Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/WH8YZW5.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I think the first batch of hummingbirds babies had fledged in my yard, and all of the new hummingbirds are very curious about me. I was hoping one would come closer to get a look at this video, but they aren’t interested.

There are 3 girls that are constantly chasing eachother around. One of them got another to fly into the porch beam yesterday. It was already pulling up, but it totally hit the support. (I checked the outages to make sure there wasn’t an injured hummingbird down there).

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

hummingbirds are territorial little fucks. psycho & twisted. brains addled by sugar madness

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
They just hate the sight of other hummingbirds so much.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Dove babies at my workplace. Their mom loves my mix of nuts, seeds, and dehydrated berries.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Disparition posted:

Dove babies at my workplace. Their mom loves my mix of nuts, seeds, and dehydrated berries.

Aww! Little yellow goblin babies! Be prepared for that entire area to be coated in poo poo in a few weeks!

Mom might slow down eating solids as she prepares crop milk with very few/no solids for her babies.

One of the squabs that is currently on my balcony. Their neophobia has kicked in and they do not enjoy my presence. They huddle in a corner and it breaks my heart.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

hummingbirds are territorial little fucks. psycho & twisted. brains addled by sugar madness

:yossame:

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Had a corperate spy show up at work, it was watching me...

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Queadlunn posted:

Had a corperate spy show up at work, it was watching me...

coo, you're gettinga dell

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/PYQPXSa.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Ec0xsm5.mp4

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

FutonForensic posted:

Hummingbirds work like a multiplayer game of Gauntlet. Every second they aren't consuming, they are a second closer to death, and there is not enough food for everyone.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Elfface posted:

Hummingbirds work like a multiplayer game of Gauntlet. Every second they aren't consuming, they are a second closer to death, and there is not enough food for everyone.

I watched one of the hummingbirds hover over a wasp for a few seconds yesterday, aiming, then she pooped. The wasps regularly argue with them over the feeders, so I guess she just wanted to take the opportunity to have its complaints heard.

Then, a few minutes later, she or another hummingbird came by that feeder to yell at the wasp and its friend for a solid minute.

I moved that feeder over to the other side of the porch for a few minutes today because of the wasps, but had to move it back after a couple of the hummingbirds looked at where it previously had been then freed from the feeder above where i had put it, looked at the dragon feeder, then hovered closer to me to glare. They were like,”You rear end in a top hat. Now I have to completely rewrite my battle plans.”

So, yeah, there is a feeder hanging back on the dragon sculpture for them.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

so I guess this is as good as thread as any to ask, but I am looking for a painting/picture of a yellow cockatiel in a red bathrobe with a pipe in its beak.

does anyone know what I am referring to?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cynicus posted:

so I guess this is as good as thread as any to ask, but I am looking for a painting/picture of a yellow cockatiel in a red bathrobe with a pipe in its beak.

does anyone know what I am referring to?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/114560384255939214/

??

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/zEEmkI4.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

feet

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Bored posted:

I watched one of the hummingbirds hover over a wasp for a few seconds yesterday, aiming, then she pooped. The wasps regularly argue with them over the feeders, so I guess she just wanted to take the opportunity to have its complaints heard.

Then, a few minutes later, she or another hummingbird came by that feeder to yell at the wasp and its friend for a solid minute.

I moved that feeder over to the other side of the porch for a few minutes today because of the wasps, but had to move it back after a couple of the hummingbirds looked at where it previously had been then freed from the feeder above where i had put it, looked at the dragon feeder, then hovered closer to me to glare. They were like,”You rear end in a top hat. Now I have to completely rewrite my battle plans.”

So, yeah, there is a feeder hanging back on the dragon sculpture for them.

My mom passed away last November and me and my siblings weren't able to keep the house where she'd been living and feeding the hummingbirds since the mid-'60s. I just made myself sad thinking of all the hummingbirds who had to adjust their generations long feeding and migration traditions.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

stereobreadsticks posted:

My mom passed away last November and me and my siblings weren't able to keep the house where she'd been living and feeding the hummingbirds since the mid-'60s. I just made myself sad thinking of all the hummingbirds who had to adjust their generations long feeding and migration traditions.

I’m sorry to add to your sad thoughts. They adapt pretty quickly to change. Maybe there’s someone like my mom nearby who is dejected that she doesn’t have a yard full of hummingbirds, despite putting out multiple feeders, who is about to have a bunch of hummingbirds descend on them.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
That actually makes me feel better. Hopefully the hummingbirds can enrich someone's life as much as they did for my mom.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

stereobreadsticks posted:

That actually makes me feel better. Hopefully the hummingbirds can enrich someone's life as much as they did for my mom.
:unsmith:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I had to start cleaning and removing their old nesting material. I was starting to notice mites and ticks on and around them.

I love the black triangle markings on Walter (closest)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh my god their nest was so bad you bought a new one for the squabs???? i love lovely pigeon nests and that's just amazing!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It was once an impressive (for a pigeon) nest but it quickly became like if someone sprayed it with diarrhea and concrete :(

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It was once an impressive (for a pigeon) nest but it quickly became like if someone sprayed it with diarrhea and concrete :(

So, a pigeon nest

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Mourning doves built a nest in my herb garden. They laid two eggs but only one hatched. They semi-tolerated us, I managed to water the plants without having them freak out after they got used to what I was doing. I started leaving out some sunflower seeds too.

They finally flew off together last week and just yesterday another couple moved in!!! Argh

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The other egg looks... boiled? Huh.

Super cute squab, though!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
About the time the one egg hatched, the other lost, like, half its shell. I kept expecting it to rot and they didn't kick it out of the nest. I didn't want to touch it until they left and when I moved it out, the exposed layer underneath was as hard as a normal shell and still solid. Poor little dude.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Plant MONSTER. posted:

The other egg looks... boiled? Huh.

Super cute squab, though!

could be a double-shelled egg, which happens sometimes. sometimes it looks like THAT, sometimes it's just another significantly smaller egg inside of a larger egg.

it happens because the laying process goes weird with a muscle contraction and the mama pulls the egg back into her body before laying it properly.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've never seen a heron this comfortable with people before

There were a couple just chilling. Even a few dogs going past within 3 or so meters.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

distortion park posted:

There were a couple just chilling. Even a few dogs going past within 3 or so meters.

I want to sit there with them

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Language of the lyrebird

Listen to and learn a bit about the lyrebird.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

distortion park posted:

There is a lake nearby me where people fish. A heron is often seen nearby. I saw a fisherman catch small fish, then target than tossing them back, held them out to the heron, which happily gobbled them up.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

There is a lake nearby me where people fish. A heron is often seen nearby. I saw a fisherman catch small fish, then target than tossing them back, held them out to the heron, which happily gobbled them up.

"This is absolute loving bullshit!" - The fish

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Wanna hang out with that heron

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

distortion park posted:

Her name's Leanne.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Is that a violation of minimum size rules?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inceltown posted:

Language of the lyrebird

Listen to and learn a bit about the lyrebird.

Great post! Thankyou.

distortion park posted:

I'm always surprised by how much bigger European birds are compared with their Australian equivalents. Your white swans are big, and your herons and ravens just look like scaled-up versions of ours.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tree Bucket posted:

Great post! Thankyou.

I'm always surprised by how much bigger European birds are compared with their Australian equivalents. Your white swans are big, and your herons and ravens just look like scaled-up versions of ours.

The same goes with seagulls. Down right dainty little creatures compared to the Eurogull.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inceltown posted:

The same goes with seagulls. Down right dainty little creatures compared to the Eurogull.

Interesting! I always assumed gulls were the same size everywhere...

The trend with Australian bird species seems to be: small and/or weird social lives. Noisy miners have crazily complicated social structures; wrens are tiny and rely on aunts and uncles to look after the nestlings; emu males incubate the eggs and care for the young; thornbills and pardalotes are tiiiiiny; and so on. I guess these are adaptations to a highly variable climate and nutrient-poor soils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Interesting! I always assumed gulls were the same size everywhere...

great black-backed gulls are like if a gull decided to be an eagle

(far right)

It's the herring gull next to it you have to watch out for, though. It's gonna steal your snacks right out of your hand

Winklebottom has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Aug 16, 2023