d advertise well since it’s something we can actually recommend. This allows us to fully get through our thought process and analysis prior to selling an ad, which is ideal as it fully eliminates monetary influence. In instances where we have already sold a campaign and the advertiser informs us of a new product it wishes to advertise, we ask them to send us evaluation units. We then internally test the product. If it wasn’t going to be reviewed anyway, we at least run it through some of our standard review processes to see if it’d hit a baseline requirement of quality. If it does, we run it. If it doesn’t, we tell the advertiser to pick something else and then repeat the process. We regularly turn down products from our ads pool for failing to meet our standards.

We can cancel a campaign at any time, and we have canceled 5-figure campaigns last-minute in the past when we tested the product and found we didn’t believe in it. We are strict in any contract reviews and enforce specific clauses that enable us to walk away.

Our ads are placed semi-randomly. Our editors or ads manager will choose a pre-rendered ad from the pool and place it in videos that are the lowest possible conflict. For example, if we’re reviewing a CPU cooler, we work to avoid running another cooler ad in that same video. Manufacturers do not get to choose which of our videos they run in and are blind to our process of placement; however, they can ask to be placed within a certain time range (e.g. “April”).

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
lmfao i thought the lmg testing stuff was gonna be bad but i didn't expect life ruining recklessness

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

jeez some of these linus quotes

for real okay it's 800 US dollars. I don't know guys I'm not sure if I can apologize for not spending another 100, 200, 300, 500 dollars of various people's time

i don't watch their channels so idk how typical of him this is

also this is hosed up:

njsykora posted:

Yeah I transcribed this bit because it's loving disgusting. Steve also mentions that he asked the company about whether they thought it was bought by a rival company, which is very possible.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I just got through the part about the copper billet labs cooler… so sad that my suspicions of Linus being a total sleaze are confirmed

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

jeez some of these linus quotes

for real okay it's 800 US dollars. I don't know guys I'm not sure if I can apologize for not spending another 100, 200, 300, 500 dollars of various people's time

i don't watch their channels so idk how typical of him this is

also this is hosed up:

yeah, its obvious Linus has major small business owner brain and he thinks about everything in employee pay hours. Its a dangerous way to think because he'll just nickel and dime his company to death, even when they've got an apparent infinite amount of money to spend on testing hardware they don't know how to use.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Voxx posted:

lmfao i thought the lmg testing stuff was gonna be bad but i didn't expect life ruining recklessness

yeah, fast/loose/low quality testing is one thing (though the extent/frequency of the errors is pretty obviously egregious), but trashing a prototype product entirely on the basis of mis/unintended use and then auctioning that prototype off is on another level entirely

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The seemingly endless listing of fuckups isn't even exhaustive, there's like 30 minutes of just going over incredibly egregious incompetence and it's like from within the past month, jfc

there's a mention of a second possible video about issues with lmg ties to companies in categories they're reviewing (linus' framework investment, the labs guy having ties to stuff, same for the new ceo) and steve is very clearly holding some poo poo back. this is gonna get even more hot before it goes anywhere.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I did notice that post-backpack incident Linus basically stopped mentioning Steve or gn at all when referencing other people in the industry

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
remember you can toggle transcripts if you're going to copypaste from other parts of the video, too

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
i expect the billet labs guys were fans and saw a good opportunity to work with linus. they send the prototype, hear nothing back, and the bad video goes up and they don't get their prototype back. linus goes out of his way to call it a garbage gimmick product later when asked about the quality of the video

absolutely insane for any business to do let alone one that has over a hundred employees

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

kliras posted:

remember you can toggle transcripts if you're going to copypaste from other parts of the video, too

when njsykora posted that, it wasn't up yet (and no CC).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I am erect for Linus to come out swinging like a punch drunk bum on this.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Charles Leclerc posted:

I am erect for Linus to come out swinging like a punch drunk bum on this.

The response will be interesting. I doubt we'll get the responsible and safe response of "We can be better and we will be better going forward."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah this was basically a direct attack on the very structure and operation of the company (focused on the people at the top while making clear how the rank and file clearly want to actually produce good videos) and mostly the thing they've spent the last few years hyping up as the second coming of in-depth product testing. Seeing the mouse company bring up the findings of RTINGS is another fun thing when you think of LTT Labs. They're clearly not as thorough as GN at PC stuff, and likely also won't be able to even come close to RTINGS when it comes to more general products so the question of what's the point of a broad tester that isn't as good as either of the 2 big well known more focused companies. Unless they're entirely relying on building a reputation through fandom and brand strength.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe

Arivia posted:

there's a mention of a second possible video about issues with lmg ties to companies in categories they're reviewing (linus' framework investment, the labs guy having ties to stuff, same for the new ceo) and steve is very clearly holding some poo poo back. this is gonna get even more hot before it goes anywhere.

i continue to appreciate steve's handling of things like this. he's clearly really upset, a big part being the 'personal' relations stuff on how lmg is abusing their position. he wants linus to do better, both personally and professionally; it's a good stance, one that people should have. but he knows linus is pushing a real bad line and getting more people caught in the crossfire of his business, so the heavy hands are coming out

lol omg drama

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
YouTube clearly wanted me to watch this video since it recommended it on the top - I guess it's doing numbers. Good.

I think LMG is going to handle this badly, unfortunately.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vir posted:

YouTube clearly wanted me to watch this video since it recommended it on the top - I guess it's doing numbers. Good.

the algorithm loves drama

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Voxx posted:

i continue to appreciate steve's handling of things like this. he's clearly really upset, a big part being the 'personal' relations stuff on how lmg is abusing their position. he wants linus to do better, both personally and professionally; it's a good stance, one that people should have. but he knows linus is pushing a real bad line and getting more people caught in the crossfire of his business, so the heavy hands are coming out

lol omg drama

that clip at the beginning of linus basically saying "you shouldn't be so mean to people who are your friends" is loving despicable

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

the algorithm loves drama
Yet YouTube claims to hate call-out videos and response videos so much that they're warning people not to do them.

I still remember when video replies were a thing, and still wasn't a spam box. I wish that was still a thing.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Vir posted:

I think LMG is going to handle this badly, fortunately

ftfy

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The asterisks in LTT videos have been annoying of late. Like, loving correct it or cut it.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

njsykora posted:

Unless they're entirely relying on building a reputation through fandom and brand strength.

It’s 100% this OP

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

That's bloody awful. :argh:

Anyone else think LMG will end up like Artesian Computers, Linus i giving me those vibes.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Charles Leclerc posted:

The asterisks in LTT videos have been annoying of late. Like, loving correct it or cut it.

I'm glad that was mentioned, it's been a problem on LTT and ShortCircuit videos for a while now and has always irked me. I'm actually amazed they even fix mistakes in post given how much content they need to push out week after week.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Just Another Lurker posted:

That's bloody awful. :argh:

Anyone else think LMG will end up like Artesian Computers, Linus i giving me those vibes.
artesian basically got bought by influencer org otk and turned into starforge; we all one day will become other influencers' content in the great circle of life

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I wonder if Linus saw this coming and tried to head it off by not being in charge of his own company anymore having the other guy he used to work with as a fall guy.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Luke does not look happy but he has bills to pay.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The spin will be great. I don't watch a ton of hardware review channels, but I do like GN and their reviews.

I hope that small waterblock company sues LTT for that absolute slimeball treatment. What a bunch of poo poo, assuming it's as has been reported.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

LMG has assets to take in a judgment, but civil lawsuits are expensive - even in Canada. A small startup may have problems funding a lawsuit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah if you're a small startup going up against a media org valued in the tens of millions of dollars, that's not a legal fight you can realistically take.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

If your case is really slam-dunk you might find a legal firm who will take the case for a percentage of the judgement, or investors who will fund the lawsuit as if it's a business venture, but in this case it would also be hard to find the proper size of the judgement. Is it going to be the cost of manufacturing the prototype, or is it going to be the theoretical earnings that would happen?

Yeah, I don't see it happening.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did LTT apologize at least?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rinkles posted:

Did LTT apologize at least?

Not yet?